OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 11:31:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On being received into Orthodoxy  (Read 1403 times) Average Rating: 0
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »

All I can offer from my perspective is to try to keep in mind what the sacraments mean. Why we are immersed three times (in the name of The Holy Trinity), etc.. Along the same lines, I have an article on my blog about the symbology of Christmation, if anybody wishes to read: http://romanianorthodoxyinenglish.blogspot.ro/2013/11/the-meaning-of-anointing-with-chrism.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:56:51 AM by IoanC » Logged

Christina
Troublemaker

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Lord, have mercy!

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 11:22:57 PM »

So I keep thinking about this:  How will I be received into Orthodoxy?  I know that typically it is just Chrismation when a RC becomes Orthodox.  I also know St. Mark of Ephesus spoke against the rebaptism of RC's who become Orthodox.  However, Kallistos Ware said in "The Orthodox Church" that triple immersion is key...so which method will I undergo?
Also, does Chrismation cleanse you of sin, or would I have to confess before Communing for the first time in the Orthodox Church?

You'd need to speak with your priest as it can vary.

I'm converting from Southern Baptist and attend a Greek church.  I was told that I didn't need to be rebaptized since I was immersed in the name of the Trinity, but I will need to do a non-sacramental confession first.  It was explained that Chrismation is like baptism without water, conferring the Holy Spirit and absolution.

"You cursed and lost man!  Instead of enduring pain for a single hour, you have made yourself worthy of eternal torment."  ~St. Christina of Ancyra~
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »

So I keep thinking about this:  How will I be received into Orthodoxy?  I know that typically it is just Chrismation when a RC becomes Orthodox.  I also know St. Mark of Ephesus spoke against the rebaptism of RC's who become Orthodox.  However, Kallistos Ware said in "The Orthodox Church" that triple immersion is key...so which method will I undergo?
Also, does Chrismation cleanse you of sin, or would I have to confess before Communing for the first time in the Orthodox Church?

First and foremost is the question: "was your first baptism a Trinitarian baptism?" if not you will need to be baptized by immersion.  My Episcopalian baptism was accepted and I entered the Orthodox Church through Chrismation as did my wife.  My 'conditional' RC baptism wasn't necessary for this conversion.
John of Patmos
Sinful Newbie

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek (not yet catechumen)

Saint Polycarp, my patron

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2013, 06:51:30 PM »

First and foremost is the question: "was your first baptism a Trinitarian baptism?" if not you will need to be baptized by immersion.  My Episcopalian baptism was accepted and I entered the Orthodox Church through Chrismation as did my wife.  My 'conditional' RC baptism wasn't necessary for this conversion.
Yes, it was a Trinitarian RC baptism.

Holy Father John Chrysostom, intercede for me!
That map ialmisry posted just makes me want to play Crusader Kings II.
Misplaced Book
Don't Mind Me.....

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Constantinople

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »

Don't get too hung up on how you'll be received.   You may get a bishop or priest who wants to baptize you, or just by Chrismation alone.  Put it in God's hands, and accept what comes.   I pray that your spiritual Journey goes well.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: