OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:43:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phos (H)Ilaron  (Read 1818 times) Average Rating: 0
IRHolder
Ian Holder

Sydney, Australia

« on: February 21, 2005, 09:24:33 PM »

Hi all,

Infrequent poster, but frequent reader with a question.

A friend of mine is looking for a Greek text of the Phos Hilaron (or is it Phos Ilaron? -- my Greek doesn't extend beyond Kyrie Eleison! Grin), as well as a literal English translation and then some various translations in use.

Could anyone give me any suggestions as to where I could find these?

Many thanks,
Ian.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 05:29:02 PM »

I believe I have a copy with both greek and english, Is it alright if its in 4-part Harmony for Choir? If its alright, let me know and I can scan it.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 05:42:19 PM »

Phos Hilarion (Light Gladsome or happy), a hymn that was ancient even by the second century, the earliest hymn to Christ, sung at every vespers service, in common English useage:

O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the immortal Father,
Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ!
Now that we have come to the setting of the sun
and behold the light of evening
We praise God Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
For meet it is at all times to worship Thee
with voices of praise O Son of God and Giver of life
Therefore all the world glorifies Thee.

Qui cantat, bis orat
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 05:42:35 PM »

I looked for a copy of vespers in Greek online, which I thought would be easy to find, but to my surprise, not even the Archdiocese's website had the service in greek. So, I quickly typed  '-Ã¥-ë-â +¦+++¦-ü++++' in using the greek language font that comes with windows, as it is the most likely to post on this board (hopefully it will). Unfortunately, I could not add breathing marks or distinguish between the three types of accents with this font, so I put an accents where needed, used and omitted the breathing marks...but hey, better than classical manuscripts where you dont even get spaces between the words, plus this is all you need to actually read the text with the modern greek pronunciation.

+ª-Ä-é +¦+++¦-ü-î++ +¦+¦+»+¦-é +¦-î++++-é +¦+++¦+++¼-ä++-Ã  +á+¦-ä-ü-î-é, ++-Ã -ü+¦+++»++-Ã , +¦+¦+»++-Ã , +++¼+¦+¦-ü++-é, +Ö++-â++-ì +º-ü+¦-â-ä+¡, +¦++++-î++-ä+¦-é +¦-Ç+» -ä+«++ +++++»++-Ã  +¦-ì-â+¦++, +¦+¦-î++-ä+¦-é -Ã¥-Ä-é +¦-â-Ç+¦-ü+¦++-î++, -Ã ++++++-ì+++¦++ +á+¦-ä+¡-ü+¦, +Ñ+¦-î++ +¦+¦+» +Ã¥+¦+¦++++ +á+++¦-ì+++¦, +ÿ+¦-î++. +Ã¥+++¦-î++ -â+¦ +¦++ -Ç+¼-â+¦ +¦+¦+¦-ü+++»-é -Ã +++++¦+»-â+++¦+¦ -Ã¥-ë+++¦+»-é +¦+¦-â+»+¦+¦-é, +Ñ+¦+¡ +ÿ+¦++-ì, +¦-ë+«++ ++ +¦+¦+¦++-ì-é, +¦+¦-î ++ +¦-î-â++++-é -â+¡ +¦+++++¼+¦+¦+¦.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 05:58:26 PM »

I already sent him a copy of the 4-part harmony that I have from my days singing in the Pan-Orthodox Choir of greater Chicago. If anyone else wants a copy, I can send it to them, give me an IM or e-mail. I also have lots of other songs in various languages if anyone is interested.

-Nick

IRHolder
Ian Holder

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 09:55:26 PM »

Thanks to all for the responses.

And thanks Nick for the files -- my friend is over the moon!

Ian.
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 04:44:06 PM »

You're both welcome

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print