OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 02:34:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Rite Prayer Book  (Read 1267 times) Average Rating: 0
Economan
« on: January 25, 2003, 01:56:51 AM »

Can anyone here give me a review of the ROCOR Old Rite Prayerbook?
I've seen it once before, and I remember it had both English and OCS (?). I can't read OCS, but I'm still interested.

Economan
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 11:54:27 PM »

I have the new edition of the Old Rite prayerbook.  I have a particular interest in the pre-Nikonian usage.  If you are a fan of such works as Paul Meyendorff's "Russia, Ritual & Reform" you will be happy to acquire the Old Rite prayerbook.  As you say you can read Church Slavonic you will not be able to notice many of the revisions.  Much of the English seems very familiar.  Of course there is plenty of information about prostrations and how to make the sign of the cross, etc.  All of that is very interesting and helpful to someone interested in the Old Rite.

It has the usual pre-communion prayers etc.   I do not know about using it in my private prayer though, that I would put before my spritual father for his opinion.  Pre-Nikonian usage is certainly the patrimony of the entire Orthodox Church and deserves attention.

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: