OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:26:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Do Orthodox Not Actively Seek Converts?  (Read 1716 times) Average Rating: 0
Studying_Orthodoxy

« on: November 07, 2013, 06:55:12 AM »

Something I have wondered about is why the Orthodox Church does not actively seek converts. On the streets I have mostly seen Evangelicals or Protestants but rarely do I see Catholics or Orthodox people. I know that the church does do missionary work but it seems to mostly be in non-Western countries. Why therefore do the Orthodox not seem so active in converting people?

Is it because of the perception that in the West people over the centuries became less comitted to religious observance and therefore converts from Asian or African countries would be more devout and loyal? Or perhaps they also feel that along with this reason there is also the issue of many Westerners not wanting to be religious at all.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:58:13 AM by Studying_Orthodoxy » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 06:58:21 AM »

Because it does not work?

Remember seeing some Evangelical missionare carrying a 2-metre cross (actually he was pulling it, the cross had wheels) and shouting something in English about Jesus. People just were laughing and taking photos. I'm sure his success rate was 0%.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 07:12:48 AM »

Look at it like door-to-door selling vs. setting up a shop. Which one do you think sells more? The one who accosts people unsolicited, or the one who lets them come in willingly?

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:04:55 AM »

It is not common, but it does happen in Orthodoxy.  Here is some information on the Willard Preacher, a former Evangelical street preacher at Penn State University who converted to Orthodoxy and remained a street preacher:

http://thewillardpreacher.com/

http://journeytoorthodoxy.com/2010/12/02/the-willard-preacher/

In the case of the Willard Preacher, he remains at the same location (Penn State University) and the same students may pass by him on a daily basis.  So, there is plenty of opportunity for the same people to challenge him, ask questions, inquire, etc.  If a person becomes interested in Orthodoxy after speaking with him, there is an active Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF) on campus and a very good Orthodox parish that students can be direct to.  In other words, in that context there is a very good Orthodox community and support network in place which can make this kind of ministry very fruitful. 

There are a number of reasons why Orthodox generally don’t do this kind of activity as much as Evangelicals.  For many Evangelicals, salvation consists of a person admitting that they are a sinner and saying a prayer that Christ will come into their heart.  For many Evangelicals, once a person asks the Lord to come into their heart, that person is eternally saved, is guaranteed a place in the kingdom of heaven, and cannot lose this salvation.  So, the Evangelical street preacher can rejoice that he is “saving souls” by his street preaching regardless of what the audience does with their life after making a “decision for Christ”.

In Orthodoxy, salvation is a process, a way of life, a serious commitment; and a decision to follow Christ is only the beginning.  Such a decision, if not acted upon, is of little value.  To become Orthodox, one must be willing to truly live for Christ, to fast, to pray, to believe the doctrines that have been revealed to the Church through Christ and the Apostles.  While in Evangelicalism, great value is placed on merely “getting the word out” and “making a decision for Christ”; in Orthodoxy great care is taken to properly catechize, instruct, and form people to live in communion with Christ through obedience to Him and participation in the sacraments of the Church.  To make a crude analogy, while Evangelicals are primarily looking to get a person to agree to come out on one date, Orthodox are seeking to lead people into a committed marriage which is a much greater challenge.   

It is also difficult to go out onto the streets to preach Christ because Orthodox Christians and Orthodox churches are a very small minority in the U.S.  This country is saturated with false Christianities and heretical teachings.  An Orthodox Christian street preacher in the U.S. has an incredible task to not only preach the Gospel, but to clear up a ton of misinformation and falsehood that has been widely accepted throughout the country as “Christianity”.  Whereas street preaching is very conducive to one line statements, quick messages, etc., in Orthodoxy things must be spoken of very carefully and in detail so as to lead a person to the truth through the thick fog of falsehood.   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:08:26 AM by jah777 » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »

Look at it like door-to-door selling vs. setting up a shop. Which one do you think sells more? The one who accosts people unsolicited, or the one who lets them come in willingly?

Indeed.

That said, I do think that we could do a better job of simply letting people know we are here and we welcome visitors! Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »

We might actually do a better job, WELCOMING the visitors that we do get.   angel

I love the babushkas and yiayias....but, if they see a new face who does something wrong, they ought not correct them publicly, or give them dirty looks.  At least save that for their second visit.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Studying_Orthodoxy

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 10:49:39 AM »

Thank you all for your answers.

Would you all agree that the West today is less religious than Asian countries?

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »

Thank you all for your answers.

Would you all agree that the West today is less religious than Asian countries?

I wouldn't. For one thing, it's too sweeping a generalization. What do you mean by "religious"? Do you mean specifically Christian, or are you including non-Christian religions? Also how are you defining "West" or "Asian countries," for that matter?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »

i was on campus ( U of MD) a couple of months ago. There was a group of about 15 evangelicals lined up in front of the Student Union you had to pass them to get by. The leader was shouting out some sort of unintelligible sermon like a maniac.

As I walked past the kids would come up and get in my way and ask if knew Jesus or some such.

I scolded them.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:39:31 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »

It absolutely does happen.

Whether or not it is effective is another question. I'm not sure how many converts this sort of thing yields. I'd guess zero, but who knows.

Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 12:03:40 PM »

Something I have wondered about is why the Orthodox Church does not actively seek converts. On the streets I have mostly seen Evangelicals or Protestants but rarely do I see Catholics or Orthodox people. I know that the church does do missionary work but it seems to mostly be in non-Western countries. Why therefore do the Orthodox not seem so active in converting people?

Is it because of the perception that in the West people over the centuries became less comitted to religious observance and therefore converts from Asian or African countries would be more devout and loyal? Or perhaps they also feel that along with this reason there is also the issue of many Westerners not wanting to be religious at all.

The kind of street evangelism and big tent revival preaching you have in mind is, I think, more of an historical aberration.   The mass field meetings such as Wesley conducted and which were perfected by the likes of Charles Finney & co. In the late 19th century had their roots in religious practices along the Scottish-British border going back to the 16th century or so.  They worked in a certain time and place and with a certain kind of theology.  Billy Graham was probably one of the last to successfully use that method.  Look around, no one can quite do things the way he did them.  He was welcomed as a revival preacher in a Protestant culture.  Those days are largely past. 

Now some will challenge this and say, what about Paul on Mars Hill?  What about Pentecost and Peters preaching?   But if you look closely They weren't just on some street corner yelling around or handing out tracts.  Paul came to a philosophic forum and engaged them in debate.  He grappled with their existing ideas and showed Christ as the end of their searching.  This is the tack that we should take today, in my opinion.  Peter was preaching in the midst of an established religious festival in the midst of a miracle. 

After the apostolic and Before the modern era most evangelizing seemed to be directed at rulers.  If they accepted Christianity their realm would follow.  Not so much anymore and probably for the best.   Orthodoxy existed for centuries in lands that needed little evangelization, ie Russia, or in lands where effective evangelization was impossible, ie the Ottoman Empire.  When the Orthodox started to immigrate to the west, except for a few visionaries, they were foreigners in diaspora and their churches were more diplomatic chapels than anything else, in a strange land for a foreign people.  Thank God this is no longer.   

If we are to do evangelization I don't think the dying or dead practice of field preaching or it's cousins is the answer.  We have to be like Paul and engage the people where they are, and open their eyes to the fact that what their heart longs for can be found in Christ and His Church.   One person who did this very very effectively was Saint Innocent of Alaska.  He lived among the natives, taught them, learned their language, and showed them the light of Christ.  And note that he didn't have to revise the Liturgy or make it more appealing to do so.  We need to follow his example and be visible lights in our culture and not be afraid to engage it like Paul.  And after all that's what Christ said, Ye are the light of the world.  We shouldn't hide it under a bushel, as it were. 
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 12:29:52 PM »

It is not common, but it does happen in Orthodoxy.  Here is some information on the Willard Preacher, a former Evangelical street preacher at Penn State University who converted to Orthodoxy and remained a street preacher:

http://thewillardpreacher.com/

http://journeytoorthodoxy.com/2010/12/02/the-willard-preacher/

In the case of the Willard Preacher, he remains at the same location (Penn State University) and the same students may pass by him on a daily basis.  So, there is plenty of opportunity for the same people to challenge him, ask questions, inquire, etc.  If a person becomes interested in Orthodoxy after speaking with him, there is an active Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF) on campus and a very good Orthodox parish that students can be direct to.  In other words, in that context there is a very good Orthodox community and support network in place which can make this kind of ministry very fruitful. 

There are a number of reasons why Orthodox generally don’t do this kind of activity as much as Evangelicals.  For many Evangelicals, salvation consists of a person admitting that they are a sinner and saying a prayer that Christ will come into their heart.  For many Evangelicals, once a person asks the Lord to come into their heart, that person is eternally saved, is guaranteed a place in the kingdom of heaven, and cannot lose this salvation.  So, the Evangelical street preacher can rejoice that he is “saving souls” by his street preaching regardless of what the audience does with their life after making a “decision for Christ”.

In Orthodoxy, salvation is a process, a way of life, a serious commitment; and a decision to follow Christ is only the beginning.  Such a decision, if not acted upon, is of little value.  To become Orthodox, one must be willing to truly live for Christ, to fast, to pray, to believe the doctrines that have been revealed to the Church through Christ and the Apostles.  While in Evangelicalism, great value is placed on merely “getting the word out” and “making a decision for Christ”; in Orthodoxy great care is taken to properly catechize, instruct, and form people to live in communion with Christ through obedience to Him and participation in the sacraments of the Church.  To make a crude analogy, while Evangelicals are primarily looking to get a person to agree to come out on one date, Orthodox are seeking to lead people into a committed marriage which is a much greater challenge.   

It is also difficult to go out onto the streets to preach Christ because Orthodox Christians and Orthodox churches are a very small minority in the U.S.  This country is saturated with false Christianities and heretical teachings.  An Orthodox Christian street preacher in the U.S. has an incredible task to not only preach the Gospel, but to clear up a ton of misinformation and falsehood that has been widely accepted throughout the country as “Christianity”.  Whereas street preaching is very conducive to one line statements, quick messages, etc., in Orthodoxy things must be spoken of very carefully and in detail so as to lead a person to the truth through the thick fog of falsehood.   

The Willard Preacher is the Man! But it takes a specially gifted person to do what he does. 
I have seen other people try and fail miserably.  He is also someone who calls out to students to think for themselves and not be led by the nose by liberal godless professors. 

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »

We expect the withered hands to show up.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »

Here is a short documentary on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F72m9hkiIWY the Willard Preacher.
I recommend watching it. He is a great guy.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »

Generally we are taught to teach by example rather than to go out and try to "gather" in people by marketing techniques.  Only a few can do it in ways like the Willard Preacher.  Most can do it by being an example of trying to live the Gospels and inviting friends to church to see what you are passionate about and why.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »

i was on campus ( U of MD) a couple of months ago. There was a group of about 15 evangelicals lined up in front of the Student Union you had to pass them to get by. The leader was shouting out some sort of unintelligible sermon like a maniac.

As I walked past the kids would come up and get in my way and ask if knew Jesus or some such.

I scolded them.

I was having lunch at a college once, and someone interrupted me to ask if I knew Jesus.  I didn't scold them, though.  I asked if they knew his lovely Mother. 

They left. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 06:37:40 PM »

The Orthodox Church has always sought out the lost.  I think your question should be reworded to say "Why do Orthodox not actively seek converts like the Evangelicals do?"   Evangelicalism is built upon emotion; is it any wonder why a lot of evangelicals leave the church or go to the next big fad once the emotional high wears down.  Orthodoxy is not rooted in emotionalism.  Of course, we may become emotional but such is not the grounding for our theology, our worship, our prayer, our doctrine, etc.  And that is the key.  Our way of seeking converts is to invite people to see what the Gospel is in Jesus Christ our Lord and for them to accept it, not to give emotional highs which do not and cannot last.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »

This thread is predictably clueless as the Orthodox display their mystifying aversion to evangelism.

I thought you believed that having faith in Christ meant the difference in a person's fate in the next life.

Oh wait, no one really believes that here. And I don't think some psychotic street preacher really believes it either, the show notwithstanding.

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 08:24:56 PM »

Remember seeing some Evangelical missionare carrying a 2-metre cross (actually he was pulling it, the cross had wheels) and shouting something in English about Jesus. People just were laughing and taking photos. I'm sure his success rate was 0%.

Remember that there's exactly two ways to evangelize:

1) drag a big cross around and ramble like an idiot

2) sit there in church and wait for people to come sashaying in off the street and get blown away by the chanting and architecture so they convert like Vlad's emissaries in that made-up story.

Then complain that the world is so godless these days.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 08:43:28 PM »

2) sit there in church and wait for people to come sashaying in off the street and get blown away by the chanting and architecture so they convert like Vlad's emissaries in that made-up story.

LOL! sashaying . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »

Religious conversion is a big deal if it's to be done at all. And becoming Orthodox takes a lot of effort on the part of the convert. There may be something that might come of street preaching, but there's more than just preaching the Gospel to those who have never heard. Depending on where you are, there's the matter of preaching to those who have heard lies or have been disserved or hardened. That calls for a different tactic. I don't think the Orthodox Church has come close to employing all effective or available tactics of evangelism, but it's also to be considered that evangelism is a calling requiring certain gifts and certain learning. Few have what it takes to bring one person to faith--and there are as many ways of evangelizing as there are persons, because what works for one may be disastrous for another.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 09:04:28 PM »

Guatemala

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 09:07:22 PM »

This thread is predictably clueless as the Orthodox display their mystifying aversion to evangelism.

I thought you believed that having faith in Christ meant the difference in a person's fate in the next life.

Oh wait, no one really believes that here. And I don't think some psychotic street preacher really believes it either, the show notwithstanding.

I regret not paying closer attention to your posts from before.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 09:34:13 PM »

Answer: Because we don't want to be tacky like the evangelicals!

The real question should be why is it that more people aren't actively seeking out the real faith, that being Eastern Orthodoxy.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 09:51:51 PM »

Dang, Orthonorm much?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 09:57:49 PM »

Dang, Orthonorm much?

Whether or not you care for the way Rufus expressed himself, he made an important point.  Evangelism is not restricted to our caricatures of it--there are other ways to do it.  But we hide behind those caricatures to escape having to obey the gospel.  Just because we hear it sung to us on Sundays doesn't mean we're listening, much less doing...in real life, even Jesus had to wile out sometimes in order to make a point. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »

Dang, Orthonorm much?

Whether or not you care for the way Rufus expressed himself,

HEY!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 10:11:47 PM »

Whether or not you care for the way Rufus expressed himself,

HEY!

I liked what Rufus said and the way he said it.  Unfortunately, in America people have the right to have inferior taste.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I literally LOLed.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
orthodox4life

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 10:39:39 PM »

When I first converted I wondered the same thing about actively seeking Protestants. I've learned that our Faith isn't something to be marketed, rather its something that we live. To live the Faith is the greatest evangelism statement. In my past experience as a protestant, their evangelism would get people in the church and proclaim their faith but nothing would ever stick. Their membership roles are like revolving doors(my experience). That type of evangelism is very superficial. In contrast, when I converted to Orthodoxy, there were people who mentored me and guided me in the Faith. They didn't just pray a sinners prayer with me and send me on my way.

Not meaning to be offensive to anyone, that's mostly my experience.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:41:50 PM by orthodox4life » Logged

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 10:49:18 PM »

So what would be some examples of active evangelisation?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 10:57:41 PM »

When I first converted I wondered the same thing about actively seeking Protestants. I've learned that our Faith isn't something to be marketed, rather its something that we live. To live the Faith is the greatest evangelism statement. In my past experience as a protestant, their evangelism would get people in the church and proclaim their faith but nothing would ever stick. Their membership roles are like revolving doors(my experience). That type of evangelism is very superficial. In contrast, when I converted to Orthodoxy, there were people who mentored me and guided me in the Faith. They didn't just pray a sinners prayer with me and send me on my way.

Not meaning to be offensive to anyone, that's mostly my experience.

That's the other thing I don't get. Why is converting Protestants some sort of super top priority. Is converting other people somehow less important.

I gather that Southern Evangelicals must just be that much more annoying.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 11:00:31 PM »

Aren't they Protestants?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »

If you know people, you will probably get chances to talk about religion with them. There are a lot of people out there who would actually like to do that.

I have held many such productive talks with people, and I am anything but bold in social matters.

Most of the annoyingness of Evangelicals who try to do this comes from their bearing down on the other person completely tactlessly. I used to think it was some kind of psychological thing, but now I think they just genuinely have no clue how much most people outside their own bubble hate being talked at.

Also, being a genius helps.

Having a racist church definitely does not help, though it's not an insurmountable problem.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »

Aren't they Protestants?

Yes. I meant, posters from other parts of the US must want to convert Protestants so bad because they're much more annoying where they live.

It's a regional thing.
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2013, 11:24:51 PM »

Are you referring to Protestants, Orthodox, or both? Some Churches, especially the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, knock on doors and visit with people at their residences.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:25:17 PM by Gamliel » Logged
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 06:05:49 AM »

Was he yelling in English in Poland? Now that would be stupid.

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:47 AM »

Door-to-door salespeople typically come around uninvited, but do you think companies would employee that tactic if it didn't work? I'm pretty sure the same goes for door-to-door evangelists

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2013, 06:23:23 AM »

Door-to-door salespeople typically come around uninvited, but do you think companies would employee that tactic if it didn't work? I'm pretty sure the same goes for door-to-door evangelists

Cold calling and spamming must work as well, at least on some of the most vulnerable people. That doesn't make it any less obnoxious, or unethical.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:25:45 AM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2013, 06:59:59 AM »

I think due to our history since the middle of the 15th century, Orthodoxy has been preoccupied with introspection, establishment of its churches or reestablishment of what it once had.

There are great missionary endeavors in the history of the Orthodox Church; the conversion of the Slavs by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople beginning in the 9th century; and the Church of Russia's Far East Missions in Japan and Korea, and of course its holy missionary work in Alaska.

But the scourge of captivity under the Moslem Ottoman Turks forced the church to be introspective, focused on preservation.  The Ottoman Empire oppressed all the Ancient Patriarchates, Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem, and the Churches of Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria, Cyprus, and Albania and Greece--which were part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate; likewise, administratively, essentially for the others too.  This oppression existed largely from the middle of the 15th century until the early 20th century.

Without elaborating herein, the Ecumenical Patriarchate remains subjugated today in the Republic of Turkey.

Around the time the church was riding itself of the oppression of the Ottoman's, beginning in 1917 Russia and in Georgia, and after WWII, spreading throughout the Eastern European Patriarchates of Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria, and the Church of Albania, these of the largest of the Orthodox Christian populous, were suppressed by the evil of Communism; again, rendering us focused on preservation. And since the fall of Communism (1990 more or less), these churches are focused on rebuilding.

Other than the missionary support provided by the Church of Russia before 1917, thereafter, the administration of the Archdiocese of the Aleutians and North America essentially fell apart. Since the early 1920's, the churches in the Western Hemisphere have been concerned with establishing churches and institutions for themselves.

Although controversial, since the Orthodox Churches involvement in the ecumenical movement in the middle of the 20th century, the church consciously decided not to preach to Trinitarian Christians.  It was under this principle that caused the National Council of Churches of Christ (NCCC) to criticize the Evangelical Christian Churches that were proselytizing in Eastern Europe, Ukraine, and the Russian Federation after the fall of Communism, upon reports of its investigatory commissions, which had included Orthodox representatives.

I recently heard Fr. Thomas Hopko comment that the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America's acceptance of the Evangelical Orthodox Churches in 1988 was the spark that awakened the Churches of North America to our missionary calling.  Only in recent times do we have national offices for church missions.

But, let's remember too, we do have the Orthodox Christian Mission Center (OCMC) doing exemplary work, largely in Africa, but elsewhere too, if I'm not mistaken.

Again, much of our history kept us introspective, but our theology calls us to mission.  And that may become more of a prominent aspect of our church as time goes by.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:07:17 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2013, 07:26:39 AM »

Are you referring to Protestants, Orthodox, or both? Some Churches, especially the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, knock on doors and visit with people at their residences.

My experience has been that most door-knockers are JWs and Baptists.  Haven't had any Mormons yet, but maybe I'm not in a good area for that.  Where I live now, it's mostly the Catholics and Baptists butting heads, but Catholics don't do the whole door-knocker thing.  I got more JWs back in PA.  Haven't had any come to my door here in Buffalo yet.

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »

First of all, I believe a true conversion happens through The Light of The Holy Spirit radiating through our presence. Simply being devices that spread information or asking people to adhere to a religious system won't work and will have to compete against various other Christian groups and world systems that are already doing the same thing.

Secondly, I think one needs a doorway into the souls of the neighbor. Often the neighbor suffers spiritually, emotionally or physically so this is the perfect opportunity to confess the love of God and attempt to heal and help the person. If it's not through suffering that we enter into the souls of people, then it can be through spiritual discussion, talking about the divine life, etc. in order to nourish and enlighten the soul.

So, converting people is actually an every day and every situation kind of thing. We don't necessarily need to organize a mission or attempt to convert people in big numbers at once because our neighbor is everywhere around us and in every circumstance.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:30:08 AM by IoanC » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2013, 09:44:21 AM »

Guatemala
What about Guatemala?
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »

I think due to our history since the middle of the 15th century, Orthodoxy has been preoccupied with introspection, establishment of its churches or reestablishment of what it once had.

I am curious . . .

Was this "establishment/reestablishment" process also, in many cases, influenced by nationalism? Does this relate to the problem of phyletism? Doesn't this help explain the remoteness of Orthodoxy to many Westerners?

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2013, 10:18:21 AM »

I am curious . . .

Was this "establishment/reestablishment" process also, in many cases, influenced by nationalism? Does this relate to the problem of phyletism? Doesn't this help explain the remoteness of Orthodoxy to many Westerners?

I'm interested in hearing Basil's answer to this, but I would propose that while it could be said to be influenced by nationalism, it's not in the way you think.  If the dominant power is trying in any number of ways to wipe you off the face of the earth, freedoms are curtailed, evangelism is prohibited, etc., what can you do to ensure the protection and continued existence of Christianity-as-you-know-it other than focusing on "the nation" (itself partly a construct of your overlords)?  Maintain your language and customs, continue in your faith, marry within the community and have lots of babies, etc.  Over time, yes, this contributes to the formation of a mentality that, in our day and age, may not be ideal, but it comes from a different time and place (please God, let it not happen here), and it needs to be understood in order to work with it and move beyond it.  Unfortunately, many Americans don't relate well to "foreign", so they struggle to see why "nationalism" seems to play a role in "faith".  Europeans, feel free to correct me, but I think they understand "foreign" better: if Orthodoxy feels foreign to them, it might be their own nationalisms getting in the way.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: