Author Topic: A reconstruction of 15th century mass  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to internets.

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
Re: A reconstruction of 15th century mass
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »
Ad orientem and they've got a rood screen. I approve. Now if they can recreate that every Sunday at Latin churches here, I'd be happy.
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.

Offline Sleeper

• OC.net guru
  • On hiatus for the foreseeable future.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »
Rad :)

Offline Christopher McAvoy

• Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
  • Elder
    • St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 02:22:17 AM »
This is my new favourite video. Absolutely fantastic !!

An acolyte, a precentor, a priest, faithful laity, and the holy trinity - all as it should be!

I am now working at with a german who is soon to be a "pastoral provision" (not quite RC ordinariate) priest from near the border of denmark,
I'll see if I can't get him to recreate this someday, brastaseptim  :-)  He likes this video !
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:26:11 AM by Christopher McAvoy »
"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot

Online ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 02:39:52 AM »

An acolyte, a precentor, a priest, faithful laity, and the holy trinity - all as it should be!

I am now working at with a german who is soon to be a "pastoral provision" (not quite RC ordinariate) priest from near the border of denmark,
I'll see if I can't get him to recreate this someday, brastaseptim  :-)  He likes this video !
Anglicans in Germany?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:30 AM »

Anglicans in Germany?

Why not? The lineage of the current and previous British royal families is largely drawn from German stock, and, after the Second World War, the British administered one of the three sectors of what became West Germany.  ;)
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »

If you can, for the love of God, teach him about the importance of riddle posts and altar curtains! And if possible, send him a copy of Ritual Notes and The Parson's Handbook while you're at it. Sue me, I'm a Byzantine who likes Sarum Use.  ;D
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.

• Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
  • Elder
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »
If you can, for the love of God, teach him about the importance of riddle posts and altar curtains! And if possible, send him a copy of Ritual Notes and The Parson's Handbook while you're at it.

I shall leave those details for other priests who recognize their value to teach.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:20:29 PM by Christopher McAvoy »
"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »
Good video. If only they had never stopped doing the Roman Rite that way.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

• Elder
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 08:15:43 PM »
The Canons Regular of New Jerusalem do something very similar to that video, but they have the lay people sing the Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Agnus dei with the choir. It goes very well. I think thats the only type of so-called "active participation" some people probably today would quibble over, one of the ideas promoted around vatican ii period for RC's that had merit.
http://www.crisismagazine.com/2012/the-traditional-mass-is-not-a-spectator-sport (The canons also use riddle posts and altar curtains, btw)

Now than again when the canons use a more elaborate mass ordinary for feasts they would not expect people to sing along, though they always make certain some part of it they feel is simple or familiar enough to respond to. Thats all it takes in my opinion, thats the only minor issue I'd take with the video.

But do I really care if particular laity dont sing or respond much at mass? No I dont, and I think that active participation can be interior. Pope Benedict XVI maintained this to be the true view of participation, not to be misunderstood as always being something visible or audible in an obvious manner as pentecostal protestants might expect.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:18:26 PM by Christopher McAvoy »

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Christ is risen!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 09:29:24 PM »
From Sweden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIODLdz6vEc&feature=player_embedded

How accurate is this video from a ritual perspective?  It differs at some points from what I observe at the local traditional Roman Mass.  Were some liberties taken with this video, or does it accurately reflect ca. 1450 rubrics? 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Nephi

• Monster Tamer
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 10:55:58 PM »
Pretty cool.

Offline frjohnmorris

• OC.net guru
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »

Anglicans in Germany?

There are Anglicans in Germany. When I was a student at Goethe University in Frankfurt, I attended an Anglican parish. The Anglicans are also in full communion with the German Old Catholics, who have become very liberal and even ordain women "priests."

Fr. John W. Morris