OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:23:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A reconstruction of 15th century mass  (Read 885 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: November 05, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »

From Sweden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIODLdz6vEc&feature=player_embedded

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »

Ad orientem and they've got a rood screen. I approve. Now if they can recreate that every Sunday at Latin churches here, I'd be happy.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »

Rad Smiley
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 02:22:17 AM »

This is my new favourite video. Absolutely fantastic !!

An acolyte, a precentor, a priest, faithful laity, and the holy trinity - all as it should be!

I am now working at with a german who is soon to be a "pastoral provision" (not quite RC ordinariate) priest from near the border of denmark,
I'll see if I can't get him to recreate this someday, brastaseptim  :-)  He likes this video !
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:26:11 AM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 02:39:52 AM »

An acolyte, a precentor, a priest, faithful laity, and the holy trinity - all as it should be!

I am now working at with a german who is soon to be a "pastoral provision" (not quite RC ordinariate) priest from near the border of denmark,
I'll see if I can't get him to recreate this someday, brastaseptim  :-)  He likes this video !
Anglicans in Germany?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 02:53:30 AM »

Anglicans in Germany?

Why not? The lineage of the current and previous British royal families is largely drawn from German stock, and, after the Second World War, the British administered one of the three sectors of what became West Germany.  Wink
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »

If you can, for the love of God, teach him about the importance of riddle posts and altar curtains! And if possible, send him a copy of Ritual Notes and The Parson's Handbook while you're at it. Sue me, I'm a Byzantine who likes Sarum Use.  Grin

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »

If you can, for the love of God, teach him about the importance of riddle posts and altar curtains! And if possible, send him a copy of Ritual Notes and The Parson's Handbook while you're at it.

I shall leave those details for other priests who recognize their value to teach.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:20:29 PM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »

Good video. If only they had never stopped doing the Roman Rite that way.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Christopher McAvoy
Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 08:15:43 PM »

The Canons Regular of New Jerusalem do something very similar to that video, but they have the lay people sing the Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Agnus dei with the choir. It goes very well. I think thats the only type of so-called "active participation" some people probably today would quibble over, one of the ideas promoted around vatican ii period for RC's that had merit.
http://www.crisismagazine.com/2012/the-traditional-mass-is-not-a-spectator-sport (The canons also use riddle posts and altar curtains, btw)

Now than again when the canons use a more elaborate mass ordinary for feasts they would not expect people to sing along, though they always make certain some part of it they feel is simple or familiar enough to respond to. Thats all it takes in my opinion, thats the only minor issue I'd take with the video.

But do I really care if particular laity dont sing or respond much at mass? No I dont, and I think that active participation can be interior. Pope Benedict XVI maintained this to be the true view of participation, not to be misunderstood as always being something visible or audible in an obvious manner as pentecostal protestants might expect.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:18:26 PM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 09:29:24 PM »

How accurate is this video from a ritual perspective?  It differs at some points from what I observe at the local traditional Roman Mass.  Were some liberties taken with this video, or does it accurately reflect ca. 1450 rubrics? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 10:55:58 PM »

Pretty cool.
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »

Anglicans in Germany?

There are Anglicans in Germany. When I was a student at Goethe University in Frankfurt, I attended an Anglican parish. The Anglicans are also in full communion with the German Old Catholics, who have become very liberal and even ordain women "priests."

Fr. John W. Morris
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: