OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 11:59:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Reformed Catholicism"??  (Read 761 times) Average Rating: 0
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« on: February 20, 2005, 09:20:35 PM »

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but there is really a site called "Reformed Catholicism" which seems like a misnomer to me.  However, the gist is that Reformers like Luther and Calvin were the true heirs of the Catholic faith (funny, i don't remember monergism being part of the ancient historical faith) citing (of course) similarities with Augustine and other (unnamed) church fathers.

http://www.reformedcatholicism.com/

What say ye?

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 09:44:52 PM »

I have heard of this concept before.  Among certain protestant groups the "True Church" was corrupted by influx of people during the time of Saint Constantinos the Great and went into hiding at that time.  Luther, Calvin et al. were the people people who were member of the true church that brought it out into the open again.  That is how the line of thinking goes.  Based on zero reality, but a lot of people buy into it. 
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 10:18:48 PM »

I guess since they can claim support from the Church Fathers (ie Augustine, or at least certain strands of Augustinian thought) and can claim to be observing the sacraments (since they believe in only two--baptism and Eucharist) they feel they can call themselves catholic. They are also fond of calling everyone who disagrees with them "Pelagian" or "semi-Pelagian" which supposedly connects thems with the Church that condemned these two ideas. (Although much of what they label "semi-Pelagianism" really seems to be nothing of the sort)

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: