OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:33:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One of the Three Cleveland Women will speak on Dr. Phil. Should I watch?  (Read 534 times) Average Rating: 0
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« on: November 04, 2013, 11:42:47 PM »

I ask because things like these really upset me but I just can't help sympathizing with the victim. If I watch, I'll hear all the atrocious, inhumane acts the poor girl suffered and I'll mentally picture them in my head and it'll be disturbing.

But then, should I just develop thick skin and take it in? I'll know I'll probably start tearing and getting angry, I can turn the channel if it gets too overwhelming for me. But, it's like, I want to hear what she went through and sympathize. Needless to say, I'm fasting this week, and when we do we should avoid everything that will disturb our soul.

What do you think?
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:45:53 PM »

You've answered your own question:
I'll know I'll probably start tearing and getting angry, ...... I'm fasting this week, and when we do we should avoid everything that will disturb our soul.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »

Considering you recently expressed that you are dealing with depression, I would advise against it.

Proverbs 22:7
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:48:38 PM »

Considering you recently expressed that you are dealing with depression, I would advise against it.

No, I didn't say I was depressed!! Just a hormonal thing, I guess!
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:50:17 PM »

You've answered your own question:
I'll know I'll probably start tearing and getting angry, ...... I'm fasting this week, and when we do we should avoid everything that will disturb our soul.

Thanks, I think you're right! Why are we so drawn to such stories!! Luckily it was a happy ending for them, but it'll take years of struggle for sure.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »

You said in another thread:

because it feels like I have a black cloud over my head and it wont go away.

If you have a Greek doctor who doesn't understand depression, find a doctor who understands depression.

Do you watch Dr. Phil on a regular basis?  He's a mental health therapist; he's not a medical professional.
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 12:01:18 AM »

If you have a Greek doctor who doesn't understand depression, find a doctor who understands depression.

Do you watch Dr. Phil on a regular basis?  He's a mental health therapist; he's not a medical professional.

I understand what I said but, believe me, I'm not depressed! Just think of it as an occasional 'thing' women go through Smiley
No, I don't watch dr phil at al! Just Judge Judy, and yes at work! But I was following the story over the summer, and I thought just to hear her story.

AND FOR THE RECORD, NO!! I'm NOT DEPRESSED!!
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 12:11:03 AM »

I understand what I said but, believe me, I'm not depressed! Just think of it as an occasional 'thing' women go through Smiley

You mentioned that you felt different in the summer than in the winter.  Your hormones are consistent throughout the year; so, if you subtract out the hormonal effects, your mood is different in autumn/winter than during the summer.

Sounds like denial.  Start a thread in Non-Religious Topics if you want to explore that in more detail.   Smiley
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:17:05 AM »

Do you watch Dr. Phil on a regular basis?  He's a mental health therapist; he's not a medical professional.

You mentioned that you felt different in the summer than in the winter.  Your hormones are consistent throughout the year; so, if you subtract out the hormonal effects, your mood is different in autumn/winter than during the summer.

Sounds like denial.  Start a thread in Non-Religious Topics if you want to explore that in more detail.   Smiley

With all due respect, please don't further this discussion. you are demeaning me and I shouldn't be offended because you do not even know me, however, somehow your are terribly offending me right now. Honestly, I wish I could delete this thread since you are taking it to a ridiculous level.

And who do you think you are, making such accusations? Really. Please look to correct your own ways before correcting others. We are here to share opinions and stories - not presumed 'how ever' or 'whatever' by wannabe cyber-therapists.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:39:48 AM by Faith2545 » Logged
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 12:17:49 AM »

And I did value some of your previous post.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 01:03:24 AM »

Glad to see others are following my lead and oc.net sourcing their life decisions.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 02:07:04 AM »

SolEX01 and Tallitot, this thread has nothing to do with whether or not Faith2545 is depressed, nor did she solicit your analysis of her mental health, so please stop playing armchair psychologist and just answer the question she asked in her OP.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 02:19:29 AM »

I ask because things like these really upset me but I just can't help sympathizing with the victim. If I watch, I'll hear all the atrocious, inhumane acts the poor girl suffered and I'll mentally picture them in my head and it'll be disturbing.

But then, should I just develop thick skin and take it in? I'll know I'll probably start tearing and getting angry, I can turn the channel if it gets too overwhelming for me. But, it's like, I want to hear what she went through and sympathize. Needless to say, I'm fasting this week, and when we do we should avoid everything that will disturb our soul.

What do you think?

There are over here several TV shows that explore relationship conflicts and breakdowns. I avoid them because simply watching, as you write, evokes powerful negative feelings and emotions. This seems to have a cost but no benefit. So for me, no benefit equals no watch. Just one opinion.

Additionally, there seems something really distasteful about the agonies and inadequacies of others being offered up for what is really entertainment.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:19:59 AM by Santagranddad » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 02:20:18 AM »

I do not recommend watching it. I live in Greater Cleveland and on this evening's local news, WKYC TV's co-anchor Russ Mitchell broadcast an interview with "Dr. Phil" about his interview with Miss Michelle Knight, and he also played some of his interview.  Just the initial description about her treatment was too disgusting for me to handle.  She also mentioned that Castro beat her when he found out she was 20 years old, he wanted a 13 year old. She said "he was into teenage prostitution," and told her he thought she was such a person when he abducted her. She was not such.

Pray for the former hostages.  But I cannot deal with hearing of the specifics about their treatment during their torturous decade long captivity.  

(Neither can I handle the scenes of victims on "Law & Order.")

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 02:58:52 AM »

SolEX01 and Tallitot, this thread has nothing to do with whether or not Faith2545 is depressed, nor did she solicit your analysis of her mental health, so please stop playing armchair psychologist and just answer the question she asked in her OP.
Poor choice of words on my part, I didn't mean clinically depressed I meant "down in th edumps" or "a case of the blues". I don't think listening Dr. Phil interview this crime victim would help that.

Proverbs 22:7
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »

Poor choice of words on my part, I didn't mean clinically depressed I meant "down in th edumps" or "a case of the blues". I don't think listening Dr. Phil interview this crime victim would help that.

And I blame you for initiating this nonsense and defamation of my character. Number one, are you a woman? If not, then why did you reply to my other posts where I specifically requested a woman's opinion. And number two, don't ever act like a cyber-therapist by attempting to analyze mere posts, which are just plain opinions expressed. You started a stupid reaction by one equally stupid poster. And why are you on this board? Are you even Christian?

Yes, I am THAT upset. The anonymity of the internet is one thing, but defamation of character is equally the same - whether you know a person by face OR simply by their words. Keep to yourself, please.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:36:13 AM by Faith2545 » Logged
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »

And for the rest, thank you for seeing my post for what the question was, and replying in a manner I expected - not as those two.
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 09:45:10 AM »

Thank you for having the right mind frame and not manipulating someone's words to change it into something that it's NOT and NEVER WAS!

Denial?? How dare he presume such nonsense, the.... And believe me, I absolutely DO NOT want to shun anyone who suffers from anything. But my character, I feel, was deliberately tarnished. Yes, I'm that offended at the presumption.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »

And I blame you for initiating this nonsense and defamation of my character. Number one, are you a woman? If not, then why did you reply to my other posts where I specifically requested a woman's opinion. And number two, don't ever act like a cyber-therapist by attempting to analyze mere posts, which are just plain opinions expressed. You started a stupid reaction by one equally stupid poster. And why are you on this board? Are you even Christian?

Yes, I am THAT upset. The anonymity of the internet is one thing, but defamation of character is equally the same - whether you know a person by face OR simply by their words. Keep to yourself, please.
As upset as you are, there is no call for calling another of our posters stupid, and it is a violation of forum rules. This time you're only getting a non-punitive warning, but if you do this again, your discipline will be harsher.

BTW, even though Tallitot identifies himself as Jewish, he is still permitted to post on this forum with some restrictions that don't apply to the Non-Religious Topics section.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:48:39 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »

I think her voice is grating.  I'm sorry, but I just can't listen to her.  Must be an Ohio accent or something.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »

I agree. There is no need to play Freud.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »

Glad to see others are following my lead and oc.net sourcing their life decisions.
I already have the internet choosing what shampoo, toothpaste, etc to buy.

You really have no idea how awesome it is that I no longer need to sort through a gajillion shampoos now.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »

OP I find myself more angry at Dr Phil, he created more trauma and comes off as callous.

Amazed he is still on the air. Its like Maury but with pop psych.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »

OP I find myself more angry at Dr Phil, he created more trauma and comes off as callous.

Amazed he is still on the air. Its like Maury but with pop psych.
There is some truth to what you are saying here, though I wouldn't be quite so harsh in my choice of words. He might have impressive professional qualifications, but his media success is derived from the entertainment value of his program.

To the OP: will you really learn anything helpful from listening to such discussion? You probably know enough already. Light a candle and ask the Theotokos to join you in intercessions for them.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 11:02:32 AM »

I cannot recommend Dr Phil at all. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 12:42:23 PM »

I cannot recommend Dr Phil at all. 

But I can recommend Freud .

Nearly everyone should read Freud, especially those who use his name in a disparaging manner. I guess the punishment for not doing so would be to read Dr. Phil instead.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »

Thank you for having the right mind frame and not manipulating someone's words to change it into something that it's NOT and NEVER WAS!

Denial?? How dare he presume such nonsense, the.... And believe me, I absolutely DO NOT want to shun anyone who suffers from anything. But my character, I feel, was deliberately tarnished. Yes, I'm that offended at the presumption.

Actually, the only people who's character has been tarnished or attacked in this thread are those of us - like myself - who have suffered from depression, which is evidently (in your mind) some godforsaken state of heinousness.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »

Actually, the only people who's character has been tarnished or attacked in this thread are those of us - like myself - who have suffered from depression, which is evidently (in your mind) some godforsaken state of heinousness.

Classic Rottnek.

SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 12:09:57 AM »

I agree. There is no need to play Freud.

I'm no fan of Dr. Phil; I wouldn't watch that episode mentioned in the OP.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: