OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 01:07:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we lift the PM hourly limit?  (Read 2541 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« on: November 04, 2013, 10:39:18 PM »

It ain't like I am sharing DVDs here.

20 PMs an hour are not enough. It often seems like I am rude cause I don't get to my PMs. Well I am rude, but sometimes when I sit down to do my PMs, I don't get to them all and then the ones I don't get to get buried in my memory and inbox.

It is especially frustrating when more than a few of us use the PM function not to "derail" threads.

I mean really does anyone want more of mine and Achronos' back and forth here?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:52:15 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 10:51:12 PM »

I am really does anyone want more of mine and Achronos' back and forth here?

Sold!

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:51:30 PM »

You have a backlog of my PMs since 2010, you rude pretentious jerk.

I still haven't forgot about your PM JamesR, eventhough its been ~8months. I'll muster up the energy to write a novel on it one of these coffee fueled nights. You just wait buddy.

If the limit could be eliminated because if you group PM, it counts one for everyone on the distribution list.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:52:32 PM »

I am really does anyone want more of mine and Achronos' back and forth here?

Sold!

Darn, am = mean!

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »

We should buy norm a beeper.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:54:15 PM »

You have a backlog of my PMs since 2010, you rude pretentious jerk.

I still haven't forgot about your PM JamesR, eventhough its been ~8months. I'll muster up the energy to write a novel on it one of these coffee fueled nights. You just wait buddy.

If the limit could be eliminated because if you group PM, it counts one for everyone on the distribution list.

Dude you have no idea how scatterbrain you sound via PM at times. People should know you are much more sane.

I wish I could post some of the PMs I have. There are doozies.

Some that some of the women here get are beyond the pale.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:54:52 PM »

That would be awesome!

I so wanted a pager about year ago. The cost is through the roof for service.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »

That would be awesome!

I so wanted a pager about year ago. The cost is through the roof for service.
But it's untraceable.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:59:55 PM »

Dude you have no idea how scatterbrain you sound via PM at times. People should know you are much more sane
I dunno what brings it out.

Some that some of the women here get are beyond the pale.
You really should take your orthonorm column on relationships and turn it into a subscription service for Orthodox males. Do a mail order thingy, include some handmade soap and incense from the monks dwelling in your basement.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 11:00:12 PM by Shiny » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 10:29:46 PM »

put it on Anastasios' "to do" list.  Or resurrect that one thread that had the list that we all came up with post-new updates.

I for example still want the "related threads" box at the bottomn of the page, but i'm too lazy to follow up on it 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 02:35:12 AM »

Wasn't aware of the limit  Huh  . It probably explains why orthonorm has never pm'ed me - and here I thought he just didn't care about me. I feel better now : Tongue

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 03:00:49 AM »

Wasn't aware of the limit  Huh  . It probably explains why orthonorm has never pm'ed me - and here I thought he just didn't care about me. I feel better now : Tongue

Many years,

Neil
Much love Neil.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »

I would think this is a security feature...

It would be a not-so-involved script to write out to PM every single person on OC.net spam.  This way they'd be limited 20 an hour, until they get reported.

Not that everybody would click on the spam, but a "troll" could write out something to bait people into a link on a "trollish" subject.  Roll Eyes

At 20 an hour though, they'd be limited.   Also it may involve server storage limitations on Dbase/MySQL.  I sort of doubt it though - makes more sense of a security thing.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 11:33:36 PM »

It would be a not-so-involved script to write out to PM every single person on OC.net spam.  This way they'd be limited 20 an hour, until they get reported.

Not that everybody would click on the spam, but a "troll" could write out something to bait people into a link on a "trollish" subject.  Roll Eyes

At 20 an hour though, they'd be limited.   Also it may involve server storage limitations on Dbase/MySQL.  I sort of doubt it though - makes more sense of a security thing.
Couldnt that security be ensured by imposing the limit on new accounts, and it going away after a day/week/month/year/certain post count
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 11:37:14 PM »

Or just make the limit more sane like 600?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »

Couldnt that security be ensured by imposing the limit on new accounts, and it going away after a day/week/month/year/certain post count

I don't know.  The thing is it is always possible for some irate person who has been banned to come back and bring the forum to its needs via PM.  It could be a disaster and even bring down the Dbase if overfilled.  Especially if one had a script of trash text.

Imagine 10,000 messages 10 pages long being sent to every user on the forum all at once.

The pm limits COULD be there to keep things like this in check.

Also there are people who would even create long time users to unearth a series of spam...

But seriously is the limit really that bad?

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »

I don't know.  The thing is it is always possible for some irate person who has been banned to come back and bring the forum to its needs via PM.  It could be a disaster and even bring down the Dbase if overfilled.  Especially if one had a script of trash text.

Imagine 10,000 messages 10 pages long being sent to every user on the forum all at once.

Also there are people who would even create long time users to unearth a series of spam...

I get locked out within five minutes at times.

Again, I'll gladly move the conversations I am having to the board, but it seems people have had enough of my posts, so they might not enjoy seeing reams of threads about whatever on the board.

If I copy four people on something, I quickly time out.

Oh well.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 02:09:59 PM »

Or just make the limit more sane like 600?

Dunno, that'd be the the admin's decision and the resources he has or wants to spend etc.

But 20 messages an hour?  that's like sending out another PM every 3 minutes....  Sounds like a fair limit for somebody typing something with context.... I mean unless they are all one/two liners.

Really its an admin thing.  Perhaps if it requires more resources a donation of $ or hardware with the suggestion may be convincing. Smiley  It's all in the server setup, if its on host, or concerns of the admin.  Dunno about the simple machines forum, but it in itself may have limitations.

You guys would be surprised with just how much space simple messages can eventually take up in a database... Especially if they are always kept and never deleted... It just grows and grows and grows, including PM's....

And this message, which will always be on the internet.   Tongue

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 02:10:32 PM »

More than 20 per hour? I think I get 20 per year tops. Do you just get loads of hate mail or something?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:10:55 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »

I get locked out within five minutes at times.

Again, I'll gladly move the conversations I am having to the board, but it seems people have had enough of my posts, so they might not enjoy seeing reams of threads about whatever on the board.

If I copy four people on something, I quickly time out.

Oh well.

There's sections for a lot here... Yeah understand what you are saying though to include multiples.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »

More than 20 per hour? I think I get 20 per year tops. Do you just get loads of hate mail or something?

I always wanted to post my PMs in a thread. I think it would be awesome.

But I am told this against the rules for some reason.

I also have reams of other members' PMs. You might be surprised at what folks around here PM about.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »

Heh, as controversial religiously as I am on the forum, surprisingly, I barely get any hate mail....

I get more "what do you think abouts", etc... Plus some tech support.....
And of course, a few warnings and moderations. Tongue

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »

I also have reams of other members' PMs. You might be surprised at what folks around here PM about.

IOW, some members have sent me PMs from the more righteous voices here who seem to like to deride me. What they say in private is oh so illuminating.

Just be glad you aren't a woman here. The worst I get is someone calling me names and threatening me or something. Women get creepy dudes wanted to reach out and "help them", phone number and all. Some of them are even married.

If you ever want to call a member here, holler at me, I might have their phone number. If it was given to me because of some creepy PM to a woman, it is all yours.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »

Usually, though it is because various groups of people here are trying to keep all the "cryptic" talk off the board. It doesn't take much to time out.

Really, I like to overplay my hate mail. I get as much love mail, it's just more fun to talk about a guy who modded himself out who has to lash out via PMs.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »

Once I gave Shiny my BBM pin, my PMs did fall off about 9000%.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 02:20:51 PM »

Heh, as controversial religiously as I am on the forum, surprisingly, I barely get any hate mail....

YiM, no matter how you might think you seen cause of your monotonic posts around here and the reaction they get, you are a stand up guy obviously boardwise. I am a jerk. I bring out the worst in people at times and I try to help them manage that part of them.

You are just too nice. I am sure you are a decent human being.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »

I'm sure there are lots of reasons for different rules.   My biggest mess ups are posting something not really realizing where I am at.  Such as in Faith issues or something I'll comment forgetting I wasn't in Free for all.  

But for PM's if it was my forum, it would be a trust thing.  As the forum is religious in nature primarily consisting of Orthodox Christians.... Things can be said privately about somebody - then made public - and it could cause trouble.

My opinion: Such as if somebody was upset with their priest and asked about things/complained on PM, then it be made public, then everybody knows..... I mean it just wouldn't be right.  Kind of allows some barriers between "real world" and "forum world".  

Similar - That's why I DETEST facebook.  (1/3rd of all divorces in the United States in 2011 had the word "facebook" in the papers!)  It brings virtual world of "bravery" into the real world.

Hopefully I'm understood, because I don't know how else to explain it.  People are braver online.    You PM somebody griping about clergy or parishoners, then it be made public, it could quickly get back to the church/parish....

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »

I'm sure there are lots of reasons for different rules.   My biggest mess ups are posting something not really realizing where I am at.  Such as in Faith issues or something I'll comment forgetting I wasn't in Free for all.  

But for PM's if it was my forum, it would be a trust thing.  As the forum is religious in nature primarily consisting of Orthodox Christians.... Things can be said privately about somebody - then made public - and it could cause trouble.

My opinion: Such as if somebody was upset with their priest and asked about things/complained on PM, then it be made public, then everybody knows..... I mean it just wouldn't be right.  Kind of allows some barriers between "real world" and "forum world".  

Similar - That's why I DETEST facebook.  (1/3rd of all divorces in the United States in 2011 had the word "facebook" in the papers!)  It brings virtual world of "bravery" into the real world.

Hopefully I'm understood, because I don't know how else to explain it.  People are braver online.    You PM somebody griping about clergy or parishoners, then it be made public, it could quickly get back to the church/parish....

The last time I read the rules. The rules of the board here govern PMs and the admins are allowed to read your PMs. So I figure, why not allow them to be posted in public?

Again, I am no modernist and see no difference between the private and public. But yeah, some folks might have some RL trouble if what they PMed was placed into the public forums.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »

YiM, no matter how you might think you seen cause of your monotonic posts around here and the reaction they get, you are a stand up guy obviously boardwise. I am a jerk. I bring out the worst in people at times and I try to help them manage that part of them.

You are just too nice. I am sure you are a decent human being.

Honestly I am a sinner and I can bring out plenty bad.   Shocked

Oh you're not a jerk, you just want things raw with all the filler stripped away - out in the open.   At least that's how I've come to know you.  I can appreciate that.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »

The last time I read the rules. The rules of the board here govern PMs and the admins are allowed to read your PMs. So I figure, why not allow them to be posted in public?

Again, I am no modernist and see no difference between the private and public. But yeah, some folks might have some RL trouble if what they PMed was placed into the public forums.

I think (now I don't know for sure) but having been an administrator on several forums, generally PM's would not really ever be read unless there was some kind of issue.  (no time either).   I don't think they'd find anything interesting on my PM's. 

Heh, back in time I tried to do an "open confession thread".  LOL   Put it out raw and into the open.
It didn't work out.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »

Thankfully, I have never sent/received a PM from you that I can recall, nor do I wish to receive one.

However, there is a recent rule here that you cannot publish a PM unless the other party/parties agrees.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »

I think (now I don't know for sure) but having been an administrator on several forums, generally PM's would not really ever be read unless there was some kind of issue.  (no time either).   I don't think they'd find anything interesting on my PM's. 

Heh, back in time I tried to do an "open confession thread".  LOL   Put it out raw and into the open.
It didn't work out.

I think I remember such a thread. It was a real bomb.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 02:54:58 PM »

Thankfully, I have never sent/received a PM from you that I can recall, nor do I wish to receive one.

However, there is a recent rule here that you cannot publish a PM unless the other party/parties agrees.

I don't typically PM women, especially married women. I've only done so for reasons which seemed reasonable to me. Unlike other guys here.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »

It didn't work out.

Someone brought that to my attention about a week ago. I missed it. I think someone of us would put many of you in a legally murky zone if we told you our worst sins, or what most people think are the worst ones.

When I did my AA inventory, it included a sponsor, an attorney, a therapist, and a RC Priest.

Before I do any AA stuff with someone, I'm like here is the list of stuff you can't tell anything specific about and here are the names of attorneys and Priests would will gladly listen to that part of your inventory for free.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »

It didn't work out.

Someone brought that to my attention about a week ago. I missed it. I think someone of us would put many of you in a legally murky zone if we told you our worst sins, or what most people think are the worst ones.

When I did my AA inventory, it included a sponsor, an attorney, a therapist, and a RC Priest.

Before I do any AA stuff with someone, I'm like here is the list of stuff you can't tell anything specific about and here are the names of attorneys and Priests would will gladly listen to that part of your inventory for free.

Did AA help you? Several folks whom I know who went through AA said that it was a lifeline to them.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 04:25:44 PM »

It didn't work out.

Did AA help you? Several folks whom I know who went through AA said that it was a lifeline to them.

I think AA is a complicated creature like all bodies of persons.

Persons in AA saved my life one could argue without hyperbole.

AA in itself can be rather harmful and certainly has held too much sway within so called "addiction medicine" and the legal process in the US.

I was lucky to have a couple of sane sponsors. Most are not as lucky.

And as much time and stuff I put into AA, I would never mislead anyone about its rate of success which has always been about as high as doing nothing. But that is a complicated discussion for another thread.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »

Fr Meletios' 12 step orthodox book...you seen it Nhorm?

I can't remember if you liked his bread and water and oil book.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »

I've always maintained Fr. Meletios came across a dangerous dilettante. I think events since my saying such has proved me right. Habte and Gebre should sell the goofy books they read by him.

Really, another reason people shouldn't be so hasty to blow off my opinions.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:35:18 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »

I haven't read the book in forever but I got the vibe he thinks the Orthodox Church can replace real psychological help. I think thats where he is dangerous.

Whereas Fr Hopko is more sane.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:39:43 PM by Shiny » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »

Best line I ever heard:

The Orthodox Church is a hospital and the monks are the research scientists.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »

I haven't read the book in forever but I got the vibe he thinks the Orthodox Church can replace real psychological help. I think thats where he is dangerous.

I remember reading the first page or two and immediately rolling my eyes. I don't remember which one it was, but he was parroting one of those silly convert platitudes, like "Orthodoxy is not a religion", or expounding at length on the all-important word "mystery," or contrasting the mystical East with the rationalist West.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »

put it on Anastasios' "to do" list.

Don't bother; I've increased the limit to 30/hour.  Frankly, I didn't know we had a limit (guess I've been a mod for too long).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »

Like I have said that Fr Romanides quote "Religion is a neurobilogical illness and Orthodoxy is its cure" still my favorite thing.

Imagine trying to evangilize someone like that. I should write up a mock story around it.

You should see the HOTCA video online with those in a round table meeting being enamored by that quote and in total awe.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 04:52:18 PM »

Huh. My only exposure to Fr. Meletius was a talk he gave about the role of the laity (mp3), which I rather liked.

Large Marge sent me...
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »

I've always maintained Fr. Meletios came across a dangerous dilettante. I think events since my saying such has proved me right. Habte and Gebre should sell the goofy books they read by him.

Really, another reason people shouldn't be so hasty to blow off my opinions.

I think you are right, norm, especially with his hasty departure to the UK.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: