Author Topic: Hispanic Catholics...  (Read 880 times)

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
Hispanic Catholics...
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:19:03 PM »
...is there a meme for these people akin to Hyperdox Herman or something?

I made the huge mistake of adding an aunt on Facebook who falls under a very bizarre, special category of Hispanic Catholic. She's one of those Roman Catholics who LITERALLY spends EVERY single day ranting about abortion and obsessing over demons and thinks that everywhere is haunted. Catholics of this variety have to keep a Crucifix on every single wall or else they think the place is haunted, they obsess over occultism, and they give more credence to these oddball stories of backwater Priests having bizarre visions of drinking milk from the Theotokos' breasts for example more than they do the official doctrines of their Church.

Do other Roman Catholics have a category or name for this particular variety of Catholic? Or perhaps a meme? I find this type very bizarre and almost scary. They remind me of the Old Country Orthodox who put more trust in Fr. Seraphim Rose and odd cultural myths like "the evil eye" than they do the Church.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
Re: Hispanic Catholics...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:08 PM »
She's one of those Roman Catholics who LITERALLY spends EVERY single day ranting about abortion and obsessing over demons and thinks that everywhere is haunted...
Does she like forums? She'd feel right at home here.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:22:43 PM »

I made the huge mistake of adding an aunt on Facebook who falls under a very bizarre, special category of Hispanic Catholic. She's one of those Roman Catholics who LITERALLY spends EVERY single day ranting about abortion and obsessing over demons and thinks that everywhere is haunted. Catholics of this variety have to keep a Crucifix on every single wall or else they think the place is haunted, they obsess over occultism, and they give more credence to these oddball stories of backwater Priests having bizarre visions of drinking milk from the Theotokos' breasts for example more than they do the official doctrines of their Church.

Do other Roman Catholics have a category or name for this particular variety of Catholic? Or perhaps a meme? I find this type very bizarre and almost scary. They remind me of the Old Country Orthodox who put more trust in Fr. Seraphim Rose and odd cultural myths like "the evil eye" than they do the Church.
Taking a break to answer this question:
First of all, I think that abortion is a HUGE deal, and THE preeminent issue of our day. I say, not the only issue, but the preeminent one. If a society cannot do justice by protecting the most vulnerable, and the most innocent, there is no way in which a society can be a good one. Our Molech worshiping culture is revolting those who truly believe that Christ is the Lord of life.

Second, my great-grand parents, and grand parents adhered to many folk traditions which one might call superstitious. For example, my great grandmother believed that if one did not make his or her bed, demons would play in the bed all day. She also believed that one must die with one's feet touching earth, so that just before the moment of her death she place her feet firmly against the adobe walls of her house. Finally, my grandparents used to say that when it rains, it means that someone had died who went to heaven. Interestingly, the day my grandfather died, it rained. This was a great comfort to my mother.

While I do not adhere to these beliefs, I certainly do not judge my ancestors for holding them. I would much rather someone see spirits in everything, while living a humble Christian life, than to be intellectually prideful and reject faith in Our Lord.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:23:24 PM by Papist »
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:38:44 PM »

Herman is all about false piety in the name if image crafting.

These folks are sincere.

Sure it's backwards, but an old lady lighting a candle in front of a picture of Niño Fidencio just doesn't inspire the desire to mock in me as someone who rails against consumerism and then spends $800 a year on icons from Conciliar Press.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:43:08 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox-ethnically delicious
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in AmericaOutsideAmerica
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 08:41:51 AM »
Why wait for a meme to mock someone? ::)  Just make one up.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:51:23 AM »
I haven't actually seen Hispanic Catholics like this. However, I have seen this kind of behaviour from more than a few Irish Catholics. I should know, half my family is Irish Catholics. Granted, they have the excuse of being unable to express their faith at all for so long.
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 06:46:04 PM »
First of all, I think that abortion is a HUGE deal, and THE preeminent issue of our day. I say, not the only issue, but the preeminent one. If a society cannot do justice by protecting the most vulnerable, and the most innocent, there is no way in which a society can be a good one. Our Molech worshiping culture is revolting those who truly believe that Christ is the Lord of life.

This. I am generally against ranting, but how can we not in the face of this modern holocaust?

The RCs are wrong about quite a few things, but this they get right. Glory to God!

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:11 PM »

This. I am generally against ranting, but how can we not in the face of this modern holocaust?

The RCs are wrong about quite a few things totally awesome, but this they get right. Glory to God!
Fixed it for you.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:15:23 PM by Papist »
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 09:19:57 PM »

The RCs are wrong about quite a few things totally awesome, but this they get right. Glory to God!
Fixed it for you.  ;D

Yes, yes, you did.  :D

Offline Regnare

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
Fixed it for you.  ;D
"The RCs are wrong about totally awesome"? I wasn't aware "totally awesome" was a Latin heresy.

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 09:35:27 PM »

Fixed it for you.  ;D

Fixed now.  ;D

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 10:07:15 PM »
Fixed it for you.  ;D
"The RCs are wrong about totally awesome"? I wasn't aware "totally awesome" was a Latin heresy.

:( I sure hope it's not.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

--

If you wish to contact me, please use the information in my profile.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 12:50:47 AM »

Fixed it for you.  ;D

Fixed now.  ;D
Wow. I failed big time.  :)

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 12:41:29 PM »

Taking a break to answer this question:

Second, my great-grand parents, and grand parents adhered to many folk traditions which one might call superstitious. For example, my great grandmother believed that if one did not make his or her bed, demons would play in the bed all day. She also believed that one must die with one's feet touching earth, so that just before the moment of her death she place her feet firmly against the adobe walls of her house. Finally, my grandparents used to say that when it rains, it means that someone had died who went to heaven. Interestingly, the day my grandfather died, it rained. This was a great comfort to my mother.

While I do not adhere to these beliefs, I certainly do not judge my ancestors for holding them. I would much rather someone see spirits in everything, while living a humble Christian life, than to be intellectually prideful and reject faith in Our Lord.

+1

All of us - regardless of the national, racial or ethnic background of our ancestors had grandparents. great-grandparents, even relatives down to the present day, who adhere to many folk traditions which simply stated, flow from superstition. Some are baseless, others have adhered to Christian teaching, been adapted and form a part of the pious tradition of a particular culture.