OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 07:44:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Video Series on the Basics of Orthodox Christianity  (Read 1546 times) Average Rating: 0
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« on: November 04, 2013, 04:50:56 PM »

I am posting this here, as it might be of interest to others in the forum.  If I have this in the wrong subforum and it should be elsewhere, I'm sure a mod will move it to a more appropriate location.  There's a new 26-part video series you can watch here, at the GOARCH website

Per the media release I just received: 

Stavros Papagermanos
pressoffice@goarch.org

Date: Nov. 4, 2013

Discovering Orthodox Christianity, a 26-part talk-show video series debuts today on www.goarch.org/ourfaith/discovering and
www.youtube.com/greekorthodoxchurch
.  Today's program, "What is Orthodox Christianity?" features Rev. Dr. Thomas Fitzgerald and Rev. Dr. John Chryssavgis.  Sponsored by the Leadership 100 Endowment Fund and produced by Greek Orthodox Telecommunications (GOTelecom). 
For more information please contact GOTelecom at 212.570.3588 or email gotel@goarch.org.

Per this same release, they included the list of topics and presenters for each installment:

1) What is Orthodox Christianity? - Rev. Dr. Thomas Fitzgerald and Rev. Dr. John Chryssavgis
2) The Bible in the Orthodox Church – The Old Testament -Rev. Dr. Harry Pappas
3) The Bible in the Orthodox Church – The New Testament - Rev. Dr. Eugen Pentiuc and Dr. Bruce Beck
4) Worship in Life - Rev. Dr. Alkiviadis Calivas and Rev. Dr. Philip Zymaris
5) The Orthodox Liturgical Year - Rev. Dr. Philip Zymaris and Rev. Fr. John Vlahos
6) The House of God – Iconography - Dr. Helen C. Evans and Dr. Anton C. Vrame
7) The House of God – Architecture, Vestments the Religious Articles - Dr. Helen C. Evans and Dr. Anton C. Vrame
8 ) Music in the Orthodox Church - Archdeacon Panteleimon Papadopoulos, Dr. Vicki Pappas and Dr. Grammenos Karanos
9) The Early Church - Dr. Demetrios S. Katos and Dr. James C. Skedros
10) The Modern Church – the Growth of the Orthodox Church in America -Fr. Mark Arey and Dr. Anton C. Vrame
11) The Ecumenical Patriarchate – Aspects of Past and Present: Archbishop Demetrios of America
12) Orthodoxy and Other Faith Tradition - Metropolitan Methodios of Boston and Rev. Dr. Demetrios Tonias
13) Orthodoxy: Faith In Action - Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit and Fr. John Vlahos
14) The Orthodox Stance on Moral the Social Issues - Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit, and V. Rev. Dr. Nathanael Symeonides
15) Saints and Martyrs of the Orthodox Church - Rev. Dr. John Chryssavgis and Dr. James C. Skedros
16) The Changing Orthodox Family - Rev. Fr. Constantine L. Sitaras and Presbytera Kerry Pappas
17) Orthodoxy and Our Youth - Fr. Jason Roll and Eva Kokinos
18) Ministering to our Elderly -V. Rev. Dr. Nathanael Symeonides
19) Orthodoxy in a New Media Age - Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh and Theo Nicolakis
20) Faith and Pop Culture - Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh
21) Patristics – The Fathers of the Church - Rev. Dr. John Chryssavgis and Dr. James C. Skedros
22 ) The Ethics of Orthodoxy - Metropolitan Nicholas of Detroit and Rev. Dr. Mark Sietsema
23) An Interpretation of Psalm 8 – A Bible study;
24) An Interpretation of the Gospel of Luke, Chapter 19, Verses 1-10 – A Bible study;
25) An Interpretation of St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans, Chapter 8,, Verses 31–39 – A Bible study;
26) An Interpretation of the First Epistle of St. John, Chapter 4, Verses 7–16 – A Bible study.

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 04:58:48 PM »

Discovering Orthodox Christianity, a 26-part talk-show video series debuts today on www.goarch.org/ourfaith/discovering and

We're sorry, but that page doesn't exist…

Taking out the "and":

http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/discovering

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:02:22 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 06:03:46 PM »

We're sorry, but that page doesn't exist…

Taking out the "and":

http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/discovering

Thanks.  I accidentally combined two urls, and for whatever reason, it's not giving me the option to 'modify' the post.  Maybe because it was moved and no longer remembers that I'm the one that posted it. lol.

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:11:14 PM »

Thanks for posting this!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: