OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:13:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't understand this section (Morey Refutation Project)  (Read 399 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 10, 2009, 12:09:08 AM »

Why does this section of the forum exist?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:02:13 PM by Fr. George » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 08:36:05 AM »

Why does this section of the forum exist?

A VERY good question. We've apparently lost a project here; one I've needed to proceed.  Huh

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »

WHAT IS HAPPENING!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:40:18 PM »

WHAT IS HAPPENING!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

No need to be excited....

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 02:51:11 PM »

There's a conspiracy afoot....

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:43:59 AM »

Who is Morey, and why are we refuting his book? police

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 03:29:37 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Eastern-Orthodoxy-Christian-Robert-Morey/dp/1931230358

"To many Americans, Eastern Orthodoxy is limited to such ethnic immigrant communities as the Greek, Russian, Syrian, and Coptic churches. The Greek Orthodox Church is primarily known for its annual festivals. The Evangelical and Orthodox worlds are basically isolated from each other. To many Christians, Eastern Orthodoxy is simply Roman Catholicism without a Pope. But beginning in the 1980's, thousands of evangelical pastors, missionaries and artists converted to Eastern Orthodoxy. The Orthodox Church in America has now experienced the largest mass conversions in its history. Dr. Robert Morey (PhD., DMin, DD, MDiv., BA) has spent over five years investigating the truth claims of Eastern Orthodoxy. With meticulous research and massive documentation, Dr. Morey has traced the historical and philosophic origins of its doctrines and rituals, and has now written the definitive Evangelical response to Eastern Orthodoxy. This work has already received international recognition for its careful scholarship, logical analysis, and biblical insight into the history and teachings of Eastern Orthodoxy and will be considered the classic Evangelical response to the Eastern Church for many years to come."

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »

"To many Americans, Eastern Orthodoxy is limited to such ethnic immigrant communities as the Greek, Russian, Syrian, and Coptic churches. The Greek Orthodox Church is primarily known for its annual festivals. The Evangelical and Orthodox worlds are basically isolated from each other. To many Christians, Eastern Orthodoxy is simply Roman Catholicism without a Pope. But beginning in the 1980's, thousands of evangelical pastors, missionaries and artists converted to Eastern Orthodoxy. The Orthodox Church in America has now experienced the largest mass conversions in its history. Dr. Robert Morey (PhD., DMin, DD, MDiv., BA) has spent over five years investigating the truth claims of Eastern Orthodoxy. With meticulous research and massive documentation, Dr. Morey has traced the historical and philosophic origins of its doctrines and rituals, and has now written the definitive Evangelical response to Eastern Orthodoxy. This work has already received international recognition for its careful scholarship, logical analysis, and biblical insight into the history and teachings of Eastern Orthodoxy and will be considered the classic Evangelical response to the Eastern Church for many years to come."

Oh... ok Smiley Thanks. However, while I realise that everything in Orthodoxy happens very... slowly... isn't this a bit crazy-slow?  Cool

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »

Yes, it does seem rather slow.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 01:15:47 PM »

The fact that Morey didn't know that the Syriac and Coptic Orthodox Churches are not in communion with Chalcedonian Orthodoxy already shows that the book probably lacks credibility.

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »

The fact that Morey didn't know that the Syriac and Coptic Orthodox Churches are not in communion with Chalcedonian Orthodoxy already shows that the book probably lacks credibility.

Yeah. But FYI the Antiochians are also "Syrian."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »

I realize that, but almost always the phrase "Syrian Church" denotes the Non-Chalcedonian Syriac Orthodox Church. The point being, is that the fact that he lumped non-Chalcedonian Orthodoxy with Chalcedonian Orthodoxy already shows how irresponsible his research is. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:42:00 PM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »

Not to mention he apparently thinks you Copts are all Origenists.  laugh

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 07:08:40 PM »

Not to mention he apparently thinks you Copts are all Origenists.  laugh
LOL. Coptic monks and Patriarchs (supposedly) murdered people just to purge the Alexandria of Origenism.

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 04:33:52 AM »

Evangelicals converted by the thousands?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 08:01:46 AM »

Oh... ok Smiley Thanks. However, while I realise that everything in Orthodoxy happens very... slowly... isn't this a bit crazy-slow?  Cool

Perhaps nobody here wants to waste their time reading it.  Or some here have read it but they don't want to waste their time responding to such idiocy.  When you have a whole book full of idiocy, where does one begin?
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 04:20:57 PM »

I agree with Jah777 that this book is probably full of typical Evangelical propaganda seeking to defame Orthodoxy. But, has anyone here bothered to read this book? If so, what did you think of it?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »

This thread has the answer: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14362.0.html

A group of people was going to examine his book and compile point-by-point refutations of his assertions about Orthodoxy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 01:50:27 PM »

I don't really understand it either, but do it anyway.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »

I was just happy to see someone else remembered Morey Amsterdam.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: