Author Topic: Will Islam take over the world?  (Read 5368 times)

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Will Islam take over the world?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »
Oh man, I actually did Danny Thomas spit take with my Sprite on that one. 

You mean an Amos Muzyad Ya'qub Kairouz spit take? I guess he changed it to make his spit takes sound more "Western". :P

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Protokentarchos
  • St. John the Merciful
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
Do magic carpets come from Islam?

My investigation into the matter indicates that they originate from Super Mario Bros. 2
A game ahead of its time. Always was a personal favorite.

But really I get confused if it was an Arab or Indian thing. I mean I was gonna bring up Aladdin and all...

According to Islamic tradition, King Solomon owned a magic carpet.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:02:38 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (4/6/2015)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

قدوس لله قدوس القوي قدوس الذي لا يموت ارحمنا

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
  • Archon
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »
But really I get confused if it was an Arab or Indian thing. I mean I was gonna bring up Aladdin and all...

A tale which was originally set in the China, or at least one of it's Western, Uyghur-populated provinces.  But yeah, magic carpets were probably part of a widespread pre-Islamic mythos.  I love the One Thousand and One Nights, and if I remember correctly, Prince Hussein acquired his carpet in Vijayanagar ("Victory City") in southwest India.  It might've originated in Jewish mythology, since King Solomon supposedly had an enormous flying carpet, but a lot of that was glommed onto by Islamic authors as well.  Oops.  It's getting a bit multi-culti in here.  Don't want to set the National Front thugs off.  ::)

I didn't notice it either, but ^ you should win some sort of prize for this post. I can't stop laughing.... To think that there are folks who post and who would conclude that rapture fearing millenialists just might be Catholics, might be scarier than than anything else.

Yeah, those crazy Catholics and their Kirk Cameron "Left Behind" movies.  Well, we didn't get the reptilians into the conversation (yet), but we did get the National Front & co., which is the next best thing, and equally ludicrous.

And what if the guy that looks like Khalid is cradle Orthodox? Not so implausible, is it?  Then what?? ? ??

Not so implausible at all.  Like the Greek priest who got beaten up with a tire iron by a racist moron because said moron thought the priest "looked like an al-Qaeda"?

Speaking of the National Front and other mouth-breathing troglodytes lumping all "Middle Eastern lookin'" folks together, I once knew some Copts from England who were initially attracted to some of the anti-Islamic rhetoric spouted by one of the parties "real Britishers" (Idris Elba?) should endorse...until they figured out that said thugs wanted them out of the UK as well - Christian or no - simply because they "looked like Pakis to them".

You mean an Amos Muzyad Ya'qub Kairouz spit take? I guess he changed it to make his spit takes sound more "Western". :P

Perhaps for fear of chest-pounding barbarians bemoaning the fact that their once lily-white island is no longer such and NEVER SHALL BE AGAIN?  I kid, I kid the National Front.

Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/