OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:25:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Islam take over the world?  (Read 3813 times) Average Rating: 0
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »

Oh man, I actually did Danny Thomas spit take with my Sprite on that one. 

You mean an Amos Muzyad Ya'qub Kairouz spit take? I guess he changed it to make his spit takes sound more "Western". Tongue

xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »

Do magic carpets come from Islam?

My investigation into the matter indicates that they originate from Super Mario Bros. 2
A game ahead of its time. Always was a personal favorite.

But really I get confused if it was an Arab or Indian thing. I mean I was gonna bring up Aladdin and all...

According to Islamic tradition, King Solomon owned a magic carpet.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:02:38 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »

But really I get confused if it was an Arab or Indian thing. I mean I was gonna bring up Aladdin and all...

A tale which was originally set in the China, or at least one of it's Western, Uyghur-populated provinces.  But yeah, magic carpets were probably part of a widespread pre-Islamic mythos.  I love the One Thousand and One Nights, and if I remember correctly, Prince Hussein acquired his carpet in Vijayanagar ("Victory City") in southwest India.  It might've originated in Jewish mythology, since King Solomon supposedly had an enormous flying carpet, but a lot of that was glommed onto by Islamic authors as well.  Oops.  It's getting a bit multi-culti in here.  Don't want to set the National Front thugs off.  Roll Eyes

I didn't notice it either, but ^ you should win some sort of prize for this post. I can't stop laughing.... To think that there are folks who post and who would conclude that rapture fearing millenialists just might be Catholics, might be scarier than than anything else.

Yeah, those crazy Catholics and their Kirk Cameron "Left Behind" movies.  Well, we didn't get the reptilians into the conversation (yet), but we did get the National Front & co., which is the next best thing, and equally ludicrous.

And what if the guy that looks like Khalid is cradle Orthodox? Not so implausible, is it?  Then what?? ? ??

Not so implausible at all.  Like the Greek priest who got beaten up with a tire iron by a racist moron because said moron thought the priest "looked like an al-Qaeda"?

Speaking of the National Front and other mouth-breathing troglodytes lumping all "Middle Eastern lookin'" folks together, I once knew some Copts from England who were initially attracted to some of the anti-Islamic rhetoric spouted by one of the parties "real Britishers" (Idris Elba?) should endorse...until they figured out that said thugs wanted them out of the UK as well - Christian or no - simply because they "looked like Pakis to them".

You mean an Amos Muzyad Ya'qub Kairouz spit take? I guess he changed it to make his spit takes sound more "Western". Tongue

Perhaps for fear of chest-pounding barbarians bemoaning the fact that their once lily-white island is no longer such and NEVER SHALL BE AGAIN?  I kid, I kid the National Front.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: