OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:16:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: People preferred a musical record to itself  (Read 299 times) Average Rating: 0
Simkins
Elder

Faith: Православный

« on: November 04, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »

In the 1930s, Pitirim A. Sorokin and J.W. Boldyreff conducted the most interesting experiment. They told their participants that they are going to play two variations of the same theme by two prominent composers. They declared that musical critics say that the first variation is a masterpiece, while the second is an exaggerated imitation, totally deficient in self-subsistence and beauty. They said that that the aim of the experiment is to see whether laymen agree with the experts. Afterwards, experimenters played the same record twice...

Keep reading.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »

There was a story in a High fidelity magazine that was similar, it was about a man who had a turntable that needed a new needle, and so he went to the store and bought the very most expensive diamond stylus they had.

He took it home and called a friend who was good with electronics to help him install it, when the friend arrived he showed him the new stylus explaining how it was the most advanced and expensive available, then his friend said he would start work installing it, so the owner went in the kitchen to get some drinks for them.He was still in the kitchen when he heard his favorite record start playing, and he noticed right away that it seemed to sound better than it ever had before, he ran in the living room where it was playing , and was immediately stunned by the glorious sound coming from his stereo, never before had he heard such lush and full sound from his stereo,he said that it never sounded so good with the old stylus and it was well worth the extra he paid for it.

His friend said when he examined the turntable there was nothing wrong with the old needle and all he did was connect a broken connection , and that it was the same needle they had always enjoyed before.

This happens all the time with pro recording artist too, they will ask for a change in the mix and before you can do anything, they think it is better because you already fixed it.

It is also why when testing new drugs for effectiveness against health problems, the doctors all use double blind guidelines where neither doctor or patient knows who is getting the placebo and who is getting the real drug. In the past when this was not the standard , new drugs were given much more favorable ratings , only because the patient was getting the placebo effect, where one thinks it is better based on the hype and hope of a new drug that will cure him.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:56:55 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Simkins
Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:25:53 AM »

There was a story in a High fidelity magazine
Do you remember what year was it? Perhaps, it is possible to find the article.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »

There was a story in a High fidelity magazine
Do you remember what year was it? Perhaps, it is possible to find the article.
I could not tell you, it was in the 1980s, and I do not even remember which HI-FI magazine it was in, I read several back then.

It is a subject that has been covered by many in different ways though, I seem to remember a similar one using a new tube amplifier that was extremely expensive, Like 10,000 dollars for a hundred watt amp that would normally be under $1,000. People act this way still all the time, thinking that they can hear the difference, but when subjected to vigorous blind tests they cannot tell the difference, sometimes there is hardly a difference in the specifications when tested side by side . That is not to say that there are not differences in some cases, just that people tend to hear what they want to hear.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:47:55 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Simkins
Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »

It is a subject that has been covered by many in different ways
I am not surprised. This is a very general phenomena. I know  several cases in art, literature, and science. But haven't seen one documented case with electronics equipment.

People act this way still all the time, thinking that they can hear the difference, but when subjected to vigorous blind tests they cannot tell the difference
Just like in the case of telepathy and similar things.
Simkins
Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:37:30 PM »

Remarkably, there is a documented case when the very experts whose job is to teach laymen which music to like had themselves prefer a musical record to itself

http://ecclesiastes911.net/music_critics_trash_and_praiese_the_same_record/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: