OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 11:24:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope wants to step up fight against modern slavery  (Read 767 times) Average Rating: 0
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: November 04, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »

Pope Francis wants action against modern forms of slavery including forced labour and prostitution, the Vatican said Monday after a meeting of experts called by the pontiff to debate the problem.

Dozens of academics, doctors and clerics were hosted by the Vatican to discuss issues close to the pope's heart, including the struggle against organ trafficking and people smuggling.

http://www.france24.com/en/20131104-pope-wants-step-fight-against-modern-slavery
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:49:19 PM »

All well and good, I suppose, and I hope we might see positive results. But isn't this something of a motherhood issue? Is there anybody who isn't calling for an end to slavery?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 04:30:38 PM »

All well and good, I suppose, and I hope we might see positive results. But isn't this something of a motherhood issue? Is there anybody who isn't calling for an end to slavery?

Most multinationals. Well they might sign some charter against it, but they are speculating for it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:30:53 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 05:12:54 PM »

Most multinationals. Well they might sign some charter against it, but they are speculating for it.
I understand exactly what you mean, and you're quite right. Even more, that in some sense it means those of us (let's admit it, most of us) who shop for cheap goods produced in squalid conditions in Bangladesh and other places we know next to nothing about.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »

I understand exactly what you mean, and you're quite right. Even more, that in some sense it means those of us (let's admit it, most of us) who shop for cheap goods produced in squalid conditions in Bangladesh and other places we know next to nothing about.

Or designer ones.

If you are using a computer or any sorta or "device", good luck not rewarding someone for horrendous labor practices.

Oh well.

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »

It also is part of wealthy nations, where people are paid less than what they received from slave owners in the 1800s, such as a place to sleep and food and clothes. Many people work full time and cannot afford the basics.

Some may have even been better off as slaves back then, there were some generous slave owners such as Thomas Jefferson, who also would free them after the owners died or before sometimes.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »

It also is part of wealthy nations, where people are paid less than what they received from slave owners in the 1800s, such as a place to sleep and food and clothes. Many people work full time and cannot afford the basics.

Some may have even been better off as slaves back then, there were some generous slave owners such as Thomas Jefferson, who also would free them after the owners died or before sometimes.
Jefferson freed no more than 10 slaves in his last will. The other 130 or so were sold months after his death, in order to pay off his debts.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 10:23:34 AM »

Slavery, in the form most of us would recognise it, still exists and quite clearly those who benefit from it welcome it. Variants too exist little different, such as those tragically trafficked for prostituation. This is a big problem internationally. Then there is the form found in Bangladesh and elsewhere were consumer goods are produced by folks locked in sweat shops and paid a pittance. We buy those goods from stores and brands that are household names. Other forms include what amount to house slaves, suffering physical, sexual and emotional abuse. The perpetrators include - on the basis of cases that have been exposed - diplomats, professionals and middle earners. A further case here involved Irish travellers who held vulnerable hostage and forced them to work and live in appalling conditions.

Getting to know about it is the easy bit. Not playing a part in this evil is truly the difficult bit. Anyone who carries some public weight and speaks out against modern day slavery is to be welcomed, and that must include the Roman Pope, Shirley?
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »

Of course, if a popular democracy were established, the tiny formerly ruling class should be reduced to something akin to slavery.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:48:36 AM »

Of course, if a popular democracy were established, the tiny formerly ruling class should be reduced to something akin to slavery.

I would find that no more acceptable than the existing abuses.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »

Along with everyone else?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »

No . But exceptions will be made for some of those providing ideological support to the old ruling class. Like Friedman etc.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 12:37:44 PM »

I would find that no more acceptable than the existing abuses.

Well that is rather anti-Biblical.

The Magnificat is the sound of the those being thrown down, till people spiritualize or pscyhologize it.

And the rest of nearly other part of the Bible.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »

No . But exceptions will be made for some of those providing ideological support to the old ruling class. Like Friedman etc.

There is nothing wrong with making people do catechetical work and penance.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 03:56:40 PM »

What's a "popular democracy"?
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »

What's a "popular democracy"?

It's a like a regular democracy, but it has many friends on Facebook.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »

Rome has gone full circle

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: