OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 06:46:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NPR - To Stave Off Decline, Churches Attract New Members With Beer  (Read 2602 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »

Third, the 'water into wine' miracle did not happen in a religious setting.  It certainly wasn't in a church setting because churches weren't around then.

It was a wedding where Jesus (and his disciples) and Mary were invited guests, not a gay civil union at the local courthouse.  Why attempt to read it in a purely secular way just because it wasn't within the four walls of a synagogue? 

Because there's no indication that it was within the four walls of a synagogue.  The larger point I was making is that, except for wine, alcohol isn't a part of our religious services, which a wedding most certainly is.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »

Third, the 'water into wine' miracle did not happen in a religious setting.  It certainly wasn't in a church setting because churches weren't around then.

It was a wedding where Jesus (and his disciples) and Mary were invited guests, not a gay civil union at the local courthouse.  Why attempt to read it in a purely secular way just because it wasn't within the four walls of a synagogue?  

Because there's no indication that it was within the four walls of a synagogue.  The larger point I was making is that, except for wine, alcohol isn't a part of our religious services, which a wedding most certainly is.
plum brandy is for sure,  part of many orthodox services.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:23:58 PM by augustin717 » Logged
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »

The IOCC (International Orthodox Christian Charities) regularly hosts wine tastings at parishes.  Not quite the same thing, but seems like some here could be upset by this.  I was upset about this at my parish, but only because it was held on a Friday evening that was not a wine & oil day on the calendar.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:36:00 PM by jah777 » Logged
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »

Third, the 'water into wine' miracle did not happen in a religious setting.  It certainly wasn't in a church setting because churches weren't around then.

It was a wedding where Jesus (and his disciples) and Mary were invited guests, not a gay civil union at the local courthouse.  Why attempt to read it in a purely secular way just because it wasn't within the four walls of a synagogue?  

Because there's no indication that it was within the four walls of a synagogue.  The larger point I was making is that, except for wine, alcohol isn't a part of our religious services, which a wedding most certainly is.
plum brandy is for sure,  part of many orthodox services.

And wheat, wine, bread, and oil are blessed every Litia, which I can only assume occurs after Vespers on major feasts.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: