OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 04:11:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Differences between Russian and Greek Eucharistic disclipline  (Read 384 times) Average Rating: 0
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« on: November 03, 2013, 11:31:53 PM »

Okay, I'm not sure about this, but I've heard that the Slavs and the Greeks have slightly different Eucharistic discipline; that is, preparation for it. The standard, I know, is Confession and the eight or so prayers in the morning, plus the usual right before Communion, but what exactly is the difference, if any? I've heard that while the Greeks use saying or attending Vespers the evening before, then psalms 22, 23, and 115 and the Canon for Holy Communion (my personal one, due to it being useful and easy to memorise for on-the-spot decisions to go to a Roman Mass on a weekday), the Slavs read 3 canons and an Akathist, as well as saying small compline and attending Matins. Any truth in this?

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:33:27 AM »

There is a difference in discipline, and it tends to be a pastoral standard rather then anything as legalistic as you have presented in your post.

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: