Author Topic: NPR - To Stave Off Decline, Churches Attract New Members With Beer  (Read 11081 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Re: NPR - To Stave Off Decline, Churches Attract New Members With Beer
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
Third, the 'water into wine' miracle did not happen in a religious setting.  It certainly wasn't in a church setting because churches weren't around then.

It was a wedding where Jesus (and his disciples) and Mary were invited guests, not a gay civil union at the local courthouse.  Why attempt to read it in a purely secular way just because it wasn't within the four walls of a synagogue? 

Because there's no indication that it was within the four walls of a synagogue.  The larger point I was making is that, except for wine, alcohol isn't a part of our religious services, which a wedding most certainly is.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »
Third, the 'water into wine' miracle did not happen in a religious setting.  It certainly wasn't in a church setting because churches weren't around then.

It was a wedding where Jesus (and his disciples) and Mary were invited guests, not a gay civil union at the local courthouse.  Why attempt to read it in a purely secular way just because it wasn't within the four walls of a synagogue?  

Because there's no indication that it was within the four walls of a synagogue.  The larger point I was making is that, except for wine, alcohol isn't a part of our religious services, which a wedding most certainly is.
plum brandy is for sure,  part of many orthodox services.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:23:58 PM by augustin717 »
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
The IOCC (International Orthodox Christian Charities) regularly hosts wine tastings at parishes.  Not quite the same thing, but seems like some here could be upset by this.  I was upset about this at my parish, but only because it was held on a Friday evening that was not a wine & oil day on the calendar.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:36:00 PM by jah777 »

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
Third, the 'water into wine' miracle did not happen in a religious setting.  It certainly wasn't in a church setting because churches weren't around then.

It was a wedding where Jesus (and his disciples) and Mary were invited guests, not a gay civil union at the local courthouse.  Why attempt to read it in a purely secular way just because it wasn't within the four walls of a synagogue?  

Because there's no indication that it was within the four walls of a synagogue.  The larger point I was making is that, except for wine, alcohol isn't a part of our religious services, which a wedding most certainly is.
plum brandy is for sure,  part of many orthodox services.

And wheat, wine, bread, and oil are blessed every Litia, which I can only assume occurs after Vespers on major feasts.
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.