OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 03:33:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended Netflix Streaming  (Read 671 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« on: November 02, 2013, 03:17:04 AM »

OK, my music thread was a debacle.

So Achronos, don't turn this into a "what are favorite things" thread.

This thread is simple:

What have watched lately and would recommend.

Again Achronos, please don't search the streaming catalog post every title you think is worth watching.

More than a few people here use Netflix streaming and I thought it might be nice to have a place to share what is currently available and recommend.

Again, to keep this from being a "here's what I like thread", let's keep the list to what to you have actually seen lately, or is SO AMAZING and you know it only offered for a LIMITED TIME.

And maybe longer discussions about the content in back and forth format kept to a minimum.

A modest suggestion.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:18:44 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:18:29 AM »

For those who don't know about it, this might help you find stuff you might like:

http://instantwatcher.com/

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:31:59 AM »

Netflix just started streaming Chuck. I'd be going through the whole series right this second, if I hadn't just gotten the entire series on DVD a few weeks ago after not being able to find it on Netflix laugh

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Velsigne
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 01:38:44 PM »

I watched a great documentary:  Happy People: A Year on the Taiga with Werner Herzog co-directing.

It's about a men who run fur trapping lines out in the boonies in Russia.  Incredibly tough, resourceful, skilled people.  Loved the part when one guy teaches his son about making the best skis.

Also gave me insight to the Russian expression of Orthodoxy.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »

I watched a great documentary:  Happy People: A Year on the Taiga with Werner Herzog co-directing.

It's about a men who run fur trapping lines out in the boonies in Russia.  Incredibly tough, resourceful, skilled people.  Loved the part when one guy teaches his son about making the best skis.

DANKE!

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 01:57:02 PM »

The Yellow Sea

Amazing Korean neo-noir.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »

If a Tree Falls- A documentary exploring the activities, arrest, and trial of ELF member Daniel McGowan, who was involved in several environmentally motivated attacks in the 90s. Pretty cool to get a more human angle on a terrorist who never actually killed anyone.

Super- Odd bit of dark comedy featuring Rainn Wilson, Liv Tyler, Kevin Bacon, and Ellen Page. It's violent and strange and surprisingly enjoyable on the whole.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »

The brit detective series Luther.

I second Happy People - I really enjoyed that one.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »

Kumare, but it actually may have been you that mentioned it.  At any rate, I heard about it here.  An American man of Indian descent poses as a guru and gains a following, all the while making a film about it.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 07:11:20 AM »

The Wonder Years.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 04:11:20 AM »

Which is nonexistent?

Did I miss something, other than the Santa Claus pageant?

I liked the rest of it, for what it's worth.  Amazing place and people.  Leaving your family for 6 months annually to go solo trapping in the Siberian wilderness sure beats building a "man cave" in the basement.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Velsigne
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 01:57:13 AM »

Which is nonexistent?

Did I miss something, other than the Santa Claus pageant?

I liked the rest of it, for what it's worth.  Amazing place and people.  Leaving your family for 6 months annually to go solo trapping in the Siberian wilderness sure beats building a "man cave" in the basement.

Santa Claus pageant was great!

Actually, I was thinking more about the beginning when he describes how the government sent him and two other men out to set traplines.  It was brutal.  They had no shelter and had very little with which to survive.  Roughly paraphrased, the man quietly comments "...one guy, he didn't like it so much, so he went back."  So this guy just walked back alone through this brutal freezing environment to go back home.

It was completely astounding to me how they got started trapping.  Doesn't seem like anyone could survive that, but they did.

Reminds me of some Russian saints who also persevered through incredibly difficult circumstances, even our 'modern' world. 

I was wondering if there was any actual practice of Orthodoxy in the area, but it's hard to tell when the directors / filmmakers control content.  Maybe there isn't.

In any case, seems like the ROCOR parishes I've visited seem a little more hardcore than other jurisdictions, and this documentary lent some insight to what forms a people.  That's not meant in a derogatory way at all. 

And making his dog run a hundred miles behind his snowmobile when going home for Christmas seemed brutal to me.  But once they arrive, someone comments that the 'dog must be hungry'.  So they care for them, but are very tough.  And then thinking further, I've run some of my own dogs pretty hard when they had to follow me all day on horseback.  That's one tough dog that can keep up with a snowmobile all day at a dead run.

Another one I really liked was "The Science of Dogs" 

Again touches on Russian dogs, which are amazing creatures in their own right, especially the bomb sniffing dogs bred specifically for that purpose.  They were created by one man, and can't be found anywhere else in the world. 

Wouldn't want to ever be around the Russian prison guard dogs.  Beowulf comes to mind.

And veterinarian / scientists have figured out how to manipulate genes to restore sight to genetically blind dogs. 

Interesting program on the historically recent proliferation of specialized dog breeds throughout the world, especially if one like dogs. 
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 02:32:18 AM »

Thanks for your response, Velsigne.

Those were great parts, particularly when he's describing how the Soviets never dropped the supplies, but he managed to survive.

I can also see how you would draw correlations between the toughness, discipline, and endurance shown by these folk and many of our saints.  At the same time, I was really surprised to see no real mention of Orthodoxy, whether an icon, candle, liturgy, etc.  Just the Santa Claus pageant.  Yet the directors focused on the indigenous people's pagan faith in the brief segment dedicated to them.  I'm not crying "anti-Christian conspiracy!" but I did find that curious.  Maybe there was little if any sign of Orthodoxy in that town.

But yes, a very remarkable set of people and their lives.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: