OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:34:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy of the Hours question(s)  (Read 697 times) Average Rating: 0
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« on: November 01, 2013, 05:37:18 PM »

I know there are some older threads about the (RC version of the) Liturgy of the Hours but I thought I'd start a new fresh one.  Cool

I've been praying it off & on for many years, long before I became EC. And I still enjoy using it (privately, of course) for my morning and evening prayers.

I have tried the Eastern version and sometimes it's nice, but to be honest I really prefer the LOTH because of the multiple psalms at every hour. Unless I'm missing something, the Eastern version will only have one, and they'll pretty much repeat over the course of a couple of weeks.

One thing I recently started doing is incorporating the Troparia & Kontakia of the day into one of the (Western) Hours - usually the Morning. I'll either read them separately beforehand, or put them in after the Responsory and before the Intentions. Also like to read and reflect on the Epistle Reading and Gospel of the day, but may do that separately as well.

What do you think? I primarily want to make this a discussion among Catholics who have used both the Western and Eastern forms of the Hours, but of course welcome Orthodox input - after all, you're the ones I'm getting the Troparia & Kontakia from!  Grin

Also - do you stick to doing the same version of the Hours or do you occasionally switch and just do the Eastern version for a while, to get some variety?

And for those who have the opportunity, do you ever attend the Hours at a Monastery, and if so, which one(s)? My favorite is this one (they make great pumpkin bread too!  angel) : http://monasteryoftheangels.com/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:38:50 PM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »

I know there are some older threads about the (RC version of the) Liturgy of the Hours but I thought I'd start a new fresh one.  Cool

I've been praying it off & on for many years, long before I became EC. And I still enjoy using it (privately, of course) for my morning and evening prayers.

I used it for a few years, without strictly following the calendar, towards the end of high school and the first half of college, and enjoyed it. 

I have tried the Eastern version and sometimes it's nice, but to be honest I really prefer the LOTH because of the multiple psalms at every hour. Unless I'm missing something, the Eastern version will only have one, and they'll pretty much repeat over the course of a couple of weeks.

If you are a geek, read Taft's book The Liturgy of the Hours in East and West.  The Roman Office has a different history and development from most of the Eastern Offices, even predating the various schisms, and this affects how each looks at and "does" liturgy.  The bulk of the former is psalmody; the only Eastern tradition that shares this property is the Coptic, and both were heavily influenced by monasticism.  The other Eastern traditions develop as "parish" or "cathedral" services but also have varying amounts of monastic influence, and one place this is seen is in their differing use of continuous psalmody. 

One thing I recently started doing is incorporating the Troparia & Kontakia of the day into one of the (Western) Hours - usually the Morning. I'll either read them separately beforehand, or put them in after the Responsory and before the Intentions. Also like to read and reflect on the Epistle Reading and Gospel of the day, but may do that separately as well.

What do you think? I primarily want to make this a discussion among Catholics who have used both the Western and Eastern forms of the Hours, but of course welcome Orthodox input - after all, you're the ones I'm getting the Troparia & Kontakia from!  Grin

My personal preference is to avoid this sort of "blending", but, assuming you're doing this on your own and not with some church group, it's your prayer time, so if it works for you, I don't see an issue with it. 

Also - do you stick to doing the same version of the Hours or do you occasionally switch and just do the Eastern version for a while, to get some variety?

When I used the Roman LotH, I stuck with it and didn't use anything else (except when actually at church, obviously).  After some time, I switched to the Syriac Office, and even now I don't use anything else.  If I want variety, I'll visit different churches, but at home I'm a purist.  But I will say I miss the modern Roman offices...I like the variable psalmody and how much more user friendly it is.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »

Hmm, the hours I've seen have three psalms per hour.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »

Hmm, the hours I've seen have three psalms per hour.

Really? Perhaps you could tell me where to find them. I have the Jordanville Prayer Book, as well as receiving the e-version of the propers from Eastern Christian Publications, but only see Psalm 50 in the morning. Where are the other two supposed to be?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 09:05:40 PM »

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I used to pray the Hours when I was in the RCC. I would love to get into the habit of the Psalter.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »

Interesting that this topic came up, because I was seriously considering buying the Byzantine version.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 11:52:51 PM »

Really? Perhaps you could tell me where to find them. I have the Jordanville Prayer Book, as well as receiving the e-version of the propers from Eastern Christian Publications, but only see Psalm 50 in the morning. Where are the other two supposed to be?

The Daily Cycle looks like this:

Vespers: Pslams 103, 140, 129, 116, plus 1 Kathisma
Compline: Psalms 50, 69, 142
Matins: Pslams 3, 37, 62, 87, 102, 142, plus 2 Kathisma, Pslam 50
First Hour: Psalms 5, 89, 100
Third Hour: Psalms 16, 24, 50
Sixth Hour: Psalms 53, 54, 90
Ninth Hour: Psalms 83, 84, 85

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 12:02:29 AM »

The Daily Cycle looks like this:

Vespers: Pslams 103, 140, 129, 116, plus 1 Kathisma
Compline: Psalms 50, 69, 142
Matins: Pslams 3, 37, 62, 87, 102, 142, plus 2 Kathisma, Pslam 50
First Hour: Psalms 5, 89, 100
Third Hour: Psalms 16, 24, 50
Sixth Hour: Psalms 53, 54, 90
Ninth Hour: Psalms 83, 84, 85

Where are you getting these, Deacon Lance? And how come they don't appear in any of my books?

But even with those I still think the RC LOTH goes through more of the Psalms over a year so there's more variation.

FWIW I am talking about use in private prayer. :-)

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 12:17:57 AM »

Where are you getting these, Deacon Lance? And how come they don't appear in any of my books?

They won't appear in the Jordanville Prayer Book since it doesn't contain the daily offices; you'll find those services in the Horologion, and the psalms in their respective places in the services.

But even with those I still think the RC LOTH goes through more of the Psalms over a year so there's more variation.

Not exactly.  If you follow the schedule of kathismata, you'll get through the entire Psalter in one week, and twice a week in Lent.  With the modern LotH, you'll get through most of them in a month, but some are omitted entirely and others are given incomplete, due to some of the harsh language the Holy Spirit inspired in the Psalmist.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 12:36:46 AM »

Ok, but not being a monastic perhaps that schedule is not for me. :-)

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 12:45:39 AM »

Ok, but not being a monastic perhaps that schedule is not for me. :-)

I agree, which is why I like the LotH's four-week cycle, despite the fact that it's rather untraditional.  The question, as a layperson, is which is more important to you: to read the Psalter, or to pray the Hours?  If it's the latter, then I see no problem with the LotH (after a year of daily use, I had its Psalms and canticles memorised, so I recommend it for that if for nothing else).  If it's the former, however, I think reading the entire Psalter every week or two isn't an unreasonable goal. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »

Jordanville prayerbook doesn't have the hours (except the hours of Pascha). One prayerbook that does have them is the one published by New Rome press http://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Prayer-Book-Michael-Monos/dp/1939028051/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382362560&sr=1-9&keywords=orthodox+prayer+book

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »

Jordanville prayerbook doesn't have the hours (except the hours of Pascha). One prayerbook that does have them is the one published by New Rome press http://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Prayer-Book-Michael-Monos/dp/1939028051/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382362560&sr=1-9&keywords=orthodox+prayer+book

I've also found that the Old Orthodox Prayer Book is also wonderful to have if you want to pray the Eastern Hours. On the rare occasions that I pray Vespers or Matins, I just follow that and read the Kathismata for the day at the appointed times in the services which are listed. I just skip saying stichera since I don't have a Menaion. The prayer book also includes the daily Troparia, if you don't have access to the Troparia for the Saints of the day.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 02:05:53 PM »

I'm not Roman Catholic, but I sometimes pray from the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary. I love it and really should pray it more often.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 06:28:57 PM »

Thanks, Andrew. I was really hoping to get more input from others who use and like the RC LOTH rather than suggestions for how I can ditch them and become "more Eastern". Especially since I'm getting hammered on another forum right now for being "too Eastern" - eek!  Grin

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »

Thanks, Andrew. I was really hoping to get more input from others who use and like the RC LOTH rather than suggestions for how I can ditch them and become "more Eastern". Especially since I'm getting hammered on another forum right now for being "too Eastern" - eek!  Grin
Cheesy

I'm still trying to figure out how Eastern to be.  Grin

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »

Cheesy
I'm still trying to figure out how Eastern to be.  Grin

Job 38:11:  "Thus far and no farther; and here shall thy proud waves be stayed." (In other words, stop making waves!  Cool )

phronesis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AWRV

St. Mark, Pillar of Orthodoxy, pray for me.

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »

In the Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate, the normative prayer rule is the Benedictine breviary.

While the breviary/LOTH for monastics stretches into all hours of the nights, most of the faithful pray one or two offices a day. I say Lauds in the morning and Vespers before bed. Some people use Prime and Compline, which are both shorter.

Per the AWRV, I use the Monastic Diurnal (http://www.andrewespress.com/md.html) in consultation with our official Ordo (http://www.antiochian.org/content/ordo-2013-western-rite-liturgical-guide-now-available).
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »

In the Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate, the normative prayer rule is the Benedictine breviary.

While the breviary/LOTH for monastics stretches into all hours of the nights, most of the faithful pray one or two offices a day. I say Lauds in the morning and Vespers before bed. Some people use Prime and Compline, which are both shorter.

Per the AWRV, I use the Monastic Diurnal (http://www.andrewespress.com/md.html) in consultation with our official Ordo (http://www.antiochian.org/content/ordo-2013-western-rite-liturgical-guide-now-available).

That's interesting as I just stayed at a Benedictine monastery - thank you!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: