OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 04:50:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: As the Protestants commemorate today as the start of their Reformation, how do you, as an Orthodox Christian, commemorate this day?
Ask: "What's a reformation?" - 2 (9.5%)
Go to Protestant Churches and yell "Damn Rebels!" - 1 (4.8%)
Demand your bishop or archbishop anathematize them - 0 (0%)
Thank as many of them as possible. After all, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, right? - 1 (4.8%)
Don't do anything. It's Halloween and I'm going trick-or-treating - 13 (61.9%)
Rub it in the Catholics' faces - 1 (4.8%)
Post all Protestant heresies on the internet because that's never been done before - 0 (0%)
Post about how Luther was really intent on being Orthodox but was lead astray - 3 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Christians and the Protestant Reformation  (Read 2529 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: November 01, 2013, 05:12:40 AM »

Oct. 31, 1517, is the date that Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to the cathedral door at Wittenberg.  These 95 propositions, all in Latin, were ostensibly meant to be debated by the theological professors at the university there, which was a medieval practice on the eve before Western All Saints' Day.  So, how do you, as an Orthodox Christian commemorate this day?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 05:24:29 AM »

Simple, I do not.

Error, innovation and straying away simply accelerated whatever the intentions of the original protestors against the yoke of Rome. An example would be their spiritual descendants lack of regard for the Theotokos compared to their 'founding Fathers'. Quite how folks whose focus is on Scripture came to such an unscriptural position, except they were so busy reacting against Rome they simply increasingly lost their way.

So, nought to celebrate and great puzzlement as to why anyone on an Orthodox Christian forum might even raise this as a concept?

As for the poll, none of the above.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »

I don't commemorate it. The Protestants are sectarian groups. I don't know why we'd commemorate sectarianism.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »

The Reformation had a wonderful start, a disastrous end. I do not commemorate or celebrate it either.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »

Why would any Orthodox Christian commemorate or celebrate the day on which (Western) Christendom began the process by which it eventually became so fragmented that it shall never again be reconciled this side of the Parousia?  To me, the beginning of the Reformation is one of the saddest days in history if we consider Our Lord's wish that we might be one in Him.  Before the advent of the multifarious Protestant "denominations" - when only the liturgical and Apostolic churches existed - there was at least the hope (however distant and far-fetched) that Christendom might again be reunited.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »

Why would any Orthodox Christian commemorate or celebrate the day on which (Western) Christendom began the process by which it eventually became so fragmented that it shall never again be reconciled this side of the Parousia?  To me, the beginning of the Reformation is one of the saddest days in history if we consider Our Lord's wish that we might be one in Him.  Before the advent of the multifarious Protestant "denominations" - when only the liturgical and Apostolic churches existed - there was at least the hope (however distant and far-fetched) that Christendom might again be reunited.

Have to agree with you......
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:37:03 AM by Santagranddad » Logged
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »

Reformation Day was and is unknown in my corner of my former Protestant experience. I've heard more about it since becoming Orthodox than in the fifty years that preceded my chrismation. The celebration of Orthodox feast days has been much more helpful to my spiritual life.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »

I celebrate by getting Juice Juice grape and saltine crackers.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:36:55 AM »

Reformation Day was and is unknown in my corner of my former Protestant experience. I've heard more about it since becoming Orthodox than in the fifty years that preceded my chrismation.

Unfortunately, we seem to be very good at this. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 12:19:26 PM »

I celebrate by getting Juice Juice grape and saltine crackers.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 02:38:50 PM »

Reformation Day was and is unknown in my corner of my former Protestant experience. I've heard more about it since becoming Orthodox than in the fifty years that preceded my chrismation. The celebration of Orthodox feast days has been much more helpful to my spiritual life.

I only learned about it because of my Catholic Facebook friends...
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »

LOL!

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 05:22:57 PM »

The Reformation had a wonderful start, a disastrous end. I do not commemorate or celebrate it either.

What wonderful start?
What disastrous end?

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 05:51:09 PM »

What wonderful start?
What disastrous end?

Good point. The Reformation never truly ended.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »

I chose DO NOTHING, except I not doing anything for Halloween.
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »

Why on earth would any Orthodox Christian commemorate (de)reformation day?  Do Native Americans celebrate Thanksgiving?  

What exactly was the benefit of the antics of one soon-to-be excommunicated Catholic priest introducing the notion that if one does not like the rules, one can simply start one's own church, and that causing Christianity to hemorrhage into 32,000 doctrinally distinct sects?  That's damage.  The false church would obviously not be the first church--it would a church yet to come.  Therefore, every church to break off from the first church is not the Church of Christ, and, consequently, a false church.  Why would Orthodox commemorate that?

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 06:05:05 PM »

Why on earth would any Orthodox Christian commemorate (de)reformation day?  Do Native Americans celebrate Thanksgiving?  

What exactly was the benefit of the antics of one soon-to-be excommunicated Catholic priest introducing the notion that if one does not like the rules, one can simply start one's own church,
To be fair to Martin Luther, when he posted his 95 Theses, he sought only to call the Roman Church to reform herself from inside. He did not seek to start his own church. It took Rome excommunicating him to drive him to see that he had no other option.

BTW, the Reformation would not have been necessary if Rome had stayed true to the apostolic faith.
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »

To be fair to Martin Luther, when he posted his 95 Theses, he sought only to call the Roman Church to reform herself from inside. He did not seek to start his own church. It took Rome excommunicating him to drive him to see that he had no other option.

BTW, the Reformation would not have been necessary if Rome had stayed true to the apostolic faith.

+1

And yes, he was trying to reform it.  He didn't want to be excommunicated.  However, I think that's where the root of the problem is--the idea that doctrine can be argued and changed.  Then he broke off and started his own religion.  This is why I find it alarming every time the Catholic Church talks about 'development of doctrine.'  I could be wrong, but if God's unchanging, I think it logically follows that His Church would also be unchanging, re: doctrine.  It's not to be something that changes to keep up with the times (as dumb a reason to change anything as any I've ever heard) or to placate social and political pressure groups.   

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 06:55:10 PM »

What doctrinal canges he had in mind?
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »

What doctrinal canges he had in mind?

I think all the tampering he did with scripture was damage enough, and I think he was also the first to introduce the notion that we do not have to cooperate with grace.  The 'grace without works' that is core protestant doctrine.

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 10:37:41 PM »

I certaintly recognise it as a turning point in western culture which has ultimately lead to the world we have today for good and for ill.

Thank you.
orthodox4life

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »

And yes, he was trying to reform it.  He didn't want to be excommunicated.  However, I think that's where the root of the problem is--the idea that doctrine can be argued and changed.  Then he broke off and started his own religion.  This is why I find it alarming every time the Catholic Church talks about 'development of doctrine.'  I could be wrong, but if God's unchanging, I think it logically follows that His Church would also be unchanging, re: doctrine.  It's not to be something that changes to keep up with the times (as dumb a reason to change anything as any I've ever heard) or to placate social and political pressure groups. 

Very well stated

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 12:14:32 AM »

You need to add an option like "look bemusedly over my spectacles at facebook posts of Protestant friends who know enough history to know there is a Reformation Day and yet still don't know there is an Orthodox Church, and then go back to my tea". (Except in my case it would be soda.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:15:17 AM by Maximum Bob » Logged

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 01:08:32 AM »

Poor Luther.  Maybe if the Orthodox would not have become as worthless in Evangelism and weren't fighting for their lives getting ready to be over-run by Islam, there could have been someone to bring him the truth.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 09:14:53 AM »

Maybe if the Orthodox would not have become as worthless in Evangelism and weren't fighting for their lives getting ready to be over-run by Islam, there could have been someone to bring him the truth.

Other than the "fighting for their lives" bit, this isn't really a fair statement.  Realistically speaking, Western Europe was pretty much the exclusive domain of the Latin Church at this point, and any Orthodox presence in Saxony would have been negligible at best.  The idea that the Orthodox would have been on the spot to pick up on Luther's dissent and take it as an opportunity for evangelism - and that Luther would have been at all receptive - doesn't really wash.  In any event, there was a substantial dialogue between Luther's early disciples and a handful of Orthodox theologians, including Patriarch Jeremias of Constantinople, who offered a point by point reply to the Confession of Augsburg as follows:

The Confession of Augsburg contains twenty-one articles. Jeremias replied to each in turn, stating wherein he agreed or disagreed with the doctrines contained in them. His comments are valuable, as they add up to a compendium of Orthodox theology at this date.

The first article states the Nicene Creed to be the basis of the true faith. The Patriarch naturally concurred, but pointed out that the Creed should be accepted in its correct form, omitting the Dual Procession of the Holy Ghost, an addition which, as he explains at length, was canonically illegal and doctrinally unsound.

Article truncated to comply with forum rules regarding how much of an article can be copied from another web site. The rest of the article can be read by clicking the following link: http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/tca_luther.aspx
-PtA

There was a correspondence back and forth for a time, and basically, the Lutherans remained unconvinced and unwilling to be corrected on their points of divergence with Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:30:05 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 09:32:06 AM »

My gosh, people, you're taking this waaaaayyyyyyyy to seriously. It's a joke. Ha ha. Move on.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »

You need to add an option like "look bemusedly over my spectacles at facebook posts of Protestant friends who know enough history to know there is a Reformation Day and yet still don't know there is an Orthodox Church, and then go back to my tea". (Except in my case it would be soda.)

+1

And another one about how the Reformation started in the latter half of the 11th century with Pope Gregory VII and his cronies.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2013, 02:26:46 PM »

Poor Luther.  Maybe if the Orthodox would not have become as worthless in Evangelism and weren't fighting for their lives getting ready to be over-run by Islam, there could have been someone to bring him the truth.

Patriarch Jeremias II tried it with the Tübingen theologians, but they were too hung up on wanting to deep and defend the filioque.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »

I could be wrong, but if God's unchanging, I think it logically follows that His Church would also be unchanging, re: doctrine.  It's not to be something that changes to keep up with the times (as dumb a reason to change anything as any I've ever heard) or to placate social and political pressure groups.   
Did the Church change its teaching on whether or not women should wear headcovering in Church during liturgy? Or on artificial birth control?
BTW, I am not sure about whether or not God is unchanging. For example, before the Incarnation, in Old Testament times, God did not assume a human body. However, after the Incarnation, God did assume human form.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »

I could be wrong, but if God's unchanging, I think it logically follows that His Church would also be unchanging, re: doctrine.  It's not to be something that changes to keep up with the times (as dumb a reason to change anything as any I've ever heard) or to placate social and political pressure groups.  
Did the Church change its teaching on whether or not women should wear headcovering in Church during liturgy? Or on artificial birth control?
BTW, I am not sure about whether or not God is unchanging. For example, before the Incarnation, in Old Testament times, God did not assume a human body. However, after the Incarnation, God did assume human form.

Of course it didn't. Orthodoxy isn't legalistic like Roman Catholicism is. The letter of the law isn't law in the Orthodox Church. Of course God assumed a human form in Old Testament times. Read Genesis 18. This is starting to sound Marcionite.

Birth control is still forbidden and headscarves are still there. But unlike the rigid ideologies of men, there is leeway through Economia (the law of the household) that gives believers freedom to function where they don't have any other choice.

Quote from: Matthew 23:23
“Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law: judgment, mercy, and faith. These ought ye to have done and not to leave the other undone."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:41:56 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »

I could be wrong, but if God's unchanging, I think it logically follows that His Church would also be unchanging, re: doctrine.  It's not to be something that changes to keep up with the times (as dumb a reason to change anything as any I've ever heard) or to placate social and political pressure groups.   

Of course it didn't.
If it did not change its teaching on whether or not women should wear headcovering at Church, how come I don't see any women wearing such in many Orthodox Churches in the USA?
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »

My gosh, people, you're taking this waaaaayyyyyyyy to seriously. It's a joke. Ha ha. Move on.
You spelled "too" wrong. Wink To tell a joke, you need to not take yourself too seriously, or else you'll have more than two people mad at you. laugh
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2013, 02:43:06 PM »

I could be wrong, but if God's unchanging, I think it logically follows that His Church would also be unchanging, re: doctrine.  It's not to be something that changes to keep up with the times (as dumb a reason to change anything as any I've ever heard) or to placate social and political pressure groups.  

Of course it didn't.
If it did not change its teaching on whether or not women should wear headcovering at Church, how come I don't see any women wearing such in many Orthodox Churches in the USA?

You didn't read the whole post. The Orthodox don't follow the letter of the law like Roman Catholics, Jews and Muslims do... well, officially anyway.

Of course it didn't. Orthodoxy isn't legalistic like Roman Catholicism is. The letter of the law isn't law in the Orthodox Church. Of course God assumed a human form in Old Testament times. Read Genesis 18. This is starting to sound Marcionite.

Birth control is still forbidden and headscarves are still there. But unlike the rigid ideologies of men, there is leeway through Economia (the law of the household) that gives believers freedom to function where they don't have any other choice.

Quote from: Matthew 23:23
“Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law: judgment, mercy, and faith. These ought ye to have done and not to leave the other undone."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:43:28 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »

Stanley, I know how much you like to argue this point almost every time someone speaks of the lack of doctrinal change in the Orthodox Church. I also recognize that it's off topic for this thread. Therefore, I need you to stop this line of argument here, lest you derail this thread, and take it to another thread where it's on topic.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:59:42 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »

I would argue that the incarnation is not a change since Christ did not cease to be God.  Even in the hymn "o monogenes" we confess that Christ without change became man.  He took something to Himself which He was not, an addition not a change.

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2013, 03:20:28 PM »

I would argue that the incarnation is not a change since Christ did not cease to be God.  Even in the hymn "o monogenes" we confess that Christ without change became man.  He took something to Himself which He was not, an addition not a change.
Let's not facilitate Stanley's inadvertent attempt to drive this thread off topic. Thank you.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »

I learned something new from this thread.

I never heard of "Reformation Day" before.

Seriously, back in the old coal patch,  followed by the rust belt urban ethnic ghetto where we lived while I was growing up, there weren't many admitted Protestants. Folks were either RCC, Orthodox or Greek Catholic. Over the years, honestly I never heard of it.

I suppose it makes sense though that Protestants would remember the event.
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2013, 09:29:21 PM »

Seriously, back in the old coal patch,  followed by the rust belt urban ethnic ghetto where we lived while I was growing up, there weren't many admitted Protestants. Folks were either RCC, Orthodox or Greek Catholic. Over the years, honestly I never heard of it.

I've been around Protestants all my life (admittedly, mostly Charismatics and Evangelicals) and most of them have never mentioned it.  I just asked a couple of my buddies who are still in that faith and they've never heard of it.  Is it like a mainline thing or something?

Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2013, 11:16:19 PM »

I've been around Protestants all my life (admittedly, mostly Charismatics and Evangelicals) and most of them have never mentioned it.  I just asked a couple of my buddies who are still in that faith and they've never heard of it.  Is it like a mainline thing or something?
Yeah I've actually never heard of Reformation Day either

"Do not deceive yourself with idle hopes that in the world to come you will find life if you have not tried to find it in this present world." - Theophanis the Monk

*Taking a break from this forum to sort out my spiritual life and to start taking school and other stuff seriously
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 01:59:01 AM »

I was a former Protestant and have heard of Reformation day. I heard it at a few different churches including calvinist reformed types to even a mainstream charismatic church. Probably depends if the preacher cares to remind people about it during his sermon.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »

I'm a former Lutheran.  We used to release ballons on Reformation day (the reason was never explained that I can remember) with cards that were postage paid, to see how far they went.  That seems to have died out before the big ELCA merger.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »

Usually chill and eat left over Halloween candy.  This year I encouraged Catholics online to post parts of the Council of Trent on Lutheran church doors.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »

This year I encouraged Catholics online to post parts of the Council of Trent on Lutheran church doors.

Smiley

Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2013, 03:48:38 PM »

The really sad thing is that it eliminated the celebration of All Souls Day on Oct. 31, a day set apart in the RCC to pray for the departed, like our Soul Saturdays. 
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2013, 04:13:42 PM »

All Souls' is on 2 Nov, it has never (AFAIK) been on 31 Oct. 

Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2013, 04:25:25 PM »

Thank you!   Not sure how I made it the day before All Saints rather than after. 
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2013, 04:26:31 PM »

Right. 31 Oct is Hallowe'en (All Hallows Even = the eve of All Saints/Nov 1). Although many local traditions don't mark much difference between All Saints and All Souls, so it's easy to confuse. Smiley

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2013, 04:27:30 PM »

Thank you!   Not sure how I made it the day before All Saints rather than after. 

A lot of people are doing that lately.  I blame it on the Mexicans.  Wink

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: