OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 06:07:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pedophilia- Sexual Orientation?!?  (Read 2453 times) Average Rating: 0
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »

I wish they had monasteries for women. 

There are.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »

I wish they had monasteries for women. 

There are.

It's a bit of a linguistic twist here. RC women's monasteries are called 'convents' or 'nunneries' (old-fashioned). Not knowing that we Orthodox call them all 'monasteries' (from the Greek μονή, literally 'dwelling') is excusable for a newcomer. Smiley

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2013, 05:58:17 PM »

I agree with IoannC...

because the victim is always a child,

RC bishops here do not agree.
dude, what is it with you? You know that married men sexually abuse at a higher rate than priests, right?

Chairman of RC Polish Episcopate Conference said in an interview children drag priests into pedophilia.

Regardless of what some idiotic thing this person may have said, you seem to make comments like this a lot.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

The power relationships between adult and child are never, ever equal. Sex between an adult and a child is ALWAYS wrong. The term Inter-generational sex is, as has already been pointed out, NewSpeak at it's very worst and most dangerous.

And where were these gems found? In the Guardian.

Underage in my understanding either refers to a legal definition, of being under the age of consent (to sex) or a clumsy way of saying 'child'.

The power relationships between any two people are never, ever equal.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2013, 09:12:51 AM »

Read the original post and thought someone had, clinically speaking, flipped their lid.

A more concerning implication in the thread further on is the notion of this perversion becoming viewed as a 'sexual orientation', indeed as another contributor has noted this might carry some difficult legal implications.

Yes, any temptation is not a sin in itself but entertaining it, to phantasise on it or act upon such an impulse would. As to the last Our Saviour's own word's could not be clearer, "Better a millstone be tied round their neck....."

Oh man, don't say this or a few posters on here will accuse youof wanting to drown homosexuals.

Although, I get what you are saying. Wink

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »

Whatever you call it, giving a grown man a blessing to legally bed a 12-year-old is wrong.

+1,000

And if the 12-year-old can't refuse to marry, then there's no 'equal' or consent going on at all.  It's rape.

As the father and grandfather of girls, and having been involved in teams addressing child protection issues I know it is both morally wrong and a great evil with dreadful consequences. In societies were this disparity in age is not uncommon the death of pregnant girls whose bodies are not ready is too frequent and their suffering appalling. It is plainly wrong, as is the bedding of any child, boy or girl, by any adult, male or female. Nor is the emotional and psychological trauma to be underestimated.

Children's childhood is short enough, and they need to be allowed to mature physically and emotionally, as well as intellectually.

What a great post! You are a real credit to your church.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2013, 09:29:58 AM »

I agree with IoannC...

Are you making this as a blanket statement that all RC in Poland agree with that?

Or just one idiot that should be punished for making such a ludicrous statement.

You should qualify your statements first before calumnizing people.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2013, 09:33:48 AM »

I agree with IoannC...

Are you making this as a blanket statement that all RC in Poland agree with that?

Or just one idiot that should be punished for making such a ludicrous statement.

One idiot means top Polish RC bishop. He was not suspended, he did not resign. And there were several fellow idiots who defended him. Including another one bishop and a handful of priests. RCC in Poland is committing massive seppuku at the moment. I can't say I feel sorry.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:37:30 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2013, 09:42:35 AM »

I agree with IoannC...

One idiot means top Polish RC bishop. He was not suspended, he did not resign. And there were several fellow idiots who defended him. Including another one bishop and a handful of priests. RCC in Poland is committing massive seppuku at the moment. I can't say I feel sorry.
Well it's no suprise really, it's indictive of the post-VII concilar Church these days.

Meanwhile the pope chides us about not being "judgmental" towards homosexuals. Roll Eyes

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2013, 09:47:01 AM »

Meanwhile the pope chides us about not being "judgmental" towards homosexuals. Roll Eyes

I am talking about pedophilia, not homosexualism.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2013, 09:55:51 AM »

The abusing priests in all the pedo scandals were overwhelmingly homosexual.

This is not a coincidence, espcially since the Church became "light" on the sodomy issue years ago.

That's when these wolves began enetering the seminaries.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2013, 10:01:12 AM »

This is not a coincidence, espcially since the Church became "light" on the sodomy issue years ago.

Pedophile priests were probably as much of a problem in the RCC 100/200/300 years ago. The difference is that nowadays many victims aren't afraid to talk about it.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »

Pedophile priests were probably as much of a problem in the RCC 100/200/300 years ago. The difference is that nowadays many victims aren't afraid to talk about it.
Probably some truth to that, although I wouldn't use the phrase "as much" but I believe there was much more accountability back then and no bishop would ever dare make the statements like that idiot in Poland did.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »

Yes, any temptation is not a sin in itself but entertaining it, to phantasise on it or act upon such an impulse would. As to the last Our Saviour's own word's could not be clearer, "Better a millstone be tied round their neck....."

Oh man, don't say this or a few posters on here will accuse youof wanting to drown homosexuals.

Although, I get what you are saying. Wink

What's important is not to get what Santagranddad is saying, but what Jesus is saying.  I have no reason to believe Santagranddad is confused about the latter.  On the other hand...  Wink

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Math lover

Faith: Shia Muslim
Jurisdiction: Twelver

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »

I am waiting to see when the atheist West will classify incest as a sexual orientation and call all those classifying it as "bigots" like they do for sodomites and the likes...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:42:29 PM by Math lover » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2013, 05:44:33 PM »

I am waiting to see when the atheist West will classify incest as a sexual orientation and call all those classifying it as "bigots" like they do for sodomites and the likes...

I thought incest was Arabic tradition.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Math lover

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »

WTH? Who said Arabs practice incest? Marrying your cousin is not considered incest (AFAIK, even the OT doesn't ban it).
I wouldn't be surprised if I see some folks here claiming that Muslims eat babies at breakfast, given the number of ignorant stuff said about us...
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »

Not incest, but pedophilia is rather widespread.  In Iraq and Afghanistan anyway.

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »

WTH? Who said Arabs practice incest? Marrying your cousin is not considered incest (AFAIK, even the OT doesn't ban it).
I wouldn't be surprised if I see some folks here claiming that Muslims eat babies at breakfast, given the number of ignorant stuff said about us...

In the west, 1st cousin marriage is considered incest and is illegal in some places.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:25:41 PM by sheenj » Logged
Math lover

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2013, 10:33:39 PM »

In the west, 1st cousin marriage is considered incest and is illegal in some places.

Doesn't the OT allow 1st cousin marriage?
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »

Explicitly allow it?  No.

Did it happen?  Yes.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2013, 11:01:52 PM »

Chairman of RC Polish Episcopate Conference said in an interview children drag priests into pedophilia.

[/quote]

Yes, because the child is asking, even forcing them to molest them.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:03:07 PM by brastaseptim » Logged

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2013, 07:59:36 AM »

Marrying your cousin is not considered incest

Keep deluding yourself.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Math lover

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2013, 09:21:33 AM »

Did it happen?  Yes.

But the OT doesn't forbid it.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2013, 09:56:41 AM »

Math lover: Go down to Current status in this article and you will see that first cousin marriage is legal more places than it is not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage -

In the OT Jacob married his cousins Leah and Rachel, daughters of his mother's brother Laban. The bible doesn't forbid sexual relations between cousins, but it does prohibit such with several other close relatives.

Added with edit:
For your information Math lover: Prohibited marriages in the Orthodox Church: http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2013/03/prohibited-marriages-in-orthodox-church.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:30:06 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »

IMHO its not specifically wrong, but more of a cultural taboo here in the US...I dont think its inherently wrong, but umm....heck no...no thanks...blech!

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »

Did it happen?  Yes.

That wasn't your question.  OTOH, Islam does allow first cousin marriages.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2013, 12:44:35 PM »

Did it happen?  Yes.

That wasn't your question.  OTOH, Islam does allow first cousin marriages.

You will find Christianity does, too.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »

You will find Christianity does, too.
If you are considering every denomination, then yes, I'd agree with you.

Math lover

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »

Middle-Eastern Christians do marry first cousins, including in Lebanon when there is no civil marriage.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »

So let's say it is a sexual orientation, would that make any difference to Orthodoxy? Frankly, not at all.

We are not supposed to act upon every urge of our nature. After all, it is a fallen nature. Some people feel attracted to the same sex, or feel an urge to commit adultery. The urge is there, but with Christ's help, we can refuse to act upon such an urge.

Let's not forget that whether something is a "disorder" or a "sexual orientation" in psychology pretty much depends on the way society views it. That is how homosexuality stopped being a "disorder". And if pedophilia gets declassified (and honestly, it probably will sooner or later... after all, Islam keeps getting more influential, and Muhammad and Aisha...), it will be just the same. So all I can say is that we should hold fast to Patristic view.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2013, 03:14:16 PM »

According to the American Psychiatric Association, - "Pedophilic disorder criteria remain unchanged from DSM-IV, but the disorder name is revised from pedophilia to pedophilic disorder." http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2012/12/02/final-dsm-5-approved-by-american-psychiatric-association/

Further: DSM-5 states: "Characteristics of Paraphilic Disorders"

Most people with atypical sexual interests do not have a mental disorder. To be diagnosed with a paraphilic disorder, DSM-5 requires that people with these interests:

• feel personal distress about their interest, not merely distress resulting from society’s disapproval;

or

• have a sexual desire or behavior that involves another person’s psychological distress, injury, or death, or a desire for sexual behaviors involving unwilling persons or persons unable to give legal consent. "

http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Paraphilic%20Disorders%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf - The rest of the DSM-5 article is worth a read.

Therefore, it doesn't appear that pedophilia has changed from being classified as a paraphilic disorder to a sexual orientation, but has received a new title.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:15:02 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

shreek

Jurisdiction: Maronite

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »

Keep deluding yourself.

in the church there is no law per se banning marriage between cousins.
even the Orthodox which bans it, it's mostly canonical tradition rather than Doctrine.
Most Orthodox in the Middle East marry cousins, many (Greek) Orthodox do as well.

shreek

Jurisdiction: Maronite

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »

The church position on Homosexuality is clear.

pedophilia is sexual attraction to pre-pubescant boys (or girls) not to consenting adult males (homosexuality).

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »

Keep deluding yourself.

It is.  In my yearbook at least.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2013, 10:05:05 PM »

Keep deluding yourself.
Well I think its not in West Virgina, Kentucky, states in the south, etc.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2013, 02:42:01 AM »

Keep deluding yourself.

even the Orthodox which bans it, it's mostly canonical tradition rather than Doctrine.
Most Orthodox in the Middle East marry cousins, many (Greek) Orthodox do as well.

Sergei Rachmaninoff married his own cousin, though I have to say that the Russian Orthodox Church didn't permit this marriage, which was one of the problems that caused him to fall into a deep depression (in addition to the failure of his first symphony).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:44:20 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »

Keep deluding yourself.
Well I think its not in West Virgina, Kentucky, states in the south, etc.
West Virginia only. Everywhere else it is not only looked down upon, but illegal.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »

This should clear things up as far as the US anyway:
State Laws Regarding Marriages Between First Cousins

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-services/state-laws-regarding-marriages-between-first-cousi.aspx

First cousin marriage is illegal in West Virginia.

brightmorningstar

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christian

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »

In fact, despite there having been a great deal of research looking to discover the cause of same sex attraction, there is still no consensus of scientific agreement as to its cause (APA) genetics or otherwise.
That there doesnt seem to have been proportionately much research looking for the cause of any sexual desire, and pretty obvious from the research there is it has been specifically looking to prove same-sex attraction is innate and immutable, one wonders why societies have swallowed the deception so wholeheartedly. Perhaps it has much also to do with name calling, accusation and ridiculing anyone who voices criticism.

However thats the case. If a cause does exist for same sex attraction it seems certian it would exist for other sexual desires.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »

In fact, despite there having been a great deal of research looking to discover the cause of same sex attraction, there is still no consensus of scientific agreement as to its cause (APA) genetics or otherwise.
That there doesnt seem to have been proportionately much research looking for the cause of any sexual desire, and pretty obvious from the research there is it has been specifically looking to prove same-sex attraction is innate and immutable, one wonders why societies have swallowed the deception so wholeheartedly. Perhaps it has much also to do with name calling, accusation and ridiculing anyone who voices criticism.

However thats the case. If a cause does exist for same sex attraction it seems certian it would exist for other sexual desires.

The obsession with the cause of homosexuality says more about the debate than whatever anyone says about the cause of homosexuality.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »

The obsession with the cause of homosexuality says more about the debate than whatever anyone says about the cause of homosexuality.
Isn't that the standard practice of Etiology and Epidemiology?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: