OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:44:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EO position on mixed marriages  (Read 1424 times) Average Rating: 0
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« on: February 19, 2005, 05:20:54 PM »

Peace,

what is the position of the Eastern orthodox church regarding mixed marriages between Orthodox /non-Orthodox and orthodox/non-christian marriages ? Does the EO church allow these marriages and recognize them as part of the sacrament of matrimony ?

Thanks in advance.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 06:17:49 PM »

Orthodox Christians must be married to Christians who have been baptised with water in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  In order to be married in the Church, both persons of a couple must be Orthodox. If they are not, the service may not be the Orthodox marriage sacrament. If an Orthodox Christian marries someone who is not baptised, it doesnt matter what religion/lack of religion they are, that Christian is now not allowed to partake in the sacramental life of the Church.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 07:00:11 PM »

Thanks choirfiend for the reply. Appreciated.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 12:15:07 AM »

In order to be married in the Church, both persons of a couple must be Orthodox.

Choirfiend,

In theory, this is true, but in practice, I think quite a few exceptions are made. As far as I know, the rule that an Orthodox Christian must marry someone who is at least marginally trinitarian in their faith is fairly strictly followed, as you rightly point out.

Bob
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 03:23:05 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 03:43:54 AM »

I haven't seen any exceptions in practice, but I dont doubt they are possible. I do wonder if the exact same service is used...

Qui cantat, bis orat
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 07:31:27 AM »

The rules on this issue are jurisdiction dependent apparently. In fact, OCA, GO, and ACROD (those I'm sure of, perhaps others) do bless marriages between an Orthodox and a baptised non-Orthodox Christian provided the marriage takes place in an Orthodox Church, by an Orthodox priest (with an Orthodox "bestman"), and both parties agree to raise their children as baptised Orthodox.
This was not always the case and is an example of some local churches changing or easing the rules, in the GO case since the late 1800s.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 03:26:34 PM »

I haven't seen any exceptions in practice, but I dont doubt they are possible. I do wonder if the exact same service is used...

The weddings of this nature that I have seen, as far as I could tell, were exactly  the same as those celebrated for two Orthodox believers.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 04:37:00 PM »

The Russian Church has allowed mixed marriages for some time; I am not sure about when the Greeks started allowing them--very recently I am told by some, but cannot confirm this.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags: marriage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: