Author Topic: Happy Reformation Day!  (Read 11344 times)

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
Re: Happy Reformation Day!
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2013, 07:02:11 PM »
I like Halloween better. Although I truly admire Martin Luther particularly as a person.

The Reformation itself... not so much. One of the biggest disasters in human history.
You are right.  It proved who followed the scriptures, and who did not, and the disaster was the Catholic church.

God told us to "Love our enemies".   The RC church showed their love in strange ways.

Also to the Anabaptists
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN6nJV_mxU4

No. It showed how making up your religion from your mind and not from what God inspires can cause war, violence, iconoclasm, poverty, totalitarianism, and sectarianism.

Interesting.  Because Icons didn't exist with the earliest Christians....   They made them up.

The inquisition was butchering and murder and filled with violence....   

Iconoclasm was met with iconodules, who killed iconoclasts because they wanted their idols...

Poverty was encouraged by the earliest Christians, including Polycarp (or St. Polycarp)...

Totalitarianism would exist from emporers and kings, such as Constantine who butchered hundreds of thousands, (including his own wife and son) and yet remains a saint, or Popes who commanded butchery.

Sectarianism was part of Christianity since the beginning unfortunately.

Aren't you supposed to be Orthodox? You know, the Church that has an entire Sunday of Great Lent called the Triumph of Orthodoxy devoted to the Council which restored the use of icons?

No. You've missed a big story arch around here...

I must have missed something. I check jurisdiction, I see Orthodox, I generally assume Orthodox.
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »
Aren't you supposed to be Orthodox? You know, the Church that has an entire Sunday of Great Lent called the Triumph of Orthodoxy devoted to the Council which restored the use of icons?

Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2013, 07:06:17 PM »
Some of you people don't get it.

There is no such thing as going back to an "earlier Christianity." When people try to do it, they just mess everything up.

This is exactly why tradition is important. Tradition always lives in the present. Trying to reverse the flow of tradition can be just as disastrous and possibly more stupid than reckless innovation.

Nafpliotis understood this.

Exactly what my point was.

But what happens when the tradition that people thinks existed in earlier Christianity didn't really exist.... And that their traditional church, was nothing like that of the earliest Christians?  What if they import their traditions based on innovations that came up in later years, but since they did them for so many years, they hold them as tradition?
Doesn't this assume that later "innovations" were wrong?

I don't know about you, but I don't want to join a church that is a museum. Which church represents the Gospel best?

For me it would be the church that actually follows the gospel literally, and does not let traditions circumvent the commands of Christ.  

The closest I can find that literally follows the scriptures and commands of Christ directly are traditional Anabaptists who keep the Sabbath.   Not perfect, but very close...   From the writings of the earliest Christians, I also have heavy respect for the Waldenses and how they knew of God.   I also have respect for the EO monastic lifestyle, while disagreeing with aspects of some of the religious practice, they seem to grip on to the fundamentals of the prayer without ceasing, no concern of wordly possessions, and communal living (as the Hutterites).

Traditions circumventing the commands of Christ? The Scriptures even say there's a lot that Christ did and said that isn't in the Scriptures, so how are you to know those traditions weren't mandated by Christ, at least in a reduced form? Plus, without tradition, how the blue blazes are you supposed to know what the early Christians actually taught without merely interpreting the Scriptures in a thousand different ways yourself- you know what, I'm not even going to get into that rant.

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2013, 07:06:48 PM »

I don't get it...

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2013, 11:14:41 PM »
I like Halloween better. Although I truly admire Martin Luther particularly as a person.

The Reformation itself... not so much. One of the biggest disasters in human history.
You are right.  It proved who followed the scriptures, and who did not, and the disaster was the Catholic church.

God told us to "Love our enemies".   The RC church showed their love in strange ways.

Also to the Anabaptists

No. It showed how making up your religion from your mind and not from what God inspires can cause war, violence, iconoclasm, poverty, totalitarianism, and sectarianism.

Interesting.  Because Icons didn't exist with the earliest Christians....   They made them up.

Iconoclasm was met with iconodules, who killed iconoclasts because they wanted their idols...

Poverty was encouraged by the earliest Christians, including Polycarp (or St. Polycarp)...

Totalitarianism would exist from emporers and kings, such as Constantine who butchered hundreds of thousands, (including his own wife and son) and yet remains a saint, or Popes who commanded butchery.

You keep posting this idiotic nonsense about how iconodules killed iconoclasts. Well, show me the sources.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2013, 11:16:40 PM »

Also to the Anabaptists

I must have missed something. I check jurisdiction, I see Orthodox, I generally assume Orthodox.

How many Orthodox Anabaptists do you know?
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2013, 11:18:05 PM »

Also to the Anabaptists

How many Orthodox Anabaptists do you know?

One; he thought it was a good idea to rebaptise Catholics. In cold water. In December.