OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:11:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon  (Read 332 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: October 30, 2013, 07:55:16 PM »

Hey y'all,

I have a friend (female) who loves this series and she's trying hard to get me to read them.  They're historical fiction (which I love) mixed with some romance (which I find silly).  Any y'all reading them?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »

I reckon that's a "no".

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »

I've flipped through a few, though I haven't had time to really sit down with them. From what I hear, the first 2-3 are good, then the time-skipping starts getting a bit too much.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 01:36:11 PM »

It is in my case.  I agree with your opinion of romance, though books marketed as romance rarely have romance--just sex.  I checked out the author's site for this book, and in the description, it does only say 'sex' rather than 'romance,' and no, they're not the same thing.  Her description on the site is:

"history, warfare, medicine, sex, violence, spirituality, honor, betrayal, vengeance, hope and despair, relationships, the building and destruction of families and societies, time travel, moral ambiguity, swords, herbs, horses, gambling (with cards, dice, and lives), voyages of daring, journeys of both body and soul…"

There's just nothing in there that would compel me to read this series.  Others may feel differently.  What is the sales pitch being presented to you by your friend?

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »

It is in my case.  I agree with your opinion of romance, though books marketed as romance rarely have romance--just sex.  I checked out the author's site for this book, and in the description, it does only say 'sex' rather than 'romance,' and no, they're not the same thing.  Her description on the site is:

"history, warfare, medicine, sex, violence, spirituality, honor, betrayal, vengeance, hope and despair, relationships, the building and destruction of families and societies, time travel, moral ambiguity, swords, herbs, horses, gambling (with cards, dice, and lives), voyages of daring, journeys of both body and soul…"

There's just nothing in there that would compel me to read this series.  Others may feel differently.  What is the sales pitch being presented to you by your friend?

Good points.

I would rather re-read the Chronicles of Narnia or the Space Trilogy. C.S. Lewis is good reading especially during these cold autumn and winter months.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:40:12 PM »

What is the sales pitch being presented to you by your friend?

The 'historical fiction' aspect.  I've read and enjoyed some James Michener novels, but he obviously doesn't write a lot of sex scenes (at least not in any of his books I've read.)  She says it takes place in the Scottish highlands and America.  I'm pretty much set on skipping it altogether.

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:35:20 PM »

What is the sales pitch being presented to you by your friend?

The 'historical fiction' aspect.  I've read and enjoyed some James Michener novels, but he obviously doesn't write a lot of sex scenes (at least not in any of his books I've read.)  She says it takes place in the Scottish highlands and America.  I'm pretty much set on skipping it altogether.

Sounds highly skip-able to me.  lol.  Sounds like it's somewhere in the historical romance category, but that's one genre that nobody reads unless they're looking for it.  I used to do call center Customer Service for a publisher who had several lines of romance fiction, and with historical romance, either you already like it or you hate it.  It was a tough sell.  Guess there's not that many people out there that's into corsets.  rofl.   

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: