OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:59:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone ever been like "hmm har" about Islam?  (Read 15853 times) Average Rating: 5
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2013, 04:20:53 PM »

My fatalist ways, I think your perception is your reality there. And I used the quote from the ideology YOU follow now, thought it may make a point somehow but it may have been lost.

1) You didn't use a quote at all
2) What you did use from Islam, was used by you, to validate your own lifestyle choices
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2013, 04:25:25 PM »

Sorry and sure, I should have done that but I wanted replies only from ppl who has studied it rli and who struggled with it. So they would have understood.
But I will put like you did by the side.

Did you see my q to you eons ago? If not,no worries. I am about done with this thread anyway.

Poppy, I already answered the question.  Christians don't believe God has a co-equal or co-partner.

Oh crikey, sorry, I missed it.

I know rli well the bible chapters that come close to implying that Jesus was more than a Prophet but none of them make the issue total closure. What makes it total closure for you?
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »

My fatalist ways, I think your perception is your reality there. And I used the quote from the ideology YOU follow now, thought it may make a point somehow but it may have been lost.

2) What you did use from Islam, was used by you, to validate your own lifestyle choices

I didn't think I had to quote since you're Muslim, and I was you would know on the day of judgement man will run from his wife, friends from friends, no one may save another from the hellfire. That is paraphrased but I am too lazy to care enough to look it up at present. I don't need diddly from Islam to validate my lifestyle because I'm not Muslim. I'm not the best at making points but I was trying to make on for you that was apparently lost due to my poor planning/word usage/being up for almost 3 days straight.

However if you must have the quote I will get it.

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »

Hmm, and yet the Qur'an is a perfect book, and it says: "This day I have perfected for you your religion... and I choose Islam as your religion" (5:3)

Islam was 'perfect' when Allah revealed the Qur'an, at the time of Muhammad. Why do you need imperfect isnad chains, and all sorts of Hadith and traditions that come 300 years later for a religion that was already perfect? Since Islam was already perfect, it doesn't make sense why you'd have to add more prayers and add more akhams apart from what the Qur'an says.

"Hmmm, and yet the Qu'ran Bible is a perfect book, and it says: "This day I have perfected for you your religion... and I choose Islam as your religion" "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"

Islam Christianity was perfect when the Qu'ran New Testament was written, at the time of Muhammed Christ and the apostles. Why do you need imperfect isnad Tradition chains and all sorts of Hadiths patristic texts and traditions that come 300 later for a religion that was already perfect? Since Islam Christianity was already perfect, it doesn't make sense why you have to add more prayers and add more akshams canons apart from what the Qu'ran Bible says"

See how your arguments don't work?

No, the problem is you are equating the Bible and Qur'an like they are the same thing. They are not. The Bible is a compilation that went through historical development, and was written by humans. The Qur'an is not. The Qur'an is a literal 'Word of God' that existed forever with God, and God revealed it directly to Muhammad through the Angel Gabriel and was written down. The Bible wasn't literally dictated word for word from God. It was human breathed as well as God-breathed.

You are also assuming that Islamic tradition is in accord with the Qur'an. It is not. The Hadith are completely at variance with each other and with the Qur'an. The Hadith say that the Qur'an isn't perfect, the Qur'an itself says it 'is' perfect. The Qur'an says that you only pray 3 times a day. Hadith say 50 times, some say that it was changed to 5 times and now that's the official stance. The Hadith developed after the Qur'an. Christian tradition developed alongside the Bible. St. Ignatius of Antioch is an indicator of this. There is no authority apart from maybe Sufyan al-Thawri or Abu Hanifah who has such a role that connects the tradition with the Prophet. And Abu Hanifah and Sufyan al-Thawri's works are usually considered as 'attributed' or 'inauthentic'.

The Qur'an in Islam by Allamah al-Tabatabai

There are many Hadith, some are weak and others are strong with a good chain.

Also, you can't comment on "most Muslims" as you can't possibly know that information unless you have stats. If you do then reference them! If not then don't be lazy and make useless generalisations. All the Muslims I know at various masjids (and it's quite a few now), know Arabic rli well.

The majority of Muslims live in Southeast Asia. Do they speak Arabic there? I live in Minnesota, and I only knew of one Arabic speaker in the Mosque in my area... the Imam.

Sorry and sure, I should have done that but I wanted replies only from ppl who has studied it rli and who struggled with it. So they would have understood.

Did you see my q to you eons ago? If not,no worries. I am about done with this thread anyway.

Poppy, I already answered the question.  Christians don't believe God has a co-equal or co-partner.

I know rli well the bible chapters that come close to implying that Jesus was more than a Prophet but none of them make the issue total closure. What makes it total closure for you?

Because the people who wrote the Bible (Jews and Christians) know what it means. Just like the people who wrote the Qur'an (Muslims) know what it means.

You don't just separate the Book from it's author. Shakespeare needs to be read in the context of Shakespeare. Not in the context of Barack Obama.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:32:04 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2013, 04:30:33 PM »

And with that, I am stepping away. Anyone who knows me somewhat on here knows I have issues that eventually make me biased against Islam just due to past experiences. No need in my getting rude on here because momma raised me to be a lady not a savage. Wink

Have fun, guys!

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2013, 04:33:36 PM »

They allow women to sing, it is less overlong. Not bad.

So do Greeks: Mariam Skorda - Cherubic Hymn

Hiera Mone Sipsa Drama - Matins
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:35:50 PM by Romaios » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2013, 04:34:18 PM »

Poppy, I already answered the question.  Christians don't believe God has a co-equal or co-partner.

Jesus was forgiving sins, promised to give his followers eternal life and the whole "me and father are one" thing. How's that not total closure?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2013, 04:35:49 PM »

The latter is OK. The former - IDK are they singing or yawning.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »

Jesus was forgiving sins, promised to give his followers eternal life and the whole "me and father are one" thing. How's that not total closure?

Then explain the Councils and infighting since.

You have to give Poppy her do.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2013, 04:39:23 PM »

Again, no Christian, Jew or Muslim ever called themselves what you call yourself, historically.

Today is not a part of history?

Hahaha. This reminds me of when the History Channel stopped being about Nazis and war and converted into a channel where we watch fat bald people barter for other people's junk. Their new slogan is now "History is everyday" or some such silliness.

Nope. Today is not a part of history until it's tomorrow. Wink

or at least until sundown...
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »

She is singing, they are just there for decorum - if you don't like her voice, you must be a heretic!  Tongue
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #191 on: October 31, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »

I didn't think I had to quote since you're Muslim, and I was you would know on the day of judgement man will run from his wife, friends from friends, no one may save another from the hellfire. That is paraphrased but I am too lazy to care enough to look it up at present. I don't need diddly from Islam to validate my lifestyle because I'm not Muslim. I'm not the best at making points but I was trying to make on for you that was apparently lost due to my poor planning/word usage/being up for almost 3 days straight.

However if you must have the quote I will get it.

I have it. I don't need it. Just pointing out that you had said you quoted, when in fact, you didn't.

Seriously, this stuff is important because it's life or death for people. You have to be accurate and consistent and not to mind when someone calls you on stuff when it's contradictory, without immediately switching to victim mode.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #192 on: October 31, 2013, 04:42:46 PM »

AFAIK Arianism fits rather nicely together with neo-platonism which was fashionable anyway. Hence the popularity.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2013, 04:43:52 PM »

She is singing, they are just there for decorum - if you don't like her voice, you must be a heretic!  Tongue

Not my piece of cake.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2013, 04:45:18 PM »

This one is about unity isn't it?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #195 on: October 31, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »

Poppy,

I hope you can tell that most of the acrimony in this thread hasn't been directed toward you but rather the so-called "Y'allwayist".

Poppy I know you have in the past thought I was out to get you or something, but really I agree with nearly everything you've posted in this about the nature of conviction or belief.

I still think it would interesting everyone spoke more directly to your OP. People don't think or argue their way to belief.

Likewise, I think you might find some more of the answers you were looking for in your OP, if you did likewise.

Btw, it is quite remarkable how much you've learned since being here last. Wish I had learned Arabic in that time, I doubt if it would even be possible.

Oh and another question (feel free to ignore me if you want) but do you find that the arabic fonts are easier on your dyslexia? I was listening to a radio program the other day about a young who has developed a font which is much less likely to cause dyslexics problems.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #196 on: October 31, 2013, 04:50:23 PM »

I am primarily Christian. In order to separate myself from some other "Christians" who insist on worshipping foreign gods (allah worshippers, for instance), I designate myself as a Yahwist.

If you separate yourself from the Arab-speaking Orthodox, you separate yourself from all the Orthodox who are in communion with them. Not pretty, I tell you!  Roll Eyes

Then I would still find myself a place among the Messianic Jews or Evangelicals.  Wink

Huh

And what if Arabic-speaking Messianic Jews or Evangelicals use the word Allah? Where will you go?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:51:21 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2013, 04:50:34 PM »

1 Corinthians 11:19

Or, as St. Augustine put it, the Church must have a good digestion.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »

This thread needs more Sami Yusuf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE84QwZpho4

Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #199 on: October 31, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »

She is singing, they are just there for decorum - if you don't like her voice, you must be a heretic!  Tongue

Not my piece of cake.

cup of tea
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #200 on: October 31, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »

Not my piece of cake.

cup of tea

Whatever. I prefer tea to cakes anyway.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #201 on: October 31, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »

hi, poppy,
i would like to celebrate your return and congratulate you on this thread which already is 5 pages long!
 Smiley

i am glad you have concluded that God exists.
i hope you will find the depths of God's love for you.

and for all those (especially alpo) who like arabic chant, here's some more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2-iqilyaK0

and for those without youtube (or the time to watch!), here are the lyrics in 3 languages:
http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/2505

it is the 'fraction prayer' (prayer of breaking the consecrated bread) for the fast and feast of the apostles which is in june/july.
it explains some things about the coming of Jesus and how He became man and died and resurrected for us.
 Smiley
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2013, 04:56:43 PM »

1 Corinthians 11:19

Or, as St. Augustine put it, the Church must have a good digestion.

Yeah or it is because the text is hardly univocal, especially the Gospels.

This is what I don't get about YiM, if you want to be the earliest follow of Christ, you need to start by rejecting the whole divinity part.

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #203 on: October 31, 2013, 04:57:06 PM »

More Anwar Al-Awlaki! Only the youtube links have gone missing...  Sad

I listened to tons of that guy's stuff. A really good speaker and a great Muslim apologist. I think I must still have his talks stored up somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:58:01 PM by Romaios » Logged
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2013, 04:58:48 PM »

I am primarily Christian. In order to separate myself from some other "Christians" who insist on worshipping foreign gods (allah worshippers, for instance), I designate myself as a Yahwist.

If you separate yourself from the Arab-speaking Orthodox, you separate yourself from all the Orthodox who are in communion with them. Not pretty, I tell you!  Roll Eyes

Then I would still find myself a place among the Messianic Jews or Evangelicals.  Wink

Huh

And what if Arabic-speaking Messianic Jews or Evangelicals use the word Allah? Where will you go?

illah = God.

Allah = The God (Al Illah)
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2013, 04:59:03 PM »

I love it.

*Books next flight to the Middle East*

Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2013, 05:00:05 PM »

Huh

I would pray at home and humbly ask Yeshua to hasten His return.  angel

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »

illah = God.

Allah = The God (Al Illah)

Allah is the chief god of Meccan polytheism, the father of Allat! A pagan god and idol.

La allah illa YHWH, the God of Israel!

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2013, 05:04:37 PM »

Zeus was often called o Theos...

-Samuel Coleridge
Theophilos78
Archon

« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »

God said further to Moshe, “Say this to the people of Isra’el: ‘Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh [Adonai], the God of your fathers, the God of Avraham, the God of Yitz’chak and the God of Ya‘akov, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever; this is how I am to be remembered generation after generation. (Exodus 3:15)

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »

I feel a bit comfortable when Y-word is used so casually. The second commandment and all that. IMO it's a bit disrespectful to make it as label of oneself.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »

There's plenty of verses in the Bible.  We can start with the gospel of Matthew, where it gives us a hint of the type of person Jesus was from his childhood.

In Matthew Chapter 1, we find out Christ is born of a Virgin, which never happened in the history of mankind, nor probably will ever happen in the future.  It is remarkable that even the Quran attests to the fact that Jesus was born of a Virgin.  Why do you think he was the only one born of a Virgin, Poppy?

"The Virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and THEY will call Him "Immanuel" (which means "God with us")." (Matthew 1:23)

And the seeking to WORSHIP the baby Jesus is mentioned in the next chapter:

"Where is the one who was born king of the Jews?  We saw His star when it rose and have come to worship Him." (2:2)

"Go and search carefully for the child.  As soon as you find Him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship Him." (2:8 )

"On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped Him.  Then they opened their treasures and presented Him with gifts of gold, frankinscence, and myrrh." (2:11)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:18:37 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »

God said further to Moshe, “Say this to the people of Isra’el: ‘Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh [Adonai], the God of your fathers, the God of Avraham, the God of Yitz’chak and the God of Ya‘akov, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever; this is how I am to be remembered generation after generation. (Exodus 3:15)

That doesn't explain why God is called o Theos in the New Testament. If it's okay to use a Greek title of a pagan god to describe God why is it wrong to use the Arabic equivalent of o Theos?

-Samuel Coleridge
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2013, 05:22:35 PM »

I listened to tons of that guy's stuff. A really good speaker and a great Muslim apologist. I think I must still have his talks stored up somewhere.

I don't know what to say about that. I just don't know.

I love it.

*Books next flight to the Middle East*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSo-_dbvnGA Psalm 136 Lebanon

There's plenty of verses in the Bible.  We can start with the gospel of Matthew, where it gives us a hint of the type of person Jesus was from his childhood.

In Matthew Chapter 1, we find out Christ is born of a Virgin, which never happened in the history of mankind, nor probably will ever happen in the future.  It is remarkable that even the Quran attests to the fact that Jesus was born of a Virgin.  Why do you think he was the only one born of a Virgin, Poppy?

"The Virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and THEY will call Him "Immanuel" (which means "God with us")." (Matthew 1:23)

And the seeking to WORSHIP the baby Jesus is mentioned in the next chapter:

"Where is the one who was born king of the Jews?  We saw His star when it rose and have come to worship Him." (2:2)

"Go and search carefully for the child.  As soon as you find Him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship Him." (2:8 )

"On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped Him.  Then they opened their treasures and presented Him with gifts of gold, frankinscence, and myrrh." (2:11)

Luke 1:42-3 "And she exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?"

Leviticus 26:11-13 "I will place my dwelling in your midst, and I shall not abhor you. 12 And I will walk among you, and will be your God, and you shall be my people. 13 I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be their slaves no more; I have broken the bars of your yoke and made you walk erect."

Proverbs 8:22-24 "The Lord created me at the beginning of his work, the first of his acts of long ago. Ages ago I was set up, at the first, before the beginning of the earth." (Holy Wisdom was pre-existant)

"So the Jews said to him, 'You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am." (John 8:57-58, Christ existed before Abraham)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:32:10 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »

I once considered Islam. I was interested in the history and culture of the islamic world and there was a lot of things I found very beautiful, like the way muslims pray, the quran recitation, the architecture etc. However, in the end, I realised, that what appealed to me about Islam, was the outer aspects. When it came to the actual theology, I just couldn't agree.

+7

That doesn't mean I don't struggle with Xtianity, including the BIG issue, but I never had the break through with Islam.

My interest and pull towards it varied, but ultimately, the more I studied and gained exposure, the more I was convinced that I could not be Muslim.

I still greatly appreciate this "outer" beauty of Islam, but I am wary of its teachings.  Aspects of its theology proved almost too easy for me to believe, and ultimately something felt "not right" about it.  I use this rather un-theological phrase, because I'm not trying to argue or convince anyone of anything.  I'm simply stating my relevant experience.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »

Hi Poppy,

I remember you mentioned something about how we as Christians should pray the hours.  In the Coptic Church, we do have a prayer book of the hours.  It's called the Agpeya (agpeya.org).  In the Greek Church, it is called the Horologion.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2013, 05:28:45 PM »

Well, he didn't brainwash me into becoming a mujahedin and he certainly didn't convince me to convert to Islam. I just admired his eloquence...

He was also a (good?) source of information on the Islamic version of the lives of the Prophets, Muhammad, Muslim martyrs, etc.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:32:12 PM by Romaios » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »

guys, can we put the arguments about the name of God on the relevant thread?

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,54252.0.html

then this thread will be tidier!
 angel

alpo, it's egypt you need to go to get good arabic chant.
send me a personal message when you go so i can hide in your suitcase!
 Wink

and the link to the prayer book minasoliman mentioned is here:

http://www.agpeya.org/

gotta go so i can pray, not just talk about it!
 Cool
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »

This thread just started to seem interesting.

Agni parthene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gykIQkYCijs
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:35:19 PM by Alpo » Logged

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #219 on: October 31, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »

Well, he didn't brainwash me into becoming a mujahedin and he certainly didn't convince me to convert to Islam. I just admired his eloquence...

He was also a (good?) source of information on the Islamic version of the lives of the Prophets, Muhammad, Muslim martyrs, etc.

I am just wondering if you were serious or not. I listened to him too, so.

'The Dust Will Never Settle Down' reveals the true nature of Islam. I just hope the NSA isn't spying. You know they are, that's the funny and a bit scary thing.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:53:05 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #220 on: October 31, 2013, 05:38:40 PM »

This is what I don't get about YiM, if you want to be the earliest follow of Christ, you need to start by rejecting the whole divinity part.

My recollection was that it was the other way around: the earliest heretics were those who couldn't accept that Jesus was human as well as divine. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

« Reply #221 on: October 31, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »

The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #222 on: October 31, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »

I don't buy into all those silly "He's greater than us, He deserves worship by default" or "But look at the beauty of the world! He deserves worship!" arguments that many mainstream Christian and Muslim apologists make.

I guess St Paul doesn't do it for you?  

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #223 on: October 31, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »

I once considered Islam. I was interested in the history and culture of the islamic world and there was a lot of things I found very beautiful, like the way muslims pray, the quran recitation, the architecture etc. However, in the end, I realised, that what appealed to me about Islam, was the outer aspects. When it came to the actual theology, I just couldn't agree.

+7

That doesn't mean I don't struggle with Xtianity, including the BIG issue, but I never had the break through with Islam.

My interest and pull towards it varied, but ultimately, the more I studied and gained exposure, the more I was convinced that I could not be Muslim.

I still greatly appreciate this "outer" beauty of Islam, but I am wary of its teachings.  Aspects of its theology proved almost too easy for me to believe, and ultimately something felt "not right" about it.  I use this rather un-theological phrase, because I'm not trying to argue or convince anyone of anything.  I'm simply stating my relevant experience.

Which is what I think poppy is looking for.

In a strict sense, talking about "Islam" or "Christianity" in general makes almost no sense to me.

But the flood of apologetic.exe get tired and boring.

Really Amadeus is the worst in this thread in that regard.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #224 on: October 31, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »

I just hope the NSA isn't spying. You know they are, that's the funny and a bit scary thing.

If we can't be guaranteed of our privacy on a public internet forum, where can we find it?!?

P.S.
Jihad--just to make sure!

P.P.S.
Sorry, back on topic.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags: truth philosophy Kant Islam Incarnation immature egotistical idiots 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: