OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 07:00:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts  (Read 462 times) Average Rating: 0
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« on: March 23, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »

Hi there!

According to some saying (attributed to Buddha) : "With our thoughts we create the world" .

My question is where are thoughts originated according to the Orthodox faith? Are our "thoughts" our own? What about imagination? Where does imagination come from?

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Greatest I am
Muted
Elder

Faith: Gnostic

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:05:25 AM »

Hi there!

According to some saying (attributed to Buddha) : "With our thoughts we create the world" .

My question is where are thoughts originated according to the Orthodox faith? Are our "thoughts" our own? What about imagination? Where does imagination come from?

http://vimeo.com/26318064

This link speaks of the possibility of a cosmic consciousness (living) in our earth's electromagnetic shield.

I think that is a part of our reality and I think this thanks to having had an apotheosis.

Most of our thoughts are our own creation in our own minds but I think that the odd thought may filter through from what I call the Godhead or cosmic consciousness. I have no proof of any of this and the only part I can say I believe is that the cosmic consciousness is real. The rest is speculation.

I do think there is some bleeding through of thoughts just on the fact that perhaps 3 or 4 times in my life I have woken up from rem sleep with a word in mind that I did not know or recognize and that required research to find. They usually had something to do with religion and one of the words led me to the religion I chose. Gnostic Christianity.

To believe anything of what I wrote you would have to accept that telepathy is real. I did it twice in my long life. The first was with my wife who called it an assault. I made her cry. The second was with the cosmic consciousness. It made me cry. Without my wife to confirm that telepathy is real, I would give no veracity to the second or to a cosmic consciousness.

I think that God should serve man and not man serve God. Fathers serve the family and fathers do not expect children and the family to serve them. In that sense, the Godhead did it's duty of serving me after I did the work of seeking God as Jesus instructed. 

Regards
DL

Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: Priestless Old Belief
Jurisdiction: Betwixt Antioch and familiarity

"The Emperor Alexander died at Taganrog."

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:26:59 AM »

Fathers serve the family and fathers do not expect children and the family to serve them.

Had I known that, I would have had my father mow the lawn...

Quote from: Leo Tolstoy to Grand Duke Nikolai Mikhailovich
[W]hatever was hidden behind the name of the hermit Feodor . . . let historical evidence fail to connect Alexander with Kuzmich, the Legend lives in all its beauty and sincerity.
Greatest I am
Muted
Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:34:24 AM »

Fathers serve the family and fathers do not expect children and the family to serve them.

Then the gain would have been his and not yours and that would not serve you well.

I take it you think you have something to offer a God. What could that possibly be?

Do you believe in Jesus?

He said that the Sabbath was created for man and not man created for the Sabbath. If you understand that saying then you should recognize that God is to serve man and not man serve God.

Regards
DL
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:55:10 AM »

However, by serving God, man actually is serving himself....as by following God's teachings, he is in fact, saving himself.

As for the OP, our thoughts are our own.  We have free will, and free thoughts....otherwise, we would not be held accountable for even thinking of committing adultery.

Don't get all messed up with Buddhism.  These faiths tend to fool you into believing you are something that you are not.  They make you meditate and focus on self, and to search for god within you. 

Orthodoxy teaches us to pray outward, to God, not to ourselves.  To seek God outside of ourselves first, and once we have found Him, to get closer to Him, thereby, changing ourselves to be like God.

You cannot find God within you, until you have found Him without you.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Greatest I am
Muted
Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:37:21 AM »

However, by serving God, man actually is serving himself....as by following God's teachings, he is in fact, saving himself.

As a Gnostic Christian, we think we all have a spark of God within us. I do not see us as ever needing saving as God would not condemn one of his own. John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

In your teacher scenario, is the student serving the teacher or is the teacher serving the seeker?
I see the pupil benefiting and not the teacher so the teacher is serving the seeker. 
Don't get all messed up with Buddhism.  These faiths tend to fool you into believing you are something that you are not.  They make you meditate and focus on self, and to search for god within you. 

Orthodoxy teaches us to pray outward, to God, not to ourselves.  To seek God outside of ourselves first, and once we have found Him, to get closer to Him, thereby, changing ourselves to be like God.

Indeed. It sounds like you have completely ignored the teachings of Jesus.

John 6 ; 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Regards
DL
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 06:52:54 PM »

Quote from: Greatest I am
Indeed. It sounds like you have completely ignored the teachings of Jesus.

You will never convince people of your point of view with language like this.

If you just come here to pester people, surely you can find another hobby.

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »

Inspiration leading to the Congregation of Worship.
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 06:41:01 AM »

As for the OP, our thoughts are our own.  We have free will, and free thoughts....otherwise, we would not be held accountable for even thinking of committing adultery.

What is temptation then? Where does it come from? Don't the fathers say that some of our thoughts come from the angels and some(temptations) from the devil? What then? What about imagination, you didn't answer this one. Where does imagination come from?

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 10:10:59 AM »

Imagination is all on you.

If I am bored, I can spin the most wonderful daydreams.  These come neither from good angels, bad angels, the devil or God....they come from my own musings.

The only outside influence might be a subtle suggestion on which path those thoughts/imaginations take.  When impure thoughts occur, evil may try to encourage them and help you get "lost" in them...however, goodness will try to help you stop these thoughts, and think of something pure and harmless.

Temptation...well, that does not come from God.  Remember, it was the devil that tempted Christ in the desert, not the other way around.

When we pray "and lead us not in to temptation", in the Lord's prayer, we do not mean that God gives us this temptation, but, we ask that He helps us avoid it.

In other words, if I am an alcoholic, and being at my friend's birthday party will tempt me to start drinking again, I ask that God help me avoid this party....perhaps my friend will decide not to serve liquor, perhaps my friend will cancel the party, perhaps my friend will simply forget to invite me.

Temptation does not come from God, but, He can certainly help us avoid it.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Cackles
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »

Then the gain would have been his and not yours and that would not serve you well.

I take it you think you have something to offer a God. What could that possibly be?

Do you believe in Jesus?

He said that the Sabbath was created for man and not man created for the Sabbath. If you understand that saying then you should recognize that God is to serve man and not man serve God.

Regards
DL

All of this is laughable cult nonsense. A trap.

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 03:04:49 PM »

Imagination is all on you.

If I am bored, I can spin the most wonderful daydreams.  These come neither from good angels, bad angels, the devil or God....they come from my own musings.

The only outside influence might be a subtle suggestion on which path those thoughts/imaginations take.  When impure thoughts occur, evil may try to encourage them and help you get "lost" in them...however, goodness will try to help you stop these thoughts, and think of something pure and harmless.

Temptation...well, that does not come from God.  Remember, it was the devil that tempted Christ in the desert, not the other way around.

When we pray "and lead us not in to temptation", in the Lord's prayer, we do not mean that God gives us this temptation, but, we ask that He helps us avoid it.

In other words, if I am an alcoholic, and being at my friend's birthday party will tempt me to start drinking again, I ask that God help me avoid this party....perhaps my friend will decide not to serve liquor, perhaps my friend will cancel the party, perhaps my friend will simply forget to invite me.

Temptation does not come from God, but, He can certainly help us avoid it.

Well I was referring to thoughts such as imagination, creativity, FAITH, etc.. Where do this come from? There are expressions like "you have a big imagination" . It is true in life also. Some people have bigger imagination, more creativity and more faith, where do this come from and originate?

What about thoughts if the devil(s) tempt us with thoughts doesn't that mean that not all (if not none) of our thoughts are really ours? Many times people are deceived by their own thoughts and beaten by them. Where do they come from. Some have inspiring, creating, motivating thoughts upon them while others deceitful, doubting, insecure thoughts. How come? Where is this line drawer? Some have more power within them(without experience) and some less. How come, where does this come from? Some nice creative, developing thoughts while others uninspiring, insecure, forgetful thoughts. How come? Where do this come from? Some motivation , some lack of motivation. Some deceived by their own thoughts even unto desperation and hysteria, while some helped by their own thoughts and in their retreat. Can someone explain all this to me?

Robert Green Ingersoll
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »

Don't allow the devil to rule your thoughts.

He only has as much influence on you, as you let him.

This is not only in thoughts, but, in words and deeds.

He can tempt you, entice you....but, YOU are responsible for giving in to that temptation.  He cannot make you do anything, or think anything.

Even if a nasty, unclean thought enters your mind....make an effort to change that train of thought.  Think about something else, think about the tragedies in life others face, think about the beauty of the singing birds outside, think of your parents, think of something other than what you shouldn't be thinking....and mostly "think" or say some prayers to dispel the negativity.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »

How does an evil, unclean thought enter into one's mind? How does any thought? Where do thoughts originate?

Robert Green Ingersoll
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 03:50:39 PM »

..you see...there are these neurons, that fire electric impulses...and there's these chemicals....

In other words, I don't know.  Cheesy

—St. Isaac of Syria
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 04:01:08 PM »

How does an evil, unclean thought enter into one's mind? How does any thought? Where do thoughts originate?

"We are not our own, we were bought at a price...."

With that said, we still have freewill and can choose to follow God's will or the will of our flesh.

We are tempted constantly in our lives.  We must resist and follow God's will and commands to us despite these temptations.  In the scriptures we were told to "pray without ceasing".   This is kind of hard to do, but try to pray when bad/evil thoughts enter your mind.  Ask God to be with you, and to rid your mind of impurities, and to help you do his will.

It works for me a lot.  Unfortunately though, I'm a pretty weak guy and still sin - a lot. Sad   But we strive on, and learn from errors, and attempt to do God's will the next time - and all the time.   Smiley

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:01:27 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 08:31:51 PM »

Thought begets heresy.  Heresy begets retribution.

Codex Assassins - Warhammer 40K, Thought for the day.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Greatest I am
Muted
Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »

Don't allow the devil to rule your thoughts.

He only has as much influence on you, as you let him.

This is not only in thoughts, but, in words and deeds.

He can tempt you, entice you....but, YOU are responsible for giving in to that temptation.  He cannot make you do anything, or think anything.

Even if a nasty, unclean thought enters your mind....make an effort to change that train of thought.  Think about something else, think about the tragedies in life others face, think about the beauty of the singing birds outside, think of your parents, think of something other than what you shouldn't be thinking....and mostly "think" or say some prayers to dispel the negativity.

Are you saying that the bible is wrong when it says that God gave Satan the power to deceive the whole world?

Are some somehow immune from God's power being yielded by Satan?

Regards
DL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: