OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 06:09:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Don't Have to Like Your Priest  (Read 444 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: March 20, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »

An interesting article (I think):

http://goodguyswearblack.org/2014/03/19/you-dont-have-to-like-your-priest/

There are many reasons for you not to like your priest. It may be because his homilies are too dry, lack patristic moorings, or stray too far from the Biblical text. His answers to your deepest theological, spiritual, and personal challenges may leave you cold and unsatisfied... [snip] And that’s okay: you don’t have to like your priest.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 02:19:34 PM »

That's a good article.  It's always good to remember that priests are humans, too.

podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »

It is better if you do, but....

Thank you, a good read.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:03:09 PM »

Cool article. I for one, love my priest and consider him part of my family.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Ersaia
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 07:38:36 PM »

from my perspective there are many stupid priests
 Grin

this is one of them
he says that furby has a devil inside and prostitution inside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivbm7yZsO3A

furby is the satan and antichrist and demonized the childrens

( I have no idea if he is old or new calendarist )
wainscottbl
High Elder

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Tunc dicit ei Jesus: Vade Satana!

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:14:08 PM »

I disliked my first priest after becoming Catholic--he was a jerk and a bad priest who told me I could go to communion even though I was not in a state of grace because I could confess later. I did once but leaned. He was just a huge, nasty liberal of the worst sort. He was the only priest in the whole diocese to not let the guy who does the Billboards for Life come to his parish to collect money for the charity for pro-life billboards. Every other priest, even the big liberals, allowed this guy.

And I liked my last one before I stopped going to the Latin Mass. A confessor who was bad for my scruples that I stopped using for confession. But also just too strict. There was also another one, an SSPX priest, French, who I did not care much for. But he was a decent confessor. I just did not like him. And I had a priest I did not like when I was staying with the Institute of Christ the King, but I did learn a lot from him about living in a religious community--that there are people you don't like and have to deal with. This priest was moody and a bit arrogant, but he was a good priest. His personality could be repulsive but it was a great lesson. The communal life is not picture perfect!

But pretty much every priest I have liked. Some more than others. My favourite died a year ago this April. He was a walking saint.

Eternal rest, holy father! Eternal memory to your pastoral glory!

"I thought I should be too miserable, unless folded in female arms; and of the medicine of Thy mercy to cure that infirmity I thought not, not having tried it. As for continency..none can be continent unless [God] gives it."  --St. Augustine of Hippo
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 07:11:54 PM »

from my perspective there are many stupid priests
 Grin

this is one of them
he says that furby has a devil inside and prostitution inside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivbm7yZsO3A

furby is the satan and antichrist and demonized the childrens

( I have no idea if he is old or new calendarist )

don't forget this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzN2dxDOj-I

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
wainscottbl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »

Not that the comments on YouTube videos are worth much but he is clearly saying the Divine Liturgy and I am not even sure if he is preaching, though he is in a church. As someone said though he could be looking at a message about an emergency, such as someone that has been sick. Or he could just be being rude. In any case there are stupid priests. Maybe not intellectually, but their person. They are human after all. The second idiot among the apostles was Peter. Judas was the first of course but next comes Peter, swinging his sword and all that like a buffoon. John was the smartest. But Peter is the first among them--first among equals lest we get into the whole papal thing. It's proof that God know what he is doing but giving us buffoons for priests.

"I thought I should be too miserable, unless folded in female arms; and of the medicine of Thy mercy to cure that infirmity I thought not, not having tried it. As for continency..none can be continent unless [God] gives it."  --St. Augustine of Hippo
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:20 AM »

And, lest we forget, giving priests buffoons for parishioners.  Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
wainscottbl
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 04:18:32 PM »

And, lest we forget, giving priests buffoons for parishioners.  Grin

True enough. I remember at the Latin Mass the priest said in the announcements following the sermon that in receiving the host there was not need for people to stick there tongues out like giraffes and look stupidly up at him. He even showed us what he meant. I was hoping I was not one of those doing that. I remember being conscious of it in pretty much every communion after, even with other priests. I know that was not his intention and know people sticking their tongues out like giraffes must be unseemly. In any case that was a priest I did not like, not for that but for other things Still, good in the confessional and that is what matters. A good confessor. At least to me.

There is a priest here at the Novus Ordo church, young and conservative, who means well but whose sermons are annoying. Not for the content he is speaking of which is good, but for the way he speaks. He his a horrible orator. It's like he is reading off a paper and worse he has the manner of having  using the same repeated up and down manner of his voice. It's just quite a pain to hear, almost penance. His sermons would be good if he could manage to not do that, but he is young. Maybe he will learn. Not easy giving sermons. Maybe just a bad habit because he is new at sermons.

Cackles
Muted
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (Canada)

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »

PP

Then you should hae asked him 3 times for marriage councelling.

The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »

Priests are people.  They have interests hobbies families etc.. it'd be better if more folks got to see at least a little bit of the priest's non church side. Often they don't and it creates a weird dichotomy between the laity and clergy.  Sometimes a good man is shoved to the corner by his parish because of the distance and sometimes a bad priest is kept in clergy because people won't take off their blunders and see him as a person.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »

PP

Then you should hae asked him 3 times for marriage councelling.

Why not four?

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Skydive
Warned
Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 04:16:46 PM »

That's a good article.  It's always good to remember that priests are humans, too.

what proof there is that they are anything else?

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »

That's a good article.  It's always good to remember that priests are humans, too.

For all the worries they have to hear and all the annoying parishioners they have to stand, I believe most priests are just about walking Saints. I'd go nuts in a week or so.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:25:33 PM by Alpo » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 05:15:59 PM »

Some people treat them as something else.

Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 05:28:04 PM »

As a monk remarked to me, we are commanded to love our neighbour but do not have to like them. There are people who I don't like but do respect. Loving those who you like, or who share your views is easy. Loving those you dislike, find unattractive or downright disagreeable is challenging but we are commanded to love them too.

GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 07:29:49 PM »

This is an interesting subject.  There have been several (more than five families) leave our parish for another one nearby.  All but one stated that they simply didn't like our priest and so they left.  To me, this is indicative of a Protestant mentality; Don't like your church?  Leave and start another one.  But why is this wrong?  Because it shows these folks don't understand obedience and humility.

Now, of course there are instances where you should leave your priest; if he's a renegade and violating Church dogma, molestation/improper conduct, etc... 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »

Seems like it should depend on the reason, and not always of the child-molesting or heresy-proclaiming severity. Before people become monks they are not only allowed to 'check out' a monastery, but fully expected to. And if it doesn't 'fit them' (or they don't fit it) then they are to move on. If potential monks, who will spend their lives being obedient, simple, putting to death their self-will, learning not to value so highly their own opinions, etc., are allowed to make such decisions, I don't see why lay people shouldn't. Besides, if someone wants to leave for a questionable reason (whatever that might be),  would it be realistic to expect that they'd be obedient if they stayed out of some sense of obligation or necessity?

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 09:34:39 PM »

I would think it would be important to like your priest.  After all if you seek him for spiritual guidance it may just be important that you like and trust him.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: