OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 07:05:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Levels of Heaven and Hell  (Read 5021 times) Average Rating: 0
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« on: June 16, 2008, 03:54:34 AM »

Does Orthodoxy believe that Heaven and Hell are made up of different levels? If so, is it possible for non-Christians to at least go to the nearest level of Heaven (1st level?)? If non-Christians go to Hell, are they guaranteed to suffer even if they are on the first level of Hell, even if they were good people, like Gandhi? Sorry if this was confusing....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:54:55 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:58:35 AM »

You mean like Dante's Inferno in the Divine Comedy?

No, there are no levels (and it's even possible to debate that Heaven and Hell are just states of being while in God's presence, but that's been discussed ad nauseum). Yet nothing we experience after death is truly Heaven or truly Hell until the Final Judgment.

Nevertheless, it is not a guarantee than non-Christians are damned. We do not know how the Creator judges, and we only know where the Holy Spirit is, not where it is absent.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:10:09 AM »

Nevertheless, it is not a guarantee than non-Christians are damned.

So then how does Orthodoxy explain "No man cometh to the Father but through me" bit?

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:15:50 AM »

We know how we go through him, but he may very well say to Ghandi, "What you have done unto the least of your brethren you did unto me. Enter into the joy of your master."

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
Sophie

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:50:53 AM »

You mean like Dante's Inferno in the Divine Comedy?

No, there are no levels (and it's even possible to debate that Heaven and Hell are just states of being while in God's presence, but that's been discussed ad nauseum). Yet nothing we experience after death is truly Heaven or truly Hell until the Final Judgment.

Nevertheless, it is not a guarantee than non-Christians are damned. We do not know how the Creator judges, and we only know where the Holy Spirit is, not where it is absent.

Um, I understand that, yes there are levels. And I have no idea what Dante has written about so I am not referring to him. My understanding is that depending on our degree of faith and way of life, we are not all to ascend to the same level of heaven or descend to the same level of hell for that matter. Forgive my putting it crudely but I believe this is the basic idea more or less.

"Thoughts are like airplanes flying in the air. If you ignore them, there is no problem. If you pay attention to them, you create an airport inside your head and permit them to land!" (Priestmonk Christodoulos Aggeloglou, Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain Mount Athos, Greece, 1998,pp. 29-30, 48)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:46:55 AM »

It's not so much that there are levels of heaven and hell, as Dante described, which are immutable, eternal states. It's that we will experience God's love differently. Some will receive it better than others. Those who receive it best will be in the highest level of heaven, so to speak; those who reject it most will be in the lowest circle of hell, so to speak. Dante was not entirely incorrect, but as he was not Orthodox, he does not speak for us.

Hope that helps.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »

This is also how I've understood heaven and hell: there aren't levels so much as degrees for each individual. Those who are in hell are those who have turned away from God, but their experience there will be determined by how much they've personally turned away from God. Likewise with heaven. As to non-Christians, I don't know, other than that God will judge justly/lovingly.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:56:26 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Building up my spiritual life one blurry avatar at a time!
Seamus ODonnell

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 12:11:59 AM »

It's not so much that there are levels of heaven and hell, as Dante described, which are immutable, eternal states. It's that we will experience God's love differently. Some will receive it better than others. Those who receive it best will be in the highest level of heaven, so to speak; those who reject it most will be in the lowest circle of hell, so to speak. Dante was not entirely incorrect, but as he was not Orthodox, he does not speak for us.

Hope that helps.
You speak with such assurance.  Both you and Simayan.  Do you mean to say that this is your understanding?  Or have you been to hell or had the answer revealed to you?  Provide us with your (seemingly) Divine insight.  Suffice it to say that I am not a Christian so you'll really need to offer more than just the party line.

Respectfully,

Seamus

The Claidheamh Mòr of Courteous Debate
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 12:21:36 AM »

You speak with such assurance.  Both you and Simayan.  Do you mean to say that this is your understanding?  Or have you been to hell or had the answer revealed to you?  Provide us with your (seemingly) Divine insight.  Suffice it to say that I am not a Christian so you'll really need to offer more than just the party line.

Respectfully,

Seamus

It seems to be the consensus among the Church fathers and the experience of the Church.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 12:33:10 AM »

As I understand the Orthodox view on heaven and hell, it's as someone (ytterbiumanalyst and someone else?) has already said; it's not so much levels but degrees? I have heard it explained as the degree of how much we long to be with or long not to be with God here and now that will be our degree of heaven and hell.

Sort of like when one has a great friend whose company we really desire. Recognising great value in them, we find it's a joy to be with them; we are comfortable and at ease with them.

Then, on the other hand, there are those that we don't recognise any value in their company. For whatever reason, we can't stand to be in the same room with them and we groan when we see their car pull into the driveway. We suffer in their company, can't wait for them to leave so that we can regain our equilibrium.

I sort of, rightly or wrongly, equate this to how it will be when we come face to face with God. But I don't get the impression that this condition or state of being is static.   

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 12:38:41 AM »

The Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31) shows that there is a chasm separating Father Abraham's Bosom (e.g. Heaven) from the place of eternal suffering.  The Gospel passage didn't imply any levels for Heaven or Hell. 

2 Corinthians 12:1-6 implies the third Heaven is the highest Heaven while Paradise is the City of God where he reigns among the just.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 12:46:01 AM »

Respectfully,

Seamus
So you would counsel us to not trust in what God has revealed to others (e.g., the Apostles and Holy Fathers, whom we venerate as great lights within the Church) and seek direct experience or revelations for ourselves?  Would you ask that we stop doing that which makes us Orthodox Christians to follow after our own easily deceived intuitions?
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 12:57:30 AM »

People who've taken, ahem, recreational drugs could describe the levels of Heaven and Hell except that such a description would not be consistent between different people who've taken the same recreational drugs and would definitely not be theologically valid.   angel
Seamus ODonnell

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 01:08:47 AM »

So you would counsel us to not trust in what God has revealed to others (e.g., the Apostles and Holy Fathers, whom we venerate as great lights within the Church) and seek direct experience or revelations for ourselves?  Would you ask that we stop doing that which makes us Orthodox Christians to follow after our own easily deceived intuitions?
I would do no such thing and I believe you've completely missrepresented or missunderstood my point.  The person I questioned spoke with such authoritative assurance, sans Biblical/Patristic quotes, that it seemed they were privy to knowledge brought about by either experience or Divine insight.  Try to be more discerning in your criticism next time.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 01:13:13 AM »

I would do no such thing and I believe you've completely missrepresented or missunderstood my point.  The person I questioned spoke with such authoritative assurance, sans Biblical/Patristic quotes

So, one comes to an Orthodox Christian forum and asks about the levels of Heaven and Hell without expecting a quote from Scripture nor a quotation from Patristic sources.

OK, here's the best answer, I don't know.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 01:13:44 AM »

I would do no such thing and I believe you've completely missrepresented or missunderstood my point.  The person I questioned spoke with such authoritative assurance, sans Biblical/Patristic quotes, that it seemed they were privy to knowledge brought about by either experience or Divine insight.  Try to be more discerning in your criticism next time.

Actually Seamus I think you misunderstood Mr.Y's point. Mr. Y is speaking from the experience of the Church fathers and our Theology. Peter was questioning why you think the Bible, church fathers and the Holy Tradition do not suffice for you?

Seamus ODonnell

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 01:25:46 AM »

Actually Seamus I think you misunderstood Mr.Y's point. Mr. Y is speaking from the experience of the Church fathers and our Theology. Peter was questioning why you think the Bible, church fathers and the Holy Tradition do not suffice for you?
They probably would have given the matter a bit more weight, but since no reference was given
  The person I questioned spoke with such authoritative assurance, sans Biblical/Patristic quotes, that it seemed they were privy to knowledge brought about by either experience or Divine insight.  
This, then, was where I took umbrage.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 01:28:20 AM »

And yet you stated that merely offering the "party line" is not good enough for you.  For us, the party line is the Scriptures, the Apostolic Tradition, the Holy Fathers, etc.  This is the source from which we draw our faith, so for us to give you more than the "party line" is to relate to you personal experiences that may in fact not be Orthodox.  You come to an Orthodox discussion forum seeking answers, but what answers do you want?  Potentially deceitful personal revelations, or the teachings of the Orthodox Tradition?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:38:20 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 01:36:38 AM »

^^ Seamus, are you in any crisis?
Seamus ODonnell

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 01:45:54 AM »

Listen, the main problem I see on religious forums, be they Christian or Buddhist or Islamic, is that people neglect to preface their posts with some form of intimation with scripture or some other religious figure.  Rather, many simply prefer to post in such a manner as to seemingly pass off ancient wisdom as their own.  

"Party line" was a bad choice of words.  I mean no disrespect towards Orthodox Christianity of Orthodox Christians.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:47:29 AM by Seamus ODonnell » Logged

Seamus ODonnell

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 01:48:25 AM »

^^ Seamus, are you in any crisis?
Why do you ask?  Are you a licensed therapist? Wink

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 01:54:48 AM »

I'm not a licensed therapist; However, I have training in recognizing people in crisis based on what they communicate to others.   Wink

The line of thought of your recent posts in this thread plus the title of another recent thread led me to believe that perhaps your visit here could be a cry for help based on something happening recenty?

If you're in crisis, please call 1.800.SUICIDE or 911 ASAP.  If not, please pardon my intrusion.   angel
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 02:06:39 AM »

The resident therapist on oc.net is Ozgeorge. You can ask him if he would be willing to give you some advice Cheesy.

Seamus ODonnell

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 02:07:13 AM »

I'm not a licensed therapist; However, I have training in recognizing people in crisis based on what they communicate to others.   Wink

The line of thought of your recent posts in this thread plus the title of another recent thread led me to believe that perhaps your visit here could be a cry for help based on something happening recenty?

If you're in crisis, please call 1.800.SUICIDE or 911 ASAP.  If not, please pardon my intrusion.   angel
Thankfully, no crisis.  Just trying to get folks to think.  Also, nothing personal towards Ytterbiumanalyst (hence forward "Mr. Y") or Simayan.  I simply wanted to know how they know what they presented as fact.  And BTW, you might wish to further your 'training' or perhaps go into a different line of work. Smiley

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 02:08:45 AM »

Listen, the main problem I see on religious forums, be they Christian or Buddhist or Islamic, is that people neglect to preface their posts with some form of intimation with scripture or some other religious figure.  Rather, many simply prefer to post in such a manner as to seemingly pass off ancient wisdom as their own.
And yet, on another thread you complain about how many of us prefer to merely regurgitate what we've been taught without ever making that something we would know from personal experience.  This seems to contradict somewhat the words you speak above.  Do you want us to regurgitate what we've been taught, as the above quote seems to suggest, or do you want us to speak what we know from experience (with the authority that such experience brings), or would you rather we keep altogether silent?

(Please note also that we just hijacked someone else's thread, which may require me to split this tangent off into another thread.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:10:43 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
prodromas
OC.net guru

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 02:09:46 AM »

Just trying to get folks to think. 

Oh ok yeah its all cool Seamus we have had many posters come that have told people to think.

"To change the world you must first change yourself" - Unknown

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 02:44:09 AM »

Thankfully, no crisis.  Just trying to get folks to think.  Also, nothing personal towards Ytterbiumanalyst (hence forward "Mr. Y") or Simayan.  I simply wanted to know how they know what they presented as fact.  

I get the impression that this really isn't a topic that anyone can speak of "as fact" and I don't believe that MrY and Simayan were presenting a personal point of view as anything other than what we as Orthodox Christians can ascertain from scripture and the opinions of our Church Fathers. I know that other Christians have very firm viewpoints on this, but we consider it one of those areas that you simply can't throw out a bible verse and get a pat answer. Orthodoxy simply doesn't work that way.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:45:17 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 08:26:12 AM »

Well, actually, this was one of the first questions I had coming into Orthodoxy, as I had come to the conclusion by my own rational thinking that heaven and hell could not be literal places. Therefore, I asked my priest how Orthodoxy viewed heaven and hell, and I received the answer I passed on to you and the rest on this forum.

I make no claim to be an expert; what I share here is my informed opinion, based on what I've learned from the Church and from my own studies. Sometimes I remember where I've learned a particular byte of knowledge, but usually it just becomes part of my paradigm, and I can't really separate one byte from another.

I apologize that I have offended you by my style, but as this is a discussion/debate forum, I usually take a stronger tone for purposes of furthering the argument. In argument truth is often revealed. My thesis may not be absolutely true, but by comparing it with an antithesis the truth will reveal itself. The stronger the theses, the easier this comparison is made. If I were to have said, "Well, I think probably that heaven and hell might have things which are sort of like levels, maybe, if I am not entirely incorrect, and I hope I'm not"--what sort of argument is that? That's the sort of thing which is said by a person with social anxiety disorder. No, I argue strongly, and even when I am wrong (which is pretty often), I have learned better what the truth is.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
anna76

Faith: GREEK ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: GREEK ORTHODOX

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »

according to orthodox church fathers...there is 3 levels of heaven and seven levels of hell (or visa versa) -one or the other. Other non christians will be judged according to their intentions and heart
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 01:02:51 PM »

according to orthodox church fathers...there is 3 levels of heaven and seven levels of hell (or visa versa) -one or the other. Other non christians will be judged according to their intentions and heart
Which Fathers?  Can you quote them?

BTW, welcome to the forum! Grin
anna76

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 11:13:06 PM »

hey thanks for your welcome...i cant remember but its books like unseen welfare etc.... i have defintely read it i may try to google it and let u know more Smiley
anna76

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 11:18:32 PM »

right i googled it we believe as st paul said when he said he caught up to the third heaven...there are three levels of heaven and seven of hell/////
maybe father can quote the church father or fathers that have quoted this?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 12:41:12 AM »

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the doctrine of epektasis yet.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
anna76

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 02:49:33 AM »

can u please elobarate on epektasis

i know we dont believe in puragortory
Tags: heaven Hell Dante afterlife 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: