OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 08:56:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Pregnant Woman Files Charges Over Belly Rubbing"  (Read 2861 times) Average Rating: 0
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« on: October 29, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/can-t-touch-this--pregnant-mom-lawsuit-takes-on-belly-rubbing-211618835.html

Okay, I'm just curious about opinions.

I don't have children yet, but I really hope to one day. Those who are/have been pregnant, do people really approach you out of nowhere and just touch your pregnant belly? Apparently, in the story, a neighbor, 57 yrs old reaches out to his new pregnant next door neighbor, gives her a hug hello, and then rubs her belly and says 'I just want to be friends.' She quickly pushes him away, leaves, and files harassment charges.

My question is, what was this guy thinking? I don't know how you can describe his actions as innocent, but I can completely understand the woman's reaction. I think I would have responded the same way. It's seems like a violation. However, would I feel a little different if it was a woman - maybe. But how can you see it otherwise? I've NEVER wanted to touch a stranger's pregnant belly, and I'd feel violated if someone were to touch mine. But is it because we are becoming less and less innocent-minded nowadays? Should we always think the worst?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »

I hear pregnant ladies complaining about this a lot.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »

Yes people do.

It's ridiculous.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »

Peoples obsession with pregnant strangers and newborns is becoming increasingly more creepy.

Its like people just have to touch it for some reason...why...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Dpaula
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian w/ Romanian background
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »

I think we live in an era where people are overly sensitive and very easily offended.

I feel the urge to touch the pregnant bellies only because I want to connect with the baby. I don't care about the actual belly, I want to feel the baby. I don't do it because I'm scared of people's reactions and certainly I won't like to get sued.

I really don't think Theotokos would've been upset if people would've touched her blessed belly.

This image is not Orthodox, but certainly depicts the fact that it's nothing weird about touching a pregnant belly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DARET_Jacques_Visitation.jpg

Not posting anymore due to the rudeness on this site.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:50:44 AM »

I feel the urge to touch the pregnant bellies only because I want to connect with the baby. I don't care about the actual belly, I want to feel the baby. I don't do it because I'm scared of people's reactions and certainly I won't like to get sued.
That is all sorts of creepz.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »

Yeah, I don't like women touching me and moving my clothes around.

They think it is cute. I don't.

It has happened enough in my life that I think I can relate to pregnant women.

The touch is arguably "neutral" to "desired" (most guys I guess would like women to touch them).
The touch is not asked for.

No thanks.

We live in every increasing facebook world where everyone thinks your conversations, clothes, even body are up for comment when you are in public.

Mine ain't and you take your chances thinking otherwise.

Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 10:53:59 AM »

I really don't think Theotokos would've been upset if people would've touched her blessed belly.

This image is not Orthodox, but certainly depicts the fact that it's nothing weird about touching a pregnant belly.

That is a beautiful image and I'm sure the Theotokos, all-Holy as she is, would never turn anyone away from Her. But the issue is, are our innocent-minded actions as such anymore? Why are we so easily offended? I think it's because we are tarnished, daily, by the disgusting acts of physical/sexual abuse we hear and see. A pregnant belly is a beautiful thing because it carries life! Why would anyone want to tarnish that image with impure thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:59:14 AM by Faith2545 » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 10:54:48 AM »

I guess the difference in the end between the Orthodox and protestants is that the protestants feel confident telling me the subjective experience of Christ, the Odox, the subjective experience of Mary.

You would do well not to attempt to imitate the mind of Saints.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »

That is a beautiful image and I'm sure the Theotokos, all-Holy as she is, would never turn anyone away from Her. But the issue is, are our innocent-minded actions as such anymore? Why are we so easily offended? I think it's because we are tarnished, daily, by the disgusting acts of physical/sexual abuse we hear and see. I pregnant belly is a beautiful thing because it carries life! Why would anyone want to tarnish that image with impure thoughts?

Because the world and people bodies don't revolve around your desires?

Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »

Yeah, I don't like women touching me and moving my clothes around.

They think it is cute. I don't.

It has happened enough in my life that I think I can relate to pregnant women.

The touch is arguably "neutral" to "desired" (most guys I guess would like women to touch them).
The touch is not asked for.

No thanks.

We live in every increasing facebook world where everyone thinks your conversations, clothes, even body are up for comment when you are in public.

Mine ain't and you take your chances thinking otherwise.

I agree. That's supporting my argument - we are not innocent-minded anymore!! Sadly, a simple touch in such manner can bring on the most disgusting of feeling.
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 10:58:15 AM »

That is a beautiful image and I'm sure the Theotokos, all-Holy as she is, would never turn anyone away from Her. But the issue is, are our innocent-minded actions as such anymore? Why are we so easily offended? I think it's because we are tarnished, daily, by the disgusting acts of physical/sexual abuse we hear and see. I pregnant belly is a beautiful thing because it carries life! Why would anyone want to tarnish that image with impure thoughts?

What desires are you referring to?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »

People think they have some sort of right.

Honestly I wish people left me the hell alone.

If I'm on a cell phone on the bus, I get off it i think public commentary should be allowed.

But people think they can interject themselves into my life. Uh no.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »

Can I please rant about my Italian coworker now?

I have my headphones on, working mind you, and she hates when I send her a message over a chat...well uh kinda don't want to talk to you in person.

Tries to get me to bend to her desires and crap. Ugh.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:02:20 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:46 AM »

What desires are you referring to?

To touch a stranger's belly in some better-never-have-existed world?

TBH, I read your post as from Dpaula, so whatever she is going on about.

Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »

I think TOUCH is absolutely very important in a human's life.
I would be in physical pain if I can't touch and if I'm not being touched. We have this sense and it's part of our existence. Like we want to see, we want to hear, taste, smell...we also want to touch. It's beyond me why you guys find "touching" weird and "creepy" ?!?!?!?
Wow!
I choose to use my sense of touch. If you guys don't like your humanly characteristics it's on you, but don't blame the world for being normal.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »

Most of us learned very early on the "keep your hands to yourself" lesson as a means of reducing conflict/not driving our parents insane (how much whining from children, especially siblings, begins with "Moooom, he's touching me!"?). Apparently some people think that goes out the window if someone is pregnant. I very much disagree. If you wouldn't do it if someone wasn't pregnant, then don't assume that you can just because they are. At least freaking ask. It's guaranteed to avoid lawsuits and helps to make you not seem like some sort of creep even though you probably are.

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »

Seems kind of creepy, but it would have helped the neighbor if he asked in the first place.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »

I would be in physical pain if I can't touch and if I'm not being touched. We have this sense and it's part of our existence. Like we want to see, we want to hear, taste, smell...we also want to touch. It's beyond me why you guys find "touching" weird and "creepy" ?!?!?!?
Wow!
I choose to use my sense of touch. If you guys don't like your humanly characteristics it's on you, but don't blame the world for being normal.

Don't touch my body, unless I know you. Then there are rules most sane people understand. Pulling my shirt up ain't cool. Even if I know you.

Don't play with my hair when you are taking my order.

If I were pregnant I would appreciate most folks to ask before touching and accepting NO as a reasonable answer.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »

Wow!

Don't touch my body, unless I know you. Then there are rules most sane people understand. Pulling my shirt up ain't cool. Even if I know you.

Don't play with my hair when you are taking my order.

If I were pregnant I would appreciate most folks to ask before touching and accepting NO as a reasonable answer.

If the cultural norms are different, then fine. When in Rome, but I really don't care for strangers taking an interest in my body much to the puzzlement of women who think they do whatever they wish cause I have a penis and they do not.

By extension, I wouldn't want people thinking they can just touch me cause I have a person in my belly.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 11:09:20 AM »

Dpaula must be the hugger type. I hate those people.

Oh man I loved it when a black girl went off at manager trying to pull that crap. And the mgr gets all offended when she said don't touch me.

Are you kidding??

Black women don't seem to like even being touched during sex either.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:09:57 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »

We can extend this to people thinking they can man handle kids without any report.

IT DRIVES ME CRAZY when I see people take such liberties with strange children.

And FWIW, I've been told I am very affectionate with children and very good with them. But I would never just bowl over a child with physical affection. It is obscene in my mind.

As much as people talk about unborn persons, they certainly don't treat them like person once born. They often treat them as badly as dogs, even with animals I wouldn't take such liberties.

Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 11:12:04 AM »

Ok. Don't take my word for it.
Read some studies about the importance of touch, touch deprivation, touch as a communication tool in a human and non-human and so on.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »

Dpaula, we are not saying we should never touch.

Just, don't touch strangers just cause you SO want to, if that is outside the cultural norm.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »

Read some studies about the importance of touch, touch deprivation, touch as a communication tool in a human and non-human and so on.

OK then I have the right to slap a woman's behind when I see em walk my way. You know I gotta see if I can be sexually compatible with them.

I mean the touch is so important.

You are creepy.

And don't kiss my kids.

I got a story invloving that too.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:16:56 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 11:13:44 AM »

I would love to hear what Quinault has to say.

She is wonderfully odd. It would certainly be interesting.

Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 11:18:03 AM »

OK then I have the right to slap a woman's behind when I see em walk my way.

I mean the touch is so important.

You are creepy.

And don't kiss my kids.

Listen nickname on the internet. I have not offended you yet, but I'm <this> close to do it and I don't think I'll feel bad about it.

Why would you slap a woman? I'm talking about normal touch, not hitting, nothing sexual. Weirdo!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:18:14 AM by Dpaula » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 11:25:03 AM »

It was in jest, I was making a reference to a dumb post I made a few weeks ago.

Anyway. Go ahead and try to offend me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:26:06 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 11:25:28 AM »

Having a stranger just come up and touch/rub your pregnant belly can create an uncomfortable situation. Firstly, we all have a 'personal space,' and the second one enters it, it makes us jump back. Whether getting to close to your face, from the back, side, whatever.

But in this case, I would assume the attempt is to connect with the unborn child (as odd as that sounds.) To feel the baby move or kick. I don't assume one reaches out for any other reason!

Like I said, should it have been a woman, it kind of 'looks' different because women can bond over this experience. But, as I've said, it is a personal violation. I would never want a stranger touching my pregnant belly. I don't think I would file harassment charges that instant. But if it were to happen again, by the same person, that's a different story. My pregnant belly should be mine to touch - and only touched by others I know WELL - not just anyone.

Here's another thought - what if I child were to rub a women's pregnant belly - would you be fine with it if it were you?
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »

And don't kiss my kids.

yes!! Good one! But honestly, I haven't seen that done at all nowadays! Who does that?
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 11:28:19 AM »

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/hands_on_research

“To touch is to give life”
Regrettably, though, some Western cultures are pretty touch-deprived, and this is especially true of the United States.

Ethologists who live in different parts world quickly recognize this. Nonhuman primates spend about 10 to 20 percent of their waking day grooming each other. If you go to various other countries, people spend a lot of time in direct physical contact with one another—much more than we do.

This has been well-documented. One of my favorite examples is a study from the 1960s by pioneering psychologist Sidney Jourard, who studied the conversations of friends in different parts of the world as they sat in a café together. He observed these conversations for the same amount of time in each of the different countries.

What did he find? In England, the two friends touched each other zero times. In the United States, in bursts of enthusiasm, we touched each other twice. "

http://www.uab.edu/Communicationstudies/humancommunication/12_05_Carter_Wrench.pdf

Field (2002b) noted that touch is extremely important for the emotional, physical,
and psychological growth and development for children. Extreme cases of touch
deprivation have been cited in Romanian orphanages where children attained only half
their height. Moreover, there children with extreme touch deprivation have had delays in
cognitive development. Appropriate touch for children has been shown to help with
sleep, reduce bad temper, and enhance academic performance (Hart, Field, Hernandez
-Reif, and Lundy, 1998).

Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »

And don't kiss my kids.

yes!! Good one! But honestly, I haven't seen that done at all nowadays! Who does that?

This is too strange for me.
Maybe I grew up differently, maybe I was raised to love humans, related or not, known or not. A pat on my shoulder, a touch on my hand, a hug, a kiss on the cheek or forehead...they are all normal as far as I'm concerned.
You guys CAN kiss my kids. It's ok.

Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »

And don't kiss my kids.

Maybe I grew up differently, maybe I was raised to love humans, related or not, known or not. A pat on my shoulder, a touch on my hand, a hug, a kiss on the cheek or forehead...they are all normal as far as I'm concerned.

I grew up like that too! And in school, I have the fondest memories of TEACHERS hugging AND kissing me on the head. I felt loved because it was innocently expressed. Can you imagine a teacher doing that now? No! Touching, let alone kissing, is prohibited! Even rubbing a child's back! I think that is sad.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 11:53:36 AM »

While I understand touching pregnant's belly might be uncomfortable suing for that or comparing it to sexual assault is ridiculous.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 11:54:26 AM »

Why do I get the feeling that this thread is going to turn into one of those "hell in a handbasket"-type gripefests where certain people lament that people lock their doors nowadays and nobody waves at you when you walk down the street, and why isn't everything just like the Mayberry they grew up in.

I was raised in a small town where the mailman would come to your garage sale and stuff like that (we were on a first-name basis; he bought our old TV for $20), and it was still never okay to kiss a stranger's children. Just because you have personal space doesn't mean you can't bond with people. There are just appropriate ways and inappropriate ways and unless you know the person very well, you'll never know which is which to them unless you ask, which is what the baby belly-rubbers and kid-kissers seem to never do because, hey, it's fine with them, so what's everyone else's problem?  Roll Eyes

Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »

And don't kiss my kids.

I grew up like that too! And in school, I have the fondest memories of TEACHERS hugging AND kissing me on the head. I felt loved because it was innocently expressed. Can you imagine a teacher doing that now? No! Touching, let alone kissing, is prohibited! Even rubbing a child's back! I think that is sad.

You are so right! I remember when a teacher would hug me , I felt so much appreciation and I felt important and I had this feeling that I'm being recognized for my merits, like I'm doing something good to deserve a hug from THE teacher.
I work in a school now and you are right...nobody is allowed to touch the children. It IS sad!

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 12:02:12 PM »

While I understand touching pregnant's belly might be uncomfortable suing for that or comparing it to sexual assault is ridiculous.
I'm not sure that statement is so accurate. If I were a pregnant woman, I imagine I would be creeped out by a man I don't know hugging me and patting my pregnant belly. Ask my permission first, dammit! Angry If she wants to sue, I don't blame her.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:02:24 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 12:03:50 PM »

This neighbor should have asked first.   It sounds wonderful to have a society where touch is more accepted. But, this is foreign to me since the touch I got growing up was when I was being physically assaulted.    When men have touched/patted/groped me in public places, I have been quite confrontational to protect my space.  Everybody has different experiences,  so I'm not dismissing others, but given my experiences I don't want anyone touching me except my husband. 

I would be afraid that this neighbor would assume he could get physical with my kid, too, and there would be no way I would sit for that.  Maybe he was innocent, but I would worry about it being a boundary test.   Which a co-worker clued me in on when I was puzzled by some odd behavior from another co-worker.  Basically, some will purposely test your boundary through inappropriate touching to see if you'll do anything to stop it.  So, they can see what they can get away with and if they would be wasting time on you if you do protect your boundaries.

Maybe this pregnant women had a reason to not want strangers  or non-family members to touch her. 
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 12:15:43 PM »

This neighbor should have asked first.   It sounds wonderful to have a society where touch is more accepted. But, this is foreign to me since the touch I got growing up was when I was being physically assaulted.    When men have touched/patted/groped me in public places, I have been quite confrontational to protect my space.  Everybody has different experiences,  so I'm not dismissing others, but given my experiences I don't want anyone touching me except my husband. 

I would be afraid that this neighbor would assume he could get physical with my kid, too, and there would be no way I would sit for that.  Maybe he was innocent, but I would worry about it being a boundary test.   Which a co-worker clued me in on when I was puzzled by some odd behavior from another co-worker.  Basically, some will purposely test your boundary through inappropriate touching to see if you'll do anything to stop it.  So, they can see what they can get away with and if they would be wasting time on you if you do protect your boundaries.

Maybe this pregnant women had a reason to not want strangers  or non-family members to touch her. 
Even worse: According to the news story about this case, the man rubbed his pregnant neighbor's belly even after she told him not to. Rubbing a pregnant woman's belly without asking first may be acceptable to some, unacceptable to others, but rubbing a pregnant woman's belly after she tells you to stop is just plain wrong. Whenever someone tells you to stop doing something that makes her feel uncomfortable, and you continue to do it anyway, that's harassment.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 12:42:22 PM »

I think we live in an era where people are overly sensitive and very easily offended.

So, this image you linked to...

...is not a stranger patting her baby bump, but, a well loved Aunt, with whom the Virgin was very comfortable.

I do not agree with the statement that she would allow anyone to rub her tummy.  In those days women were even more modest than today (if you can imagine that  Roll Eyes ).  There's no way she would have allowed a man to touch her.

As for this case...it IS creepy.  You should never take liberties with others just because it makes you feel good.  Nonsense.

I hug kids.  But, I only hug the kids I know.  I am their teacher and they come running to me when they see me coming...and in return they receive a hug bear hug and perhaps a kiss on the head from me.  The other children standing next to them, who are not my students and to whom I am not "close", I will pat their head or just say "hi".

You have to judge the recipient.  Do they wish to be touched, hugged, kissed?  If you aren't sure, leave them alone....and move on.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:43:31 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »

Thank you Liza. Thats definitely appropriate in my book and sane.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 01:07:31 PM »

I hug kids. But, I only hug the kids I know.  I am their teacher and they come running to me when they see me coming...and in return they receive a hug bear hug and perhaps a kiss on the head from me.  

And don't kiss my kids.

I would be afraid that this neighbor would assume he could get physical with my kid, too, and there would be no way I would sit for that.  Maybe he was innocent, but I would worry about it being a boundary test.

I hope you asked for permission to kiss your students, ma'am!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:08:27 PM by Dpaula » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »

Actually, I did not.  However, these kids know and love me, as much as I know and love them.  I am like an aunt to each one.  They come to me with their fears and their tears and their joys.  When I walk in the room, they actually come running to me, expecting the hug, to be picked up, to be cuddled.  Even the teenagers come up to me waiting for a hug.

As I mentioned, I do not hug or touch kids who are not "close" to me.  So, if Achronos's kids were to come up to me, I would bend down and talk to them and maybe pat their heads.

I normally do not run up to the kids to give them a hug.  My hug comes as a response to those little outstretched hands coming towards me.  I am not the initiator, nor do I feel a "need" to touch them....only to express my love to those whom I know and care for.

Touching a strange belly because there is a child within, would never enter my mind.  The most I would do is be nicer to the pregnant woman, let her go ahead of me, give her my seat, etc.  I would never even ask if I could touch her, because that would just be wrong.

You are lucky you don't live in the "old" country  Smiley  ....where you would get your hand slapped because the woman and her baba would think you were trying to curse the child, take their youth or health for yourself, etc, by touching them.  Normally, the child is protected from all strangers (evil eye....) until it is properly baptized.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:14:48 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »

You are lucky you don't live in the "old" country  Smiley  ....where you would get your hand slapped because the woman and her baba would think you were trying to curse the child, take their youth or health for yourself, etc, by touching them.  Normally, the child is protected from all strangers (evil eye....) until it is properly baptized.

Red ribbon. And it works after baptism too.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 01:24:27 PM »

I can easily understand why a pregnant woman would not want her belly rubbed without her permission. It's an extreme invasion of her privacy and personal space.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:24:43 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: