Author Topic: David Cameron to launch £2,000,000 Islamic Bond  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
David Cameron to launch £2,000,000 Islamic Bond
« on: October 28, 2013, 08:11:46 PM »
The UK's Prime Minister, David Cameron, is reported in today's Daily Telegraph to be launching in a few day's a first at the upcoming World Islamic Economic Forum. The Bond, a first in a non-Islamic country, will attract and encourage investment in the UK.

Truly Londonistan in more ways than one. Hope he remembers to wear his Poppy to the Forum.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Re: David Cameron to launch £2,000,000 Islamic Bond
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
What, he wants to attract investment by Muslim countries in the UK??  Don't they already own a large chunk of it?  And he wants to sell more?!?!?  How's about "Anglistan" instead of "Londonistan"?
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
Few things are better for a stable nation's economy than foreign investment, especially by those who would could be seen as "hostile".

America is a prime example of this. We need more Chinese entanglement in our economy especially in real estate and the like. Currency holding is a more complicated matter, but still a good thing.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »
Outsourcing is good for the global economy!
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »

But not necessarily the local one.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:53:40 PM by J Michael »
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »

This is investment. Not sure what kind, but outside odd derivative packages is likely a good thing for the UK within the horizon of traditional capitalistic thought.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: One, Holy, Ethnic and Disorganized
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 04:08:25 PM »

This is investment. Not sure what kind, but outside odd derivative packages is likely a good thing for the UK within the horizon of traditional capitalistic thought.

Indeed. Combination of Nationalism/Patriotism/Whatever and Capitalism is rather weird. They are antitheticas as money doesn't have a motherland.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »
Islamic Economics bans usury. Good luck.

Indeed. Combination of Nationalism/Patriotism/Whatever and Capitalism is rather weird. They are antitheticas as money doesn't have a motherland.

I quite dislike those things.

Few things are better for a stable nation's economy than foreign investment, especially by those who would could be seen as "hostile".

America is a prime example of this. We need more Chinese entanglement in our economy especially in real estate and the like. Currency holding is a more complicated matter, but still a good thing.

China is doing quite well, as is Russia. I support BRICS. I don't see the American economy going anywhere if all that will come of it are consumerism, debt, and war.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:18:35 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Mrs. Jord

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »
Seems a bit silly to me, but oh well.  What the UK does is its own business.

Here is a BBC link I found about it.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24722440

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »

China is doing quite well, as is Russia. I support BRICS. I don't see the American economy going anywhere if all that will come of it are consumerism, debt, and war.

I assure you, if you think debt is a problem in America, we can't even begin to talk economics.

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 07:01:40 PM »
Sorry, been busy.

I referred to 'Londonistan' because the writer and journalist wrote a book Londonistan, and London is the UK's financial centre.

As to Islamic investment being a good thing, my question would how? Remembering that the very Islamic states that invest in the Western countries also seem involved in (1) funding Wahhabi and Salafi forms of Islam in the West, and (2) also Jihadist groups also get funds from these same countries. At very best this sounds like a two edged sword and does not apparently protect us from attack by these groups.

As for Chinese investment being good for us? I don't share this view. Nor do I view debt as good economics.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 07:46:44 PM »

I assure you, if you think debt is a problem in America, we can't even begin to talk economics.

Lots of countries have lots of debt. But if that's all we can accumulate, then that's a problem. I think we can be more productive than simply accumulating debt.

As for Chinese investment being good for us? I don't share this view. Nor do I view debt as good economics.

We should stop warring with and spying on other nations and start opening up free trade. Then the Economy would be fine.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »
The name is Bond, Islamic Bond.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.