OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 01:14:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global warming is real  (Read 1336 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: October 28, 2013, 12:18:23 PM »

We have now temperatures like 12oC at night and 20oC at day, more like August.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 12:19:37 PM »

At times I think it's real when I feel it and see some statistics. Then, I find statistics to the complete opposite. Whether it is happening or not, however, we should take care of our environment and be cautious of any harm we can continue to cause to it.

I can't speak for Poland.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:20:39 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.” (Chris Hedges)
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 12:51:48 PM »

Our temperatures are below the seasonal average right now and will likely be so for the next couple of weeks. One year they're up; next year they're down. One millennium they're up; next millennium they're down. Are you trying to make a point, or is this just an anecdotal observation?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »

And we're 15- 20 degrees-F below "normal" and almost missed August weather altogether. Go figure.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »

Our temperatures are below the seasonal average right now and will likely be so for the next couple of weeks. One year they're up; next year they're down. One millennium they're up; next millennium they're down. Are you trying to make a point, or is this just an anecdotal observation?

It is an anecdotal obervation. On the other hand I do not remember October like that. Not even close. The weather has been table for 2-3 weeks. It even is getting warmer. Normal temperatures would be at least 10oC lower.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:00:28 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:01:53 PM »

Of course it is. Just like the world wasn't created in seven days, but you have people who just can't let go of what their daddy believed.

So can we make all threads about weather into one giant morass as well?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 01:02:51 PM »

It is an anecdotal obervation. On the other hand I do not remember October like that. Not even close. The weather has been table for 2-3 weeks. It even is getting warmer. Normal temperatures would be at least 10oC lower.

How many Octobers DO you remember? Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 01:09:55 PM »

I remember Octobers with temperature 30 degrees lower.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 01:12:29 PM »

We are going to have to choose C or F here. Michal is there some dated Belarusi or whatever measure we could use instead?

How does Mt. Athos measure temp?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »

I use C.

Compute for yourselves.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 01:19:17 PM »

Saint Celsus ain't an Orthodox saint, so you gotta use the Byzantine temp. I think St. Constantine made one to measure ethe hotness in the first ecumenical council.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
WPM
Archon

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 01:35:30 PM »

it is pretty sunny and warm for October weather in the Tropics is that way year round.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:46:31 PM by WPM » Logged
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »

There has been no global warming in 15 years now. Furthermore, almost ALL of the global warming since 1900 occurred prior to 1940.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:47:36 PM by Fr.Aidan » Logged
orthodox4life

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 01:50:36 PM »

I'm surprised someone didn't say it's Buschs fault

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 01:53:45 PM »

I'm surprised someone didn't say it's Buschs fault

It's not.  It's Bush's fault. Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »

There has been no global warming in 15 years now. Furthermore, almost ALL of the global warming since 1900 occurred prior to 1940.

I truly hope you don't teach that to your parishioners.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 01:56:53 PM »

I think St. Constantine made one to measure ethe hotness in the first ecumenical council.

Considering how many of those guys had scars and mutilations from persecution, I'd say the hotness was pretty low.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

Is my great-grandfather Petr actually Che Guevara?

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 02:00:48 PM »

Saint Celsus ain't an Orthodox saint, so you gotta use the Byzantine temp. I think St. Constantine made one to measure ethe hotness in the first ecumenical council.

I don't know what Celsus you're referring to but just yesterday, we commemorated the martyr St. Celsius of Milan.

Celsius seems pretty Orthodox to me.

Quote from: Emperor John VI Kantakouzenos
There is nothing more conductive to the destruction of a nation, whether it be republic or monarchy, than the lack of men of wisdom or intellect.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 02:11:35 PM »

I hope you all know that we are still in an Ice Age. We are in a middle period when temps have moderated and the ice sheets have shrunk but still exist. The question is if man made gasses and pollution have disturbed the cycle either one way or another. Have we effected the ocean  currents for example? Are the existing ice sheets melting faster?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »

Temperatures here in Texas and in most of the United States have been unseasonably cold this autumn and winter.

The amount of ice in the Arctic has rapidly increased from last year.

There is no scientific evidence that mankind-produced gases or substances have any correlation to global warming or cooling whatever.

I am not a scientist, and even if I were, it would not be appropriate for me to "teach" parishioners scientific subjects. Why would I wish to, when I have no responsibility to do so?
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »

I hope you all know that we are still in an Ice Age. We are in a middle period when temps have moderated and the ice sheets have shrunk but still exist. The question is if man made gasses and pollution have disturbed the cycle either one way or another. Have we effected the ocean  currents for example? Are the existing ice sheets melting faster?

Regarding this being an ice age, today I am very inclined to believe you.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »

Of course it is. Just like the world wasn't created in seven days,

Creation was six days.  God rested on the seventh. Wink

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 03:59:05 PM »

We have experienced thus far a record cold for December here in Texas.  We already even had an ice storm, that is very rare. Huh

But that sounds super warm for Poland!

Global warming may be real, but there is an issue if man is causing it, or if its just natural.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 03:59:55 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »

We have a PhD Atmospheric Scientist in our Parish... I will bring up the subject and see what she thinks.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »

We have experienced thus far a record cold for December here in Texas.  We already even had an ice storm, that is very rare. Huh

But that sounds super warm for Poland!

Global warming may be real, but there is an issue if man is causing it, or if its just natural.

Not only that. Man causing it or man contributing to it are also issues. They are not the same. Global Warming may be natural, but man might be contributing to it's impact.

But at the moment, I am not too sure whether it is happening. I've seen both sides.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 05:40:23 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.” (Chris Hedges)
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »

I guess if you are experiencing the full blast of a Polar Vortex now, theories about climate change may have taken a different perspective presently.

Still those who know it all will soon try to put me straight. Still be blooming cold out there in affected parts, though. Roll Eyes
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 09:47:33 PM »

I guess if you are experiencing the full blast of a Polar Vortex now, theories about climate change may have taken a different perspective presently.

Still those who know it all will soon try to put me straight. Still be blooming cold out there in affected parts, though. Roll Eyes
To make sure I get my exercise everyday, I have a paper route and deliver in the wee hours of the morning - usually between 2 and 4 am (and go back to bed for a few hours afterwards). I can assure you that tomorrow morning with a wind chill of well into the -30s that it'll be "blooming cold...in (certain) affected parts" Grin. Of course, I'm hoping for some sort of minor miracle that will prevent the paper from being published. It's odd that the same paper that tells everyone to stay indoors expects its carriers to roam around the streets to deliver that advice.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 10:02:35 PM »

In this global freezing weather, having a daily paper route might get you royally cold.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »

Sunny California may still be sunny, but it is darn cold at night (about 10 to 20 degrees below average).  Brrrrr.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 11:22:02 PM »

According to climatologists, specific temperatures as well as weather pheonomena, are not accurate indicators of climate change/global warming. For example, here the temperature was -12 F. That's not earth-shattering, but quite below normal. In Antarctica where it's summer now (and that Russian ship was/is stuck in ice), the temperature was -13 F. In the past, there have been wide swings of unusual temperature readings. But climate change is figured on broader trends.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 11:24:10 PM »

We are going to have to choose C or F here. Michal is there some dated Belarusi or whatever measure we could use instead?

How does Mt. Athos measure temp?

From priests' journals in the 19th century, Russians seemed to use Reamur.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 11:26:57 PM »

No. Contrary to popular belief, the First Nicene Council was not convened to develop a scale to measure the hotness of females. That scale already existed, being invented by Julius Caesar. The council just set certain norms and standards, like the Patriarch of Alexandria making the first judgment and such. The controversy continued, however. The Celts, the pope, and the moderndox took exception.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 11:52:08 PM »

Increased solar activity (we are in a solar maximum right now) is what is really heating up the earth, and heating the core may cause an ice age.

http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10145&p=60338#p60327

Look at the red polar regions ... that is photons hitting us from the sun.
Just a little heat?

In the most recent post, you will see a result of the M1 flare that we just had moments ago along with the proton stream that is still hitting the earth.

http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10145&p=60338#p60338

And here is the M1 flare with another one just starting:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_1m.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:54:19 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 01:08:29 AM »

41 F

Warmest "Winter" I've ever remembered. We had like 3 days with snow.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:21:50 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 01:46:19 AM »

-7 F: Coldest since 1992 and that -22 F was a hundred year record.

So much for "global"...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 02:02:14 AM »

-7.7 F with a wind chill of -27 F. It is miserable here in the Midwest.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 03:01:18 AM »

Here is the source of global warming:

Watch this short silent video.

http://www.spaceweather.com/images2014/07jan14/ar1944_anim.gif?PHPSESSID=hlboo84c7dpdvgi1ncvpvgcdq1

We could be hit with a big X-flare as this sunspot 1944 is gigantic, unstable, and growing in size daily.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:02:03 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »

The trends do not correlate.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:59:02 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2014, 12:01:25 PM »

In this global freezing weather, having a daily paper route might get you royally cold.
This morning I could have declared myself king as no one else was out there to stop me!
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »

This morning I could have declared myself king as no one else was out there to stop me!
I did declare myself king this morning.  At least, until my wife yelled at me to go to work.

Yes Ma'am.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 12:36:09 PM »

I did declare myself king this morning.  At least, until my wife yelled at me to go to work.

Yes Ma'am.

Ah ha!  You're in charge...because she said so.  Grin

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 01:30:17 PM »

Yes Ma'am.
I hope you were dressed.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »

The trends do not correlate.

Oh, they do correlate.

You are not showing the Photon bombardment due to Magnetic Flux from CMEs, which have increased recently due to our shield being gradually weakened, as you have only provided a generalized plot of the M-and X-class flares.

However, if you had looked at the cycles, you would have seen a huge X-flare (act of God), in that last solar cycle shown that does substantially warm the earth. It is not just the huge X-flare, but the resultant CME and Magnetic Flux bombardment that also substantially warm the core of the earth. In fact, as the solar activity has increased (the second sets of plots), the earth's core has been warming (the first sets of plots) incrementally.

That the earth's core has been substantially heated is shown in increased volcanic activity not only in the Pacific Ocean and Indian Oceans with new islands being formed, but also with increased volcanic activity at Yellowstone where that massive dome is likely to explode at any time and has geologists extremely worried. If Yellowstone were to blow, then scientists predict that we might enter an severe cold spell due to all the ash expelled into the atmosphere causing clouds of darkness that prevent the sun from warming our earth.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 02:25:28 PM »

Do you have any data to support that assertion?

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »

Do you have any data to support that assertion?

That is my own extensive research and that of other astrophysicists. If you do not take the time to do your own research, you will not learn anything. Global warming is a myth, but if you do not educate yourself, then you will fall for the lie.

Look at the plots, they will tell you a lot of information.

And here is another plot that is current: a static plot that I just downloaded.
If we were not having the CME, photon bombardment, and X-1 class flare, then our earth would show a slightly purple glow at the point where the sun shines on earth, and the rest of the world including Artarctica and Arctic would be displayed in black. The red, yellow, and green zones show intense radiation.

http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10145&p=60349#p60349

I cannot upload static plots here, so I must upload plots at E Cafe and then share them here.

Here are two more dynamic plots, that show the X-flare in progress.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_1m.html - Class X1 flare.
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/drap/global.html - global photon flux

Read the information at www.spaceweather.com as they continually update their site.
This site is run by Dr. Tony Phillips, so it is not a fly-by night operation.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:57:08 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: