OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:23:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dualism  (Read 344 times) Average Rating: 0
alexpetros

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Go sábhála Dia Éire.

« on: October 26, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »

My girlfriend and I have decided to have a Lost marathon which reminded me of the prevalent theme of black versus white, or light versus dark, theme throughout the series. That made me wonder, of all heresies, why is dualism the most prevalent in human thought? Why do we, as humans, dwell on the battle of good and evil as if the two are of equal power and might, in constant balance (yin and yang)?
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 11:21:40 PM »

I don't. I see evil as being more powerful and prevalent than goodness. Look at it this way; being good takes years of hard work and effort, you have to go through a whole process to stop being bad. Yet, in a split second, evilness can ruin all of the good you've accumulated and it's extremely easy to do. All goodness offers people is vain hopes for a future that may or may not be true. This is probably my biggest doubt to my Orthodoxy; remembering that the battle is won and that good will prevail in the future when the present seems so twisted and evilness seems to prosper.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:22:20 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:56:43 AM »

I don't. I see evil as being more powerful and prevalent than goodness. Look at it this way; being good takes years of hard work and effort, you have to go through a whole process to stop being bad. Yet, in a split second, evilness can ruin all of the good you've accumulated and it's extremely easy to do. All goodness offers people is vain hopes for a future that may or may not be true. This is probably my biggest doubt to my Orthodoxy; remembering that the battle is won and that good will prevail in the future when the present seems so twisted and evilness seems to prosper.

You haven't lived long enough. Your doubts about Orthodoxy are the fruit of immature youth. I am not patronizing you, but I speak as someone who's more than three times your age.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:57:15 AM by LBK » Logged
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 07:01:58 AM »

Our awareness of evil in various forms is fed by a news media and gossip that finds its various manifestations play to the audience, our fears and sadly too often our unhealthy interest in 'bad' news.

On the other hand so much acts of kindness, charity and people taking risks to help others goes under reported or talked about. Genuine acts of kindness or charity are very often intentionally private and therefore remain unknown save to those immediately involved. James, take heart as you may be feeding your own pessimism rather than trusting in God's mercy. Evil is never stronger than the Creator of all. It only may appear so in our limited, very limited, understanding.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 07:42:53 AM »

Dualism is basically a weapon that evil uses against us and, of course, in its vanity evil wants to believe that it is the opposite of good (not the lack of it), that satan is the opposite of God, not a finite being.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:43:25 AM by IoanC » Logged

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »

My girlfriend and I have decided to have a Lost marathon which reminded me of the prevalent theme of black versus white, or light versus dark, theme throughout the series. That made me wonder, of all heresies, why is dualism the most prevalent in human thought? Why do we, as humans, dwell on the battle of good and evil as if the two are of equal power and might, in constant balance (yin and yang)?
Maybe because at times the battle is very difficult.  Sometimes we have to put in a lot of sweat and effort when fighting it.  In that case, evil might see just as strong as good, but that is where patience comes in.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »

Suspense and cliff hangers.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: