OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 04:46:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Force me or anyone else who volunteers to listen to X  (Read 855 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« on: October 25, 2013, 07:03:26 PM »

In the oc.net official song thread, vamrat perked my interest with his post about David Bowie:

All the Madmen - David Bowie.

Cuase I'd rather stay here with all the madmen than perish with the sad men roaming free.
And I'd rather play here with all the madmen for I'm quite content they're all as sane as me.

You should break out a thread where people talk Bowie. I am redoing my listening library and my Bowie is spotty. I really like some stuff, really not other stuff. And I don't know much about white people music in general.

Bowie is probably my favorite musician, but yeah, he can be pretty spotty.  I really like the 2-4 albums - Man Who Sold the World, Hunky Dory, and Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars.  There are a few good ones from the Berlin Trilogy but I don't think he has an album greater than Ziggy.  Could have named it The Rise and Fall of David Bowie, not that I think he really fell, it was just hard to top that album.

Been putting back together a collection of audio after some non listening to music and losing a lot my stuff and figure I would like to expand my horizons and know better the tastes of everyone who posts here.

Sure we have a "what are you listening to" thread, but what would you recommend to everyone, or if you could, force someone to listen to?

The piece of music, song, audiobook, whatever, you wish everyone, or if you wish to narrowcast, me, you wish would hear at least once?

As long as you promise not be merely punitive, I promise to make every effort to listen to at least one of your suggestions. Feel free to suggest thousands of things, but at least highlight one.

Vamrat, I won't hold you to Bowie, but let me know what you think I should start with there.

It would be awesome if the nonusual suspect, everyone but Achronos, posted in this thread.

Thanks and let the listening begin!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:26:21 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 07:04:24 PM »

Achronos, I wasn't excluding you. Just hoping to embiggen the pool.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »

Hmm, that's a tough one, but if there's one band I try to get everyone to listen to, it's the Legendary Pink Dots. It's really impossible to pick a single representative song, but here goes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:22:13 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 07:22:18 PM »

I'm not going to post anything music related...yet. If you knew what I was listening on my MP3 player right now, I'd mimic a 10 year old girl say back in 1999.

If we could avoid the excesses of death metal that most people post about, please do.

Expand your horizons people.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 07:24:59 PM »

Also orthonorm, there's someone I need you to read. I'm not posting it on this site, but if people thought you were cryptic they have no idea about a music critic I have in mind.

It's really crazy stuff.

To give perspective, he was into hip-hop before any other white person was and loved it. Although he was more of a rock critic before that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:27:03 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 07:27:20 PM »

Also orthonorm, there's someone I need you to read. I'm not posting it on this site, but if people thought you were cryptic they have no idea about a music critic I have in mind.

It's really crazy stuff.

Dude, was it you that post that review of Star Wars? It was incredible.

Could you send it to me via whatever. Thanks

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »

It's really crazy stuff.

Dude, was it you that post that review of Star Wars? It was incredible.

Could you send it to me via whatever. Thanks
If you are thinking of the Pinkett review of the prequel trilogy I am not entirely sure.

I tried watching the 70s-80s trilogy a few nights ago, small clips and I found it to be unbearable. It hasn't aged well.

But sorry no more. I'd like for this topic to be on topic, it's an interesting one.

Now let's hope people make it interesting.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:30:53 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:34:10 PM »

Also, and I want to plead with people here, please please please listen to music for pleasure. Not for art pretentiousness sake.

Please don't balk at the Backstreet Boys because they are labelled as a boy band and carry negative connotations. Or dismiss "Genie In A Bottle" by Christina Aguilera because it is pop fluff (its brilliance in the fact it has about a zillion different meanings).

If you enjoy something, enjoy it. Don't hate on something because you are supposed to.

You have no idea how many doors start opening in your mind to new things.

I for one couldn't imagine life only listening to one genre of music. How incredibly dull and boring.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 07:40:18 PM »

The Ramones self titled and Rocket to Russia.

Dead Boys: Young Loud and Snotty (though I'd recommend the remixed version Younger Louder and Snottier ).

The Stooges Raw Power.

Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation.

The Pixies Come on Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa.

Buddy Holly. Pretty much can't do any wrong by choosing anything by him.

Johnny Cash- ditto what I said about Buddy Holly.

The Beatles Rubber Soul and Revolver.

That's just for educational purposes in "white people" music. If I had to force any non-orthonorm person I'd throw in:

Run DMC- Raising Hell.

Aesop Rock- Daylight E.P. and Bazooka Tooth.

Mr. Lif Live From the Plantation.

Outkast- Everything from ATLiens to Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, with special attention to Aequemini.

Goodie Mobb- Soul Food and Still Standing. Gnarls Barkley's two albums and Cee-lo's The Lady Killer

The Pharcyde, pretty much everything.

Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star

The Four Tops. Any best of collection should have the important songs.

As a good bridge between "white people" and "black people" music- Dangermouse's Gray Album. The Beatles' White Album is not my favorite of their discography and I've never been the biggest fan of Jay-Z, but this album is a masterpiece.

All of this post is only Music 101. Future coursework gets a bit more complicated and requires a refined taste that delves into hardcore punk, psychobilly, obscure 60's bands, even more obscure 70's bands, the 90's swing revival, Dixieland jazz, and Britpop.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 07:42:08 PM »

Dead Boys: Young Loud and Snotty (though I'd recommend the remixed version Younger Louder and Snottier ).

The Stooges Raw Power.

That's just for educational purposes in "white people" music. If I had to force any non-orthonorm person I'd throw in:

Run DMC- Raising Hell.

Outkast- Everything from ATLiens to Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, with special attention to Aequemini.

Goodie Mobb- Soul Food and Still Standing. Gnarls Barkley's two albums and Cee-lo's The Lady Killer

As a good bridge between "white people" and "black people" music- Dangermouse's Gray Album. The Beatles' White Album is not my favorite of their discography and I've never been the biggest fan of Jay-Z, but this album is a masterpiece.

All of this post is only Music 101. Future coursework gets a bit more complicated and requires a refined taste that delves into hardcore punk, psychobilly, obscure 60's bands, even more obscure 70's bands, the 90's swing revival, Dixieland jazz, and Britpop.

Hey!

What do I have to listen to? Pick one thing.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 07:42:56 PM »

^ Ownz

Dude Raw Power 1997 mix by Iggy Pop > regular edition. I have to set the record straight.

LMBO@your suggestion on blending black and white with the Grey Album. Nice!

FR I had no idea you were into music this much.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »

^ Ownz

Dude Raw Power 1997 mix by Iggy Pop > regular edition. I have to set the record straight.

This ain't a music criticism thread!

It is a safe place!

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »

FR what is your take on Elvis? I mean yeah he is schlock, but really good schlock.

Frankly I love the "Little Less Conversation (JXL Remix)" is prob my favorite...then "Burning Love" behind it.

Here comes GabrieltheCelt...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:45:41 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »

FR what is your take on Elvis? I mean yeah he is schlock, but really good schlock.

Frankly I love the "Little Less Conversation (JXL Remix)" is prob my favorite...then "Burning Love" behind it.

Here comes GabrieltheCelt...

Love Elvis. Sure he's basically the anti-christ of the singer/songwriter snob, but there's no denying he had a great voice and knew how to perform live.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »

Hey!

You couldn't go wrong by printing the list out, placing each entry onto a dartboard, and throwing at it.

If I had to distill the list down to one entry, I'd go with the Ramones self-titled. The opening of Blitzkrieg Bop basically distills the entire proceeding two decades of Rock'n Roll to it's most essential elements.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 07:55:42 PM »

ITT: We get ialmisry to listen to Public Enemy...and admitting to liking it.

And watch he likes Yeezus.

Wonder what Peter listens to. I take him as a jazz man, maybe Kind Of Blue-era Miles, but not On The Corner or *****es' Brew. I'm sure he has a bit classical in there as well. I mean yeah he listen to Enya, but I wonder what else.

Gebre, besides Bob, who else you got? Habte and I agree on Culture being a great group. And bro if you need to hook you up with my excellent Tougher Than Tough: The Story Of Jamaican Music boxset, let me know.

Who else on here. Arachne do you listen to anything else besides the sludge and dirge of metal? There's gotta be a little Take That somewhere in you.

Liza do you listen to any pop music? Can I recommend Hanson's MMMBop? I think you will enjoy it.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »

^ Ownz

I spent my late teens and 20s trying to get various bands off the ground, mainly punk, with more of a mid Nevermind grunge sound in the late 90s, and a few detours into hip-hop. Before I became Orthodox, music was my life.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »

I spent my late teens and 20s trying to get various bands off the ground, mainly punk, with more of a mid Nevermind grunge sound in the late 90s, and a few detours into hip-hop. Before I became Orthodox, music was my life.
Sounds good man. I haven't heard any grunge these days on the radio from new bands, I think rock music is pretty much dead. Indie has really taken over, really hipsterism is taking over the airwaves.

I love pretty much everything Nirvana did.

Funniest mashup, look up "Smells Like Booty".

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 09:03:53 PM »

Sounds good man. I haven't heard any grunge these days on the radio from new bands, I think rock music is pretty much dead. Indie has really taken over, really hipsterism is taking over the airwaves.

I love pretty much everything Nirvana did.

Funniest mashup, look up "Smells Like Booty".

Heh. About 2003 that song was on constant loop.

The state of rock is pretty much abysmal if one goes by the radio- but then that's always been the case. It doesn't help any that the internet allows people to completely close themselves off to listening to pretty much only what jives with their own tastes. Pop music as social conversation is pretty much dead by this point.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 10:35:18 PM »

I hope this thread gets bigger tomorrow, I know ya'll don't play AFR on a continuous loop all day. Where's Maximum Bob to say his favorite Grateful Dead album is Live/Dead??

orthonorm,

Not knowing what you've heard already but taking you seriously and therefore after much thought...and having considered...

B.B.King - "The Thrill Is Gone"
Fountains of Wayne - "All Kinds of Time"
Dan Bern - "God Said No"
LL Cool J - "Mama Said Knock You Out"
The Beatles - "I Am The Walrus"
Youssou N'Dour - "Birima"
Iris DeMent - "My Life",
Richard Thompson - "Read About Love"
Julieta Venegas - "Algun Dia"
Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - "Ooo Baby Baby"
The Clash - "Death and Glory"

I decide to highlight: Billie Holiday - "Strange Fruit"

Honorable mention: John Waite - "I Ain't Missing You"
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:41:22 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »

How I would imagine orthonorm's playlist to look like if I was to guess his taste...

Mamie Smith and Her Jazz Hounds - "Crazy Blues"
Geechie Wiley - "Last Kind Word Blues"
Geto Boys - "Mind Playing Tricks on Me"
Sex Pistols - "Holidays in the Sun"
 Louis Armstrong - "West End Blues"
Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter"
Led Zeppelin - "When the Levee Breaks"
Robert Johnson - "Me and the Devil Blues"
The Clash - "Complete Control"
Black Sabbath - "Electric Funeral"
Public Enemy - "Welcome to the Terrordome"

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »

Greatest song about having an erection:

Next - "Too Close"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwEZRPkAAu8

EDIT: Sigh, I miss the 90s.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 06:56:48 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »

I'm the only person who followed the rule and recommended one thing.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 09:05:12 PM »

No.

Feel free to suggest thousands of things, but at least highlight one.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 09:09:36 PM »

No.

Feel free to suggest thousands of things, but at least highlight one.

Ah, ok.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »

Ah, ok.
So get to posting those suggestions. I'll listen too. I really want this thread to get massive from folks around here.

Gebre, your days of smoking the ganj listening to Off The Wall are over...but curious what stuff you got. How old were you when MJ did his Motown 25 stint?

I'm actually quite a big fan of him. I was just listening to Invincible a few hours ago, and really this whole week. His ballads are too mawkish, but I really enjoy "You Rock My World"...it is a fantastic throwback to OTW-era Mike.

First three tracks are great, love "Unbreakable" but not sure of the Notorious BIG cameo.

I dunno Gebre, you seem to be the type to listen to a lot of music as well. Really curious to see what you can offer up here.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:17:32 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 09:21:19 PM »

If everybody recommends a zillion songs, none of them will be heard and this thread will be less interesting, IMO. So I'm sticking with my one thing.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 09:26:41 PM »

If everybody recommends a zillion songs, none of them will be heard and this thread will be less interesting, IMO. So I'm sticking with my one thing.
Highlights are fine, and I tried to limit the amount of stuff I posted.

I'm not going to post anything else, but I am trying to encourage folks to post a bit.

Maybe instead of just music, someone can throw up a single podcast?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »

I sorta hoped more folks would post before it become achronosfest, but what are you going to do . . .

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »

I know Cash was already mentioned, but I never pass up Sunday Morning Coming Down no matter what mood I'm in.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 03:40:35 AM »

Ah, ok.
So get to posting those suggestions. I'll listen too. I really want this thread to get massive from folks around here.

Gebre, your days of smoking the ganj listening to Off The Wall are over...but curious what stuff you got. How old were you when MJ did his Motown 25 stint?

I'm actually quite a big fan of him. I was just listening to Invincible a few hours ago, and really this whole week. His ballads are too mawkish, but I really enjoy "You Rock My World"...it is a fantastic throwback to OTW-era Mike.

First three tracks are great, love "Unbreakable" but not sure of the Notorious BIG cameo.

I dunno Gebre, you seem to be the type to listen to a lot of music as well. Really curious to see what you can offer up here.

Since you asked...  Wink

Music is such a subjective taste. But I consider myself pretty open to most forms of music. I think the only genres of music that I just can't stomach are "death metal," "contemporary Christian," and most of the "hip hop" that is produced today.

One of the most intense face to face debates I ever had was an argument about Bob Dylan and Ice Cube. I made the argument that Ice Cube is a better poet and a better musician than Bob Dylan. This dude that I had just met (we later became good friends) stood up and literally came after me. He couldn't believe what I was saying. But I stand by that argument to this day. Some of the "rap" music that was made in the 80's and 90's was simply brilliant. I don't see anything close to that today. (But that's another subject unto itself.)

Obviously, I am a huge fan of conscious reggae music. I love roots and conscious dancehall (as opposed to crap like Shaggy and Sean Paul.) My love for Bob Marley goes without saying. I love reggae because it can't be faked. To play reggae you need to have the skill and the heart. Conscious reggae music probably saved my life, and it was divinely used to bring me to the Orthodox Faith.

But other than reggae, the music of Santana has influenced and inspired me more than anything else. Again, like reggae, Carlos Santana and the musicians with which he surrounds himself possess both exceptional skill and true heart. Santana’s music is infused with a positive spiritual energy that lifts me up whenever I’m down. Santana created an original sound that fused the essence of Blues, Afro-Cuban, Rock, Reggae, and Jazz into something the world had never heard before. And everything Santana did in the studio or live was always so incredibly tight. Talk about serious percussions! Most people today associate Carlos Santana with his Supernatural album and subsequent recordings. There is definitely some good stuff there, but nothing like the prolific and sublime work he produced during the four decades prior. So I will probably list many Santana songs here to begin with. It’s hard for me to limit myself when it comes to Santana.

Before I proceed to my initial list of songs, I must mention the other most influential band in my life besides Bob Marley and Carlos Santana. That would be U2. I’ll never forget hearing The Edge’s ringing guitar sound on Atlanta’s alternative radio station late one night in 1980. The song was “I Will Follow.” That sound reached out a grabbed me, and I was so glad when the DJ gave the name of the song and the band. I spent a month going all over Atlanta trying to find a U2 tape. I just wanted it for that one song, which I thought would probably be the only song I liked off the entire tape. But my best friend and I wore that tape out! We told everyone that U2 was going to be big one day. Of course, we were laughed at and mocked because nobody at our school had ever heard of them. And U2 did become big - sadly, bigger than I had imagined. Too big in fact. But their first four albums are timeless. Talk about authentic Christian music! And very underrated musicians. But they lost me completely after “The Joshua Tree.”

OK, for the sake of this discussion, I will list a favorite song or two from a variety of genres. I’ll surely add much more later, with a few favorite songs by Zeppelin, Rush, and YES later on (three bands that provided the soundtrack for my high school years.) And as I said, I'll start with a large dose of Santana.

SANTANA: (A genre unto itself)

“Why Can’t We Live Together” (A Sade cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWvV5w_GfDQ

“Victory Is Won”
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYJqoUdh5_Y&feature=related

“Guru’s Song”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-tA17CDrTY

“Incident At Neshubar”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=japTDxReyqU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PYT8i5zNU4

“One With You”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cm2NhD0bwI&feature=player_embedded

“Aranjuez”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBLckMtQr40&feature=player_embedded#

“Song of the Wind”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj0zGxDxXVM&feature=player_embedded

“Aquamarine”
http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=bfh3p0qcSLs

“Tales of Kilimanjaro”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mANSWtF4Mxk&feature=player_embedded

“Brightest Star”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d0c-3eXHDY&feature=player_embedded

“Make Somebody Happy”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyxFaTLHs6Q&feature=player_embedded

“Bella”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJouVEzr0k&feature=related

“Blues For Salvador”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIyp3-ZCWSU&feature=player_embedded

“Praise”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fcx_JAGghQ

THE ISLEY BROTHERS
“Voyage To Atlantis” (One of the baddest guitar grooves ever! Can’t believe this hasn’t been sampled by more hip hop artists.)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh6lGI1bOkw&feature=related

EARTH, WIND AND FIRE (I love them! Funky and inspirational! Great band!)
“September”
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iknEJf9cPeY

ALAN STIVELL (Ahh… the story of how I was turned onto Alan Stivell. Atop a mountain overlooking Mexico City with good Mexican friends and an abundance of herbal and fungal substances. Good times.)
“Tri Martolod”
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRpNVMjnDmY

THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS (I actually like their top 40 songs better than their other stuff. But great musicians who can play anything they want.)
“Snow (Hey Oh)”
http://singingfool.com/Title.aspx?publishedid=19767

“Soul To Squeeze”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XcN12uVHeQ

“My Friends”
http://www.mtvmusic.com/red_hot_chili_peppers/videos/306563/my_friends.jhtml

“Under the Bridge”
http://www.mtvmusic.com/red_hot_chili_peppers/videos/26871/under_the_bridge.jhtml

U2
“40”
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOOqvT64mNU

PETE TOWNSHEND
“Let My Love Open the Door”
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXgB0Z1nRhA&feature=related

SADE (So much to love about Sade. Talk about groove! So subtle but so tight. And what I love about her is that she has a truly original voice. She might not have the vocal range that others have, but her voice is uniquely hers.)  
“Sweetest Taboo”
http://new.music.yahoo.com/sade/videos/view/sweetest-taboo--2146802

FLEETWOOD MAC (One of my favorite bands. I love every song they ever made.)
“Everywhere”
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=6073637
(Real cheesy video, but a great song.)

STANLEY CLARKE (Bassist extraordinaire.)
“Justice’s Groove”
www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=J2f_GRv6BDM

CROSBY, STILLS AND NASH (I love them, just love them! I could have been a hippie, but I wouldn’t have survived.)
“Wooden Ships”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQAWqT_R5NI

NEIL YOUNG (I love Neil Young’s profound simplicity. Saw him in concert twice. Wonderful!)
“Look Out For My Love”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYuIc_4NXJ0

“Southern Man”
www.sugarjar.com/media/106790

“Old Man”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVC2cszdTao

TRISHA YEARWOOD
“Wrong Side of Memphis” (A rare gem from the contemporary country genre.)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB_YLUxwzUg

Johnny Cash (All things Johnny Cash are worthy, but this is one of my favorites.)
“Tennessee Stud”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaL6nViAySk

MGMT
“Electric Feel” (As far as today’s current pop music goes, this is a great song.)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUzL1rfzJD8

Ice Cube
"Today Was A Good Day" (One of the best songs and best videos ever. A succinct and brilliant articulation of a worldview – regardless of what one thinks of that worldview. Books could be written about the philosophical and social complexities, confusions, absurdities, and truths contained in this song. Groove courtesy of the Isley Brothers. WARNING: Profane language and sexually explicit material.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViK8PwbJmxo

OK. More artists and songs to come later on, if you want. Ask me a question about music and I'll bore you to death with my pontifications. But I guess that's pretty much how I am with everything else too. Smiley

Selam

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:03:43 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »

Alright, so this has become yet another, "What kind of music do you like?" thread. Thanks Achronos.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 01:31:12 PM »

Alright, so this has become yet another, "What kind of music do you like?" thread. Thanks Achronos.
Well my lists reflect songs someone should be forced to listen to before they die. I put up my highlight.

Gebre, can you choose one specifically to highlight there?

And really you think people are going to post music they don't like?

Some of us are a little more enthusiastic on this..
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:31:32 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 01:33:59 PM »

Hard mode:

Bellini - Casta Diva.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »

I don't what kind of music I like anymore. I've suprised myself with some artists of which I'd never had thought that I start to like that kind of music.

Anyway, the first artist that popped my mind when I read the OP was Virgin Black. It's somewhat of a unique combination of Death/Doom/Gothic Metal and Classical Music. That might sound extremely boring if you're not into Metal but I'd suggest trying it anyway.

Virgin Black - Velvet Tongue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D5k1qUOYA0

Adela
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 02:44:05 PM »

Maybe some Sonic Youth
Sonic Youth - Sugar Kane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIIEbrMXs20
Sonic Youth - Wish Fulfillment
Sonic Youth - Winner's Blues

Definately some Janis Joplin.....
Janis Joplin - Kozmic Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLN72sR9w0M
Janis Joplin - I Need A Man To Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NRzxu_Hak8

And then some Junip.....
Junip - Always
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYB0iEiOuzs
Junip- Sweet & Bitter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9q6zGMOsMo

Kris Kristofferson - Sunday Morning Coming Down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se2Cg3ArHJ8

Bruce, of course......
 Bruce Springsteen - Youngstown ( -- I can't listen to this one without crying. )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVak9xuXyqc
Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMB3M43AEpc
Bruce Springsteen - Candy's Room
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu8h7WJfIxw

and some Shawn Mullins
Shawn Mullins - Salt Lake City 1973
Shawn Mullins - This Time / Last Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyZNEHy-Wz0
Shawn Mullins - Anchored in You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6etVhpw2A
Shawn Mullins - September in Seattle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKjW0Bgz0M0
Shawn Mullins - Twin Rocks, Oregon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkKbzabzpsE
Shawn Mullins- The Dream

And Bernard Fanning....(I guess I like guys with acoustic guitars......)
Bernard Fanning - Wish You Well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYlyghmTSIU
Bernard Fanning - PowderFinger - Surviving....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hksl419g_I

That's probably more than enough......

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:18:03 PM by Adela » Logged
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »

The Stooges Raw Power.

Run DMC- Raising Hell.

Hey!

Oh, and for non-orthonorm people/people who don't normally listen to rap I'd highlight Dangermouse's Gray Album. This is not your standard "mash-up" where someone just takes the backing music from one song and mixes it with the vocals from another as in this example. Rather, the Gray Album is a rather fine example of a master DJ taking the original backing music and mixing it in such a way that it the finished version- while still recognizable- is a completely different entity, finely tuned to fit the new genre to which it has been appropriated. An example (with warnings for lyrical content) here.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »

Oh, and for non-orthonorm people/people who don't normally listen to rap I'd highlight Dangermouse's Gray Album. This is not your standard "mash-up" where someone just takes the backing music from one song and mixes it with the vocals from another as in this example. Rather, the Gray Album is a rather fine example of a master DJ taking the original backing music and mixing it in such a way that it the finished version- while still recognizable- is a completely different entity, finely tuned to fit the new genre to which it has been appropriated. An example (with warnings for lyrical content) here.
Ever heard of Girl Talk? Go download "All Day" right now. "Best Bootlegs Ever" is also brilliant stuff.

EDIT: For mods, the GT album is actually a free download.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:53:48 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »

Ever heard of Girl Talk? Go download "All Day" right now. "Best Bootlegs Ever" is also brilliant stuff.

EDIT: For mods, the GT album is actually a free download.

It's been years since I listened to Girl Talk. Both he and Dangermouse are great examples using the sample roots of rap music to a state not heard since Run DMC sampled "Walk This Way" (or, y'know any Beastie Boys album).

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: