OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 07:30:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost in translation...  (Read 179 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: October 09, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »

I think it's not been posted yet.

Actually these hymns are not in Slavic, but in Dutch using Eastern Slavic melodies (unfortunately). There are: usual Divine Liturgy, Vesperal Liturgy of Maundy Thursday, Great Vespers of Good Friday and Paschal midnight service plus some other hymns for various occassions

http://www.byzantijnsekapel.be/MP3.htm

Somethings is lost in translation, I think...what is "unfortunate" - the language or the melodies? Thanks.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:03:07 PM »

Actually these hymns are not in Slavic, but in Dutch using Eastern Slavic melodies (unfortunately). There are: usual Divine Liturgy, Vesperal Liturgy of Maundy Thursday, Great Vespers of Good Friday and Paschal midnight service plus some other hymns for various occassions

Somethings is lost in translation, I think...what is "unfortunate" - the language or the melodies? Thanks.

Melodies of course Wink Sorry for this misunderstood. I think Byzantine chant is suitable for (and beautiful in) every language. I've heard byzantine chant in lots of languages and it's always great. And I can't say the same thing for Russian (synodal) chant that's used in the link.
As for the language, it's great that they use Dutch because of missionary work.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »

Melodies of course Wink Sorry for this misunderstood. I think Byzantine chant is suitable for (and beautiful in) every language. I've heard byzantine chant in lots of languages and it's always great. And I can't say the same thing for Russian (synodal) chant that's used in the link.

Gullible Hellenophilia scares me as much as Russophilia and is samely inexplicable.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »

Gullible Hellenophilia scares me as much as Russophilia and is samely inexplicable.

I don't suffer from Hellenophilia at all, really Wink (if you had said something about Serbo- or Arabo-philia regarding me, proably I would have to agree with you, although I think there is no "more Orthodox" nation or something like that).
I do appreciate some Russian and other Rusyns melodies and habits, but generally speaking, I prefer Southeren ones - they are much closer to Byzantium (so they're older, more traditional), but have local "colorous". For me it's easier to focus on prayer, the depth of the hymn and so on while it's being chanted in byzantine way. But it's a long story and an off-topic Wink

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: