Author Topic: Lost in translation...  (Read 261 times)

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
Lost in translation...
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »
I think it's not been posted yet.

Actually these hymns are not in Slavic, but in Dutch using Eastern Slavic melodies (unfortunately). There are: usual Divine Liturgy, Vesperal Liturgy of Maundy Thursday, Great Vespers of Good Friday and Paschal midnight service plus some other hymns for various occassions

http://www.byzantijnsekapel.be/MP3.htm

Somethings is lost in translation, I think...what is "unfortunate" - the language or the melodies? Thanks.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
Lost in translation...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:03:07 PM »

Actually these hymns are not in Slavic, but in Dutch using Eastern Slavic melodies (unfortunately). There are: usual Divine Liturgy, Vesperal Liturgy of Maundy Thursday, Great Vespers of Good Friday and Paschal midnight service plus some other hymns for various occassions

Somethings is lost in translation, I think...what is "unfortunate" - the language or the melodies? Thanks.

Melodies of course ;) Sorry for this misunderstood. I think Byzantine chant is suitable for (and beautiful in) every language. I've heard byzantine chant in lots of languages and it's always great. And I can't say the same thing for Russian (synodal) chant that's used in the link.
As for the language, it's great that they use Dutch because of missionary work.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline mike

• Stratopedarches
Lost in translation...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »

Melodies of course ;) Sorry for this misunderstood. I think Byzantine chant is suitable for (and beautiful in) every language. I've heard byzantine chant in lots of languages and it's always great. And I can't say the same thing for Russian (synodal) chant that's used in the link.

Gullible Hellenophilia scares me as much as Russophilia and is samely inexplicable.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • OC.net guru
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Sth different than my heart belongs to
Lost in translation...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »

Gullible Hellenophilia scares me as much as Russophilia and is samely inexplicable.

I don't suffer from Hellenophilia at all, really ;) (if you had said something about Serbo- or Arabo-philia regarding me, proably I would have to agree with you, although I think there is no "more Orthodox" nation or something like that).
I do appreciate some Russian and other Rusyns melodies and habits, but generally speaking, I prefer Southeren ones - they are much closer to Byzantium (so they're older, more traditional), but have local "colorous". For me it's easier to focus on prayer, the depth of the hymn and so on while it's being chanted in byzantine way. But it's a long story and an off-topic ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria