OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 11:16:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miami Dade Police Officer shows act of kindness to desperate mother  (Read 1377 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2013, 10:59:11 PM »

Sorry but if I have no other option to feed my kids, you're damn straight I'm stealing food.

I would love to know the weight of all the food that is thrown away because it is "expired" or "bad" in a total year. How many half-eaten plates get thrown away on a daily basis?

Yet this woman and her family are starving. It is crazy.

At least she was given a second chance with a new job and all that money for food.
Let us pray that everything works out for good.

Lord have mercy.

If I were starving along with my children, I would first seek aid from my church.
Quite a few Orthodox Christian churches in my area have Thanksgiving and Christmas parties for the poor and/or give Thanksgiving and Christmas baskets. Others participate in food pantries. The poor know that they can come to the church office and receive some assistance with offerings of clothes, food, and money.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »

Sorry but if I have no other option to feed my kids, you're damn straight I'm stealing food.

I would love to know the weight of all the food that is thrown away because it is "expired" or "bad" in a total year. How many half-eaten plates get thrown away on a daily basis?

I wonder what happened to all the WIC and Food Stamps money?

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2013, 11:51:11 PM »

Re: the OP —

While I fully support this officer's actions, I hope she is willing to face the full wrath of a disciplinary hearing. This ain't a normal person doing a decent thing, this is a sworn peace officer intentionally derelicting duty and then publicizing it.

The police officer did cite the woman with a misdemeanor, so this woman will have to face a judge or pay a fine, etc.
Didn't see that part. Every account I've read of this (two, to be exact) implied that the officer let the lady go.

If you had read the subheading in the OP link, you would have seen brightly blue colored heading:
'Arresting her wasn't going to solve the problem with her children being hungry,' said Thomas, who instead gave her a misdemeanor citation and bought her $100 worth of groceries

As my mom would have said: "Snake, it would have bitten you."  laugh

Oh, well, when I was in college, it was expected that we read the title page, subtitle, and introduction to all books.
Some graduate students still did not understand this expectation. And some did not pass.  Roll Eyes
Didn't read the link posted here. Probably should have, I guess, but I'd seen a couple of other versions of this story passed around and didn't feel the need to read more of the same here. Plus I don't take the Daily Mail seriously.

Locally, if you're an adult and you get caught shoplifting, you get booked into the municipal jail even on the misdemeanor offenses. Bond is a flat $706 for every count. I can't count the number of times I've read police narratives involving stolen groceries (or beer).

I won't go so far as to say all of those folks are desperate, but a few of them I have known from street encounters and stealing is all they've ever known.

I can't speak for Florida, but in Louisiana-Mississippi, the welfare reform of the 1990s required food stamp recipients/households to work so many hours a week, prove they're looking for work (the proof isn't too difficult), attend job training (it's hosted by the DHS office, and at the end they place you in a job) or prove why they can't work. If you let that lapse for too long, you're cut off, at least for a time.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:54:52 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2013, 06:30:46 AM »

I recently lived in Florida.  A single mom with kids and no job?  She'd get assistance in a heartbeat.  The application process has changed and is easier to do.  Perhaps it was the desperate act of a proud mother.  Who knows all the circumstances, though? Florida will also deny assistance for whatever reason.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »

I hear you can buy food stamps on ebay now.  Great. Roll Eyes

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »

Oh believe me after getting my Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks, this just warms the heart and stirs the soul.

I feel so good about myself I might donate a few cans to my nearest food bank.
yeah it's that time of the year when everything is "pumpkin spice".........<insert barfing gif here>

Proverbs 22:7
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »

Oh believe me after getting my Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks, this just warms the heart and stirs the soul.

yeah it's that time of the year when everything is "pumpkin spice".........<insert barfing gif here>

No kidding.  Although my wife did buy some sweet cinnamon pumpkin handsoap from Bath & body Works and it doesn't make me want to barf at all.

A co-worker brought some pumpkin pie spice creamer and was raving about it.  I said, "You know, it's just low-quality cinnamon and nutmeg extracts, right?"  She was miffed.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »

Just come over here when Costa bring in their Black Forest Hot Chocolate, in December. Fasting has just become exponentially harder.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:33:49 AM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »

I hear you can buy food stamps on ebay now.  Great. Roll Eyes

I suppose someone could sell EBT and TANF benefit cards online, but Front End Detection units and fraud investigators at local social service agencies are wise to such attempted scams, they monitor places like craigslist and eBay and with more regularity than people want to believe, they catch the scammers. Are they 100% effective? Of course not.

The Federal Government monetizes fraud detection and prevention with cash rewards to states with statistically appropriate detection statistics so there is something in it for your local authorities to pursue and prosecute fraud.

Replicas of and outdated of paper coupon books are available online and are no different than sales of old currency and stamps as collectables...http://www.ebay.com/bhp/food-stamps

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2013, 08:15:49 PM »

Yeah but then you won't be a real help when you're in jail and can't do anything at all for them anymore. I don't think I'd ever end up in a situation where my kids were starving because I'm constantly hoarding money and saving every little penny I find. But, if I did find myself in that situation, I'd just go down to one of my younger siblings' houses (assuming they're adults by this time) and make them feed us  Grin After all, they owe it to me since I took care of them so much growing up  Wink

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2013, 09:55:16 PM »

I don't think I'd ever end up in a situation where...

All of us do it now and then, but really, this game is a dangerous one to play. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2013, 10:03:58 PM »

One always ends up losing. Undecided

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2013, 09:32:40 AM »

One always ends up losing. Undecided

Indeed!  Loss is a repetitive fact of human existence.  Undecided

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: