OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:53:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miami Dade Police Officer shows act of kindness to desperate mother  (Read 1337 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: October 23, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »

The woman on the left is a mother from Miami who was so desperate to feed her hungry family that she was trying to steal a lot of food. The woman on the right i...s Miami-Dade County Police Officer Vicki Thomas. Officer Thomas was about to arrest Jessica Robles but changed her mind at the last minute. Instead of arresting her, she bought Robles $100 worth of groceries: “I made the decision to buy her some groceries because arresting her wasn't going to solve the problem with her children being hungry.” And there’s no denying they were hungry.

After word got out about what happened people donated another $700 for Jessica Robles to spend at the grocery store. And then best of all a local business owner invited her in for an interview and ended up hiring her on the spot as a customer service rep.

More here:
Police officer picks up tab for the groceries a desperate mother tried to STEAL to feed her struggling family
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2472832/Police-officer-picks-tab-groceries-desperate-mother-tried-STEAL-feed-struggling-family.html?ns_camp

Hey normie, what's that about being grateful for a job? police
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:44:09 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »

Wow!

I hope that lady will do well on her new job. That would set a great example. Did you read the comments on that paper? Some people think that crooks are crooks. However, people can repent and change their ways. Otherwise, there would be no hope for us sinners.

Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:39:23 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:29:38 PM »

God bless this woman and her family.  God bless this cop. 

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:49:35 PM »

The woman on the left is a mother from Miami who was so desperate to feed her hungry family that she was trying to steal a lot of food. The woman on the right i...s Miami-Dade County Police Officer Vicki Thomas. Officer Thomas was about to arrest Jessica Robles but changed her mind at the last minute. Instead of arresting her, she bought Robles $100 worth of groceries: “I made the decision to buy her some groceries because arresting her wasn't going to solve the problem with her children being hungry.” And there’s no denying they were hungry.

After word got out about what happened people donated another $700 for Jessica Robles to spend at the grocery store. And then best of all a local business owner invited her in for an interview and ended up hiring her on the spot as a customer service rep.

More here:
Police officer picks up tab for the groceries a desperate mother tried to STEAL to feed her struggling family
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2472832/Police-officer-picks-tab-groceries-desperate-mother-tried-STEAL-feed-struggling-family.html?ns_camp

Hey normie, what's that about being grateful for a job? police

You know what I think of this drivel.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:32:38 AM »

I tend to be skeptical of this sort of story. They seem to be popping up regularly on social media.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:34:20 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »

I tend to be skeptical of this sort of story. They seem to be popping up regularly on social media.

Absolutely everybody's favorite news source ( angel) , FOX, reported this the other day.  I caught an interview with the cop and the woman she helped out.  It wasn't so-called "social media", so I gave it some credence.  If it was a put-up job, why would the cop have allowed herself to be interviewed on national t.v.?  If she wasn't really a cop (in spite of the uniform she was wearing with a very obvious badge and shoulder patch-thingy of the police dept.) wouldn't the police dept. have discredited her?

If the story is true, I second hecma925:
.  If the story is untrue, I second hecma925:

If the story is true, why would it be "drivel"??

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 10:47:53 AM »

It seems that the story has been picked up and reported by MSN News, Yahoo News, ABC News, Daily mail, jobs.aol.com, NY Daily News, and a slew of TV stations--mostly in Florida but some as far as Denver and Boston.

As a "glass is half-full" type person, I love stories that affirm the existence of goodness.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:48:21 AM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 10:49:17 AM »

It seems that the story has been picked up and reported by MSN News, Yahoo News, ABC News, Daily mail, jobs.aol.com, NY Daily News, and a slew of TV stations--mostly in Florida but some as far as Denver and Boston.

As a "glass is half-full" type person, I love stories that affirm the existence of goodness.

You and me both, brother!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »

By skeptical, I did not mean dismissive. This one seems genuine. I pray it works out for the officer (whose actions may present trouble with fellow cops) and for the woman.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »

Gotta balance out those armoured personnel carriers somehow.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 11:45:30 AM »

They're just on their break.  If you look really, really closely, you'll see the cops eating donuts.  Grin

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »

Well, yeah....why not?  Is every cop an ogre? 

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 12:10:42 PM »

They're just on their break.  If you look really, really closely, you'll see the cops eating donuts.  Grin

No, no . no. Can't you see? They are enforcing alternate side of the street parking regulations in anticipation of winter weather! Those regulations really, really tick off the locals!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 12:13:35 PM »

They're just on their break.  If you look really, really closely, you'll see the cops eating donuts.  Grin

No, no . no. Can't you see? They are enforcing alternate side of the street parking regulations in anticipation of winter weather! Those regulations really, really tick off the locals!

LOLOLOL!!!!

What, AND eating donuts all the while?!?! Cool
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:14:15 PM by J Michael » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »

Blessed are the police officers, for they shall have doughnuts.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »

They're just on their break.  If you look really, really closely, you'll see the cops eating donuts.  Grin

Donuts with all their fried grease are not good for the heart.
Giving police free donuts is not a service.

Oh, if my husband were ever offered a free donut, he would not refuse it.
He is a sweet tooth!

Back on topic. It is good when police officers get some positive coverage.
That this female officer is doing such good deeds is a good sign.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:45:10 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »

Donuts with all their fried grease are not good for the heart.
Giving police free donuts is not a service.
Oh, if my husband were ever offered a free donut, he would not refuse it.

He is a sweet tooth!

Huh Huh  You're married to a tooth?!?!?!  I can't even imagine what that must be like.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:46:40 PM by J Michael » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 02:53:24 PM »

A tooth?  And the marriage was blessed in Church?  Someone call the bishop, STAT

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 03:01:54 PM »

Just as every cop is a criminal and all the sinners saints.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »

Uh...okay. Wink

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »

Uh...okay. Wink

Uh, I used to know someone who could take care of that alternate side parking ticket if it is your first violation....Let me know.... Wink
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »

Uh...okay. Wink

Uh, I used to know someone who could take care of that alternate side parking ticket if it is your first violation....Let me know.... Wink

How many donuts?

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 03:32:35 PM »

I had a lovely donut yesterday, from Starbucks of all places.  It warmed my heart. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »

Oh believe me after getting my Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks, this just warms the heart and stirs the soul.

I feel so good about myself I might donate a few cans to my nearest food bank.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »

I had a lovely donut yesterday, from Starbucks of all places.  It warmed my heart. 

Hearts are meant to be warmed.  Donuts excel at it.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »

Oh believe me after getting my Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks, this just warms the heart and stirs the soul.

An excellent drink!  I think I'll get one today and drink to you.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »

You both are disgusting and one day we will talk about the woman you are using as your avatar and 1989 or there abouts.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 03:54:25 PM »

Actually I meant to say this story warms my heart.

And sorry to disappoint, I'm not your typical college girl with yoga pants and a pumpkin spice.

I was being sarcastic peoplez...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:54:53 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »

Middle class brofist with a smile.

Cya in my Suburban.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »

You both are disgusting and one day we will talk about the woman you are using as your avatar and 1989 or there abouts.

Looking forward to it.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 04:06:16 PM »

Actually I meant to say this story warms my heart.

And sorry to disappoint, I'm not your typical college girl with yoga pants and a pumpkin spice.

I was being sarcastic peoplez...

You mean you don't have yoga pants?  Sheesh......!!! Grin
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:06:59 PM by J Michael » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »

Only girls drink starbucks.  Being a manly man I drink coffee brewed with whiskey.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »

Only girls drink starbucks.  Being a manly man I drink coffee brewed with whiskey.

Wowzers!  As in, using whiskey instead of water?  I now have a new hero!!!!!!  Which whiskey?

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 04:33:42 PM »

Kewl! Especially as the brewing gets all the alcohol out. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 04:36:33 PM »

Where I work only gives us that garbage now, so roll like Mor except with full cream.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 04:38:04 PM »

Only girls drink starbucks.  Being a manly man I drink coffee brewed with whiskey.

Brewed??? You mean twice boiled, don't you? Then add whiskey and par boil.

NO cream. No sugar.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:39:03 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »

Kewl! Especially as the brewing gets all the alcohol out. Wink

Every alcoholic's wife's tale.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »

I love Irish coffee!  Minus the coffee. Wink

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »

Where I work only gives us that garbage now, so roll like Mor except with full cream.

There are worse examples you could've followed. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 08:30:43 PM »

Only girls drink starbucks.  Being a manly man I drink coffee brewed with whiskey.

Brewed??? You mean twice boiled, don't you? Then add whiskey and par boil.

NO cream. No sugar.
This sounds a lot like the coffee I shared with my sailor friend in the back of the children's Q and A session when the bishop visited a couple of years ago.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 08:33:45 PM »

Re: the OP —

While I fully support this officer's actions, I hope she is willing to face the full wrath of a disciplinary hearing. This ain't a normal person doing a decent thing, this is a sworn peace officer intentionally derelicting duty and then publicizing it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:35:24 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »

While I fully support this officer's actions, I hope she is willing to face the full wrath of a disciplinary hearing. This ain't a normal person doing a decent thing, this is a sworn peace officer intentionally derelicting duty and then publicizing it.

The police officer did cite the woman with a misdemeanor, so this woman will have to face a judge or pay a fine, etc.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:13:49 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »

The police officer did cite the woman with a misdemeanor, so this woman will have to face a judge or pay a fine, etc.
Didn't see that part. Every account I've read of this (two, to be exact) implied that the officer let the lady go.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2013, 10:49:43 PM »

Didn't see that part. Every account I've read of this (two, to be exact) implied that the officer let the lady go.

If you had read the subheading in the OP link, you would have seen brightly blue colored heading:
'Arresting her wasn't going to solve the problem with her children being hungry,' said Thomas, who instead gave her a misdemeanor citation and bought her $100 worth of groceries

As my mom would have said: "Snake, it would have bitten you."  laugh

Oh, well, when I was in college, it was expected that we read the title page, subtitle, and introduction to all books.
Some graduate students still did not understand this expectation. And some did not pass.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:54:38 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2013, 10:51:46 PM »

Sorry but if I have no other option to feed my kids, you're damn straight I'm stealing food.

I would love to know the weight of all the food that is thrown away because it is "expired" or "bad" in a total year. How many half-eaten plates get thrown away on a daily basis?

Yet this woman and her family are starving. It is crazy.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: