OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 08:19:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should all forms of dancing be banned?
Yes, all dancing arouses the passions.
No, folk dancing should be allowed.
No, only dirty dancing should be banned.
No, see my reply below.
I am not sure.

Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should dancing be banned in Orthodox Christian Halls and Festivals?  (Read 1931 times) Average Rating: 0
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2013, 08:09:28 PM »

Maria, you don't get it; you're not a man. There is no such thing as "modest" dancing. Whenever a woman is moving her body around it is going to inflame passions within us males. I don't care if she's wearing an astronaut space suit; men are going to be attracted.

God willing, someday you will not be a teenager or young adult male. Smiley
+1

JamesR, no offense, dancing does not excite me.  Maybe 17 yr old kids will be attracted given their relatively higher libido, but once you are in your 30s, I'm way more excited over the prospect of eating a piece of pie or some cookies than I am over some girl dancing.  Unless she is scantily clothed.  Then that is going to catch my attention unfortunately.  Sad

Beware of dancing girls bringing cookies.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »

...'Orthodox Dances.'..

Orthodox liturgical dancers? IS INNOVATIONIST OUTRAGE!

Hopefully, that never happens. I saw enough of that when I was a Roman Catholic.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2013, 08:26:14 PM »

Maria, you don't get it; you're not a man. There is no such thing as "modest" dancing. Whenever a woman is moving her body around it is going to inflame passions within us males. I don't care if she's wearing an astronaut space suit; men are going to be attracted.

+1

JamesR, no offense, dancing does not excite me.  Maybe 17 yr old kids will be attracted given their relatively higher libido, but once you are in your 30s, I'm way more excited over the prospect of eating a piece of pie or some cookies than I am over some girl dancing.  Unless she is scantily clothed.  Then that is going to catch my attention unfortunately.  Sad

Girl Scouts don't dance, but they always manage to con me out of my money.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2013, 08:26:48 PM »

+1

JamesR, no offense, dancing does not excite me.  Maybe 17 yr old kids will be attracted given their relatively higher libido, but once you are in your 30s, I'm way more excited over the prospect of eating a piece of pie or some cookies than I am over some girl dancing.  Unless she is scantily clothed.  Then that is going to catch my attention unfortunately.  Sad

Beware of dancing girls bringing cookies  bearing trays of apple pie, cheesecake, and baklava.

Fixed it for you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:27:17 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »

...'Orthodox Dances.'..

Hopefully, that never happens. I saw enough of that when I was a Roman Catholic.
The local Catholics would never do such a thing. The local black Baptists, however, love it.

I see no place for such a practice to be integrated into Orthodox services. Anywhere it could be shoehorned in would be awkward.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2013, 08:31:39 PM »

...'Orthodox Dances.'..

The local Catholics would never do such a thing. The local black Baptists, however, love it.

I see no place for such a practice to be integrated into Orthodox services. Anywhere it could be shoehorned in would be awkward.

I dunno.  I think a nice dance between the Epistle reading and the Gospel reading could be nice.  You could even have the Deacon whirl across the front with his vestments fluttering.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2013, 08:37:57 PM »

I dunno.  I think a nice dance between the Epistle reading and the Gospel reading could be nice.  You could even have the Deacon whirl across the front with his vestments fluttering.

Haha, like this:
Catholic and Orthodox Liturgy compared
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxcOv4zPoVo&feature=player_detailpage#t=99

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2013, 08:48:01 PM »

...'Orthodox Dances.'..

Perhaps the altar boys could take orders for cocktails. With a decent mark-up, it could pay the church's bills better than any festival. Add some high tables for the standing crowd...

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »

...'Orthodox Dances.'..

Perhaps the altar boys could take orders for cocktails. With a decent mark-up, it could pay the church's bills better than any festival. Add some high tables for the standing crowd...
I'm shocked, SHOCKED you would make such a suggestion.  It is still during fast.  Tongue

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »

+1

Girl Scouts don't dance, but they always manage to con me out of my money.

But...Cub Scout popcorn is even more expensive!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2013, 09:04:03 PM »

...'Orthodox Dances.'..

I'm shocked, SHOCKED you would make such a suggestion.  It is still during fast.  Tongue

Your Scotch, sir.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2013, 09:05:45 PM »

...'Orthodox Dances.'..

I dunno.  I think a nice dance between the Epistle reading and the Gospel reading could be nice.  You could even have the Deacon whirl across the front with his vestments fluttering.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED you would make such a suggestion.  It is still during fast.  Tongue

Your Scotch, sir.

You're scorched, sir!   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:28:55 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2013, 09:06:29 PM »

...'Orthodox Dances.'..

I dunno.  I think a nice dance between the Epistle reading and the Gospel reading could be nice.  You could even have the Deacon whirl across the front with his vestments fluttering.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED you would make such a suggestion.  It is still during fast.  Tongue

Your Scotch, sir.
Oh, thank you very much.

laugh

I'm a sucker for Casablanca
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:07:24 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »

But...Cub Scout popcorn is even more expensive!

You're right, but they don't dance either!  Just some sad eyes and some spiel about not going to some Jamboree.  Ah, what the heck, sign me up for 3 cans of popcorn. Grin

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2013, 12:08:08 AM »

just keep it outside the church...

AND NO TWERKING

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2013, 01:21:43 AM »

Should all forms of dancing be banned in Orthodox Christian Halls and Festivals?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with modest traditional Greek folk dancing as is done in Greek Orthodox Churches.

I am not going to read this thread at this point. I specified No see my reply below.

Traditional Greek folk dancing should certainly be allowed and also spontaneous or dances to the same music.

I am also an advocate to belly dancing. I think it is fine in a Greek festival Taverna setting. I do not mean the tribal form (which I dislike because it just seems like a fitness/weight loss program to me). If you think I am joking, I am serious about this, but it is late for me to set forth why I think this dance form is worthwhile.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2013, 02:06:18 AM »

When I took a tour of a Catholic home for the aged many years ago with a group of young ladies who were thinking of volunteering or working there, the nun in charge told us, "These elderly men may look old, but they are certainly not dead." She chuckled and then told us to be very careful.

When I was student teaching, we were told to dress very modestly and always wear a vest or jacket over our blouse because some autistic boys, teens, and men will try to touch a woman who is not appropriately covered.

It's very true. And I'm not saying it's okay or anything--we men SHOULD be able to control ourselves, but most of us can't. Heck, I can't. I think all dancing should be prohibited in these halls.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2013, 02:06:18 AM »

Who will set the criteria for what constitutes "inappropriate" or "dirty" dancing"?  It's so vague hence why I voted no.  If individual parishes who have halls want to do that, that's up to the individual halls, but I don't think such a directive should come down from on high from the archbishop.  Doesn't he have anything better to do?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2013, 02:06:18 AM »

I once said Romanian Pentecostals were against premarital sex because it might lead to dancing.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2013, 02:43:54 AM »

Should all forms of dancing be banned in Orthodox Christian Halls and Festivals?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with modest traditional Greek folk dancing as is done in Greek Orthodox Churches.

I am not going to read this thread at this point. I specified No see my reply below.

Traditional Greek folk dancing should certainly be allowed and also spontaneous or dances to the same music.

I am also an advocate to belly dancing. I think it is fine in a Greek festival Taverna setting. I do not mean the tribal form (which I dislike because it just seems like a fitness/weight loss program to me). If you think I am joking, I am serious about this, but it is late for me to set forth why I think this dance form is worthwhile.

The bolded part is why I started training in it. Cheesy Then I fell in love with the form, and the rest is history.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2013, 04:10:59 AM »

Don't have have any idea what TWERKING is and suspect my ignorance is possibly a blessing.

What should not be allowed?

Dancing, no. JamesR pretty well covered that.
Groups idolising Ancient Greek Gods.
Political meetings
Masonic events

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2013, 07:01:38 AM »

I once said Romanian Pentecostals were against premarital sex because it might lead to dancing.

No, that'd be Puerto Rican pentecostals, too.  Unless in repentance, you dance "in the spirit" and are later "slain."

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2013, 10:18:25 AM »

Don't have have any idea what TWERKING is and suspect my ignorance is possibly a blessing.

More than possibly.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: