Author Topic: Introduction thread for new and old members  (Read 59402 times)

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
Re: Introduction thread for new and old members
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »
i am glad your leak is fixed.
(if i understand you right).

i hope you have also sorted your bug problem.

it british english, a buggy (plural - buggies) is a type of plastic basket on wheels
that you put your baby or small kid in to avoid carrying it all the time.

so when i saw your post in the prayer thread, i had images of parents running manically around
with their small kids on wheels, accidently causing you all kinds of random distress!

i suppose that would have been easier to sort out though, i posted it in case it gave you a laugh
 ;)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2014, 03:35:50 PM »

it british english, a buggy (plural - buggies) is a type of plastic basket on wheels

so when i saw your post in the prayer thread, i had images of parents running manically around
with their small kids on wheels, accidently causing you all kinds of random distress!

i suppose that would have been easier to sort out though, i posted it in case it gave you a laugh
 ;)
I had visions of Amish buggies careening around. I decided not to post that in a prayer thread though. lol
God bless!

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »
Welcome, NanaDeborah!
I have one question, because your life seems to be very satisfying and nice and, even if I am just 16 years old, I think it is be great to be married and have a wonderful and harmonic life with my family, and to have a successful career, which must not bring be too much money, but enough to feed my family. I still go to school and I don't plan to marry in the next future, but still, my question is: Are you happy with your life? Because you really seem to have lots of life experience, a happy family and a successful career and that's what I am aiming for.

Thank you so much for this question.  I have been thinking about how to answer.  I don't want to hijack this thread so I will start a new one.  I guess in "Other" since it does not seem to fit anywhere else, and if it is not the right place then I guess they will move it. 
Thy Bridal Chamber, I see adorned, O my Savior, and have no wedding garment that I may enter.  Enlighten the vesture of my soul, O Giver of Light, and save me.

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
  • God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!
  • Jurisdiction: OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »

;)
I had visions of Amish buggies careening around. I decided not to post that in a prayer thread though. lol

Me too!!!   Because of a large Amish population, horse-and-buggies are a very common sight around here.  There are even a few buggy shops where they repair buggies.

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
  • God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!
  • Jurisdiction: OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2014, 01:13:06 PM »
In my family, we also use "baby buggies" in the sense that Mabsoota mentioned.

The rather small English side of my ancestry, however, came to America about 150 years ago, so I don't know if it came over with the immigration or if it is also something we also generally say in America.

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
In my family, we also use "baby buggies" in the sense that Mabsoota mentioned.

The rather small English side of my ancestry, however, came to America about 150 years ago, so I don't know if it came over with the immigration or if it is also something we also generally say in America.

We always said "baby buggies" but in New Zealand (quite British) they call them "prams."
Thy Bridal Chamber, I see adorned, O my Savior, and have no wedding garment that I may enter.  Enlighten the vesture of my soul, O Giver of Light, and save me.

Offline Regnare

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2014, 05:23:26 PM »
I might as well join the group of people who didn't even know this was a thread somewhere. I'm a Canadian university student, studying political theory and the history of Christianity and some other things. My main hobby is amassing trivial knowledge.

I was a relatively recent convert to Roman Catholicism from the United Church of Canada (a liberal mainline denomination which united all of Canada's Congregationalists and Methodists, plus some of its Presbyterians, in the 1920s). Then I wondered to myself, "How is it that the Orthodox stayed so close to the Catholic faith when all of the other groups that broke off became so different?" So I did some research and I found out the answer, and then spent a year trying to prove that answer wrong, and then became a catechumen in the OCA (as you might imagine, the answer turned out to be that Rome broke off from Orthodoxy).
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." --Psalm 91: 1-2

Offline Terry2

« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2014, 04:29:31 PM »
Hi, my registration finally got authorized today.  Just wanted to into myself and say hello.  I'm in the process of converting to the Orthodox faith and wanted to fellowship with other brothers and sisters here. 

I'm still getting used to this Simple Machines format, so please forgive me if I screw something up.  :laugh:

Offline Antonios

« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2014, 08:00:09 PM »
Greeting Terry!  It is good to have you here!   :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:00:57 PM by Antonios »

Offline Terry2

« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
Greeting Terry!  It is good to have you here!   :)

Thanks Antonios!  Good to be here.  Hope to learn a lot from some of the elders here.  Thanks brother!  :)

Offline ays

• Слава Богу! Praise be God!
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2014, 04:04:04 AM »
I did not see this thread...

Anyway, my name is Bogdan (Богдан) and I am from Belgrade, Serbia (born and raised). I have beautiful and very wise fiancee that I will be, God willing, married to soon. I am blessed and very fortunate to have a person like her in my life.
I have a M.Sc in Software Engineering and have been working as a programmer/developer for 7 years now.

I was chrismated at the early age in Orthodox Church of Vladimir Nevsky in Belgrade, even tho I was born while the country was called Yugoslavia and was ruled by communist party. If anyone is interested, this is the church:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/HramSvetogAleksandraNevskog.jpg.

Its in the area of Belgrade where I grew up. :)
Hа муци се познају јунаци. (In trouble, heroes emerges) | Βασιλεὺς Βασιλέων Βασιλεύων Βασιλευόντων

Offline Georgii

• Elder
  • Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German episcopate
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2014, 05:01:22 AM »
my name is Bogdan (Богдан)

Welcome, Bogdan! That is a beautiful church.

You having a wise finacee and, God willing, she also being your wife is a great blessing.

My wife is just old enough to have been an Young Communist in the former Soviet Union at that time, but she has repented since then. I also took part in the Cold War on the Western side, though I cannot say that we always did the right thing, either. God bless!
my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment

Offline ays

« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2014, 08:06:11 AM »
Thank you Georgii
Hа муци се познају јунаци. (In trouble, heroes emerges) | Βασιλεὺς Βασιλέων Βασιλεύων Βασιλευόντων

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »
I did not see this thread...

Anyway, my name is Bogdan (Богдан) and I am from Belgrade, Serbia (born and raised). I have beautiful and very wise fiancee that I will be, God willing, married to soon. I am blessed and very fortunate to have a person like her in my life.
I have a M.Sc in Software Engineering and have been working as a programmer/developer for 7 years now.

I was chrismated at the early age in Orthodox Church of Vladimir Nevsky in Belgrade, even tho I was born while the country was called Yugoslavia and was ruled by communist party. If anyone is interested, this is the church:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/HramSvetogAleksandraNevskog.jpg.

Its in the area of Belgrade where I grew up. :)

How nice to see more Serbs on the forum! :)
The church of Aleksandar Nevski is the favourite Belgrade church of my aunt (living in the Belgrade suburbs) :)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline ays

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2014, 08:05:26 AM »
How nice to see more Serbs on the forum! :)
The church of Aleksandar Nevski is the favourite Belgrade church of my aunt (living in the Belgrade suburbs) :)

Awesome mate, awesome!

and I just realised that I wrote, for a reason completely unknown to me, "Vladimir Nevsky" instead of "Alexander Nevsky"... I need a vacation! :D

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2014, 05:13:32 PM »
not all ze slavs is called 'vladmir'?

eez outrage!

;)

Offline Greg

« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2014, 02:54:47 PM »
Registration was approved of today. I am 25 years old and a catechumen at the Greek Orthodox parish in my town; I am coming over from the Southern Baptist/non-denomiational Evangelical camp.

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
« Reply #152 on: November 11, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »
welcome!
you will find the most helpful advice in the convert issues forum, as the moderation is more thorough there.
 :)

Offline Didyma

• Elder
  • St. Lawrence of Canterbury, pray for us!
« Reply #153 on: November 11, 2014, 10:36:15 PM »
Hi, I'm Didyma.  My username is a reference to the fact that I'm a twin.  I'm currently 20 years old and am a sophomore in college.  I live in the southern United States.  My major is Linguistics with a focus in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (T.E.S.O.L.).  I haven't decided my minor yet.  I have many interests, including foreign affairs, art, storytelling, and learning languages.  I used to love reading books, too, but everything changed when I started to get a bunch of assigned reading for school. :( My original brand of Christianity was United Methodism. 

Also, I am learning Japanese in order to become a missionary in Japan, so if you know Japanese you can PM me in said language.  However, I am only about toddler level at the moment -- I'm about to take the N5 level of the J.L.P.T. in December.

Welcome, all!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:56:05 PM by Didyma »
.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
welcome!
don't worry about the reading, i found i couldn't read for pleasure (except the Bible) while i was studying,
but the feeling came back a few years later and now i can read a lot.
since i started to learn about orthodox Christianity about 9 years ago, i have been mainly reading about that,
coz it's the most fun thing to read!

do you have contacts with the russian orthodox church in japan?
there are some native japanese who go to their 2 churches,
and there is also a coptic orthodox church as well. they also have japanese people there, according to internet photos.

sadly, when i was there 6 years ago, i was traveling with people who were not orthodox,
and i also wasn't in the right places at the right time.
we did visit a nice protestant church, though, and the visiting canadian speaker preached in fluent japanese.
i don't know what he said, but our friend said it was interesting!

we learnt about 14 useful phrases (mostly about food) and i learnt to read 3 of the letters (that's about 0.1%!)
o yasumi na sai
(which i think means goodnight!)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2014, 04:57:19 PM »
Registration was approved of today. I am 25 years old and a catechumen at the Greek Orthodox parish in my town; I am coming over from the Southern Baptist/non-denomiational Evangelical camp.

Hello and welcome.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Greg

« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »
Thank you for the welcome.

I thought there were more than two Orthodox churches over in Japan?

Offline Didyma

• Elder
  • St. Lawrence of Canterbury, pray for us!
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2014, 10:31:53 PM »
welcome!
don't worry about the reading, i found i couldn't read for pleasure (except the Bible) while i was studying,
but the feeling came back a few years later and now i can read a lot.
since i started to learn about orthodox Christianity about 9 years ago, i have been mainly reading about that,
coz it's the most fun thing to read!

do you have contacts with the russian orthodox church in japan?
there are some native japanese who go to their 2 churches,
and there is also a coptic orthodox church as well. they also have japanese people there, according to internet photos.

sadly, when i was there 6 years ago, i was traveling with people who were not orthodox,
and i also wasn't in the right places at the right time.
we did visit a nice protestant church, though, and the visiting canadian speaker preached in fluent japanese.
i don't know what he said, but our friend said it was interesting!

we learnt about 14 useful phrases (mostly about food) and i learnt to read 3 of the letters (that's about 0.1%!)
o yasumi na sai
(which i think means goodnight!)

Really?  I hope my desire to read for fun comes back after I leave school.  I feel kind of bummed about it, but I don't have a lot of time what with all the studying.  I don't have any church contacts in Japan.  I'll get to translating their site page after I"m done studying for the JLPT, and maybe I can find the email of a priest near Niigata (where I'll be going, God willing, this summer).  I'm pretty sure there's more than two churches, though!  The Church of Japan (autonomous) has about 45 churches and missions according to the Orthodox Wiki page: http://orthodoxwiki.org/List_of_parishes_in_Japan
.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...

Offline KostaC

• Elder
  • Ὁ Τελευταῖος Ἔπαρχος τῶν Πραιτωρίων της Αφρικής
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Thessaloniki
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2014, 12:25:24 AM »
Hi, I'm Didyma.  My username is a reference to the fact that I'm a twin.  I'm currently 20 years old and am a sophomore in college.  I live in the southern United States.  My major is Linguistics with a focus in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (T.E.S.O.L.).  I haven't decided my minor yet.  I have many interests, including foreign affairs, art, storytelling, and learning languages.  I used to love reading books, too, but everything changed when I started to get a bunch of assigned reading for school. :( My original brand of Christianity was United Methodism. 

Also, I am learning Japanese in order to become a missionary in Japan, so if you know Japanese you can PM me in said language.  However, I am only about toddler level at the moment -- I'm about to take the N5 level of the J.L.P.T. in December.

Welcome, all!

My Orthodox Christian Fellowship chaplain was a missionary in Japan. He seemed to have done a lot there during his time serving in one of Japan's cathedrals. If you ever have any questions about becoming a missionary in Japan, I'd recommend that you contact Fr. Constantine White.

• My name is Constantine: and also Brian. My Dad is a normal American and my Mom is Greek. I just have American citizenship, but I'd like to think that I'll start the process of dual citizenship—someday.
  • I was born and raised in the great city of Chicago, although now I go to school in Washington, D.C. and commute back and forth between the two cities. I'll be studying abroad in Thessaloniki this summer, I hope.
  • I study international relations and my concentration of focus is on Russia, Central Asia, and Iran. If any of you know any Tajik or Persian Orthodox Christians, I'd love to get in contact with them. I study Byzantine history and the Greek Diaspora in my spare time, although I haven't had much of that in awhile.
  • I'm a normal American and I like normal things, like polo and cufflinks and whiskey. You know, the usual stuff.
  • I like learning languages. I want to serve the Church somewhere where it could use another set of hands, but the only language I speak well besides English already has been solidly Orthodox for about I'd say 1600 years. If anyone is interested in starting a mission church in Chicago, send me a message, please!
  • I like rites. Old Rite, Mozarabic Rite, Liturgy of Saint Tikhon Coptic Rite—I love 'em all.
  • I tend to like indie, rap, rembetiko, and bluegrass, although I've been listening to Buena Vista Social Club a lot recently.
  • I'd like to get better acquainted with people around here. I kind of feel like I don't add much to the conversations found in any of our subforums.
«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34

"Bendito seja o que vem em nome do Senhor, o Senhor é Deus e se manifestou a nós."

Offline 1am3rd

« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »
Hi, all!

I am Canadian, living in Jordan.  I am a (Carpatho-Russian) Orthodox convert.   I converted almost twenty years ago now.  I'm older than 25 ;-)

A homily I heard ages ago talked about a license plate with "IAM3RD" on it.  It was from a family who were friends with the Priest.  (I actually passed the car one day on the highway).  They chose it to represent the priorities in their lives:  First, Christ.  Second, everyone else.  Third, one's self.

I hope this is how I live my life. 

I have a degree in Protestant Theology, and one in Eastern Christian Studies.  I have a lot to learn!  I hope I can learn a lot here, and maybe even have a little something worth sharing.

Thanks and God bless,
Iam3rd

Κύριε Ιησού Χριστέ ελέησόν με

Offline Chiere

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2014, 10:11:03 PM »
Welcome to all the new members here!
To God Be the Glory!

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2014, 11:47:05 PM »
I have been an online copywriter for two years after 18 years in newspapers (feature writing, proofreading, page-making with the computer, digital video for the Web, and editing). Give me a business's name and line of work, and I'll come up with 1,000+ SEO-friendly words, creating an online brand identity, a personality, a voice for that company that will drive customers to it. My copywriting strategy: “Look for the hook (what's in it for this company's customers?) and create a character.” I've written content on over 1,500 commercial websites for small businesses of all kinds all over the country and one overseas (Belgium — worked via Skype), including in Spanish, and have trained writers.

All of these are skills applicable to any kind of corporate communications.

Writing samples:

http://rizzosroastbeef.com/
http://larsonrockforddentist.com/
http://www.drhibler.com/
http://www.lawrenceandtylersc.com/
http://www.marinesandmickey.org/
http://code-on.eu/
https://twitter.com/JohnBeeler1 (links to newspaper work)
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline DanielGarneau

• Savoir et croire .ca (Knowing and Believing)
  • Faith: Evangelical Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Église vie abondante
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Hello,

I found this forum as I was looking for information to help me in my tasks as webmaster and webowner of a site dedicated to showing the connection there is between learning, knowing, believing and commitment.

The article http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/articles/48-some-reflections-on-managing-an-orthodox-christian-discussion-forum published by Anastasios Hudson really caught my interest, because it lays down principles that are applicable to my own participation in any Christian forum.

So I was drawn here for an interest in the practical aspects of participating in the Web as Christian. But also because I am interested in learning about believers in Christ of other traditions.

I was raised and born in a Roman Catholic environment in Quebec Canada. I did my primary grades in the 1960's. One year I carried a paper back edition of the New Testament as one of our textbook. But we never opened it in school. No one ever talked about its contents in my family either.

It was as a young adult that I first met people who were actually discussing the Bible's contents. Through them I started considering how I should live in relationship to God. These people were Evangelical Christians. When I decided to turn my life over to God, it was within that context. Many years ago now.

May God bless you all, and thank you for allowing me to be a member of this community.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:08:16 AM by DanielGarneau »
"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts" (Colossians 3:15; NIV, 2011).

Offline The young fogey

• Archon
  • Milhouse van Houten in a Raymond Chandler novel
    • A conservative blog for peace
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Roman Rite
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
Update: I'm out of the copywriting business and in the production side of publishing.
"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

Russian icons and Byzantine prayers at home; Ukrainian Catholic parish once a month. Traditional Latin Mass most other Sundays.

High-church libertarian
Blog

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
Hello,

I found this forum as I was looking for information to help me in my tasks as webmaster and webowner of a site dedicated to showing the connection there is between learning, knowing, believing and commitment.

The article http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/articles/48-some-reflections-on-managing-an-orthodox-christian-discussion-forum published by Anastasios Hudson really caught my interest, because it lays down principles that are applicable to my own participation in any Christian forum.

So I was drawn here for an interest in the practical aspects of participating in the Web as Christian. But also because I am interested in learning about believers in Christ of other traditions.

I was raised and born in a Roman Catholic environment in Quebec Canada. I did my primary grades in the 1960's. One year I carried a paper back edition of the New Testament as one of our textbook. But we never opened it in school. No one ever talked about its contents in my family either.

It was as a young adult that I first met people who were actually discussing the Bible's contents. Through them I started considering how I should live in relationship to God. These people were Evangelical Christians. When I decided to turn my life over to God, it was within that context. Many years ago now.

May God bless you all, and thank you for allowing me to be a member of this community.
Welcome to the forum!  :)
God bless!

Offline Chiere

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
Welcome!
To God Be the Glory!

Offline Jakoblaj

• Jurisdiction: GOArch
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2014, 08:25:48 PM »
Hello!  This is my first post.  I am a new member of both the forum and of the Orthodox Church!  I have found a lot of useful information in these pages and am excited to be a part of the community now! 

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2014, 08:29:35 PM »
 a danielgarneau - bienvenu.......
kyrie eleison

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2014, 08:46:04 PM »
Hello!  This is my first post.  I am a new member of both the forum and of the Orthodox Church!  I have found a lot of useful information in these pages and am excited to be a part of the community now! 
Welcome!  Always nice to see new people.  :)
God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2014, 12:21:45 AM »

Hello and welcome to the board.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2014, 06:54:07 AM »
Welcome DanielGarneau and Jakoblaj.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline DanielGarneau

• Savoir et croire .ca (Knowing and Believing)
  • Faith: Evangelical Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Église vie abondante
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2014, 08:09:21 AM »
Thank you for welcoming me into your on-line community.
"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts" (Colossians 3:15; NIV, 2011).

Offline Julian6352

« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2015, 11:40:31 PM »
Hi all,
I'm new here too. I live in the Northwest USA, at the present time I'm not affiliated with any particular religion but for the past year or so I have had an interest in Orthodoxy. I've studied NT Greek and one of my hobbies is reading about the earliest forms of Christianity. I guess that is part of what has drawn me to the Orthodox faith. I'm here to learn from you. I'm a lawyer by profession and raised in the Mormon religion but left it a few years ago. My disaffection with that faith primarily started from reading the Bible (especially the New Testament).
Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν με τὸν ἁμαρτωλόν.   :)
χάρις ὑμῖν καὶ εἰρήνη

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2015, 12:04:43 AM »
Hi all,
I'm new here too. I live in the Northwest USA, at the present time I'm not affiliated with any particular religion but for the past year or so I have had an interest in Orthodoxy. I've studied NT Greek and one of my hobbies is reading about the earliest forms of Christianity. I guess that is part of what has drawn me to the Orthodox faith. I'm here to learn from you. I'm a lawyer by profession and raised in the Mormon religion but left it a few years ago. My disaffection with that faith primarily started from reading the Bible (especially the New Testament).
Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, Υἱὲ τοῦ Θεοῦ, ἐλέησόν με τὸν ἁμαρτωλόν.   :)

Welcome! 

There are a number of people here who were Mormons or know a lot about Mormonism.  There are also a few lawyers among us.  There are people who are from your part of the country as well.  I'm none of those things, but I did study Greek.  :P
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2015, 12:34:09 AM »
Hello and welcome, Julian.

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2015, 06:52:13 AM »
Welcome Julian.  We hope you like it here.

Χριστός Ανέστη!

Offline Tommelomsky

• High Elder
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2015, 01:04:03 AM »
Hello. I am Thomas. 42.
From Oslo in Norway.

Back after like 1 1/2 years of abscence.  Still green and soon two years old as Orthodox.
Realizing it takes time to get into the different practices in church.

My words are spoken through pictures (photo as hobby, specifically of metro as in being a metronut
/subwaynerd). Enjoying music, movies, mma, nhl and mlb.

Trying to learn something new every day. Like the russian alphabeth. Russian classes begins in september.
Not sure if I should go the steps in church or not. Currently being an altar-server/reader in training.

Posting on a messageboard like this is a good way to socialize, as getting in touch with people in this setting is
often a no-happening situation around here. Most people do not share my interests about orthodoxy and they
speak in either my native tongue or a slavonic language. English is so much more fun.
I will not be posting or participating here anymore.
They claim this is an Orthodox Christian forum.
Well, it is not!

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2015, 01:08:15 AM »
welcome back!
kyrie eleison

Offline Tommelomsky

• High Elder
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2015, 01:09:35 AM »
Thank you. :)
I will not be posting or participating here anymore.
They claim this is an Orthodox Christian forum.
Well, it is not!

Offline elephant

• High Elder
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »
Dear Tommelomsky,

Welcome back.  Please post one of your photographs.

Love, elephant