OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 08:46:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction thread for new and old members  (Read 11755 times) Average Rating: 0
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »

200 million people speak arabic.
it's a useful language.
 Smiley
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »

it's a useful language.
 Smiley

Nobody speaks Fusha natively and the dialects aren't mutually intelligible.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:46:05 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »

it's a useful language.
 Smiley

Nobody speaks Fusha natively and the dialects aren't mutually intelligable.

Is that a single language anymore in any meaningful sense?

Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »

52 years old
I have a wife and three children (male)
Born in Germany
Raised Lutheran (LCMS and WELS)
Converted to Orthodoxy.
Reader in the Serbian Orthodox Church
Trained to work on aircraft (FAA A&P License)
Worked most of my life in nuclear power plants
Currently re-assigned to Reliability Engineering after a 10 year vacation as a Nuclear Planner
Main hobby is playing World of Tanks
Secondary hobby is my recent building of a Walther P38 pistol out of both WWII and post war spare parts

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2013, 08:08:43 PM »

52 years old
I have a wife and three children (male)
Born in Germany
Raised Lutheran (LCMS and WELS)
Converted to Orthodoxy.
Reader in the Serbian Orthodox Church
Trained to work on aircraft (FAA A&P License)
Worked most of my life in nuclear power plants
Currently re-assigned to Reliability Engineering after a 10 year vacation as a Nuclear Planner
Main hobby is playing World of Tanks
Secondary hobby is my recent building of a Walther P38 pistol out of both WWII and post war spare parts

The only post I read in this whole thread. People, learn the importance of formatting!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »

Or that reading Punch's posts never get old. I still love his detailed story(ies) in the nuclear plant. I never can look at nuclear energy the same way again.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ByzantineReformed

Faith: Reformed Christianity
Jurisdiction: Presbyterian Church in America

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »

Hi all,

I'm a Reformed Christian of Greek ancestry, 34 yrs old, father of four and a fifth on the way.

Not trying to convert anyone or be converted.  I have a great respect for Eastern Christianity and LOVE the liturgy and architecture.

I'm continuing to pray for the unity of the Orthodox churches in America and as an amateur church historian I hope to see it - and the Great and Holy Council - in my lifetime.  (Heck, conservative Calvinists need to work on our own unity too...)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »

Didn't see this thread earlier.

Justin. 34. Citizen of PA. I enjoy laughing at dumb jokes, repeatedly cycling through interests/hobbies, and being scatterbrained.

I became Orthodox in 2001. At the moment I am in skeptics anonymous and working on step 8 (go to church!).

As for my posting here: I do too much of it, I give out too much personal information, and many would argue that I am too jokey (actually I think I'm one of the most serious people here, but that's another thread)

Let's see... what else. Oh, the dating thread. 90% of what I write in there is fiction. However, every once in a while a post is completely accurate and real-to-life, and even in the fictional posts I often use my real life experiences or desires as a starting point.

I hold grudges. I pretend like I don't, and sometimes I don't, but then I get in a bad mood and remember that mean thing you said 8 years ago (or whatever).

This is getting long.

Why am I writing like this?

Maybe because people like lists much more than a single block/paragraph of information?

I don't know.

Well anyway...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:32:18 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »

I'm a Reformed Christian of Greek ancestry, 34 yrs old, father of four and a fifth on the way.

Welcome Smiley

I would say congratulations on the upcoming birth... but I think with that many you probably need prayers more than congrats  Grin
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2013, 04:51:48 PM »

I'm from the north east
I am the Orthodox-Catholic moderator
I joined the Orthodox church from the Greek Catholic Church quite some time ago
I like the colour blue

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »

Okay, I'll bite.

I'm 41. I was born in Greece, raised Orthodox, spent several years teaching languages and several more doing CS for a major branch of public transport, then moved to the UK and proceeded to marry and have a son.

I'm not gainfully employed currently, but keeping house and acting as PA to my son are busy business... and that's without even factoring in my numerous writing projects. I'm training on-and-off to be a proofreader and copyeditor.

I enjoy literature in all its forms, movies, music (both quite eclectically), cats, yoga, several dance disciplines, pen-and-paper RPGs, and learning foreign languages. Not necessarily in that order.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2013, 10:38:37 PM »

My name is Laird. 18. I am a Canadian/Bermudian from Bermuda.

I am in college studying business/insurance.

I like playing squash and frisbee, reading, and foreign languages.

I am Baptist.

"Do not deceive yourself with idle hopes that in the world to come you will find life if you have not tried to find it in this present world." - Theophanis the Monk

*Taking a break from this forum to sort out my spiritual life and to start taking school and other stuff seriously
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »

Canadian/Bermudian...there's a combination you don't see every day.  Smiley 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
smokeala

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »

There is no need for introductions. I am only ether evaporating into smoke.
Laird
Elder

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2013, 12:16:13 AM »

especially when you don't know what the heck is Bermudian or Bermuda  Cheesy  ... im assuming

"Do not deceive yourself with idle hopes that in the world to come you will find life if you have not tried to find it in this present world." - Theophanis the Monk

*Taking a break from this forum to sort out my spiritual life and to start taking school and other stuff seriously
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2013, 12:18:04 AM »

especially when you don't know what the heck is Bermudian or Bermuda  Cheesy  ... im assuming

We know about the Triangle. Did you materialized from there?

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Laird
Elder

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2013, 01:43:39 AM »

We know about the Triangle. Did you materialized from there?

Yep

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »

Oh heck why not!  Tongue

I'm David, I'm 19 and I'm from Kansas I'm a Psychology/social work student and also a cashier at a local grocery store. I converted to Orthodoxy from Roman Catholicism in 2010. I eventually plan(God willing!) on attending seminary. My hobbies include reading, writing, baking, camping and theater as well as being a compete and utter duffus at times  Grin

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
crazyms

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »

Hi! I'm new here and to Orthodoxy in general. I'm a southern married 27 year old mother of 3. I started looking into Christianity again to hopefully find a denomination I could deal with at the request of my 6 year old son wanting to go to church. I found Orthodoxy and finally found it. I am excited to find a local church to get involved with soon. I spend my time crafting, cooking, shooting, and a number of other things but mostly chasing after kids. I'm glad to have found this forum as I learn more and transition my family into our new religion.
Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: The Old Belief, as it were
Jurisdiction: Betwixt a "Rock" and familiarity

IN THIS, CONQUER!

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »

Hi! I'm new here and to Orthodoxy in general. I'm a southern married 27 year old mother of 3. I started looking into Christianity again to hopefully find a denomination I could deal with at the request of my 6 year old son wanting to go to church. I found Orthodoxy and finally found it. I am excited to find a local church to get involved with soon. I spend my time crafting, cooking, shooting, and a number of other things but mostly chasing after kids. I'm glad to have found this forum as I learn more and transition my family into our new religion.

That's an interesting way of getting here.

It's a nice change of pace.

Quote from: The Excess of Blessed Constantine's Pious Concern
For while the people of God, whose fellow servant I am, are thus divided amongst themselves by an unreasonable and pernicious spirit of contention, how is it possible that I shall be able to maintain tranquility of mind?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »

Welcome to the forum, crazyms Smiley
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 10:51:16 PM »

Welcome to the forum! Smiley

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2013, 06:18:47 AM »

I hadn't noticed this thread previously and I'm glad Michal initiated it.

My name is Neil - no surprise to anyone who's ever read my posts, which I almost always sign.

I live in Massachusetts, am older than I care to remember, divorced, proud dad to 5 biological and 2 stepchildren - 4 girls/3 boys, aged 37 to 10 (yeah, really  Roll Eyes  ), and grandpa to a little guy who's 9 months old. I've been Melkite for 4 decades and sometimes accused of being too accepting of the differences between/among our Churches, but I'm passionate in believing God's will is that they unite, though it won't happen in my lifetime.  

Most of my on-line time is in the wee hours, after coming home from work at a federal agency (that shall go unnamed, so as to reduce the brickbats thrown at me).  I post heavily at ByzCath, where I'm a long-time member and Global Mod; I've been a member here for many years also, though I post less frequently. Virtual though they are, I treasure many o/l friendships that I've forged at the 2 sites.

"Iinformation-mongeror' well describes my preferred o/l role. Few threads are as attractive to me as one that delves into arcane minutiae about Churches and denominations - mainstream EO/EC/OO/OC obviously, but also the more esoteric bodies such as Old Ritualists, Anabaptist and Utopian sects, and vagante (a particular interest, on which I can wax eloquent to the point of being soporific).

I'm a bibliophile with interests focused on history, biography, classical lit (broadly defined), folklore/fantasy, children's lit, and the literature of oppression. A snob when it comes to proper use of language, style manuals hold places of honor on my shelves. Folk music, genealogy, liqueur, photography, philately, depression glass, and model trains round out my interests - a list that, looking at it, is probably telling as to my age.

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:47:16 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »

it's a useful language.
 Smiley

Nobody speaks Fusha natively and the dialects aren't mutually intelligable.

Is that a single language anymore in any meaningful sense?
Yes.

btw, my sons learned to speak fuSHa natively.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »

well done!
 Smiley

is there an orthodox approved version of the Bible in arabic available yet?
i want to combine my hobbies by reading the Bible in arabic in public places...
 Wink
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2013, 06:36:23 PM »

i want to combine my hobbies by reading the Bible in arabic in public places...
 Wink

That reminds me of how I've had some random Arabic Orthodox chant as my ringtone. Maybe I should do it again. I'd love to see face of some immigrants when they realize that a) a non-Muslim Finn has Arabic chant as ringtone b) a non-Muslim Finn has Christian Arabic chant as ringtone.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2013, 07:22:18 AM »

please do, then we can change the world together!
 Wink
i have this as my ring tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHJRpdElV8U
('you are the Lord of assistance')

for my work phone i have gone more inclusive and have a popular bollywood song (don't know what it is called, got it from a friend with the arabic name 'guitar'!)
bollywood is almost mainstream in uk!
Jude1:3

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: USA

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »

Hi Friends,

I'm new to the board. I came across this forum after looking into Orthodoxy. I want to give you a little background on my journey so far:

I was raised in a small town Baptist Church. I had never even heard of Orthodoxy until about 3-4 years ago when I started researching Church History and Apologetics. All we had in my small town was Catholic, Mormon, First Baptist, Southern Baptist, Methodist and a very very small percentage of Charismatic home type of Churches.

After high school I began checking out different Churches. I attended an Assemblies of God Church for almost 2 years. It was polar opposite of the Baptist Church I grew up in, but the members of the Assemblies of God Church seemed to have more zealousness then most of the people I attended church with at the Baptist Church. The negative side to the Assemblies of God Church was that it just seemed Chaotic and strange sometimes. Lots of Emotion just for the sake of emotion. Almost as if they had to conjure up the moving of The Holy Ghost . It's kind of hard to explain. Everyone would pray in Tongues all at the same time.

Another negative aspect was that they would always make you doubt your salvation and have an alter call like every Sunday. I found out later that the Arminian, Wesleyan theology, had a lot to do with that. I just knew there was just something not right about the Church but I couldn't really explain it.

I've attended Calvary Chapels now for a couple of years now off and on. It's hard to explain but I just know something is not right. Now, I know that there are many people Who truly Love The Lord Jesus Christ in Calvary Chapels, but I honestly think there are some wolves hanging out in that Church.

I started trying to study Apologetics, because I wanted to know what and why I believe what I do. I also started studying Church History. That is what lead me to research Orthodoxy. I work with some Coptic Orthodox from Egypt also and they are great people. I have a Kinship with them and I honestly believe it's because of The Holy Spirit of God.

From what I've learned about Orthodoxy it has given me a great respect for you guys. My main desire is to return to the most ancient form of Christianity 100%. I am SOOO Disgusted with modern Christianity where you walk in to a mega church and they have a Starbucks/Gift Shop ready for your cash. Maybe The Lord is calling me out of Protestantism and into Orthodoxy.

I wanted to join this board so I could learn more and ask questions I have been wrestling with lately. I'm a member of Carm Forums and I've posted a few times in the Orthodox section.   

P.S. My AV Picture is of Fedor Emelianenko . He is an MMA fighter and Russian Orthodox.

Thank You Very Much and I look forward to discussion.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »

Cool, a thread where we get to talk about ourselves!!!  laugh

My name is Chris and I am a 32 year-old high school administrator. I majored in math for my undergraduate degree, and started teaching soon after graduation. I have been in education ever since.

I recently completed my M.A. in philosophy at a Catholic liberal arts college, and I soon plan to apply to a doctoral program. When I grow up I want to be a philosophy professor.  Smiley

I am the oldest of six siblings, and I come a very interesting Catholic family. We are very proud of our Hispanic heritage and we love Red Chile (not chili) poured all over our food.

I'm in love with all things Byzantine, and I am currently in the process of transitions from the Latin Church to the Ruthenian (Byzantine) Catholic Church.

Personality? Silly, off-beat, nerdy, out-going (in most situations), love to be around friends and family, but paradoxically, truly an introvert underneath it all.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Syriac.Aramaic

Faith: Christian Syriac Orthodox

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2014, 12:54:36 PM »

Didn't see this thread earlier, and because i love this forum and i will probably spend more time here, i take the chance to introduce me self.

Im at the age of 17.
Studying jurisprudence.
Born in Sweden, but i'm not swede, my parents are from the Christian parts of turkey, and they immigrated to sweden because of harassment by the muslims in Turkey.

Born and raise in strict syriac orthodox manners, and are growing religious every day that pass by.

My dream is to be a monk.

PS, Notice that i'm probably the youngest on this forum hehe.

Rejoice in the joy of our god.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »

schlomo!
welcome  Smiley
our churches are good friends. your church gave us loads of things like patriarchs, monks, ninevah's fast etc.
we even have a monastery in egypt called the syrian monastery! (deir al suriani)
may God bless and protect your patriarch, bishops (especially those who suffer captivity, the antiochian one and the syriac one), other clergy, laity and you!

may God guide u in your life and give you lots of patience as you dream about the future.
 Smiley
(mabsoota is the female version of the word 'happy' in egyptian arabic)
Syriac.Aramaic

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2014, 05:30:12 PM »

schlomo!
welcome  Smiley
our churches are good friends. your church gave us loads of things like patriarchs, monks, ninevah's fast etc.
we even have a monastery in egypt called the syrian monastery! (deir al suriani)
may God bless and protect your patriarch, bishops (especially those who suffer captivity, the antiochian one and the syriac one), other clergy, laity and you!

may God guide u in your life and give you lots of patience as you dream about the future.
 Smiley
(mabsoota is the female version of the word 'happy' in egyptian arabic)
Besheino!
Thanks for the welcoming, and of course our churches is very good friends, as so with the people of the coptic church.
And yes our church has a great history and has contributed many things to Christianity. Also the Syriac/Aramaic language that was spoken by Jesus Christ him self.
The monastery is well aware, also the situation for the Christians in Egypt. We have u always in our prayers together with our brothers and sister in Syria.
Thanks for your kind words my loved friend, and may god protect the Christan's of Egypt. I heard that any activity of the Muslim brotherhood is no longer allowed which is great.

God bless you.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »

Välkommen, Syriac.Aramaic! Glad to see more people living in Scandinavia here. I'm a Finnish Orthodox Christian. I'd love to  visit a Syriac church at some point. There aren't in here as Finland has much fewer OO immigrants than Sweden has.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:58:01 PM by Alpo » Logged

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »

Current occupations: Ski and snowboard technician, junior and intermediate art teacher (subbing right now), musician, song-writer.
Sports: Habs/Chargers/Clippers/Roughriders fan.
Nationality: Canadian.
Heritage: Mostly German, and a bit of Irish/Scottish/English, Dutch, and Romanian.
Bad habits: Thinking and drinking too much.
Family: Husband to a beautiful wife and father to a rowdy and athletic three-year-old son.
Meyers-Briggs: INFP
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:50:57 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Syriac.Aramaic

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:44 AM »

Välkommen, Syriac.Aramaic! Glad to see more people living in Scandinavia here. I'm a Finnish Orthodox Christian. I'd love to  visit a Syriac church at some point. There aren't in here as Finland has much fewer OO immigrants than Sweden has.
Tack!
Ur always welcomed in our church, when you visit sweden, then u surly need to visit one of our churches. We have many here around the country.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2014, 10:49:04 AM »

Just a old guy who forgot his password, not much posting just alot of thinking and observing the younger folk...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »

Just a old guy who forgot his password, not much posting just alot of thinking and observing the younger folk...

Good to see you again, old buddy. Glad you found your password.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Patapouf

Jurisdiction: none

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2014, 05:05:30 PM »

Hello my name is John I'm 50 years old and I'm from Portugal. 'm Orthodox but not belong to any jurisdiction. I often joke that I'm an Orthodox vacant. Glad to see that increasingly the Orthodox faith will be spreading throughout the world and increasingly, young people are interested in matters of faith.
My compliments to all and God bless us.
Ps: I read and speak English but writing is more difficult, so excuse the Google translator.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »

Hello my name is John I'm 50 years old and I'm from Portugal. 'm Orthodox but not belong to any jurisdiction. I often joke that I'm an Orthodox vacant. Glad to see that increasingly the Orthodox faith will be spreading throughout the world and increasingly, young people are interested in matters of faith.
My compliments to all and God bless us.
Ps: I read and speak English but writing is more difficult, so excuse the Google translator.

Welcome Patapouf! We have a Portuguese Language sub-forum as well!

Bem-vindo Patapouf! Também temos um sub-fórum de língua portuguesa!

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Ferd Berfel

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2014, 02:05:17 AM »

Hello. I've posted a couple of times, but I missed this thread until now. My name is John.

I'm a recent convert to Orthodoxy; previously, I worked in a protestant church as an associate pastor. My journey from there to here is a rather long story, but what's important is that I'm home.

I'm a twisty puzzle collector; in my avatar is a picture of me with my 11x11x11 Rubik's cube.

I work in a substance abuse detox facility, primarily with alcoholics, but I've also dealt with hard drugs like meth and heroin.

I enjoy heavy metal music; I write and record my own music and always enjoy finding new bands to listen to.

I'm also an avid chilihead; hot sauces and hot peppers are an absolute necessity for my diet.

So there you have it. Nice to meet you all. Smiley
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2014, 09:56:09 AM »

I'm also an avid chilihead; hot sauces and hot peppers are an absolute necessity for my diet.

Oh blessed of the Father, enter into the joy of your Lord even before you enter into the joy of your Lord.

Ferd Berfel

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »

Oh blessed of the Father, enter into the joy of your Lord even before you enter into the joy of your Lord.

I don't even know what you mean by this, but it made me laugh  laugh
Syriac.Aramaic

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »

Hello. I've posted a couple of times, but I missed this thread until now. My name is John.

I'm a recent convert to Orthodoxy; previously, I worked in a protestant church as an associate pastor. My journey from there to here is a rather long story, but what's important is that I'm home.

I'm a twisty puzzle collector; in my avatar is a picture of me with my 11x11x11 Rubik's cube.

I work in a substance abuse detox facility, primarily with alcoholics, but I've also dealt with hard drugs like meth and heroin.

I enjoy heavy metal music; I write and record my own music and always enjoy finding new bands to listen to.

So there you have it. Nice to meet you all. Smiley

Welcome ! God bless, love to read that you have find your settlement in orthodoxy.
Could you in any way post your convert story?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:01:46 PM by Syriac.Aramaic » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »

I like you, that's all.  It's a good thing.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

Ferd Berfel

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2014, 02:13:16 AM »

I like you, that's all.  It's a good thing.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

Alrighty then, I like you too. Smiley

Welcome ! God bless, love to read that you have find your settlement in orthodoxy.
Could you in any way post your convert story?

I'd be happy to, but I fear that it's really not all that exciting. It has a lot more to do with my Protestant background as a minister, and I feel that I'm rather new to Orthodoxy to be seriously testimonializing yet. Still, if there's some curiosity, I'd be happy to share.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: