OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 10:44:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction thread for new and old members  (Read 7877 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: October 22, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »

This is a thread when new (and old users) can introduce themselves to the forum.

I am 23. I study Robotics. I am a Belarusian from Poland.

It can be stuck or whatever.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 05:55:50 PM »

I'm surprised that there wasn't a thread like this before.  Oh well.

I'm 19 years old, study Classics and I'm a Dutchman from the Netherlands.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:40:35 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »

I'm Achronos (Alex), OC.net's attention whore par excellence.

I am 25.

My current job I am afforded the luxury of sitting in a cubicle all day sorting through Excel cells while risking my company thousands of dollars daily.

I just moved to Pittsburgh PA back in May, more so for spiritual reasons.

I like to think I am an artist when I want to be. My mind is always thinking creatively, I love painting, photography, graphic design, music, writing, literature, etc.

I went to school for 2 years, got seriously disillusioned with it and also was in a toxic relationship that almost ended in marriage (maybe a bullet later on).

I have on and off depression about my future, know exactly what I want to do but worried about not financially making ends meet if I was to do some art fulltime. I know I have the talents and skills to be successful and hope one day I will be recognized for them.

I post on online message boards because I can still socialize and talk with people about subjects that interest me, because it's difficult to have those random encounters with people that like the same stuff I do, so message boards are a good outlet for me to get out what's on my mind.

Everyday I want to learn something new or gain some wisdom. I never want to stop being competitive with other people, and I don't accept mediocrity of myself which is why I am a perfectionist. Anything someone can do, I will work hard to do better than them.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:23:53 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 01:00:32 PM »

nice to hear more about u all.
i am mabsoota (happy) and my hobbies are going to church and reading arabic books in public places.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »

my hobbies are...reading arabic books in public places.

LOL. 

I can't read Arabic, but after 9-11, I got annoyed at all the strange looks I'd get just for being brown while downtown, so I'd buy an Arabic newspaper and look at it while drinking coffee at a cafe.  A lot of fun can be had for very little money if you're creative.   

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »

I'm age 34.  I work in insurance doing litigation management and settlement negotiation of injury claims.

I am married and have two darling daughters.

Hobbies include miniature wargaming, computer games and watching (American) football.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:04:13 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 01:40:28 PM »

Hello, Greetings from Texas
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »

Oh well.

I'm a Finn and twentysomething. I study comparative religion but at the moment I'm working for my civilian service in a state office. I'm hoping to get hired there also after my service is finished.

I spend too much time on internet and dream of having a dog, studying arabic and moving abroad.

Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 02:08:19 PM »

I am in my early 30s.  I teach social studies in a public high school.  I live in the broader Four Corners region of the Southwestern United States.  I am originally from the Midwest.  I was raised in a rather conservative household.  I was raised a Calvinist in the Dutch Reformed tradition.  I am a committed member of a Protestant congregation.  I study Orthodoxy in my free time.  I own the books even a pious cradle Orthodox would never read and it doesn't do me much good.  I am married with no children.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:08:40 PM by Hinterlander » Logged
Nektarios_In_E.S.

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church Diocese of Buenos Aires, Central and South America

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 02:12:57 PM »

My name's Fred.  I work in sales for a Title Insurance company.

I love and "do" art and am a huge fan of the humanities.  I'm a big jazz music fan and sports fan (baseball, football (soccer), college football, hockey and basketball). I'm also an avid reader and have a nice collection, relatively speaking.

I speak Spanish (since I'm Hispanic from Central America), some Italian, French and am learning Greek (very slowly).

I went from Roman Catholicism, to Gnosticism, to "nothingism", back to Roman Catholicism, Eastern Catholicism and finally home to the Holy Orthodox Church.  There is nothing, and I truly mean, nothing like Orthodoxy.  Having studied philosophy, Roman Catholic Theology and Gnosticism, I can safely say that there is nothing like Orthodox Christian Theology: It is THE TRUTH!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 02:13:30 PM »

My name's Fred.  I work in sales for a Title Insurance company.

I love and "do" art and am a huge fan of the humanities.  I'm a big jazz music fan and sports fan (baseball, football (soccer), college football, hockey and basketball). I'm also an avid reader and have a nice collection, relatively speaking.

I speak Spanish (since I'm Hispanic from Central America), some Italian, French and am learning Greek (very slowly).

I went from Roman Catholicism, to Gnosticism, to "nothingism", back to Roman Catholicism, Eastern Catholicism and finally home to the Holy Orthodox Church.  There is nothing, and I truly mean, nothing like Orthodoxy.  Having studied philosophy, Roman Catholic Theology and Gnosticism, I can safely say that there is nothing like Orthodox Christian Theology: It is THE TRUTH!
Do you mind if I send you a PM?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 02:14:45 PM »

You young whippersnappers, never you mind how old I am!

I live in the South in Atlanta, GA with my husband, my mother and an Australian Shepherd who has done a great job of training all of us to give her dog snacks on demand.

I work for a church organization, writing and editing. For which I make very little money, but I like it a lot.

My husband runs a food program for the homeless, and is active in prison ministry (he makes even less than I do!)

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Nektarios_In_E.S.

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church Diocese of Buenos Aires, Central and South America

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 04:33:30 PM »

Do you mind if I send you a PM?

Go for it dude!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:34:37 PM by Nektarios_In_E.S. » Logged
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »

my hobbies are (...) reading arabic books in public places.

That's what's supposed to be my hobby now. But even worse: I should read them aloud. Because this academic year I finally started the Arabic Studies at Warsaw University. And I have problems with some sounds and, more, with nice linking of the words, as it has to be; I don't have probelms with recognizing the letters, as I've been writting and reading (slowly, with vocalisation) Arabic for a few years.

Anyway: my name is obvious, my father is Serbian and the mother is Polish (Roman Catholic). I came back to the faith of my fathers almost 2 years ago. I'm 22 and live in Poland. Probably my writting style and appearance look serious, but I'm not such person Wink

There are many things I love (handsome men, my friends, chocolate, kebab, wine, rakija, old cartoons, dancing in a way I feel the music, byzantine and Oriental Orthodox chants, sometimes being in the centre of attention, Lost Tv series, travelling, writting, speaking and gesticulating too much, the district I live in Warsaw etc. etc.)
and few things I hate (too much shorten services and lack of their proper order - I mean the scheduling, concerts during Divine Liturgy, ignorance in regard with Orthodoxy and Christians from Arab speaking countries, sayings that Kosovo is not Serbian, parties without dancing, sermons in Russian Polish Orthodox Church - fortunately they're very rare in my parish, and such stuff).

Oh, and I'm a single. And don't want to be a nun.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 12:22:12 PM »

There are many things I love (handsome men...)

Wink

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 12:45:48 PM »

I'm warning you again. The march of desperate Orthodox single men is on the way.

biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 12:56:21 PM »

My name's Donna. I am 40 and I work in customer service. I'm originally from Queens, New York.

I like art, music and hockey.  Smiley

Not posting
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »

My name is Jeremy. I am significantly older than some of you and probably significantly younger than others. I am a recent convert to Orthodoxy from Roman Catholicism. I live in the desert southwest of the United States, where I work through the local university designing and grading exams for Linguistics courses that are taught there, since that's what my degree is in (Linguistics, not exam design). I don't have a fancy ethnic or national background like the rest of you, so I'm not sure what else I should write.

Oh, in addition to English, I speak Spanish more-or-less natively (since age 4 or so; my grandmother came to this country from Mexico and eventually married a white guy, so she never taught my dad or his brother, but she taught me...different attitudes for different times, I guess), as well as a little Russian (6-7 years of study in and out of classrooms; I've forgotten a lot since then, though), Arabic (1 year classroom instruction + naturalistic learning via church, though not as much as you might think since 80% of our liturgy is in English here; I can give the responses and follow along with everything, but don't ask me for anything extemporaneous!), plus bits and pieces of a few other languages I guess I can technically say I've studied for work or in the process of getting my degree (Coptic, Lithuanian, Amharic, etc).

I like pugs, sleep, and non-fasting food. Embarrassed Currently I have none of these things. Life can be difficult.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »

I don't have a fancy ethnic or national background like the rest of you
since age 4 or so; my grandmother came to this country from Mexico and eventually married a white guy

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 02:43:34 PM »

That is not fancy at all. That's the majority of this city. It's not quite like being Belarusian in Poland. Smiley

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »

That is not fancy at all. That's the majority of this city. It's not quite like being Belarusian in Poland. Smiley

Dude, even generic White American is an exotic ethnicity. Combining it with other ethnicities and/or culture takes it to a whole another level.

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »

I don't really understand what you mean, but it's a subject for another thread anyway. I only wrote that because I didn't know what else to write and somebody in this thread mentioned how they speak Spanish. There aren't very many Spanish-speaking Orthodox (though there are more than there used to be thanks to the newer churches in Mexico, Bolivia, Guatemala, etc.), so I figured I should come out and identify myself as one too. Undecided

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 02:56:30 PM »

we think u are cool!
 Smiley
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 02:57:46 PM »

we think u are cool!
 Smiley

At least I do  Smiley

-Samuel Coleridge
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 03:00:55 PM »

I don't really understand what you mean, but it's a subject for another thread anyway.

I'm a Finn and I live in Finland. Not much White Americans or Mexican-Americans here. Hence the exotics.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »

but your country is awesomely beautiful and your language sounds like angels laughing.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 03:08:50 PM »

but your country is awesomely beautiful and your language sounds like angels laughing.

Why thank you. Have you been here? Smiley

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »

no, saw lots of photos. it's on my list, but i need to go back to africa 1st
 Smiley
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »

As much as I hate to disagree with Mabsoota about anything (after all, she's no doubt right about this), I cannot separate the sound of spoken Finnish from my childhood memories of my mother's Finnish best friend yelling at her children in her native language whenever they did something wrong and she wanted to scold them in front of company (us) without us knowing what she was actually saying. I understand the logic at work, but that really doesn't make it any less awkward. Finnish, the language and the tiny but fiery women who yell it, is just plain scary.

Too funny not to edit to include: Going around the nerdy/language side of the internet is the following fake IM "chat" between Finnish and other languages of Europe.

What do you mean Finnish is difficult?

English: A dog
    Swedish: What
    English: The dog
    English: Two dogs
    Swedish:
    Swedish:
    Swedish: En hund, hunden
    Swedish: Två hundar, hundarna
    German:
    English: No, go away
    Swedish: No one invited you
    German: Der Hund
    English: I said go away
    German: Ein Hund, zwei Hunde
    Swedish: Stop it
    German: Den Hund, einen Hund, dem Hund, einem Hund, des Hundes, eines Hundes, den Hunden, der Hunden
    Finnish: Sup
    English: NO
    Swedish: NO
    German: NO
    Finnish:
    English:
    German:
    Swedish:
    Finnish: Koira, koiran, koiraa, koiran again, koirassa, koirasta, koiraan, koiralla, koiralta, koiralle, koirana, koiraksi, koiratta, koirineen, koirin
    German:
    Swedish:
    Finnish:
    English:
    Finnish: Aaaand... koirasi, koirani, koiransa, koiramme, koiranne, koiraani, koiraasi, koiraansa, koiraamme, koiraanne, koirassani, koirassasi, koirassansa, koirassamme, koirassanne, koirastani, koirastasi, koirastansa, koirastamme, koirastanne, koirallani, koirallasi, koirallansa, koirallamme, koirallanne, koiranani, koiranasi, koiranansa, koiranamme, koirananne, koirakseni, koiraksesi, koiraksensa, koiraksemme, koiraksenne, koirattani, koirattasi, koirattansa, koirattamme, koirattanne, koirineni, koirinesi, koirinensa, koirinemme, koirinenne
    English:
    Swedish:
    German:
    Finnish: Wait! then theres koirakaan, koirankaan, koiraakaan, koirassakaan, koirastakaan, koiraankaan, koirallakaan, koiraltakaan, koirallekaan, koiranakaan, koiraksikaan, koirattakaan, koirineenkaan, koirinkaan, koirako, koiranko, koiraako, koirassako, koirastako, koiraanko, koirallako, koiraltako, koiralleko, koiranako, koiraksiko, koirattako, koirineenko, koirinko, koirasikaan, koiranikaan, koiransakaan, koirammekaan, koirannekaan, koiraanikaan, koiraasikaan, koiraansakaan, koiraammekaan, koiraannekaan, koirassanikaan, koirassasikaan, koirassansakaan, koirassammekaan, koirassannekaan, koirastanikaan, koirastasikaan, koirastansakaan, koirastammekaan, koirastannekaan, koirallanikaan, koirallasikaan, koirallansakaan, koirallammekaan, koirallannekaan, koirananikaan, koiranasikaan, koiranansakaan, koiranammekaan, koiranannekaan, koiraksenikaan, koiraksesikaan, koiraksensakaan, koiraksemmekaan, koiraksennekaan, koirattanikaan, koirattasikaan, koirattansakaan, koirattammekaan, koirattannekaan, koirinenikaan, koirinesikaan, koirinensakaan, koirinemmekaan, koirinennekaan, koirasiko, koiraniko, koiransako, koirammeko, koiranneko, koiraaniko, koiraasiko, koiraansako, koiraammeko, koiraanneko, koirassaniko, koirassasiko, koirassansako, koirassammeko, koirassanneko, koirastaniko, koirastasiko, koirastansako, koirastammeko, koirastanneko, koirallaniko, koirallasiko, koirallansako, koirallammeko, koirallanneko, koirananiko, koiranasiko, koiranansako, koiranammeko, koirananneko, koirakseniko, koiraksesiko, koiraksensako, koiraksemmeko, koiraksenneko, koirattaniko, koirattasiko, koirattansako, koirattammeko, koirattanneko, koirineniko, koirinesiko, koirinensako, koirinemmeko, koirinenneko, koirasikaanko, koiranikaanko, koiransakaanko, koirammekaanko, koirannekaanko, koiraanikaanko, koiraasikaanko, koiraansakaanko, koiraammekaanko, koiraannekaanko, koirassanikaanko, koirassasikaanko, koirassansakaanko, koirassammekaanko, koirassannekaanko, koirastanikaanko, koirastasikaanko, koirastansakaanko, koirastammekaanko, koirastannekaanko, koirallanikaanko, koirallasikaanko, koirallansakaanko, koirallammekaanko, koirallannekaanko, koirananikaanko, koiranasikaanko, koiranansakaanko, koiranammekaanko, koiranannekaanko, koiraksenikaanko, koiraksesikaanko, koiraksensakaanko, koiraksemmekaanko, koiraksennekaanko, koirattanikaanko, koirattasikaanko, koirattansakaanko, koirattammekaanko, koirattannekaanko, koirinenikaanko, koirinesikaanko, koirinensakaanko, koirinemmekaanko, koirinennekaanko, koirasikokaan, koiranikokaan, koiransakokaan, koirammekokaan, koirannekokaan, koiraanikokaan, koiraasikokaan, koiraansakokaan, koiraammekokaan, koiraannekokaan, koirassanikokaan, koirassasikokaan, koirassansakokaan, koirassammekokaan, koirassannekokaan, koirastanikokaan, koirastasikokaan, koirastansakokaan, koirastammekokaan, koirastannekokaan, koirallanikokaan, koirallasikokaan, koirallansakokaan, koirallammekokaan, koirallannekokaan, koirananikokaan, koiranasikokaan, koiranansakokaan, koiranammekokaan, koiranannekokaan, koiraksenikokaan, koiraksesikokaan, koiraksensakokaan, koiraksemmekokaan, koiraksennekokaan, koirattanikokaan, koirattasikokaan, koirattansakokaan, koirattammekokaan, koirattannekokaan, koirinenikokaan, koirinesikokaan, koirinensakokaan, koirinemmekokaan, koirinennekokaan
    Swedish:
    German:
    English: Okay, now you're just making things up!
    Finnish:
    Finnish: And now the plural forms...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:20:43 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 03:18:07 PM »

My name's Donna. I am 40 and I work in customer service. I'm originally from Queens, New York.

What kind of art?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »

What do you mean Finnish is difficult?

English: A dog
    Swedish: What
    English: The dog
    English: Two dogs
    Swedish:
    Swedish:
    Swedish: En hund, hunden
    Swedish: Två hundar, hundarna
    German:
    English: No, go away
    Swedish: No one invited you
    German: Der Hund
    English: I said go away
    German: Ein Hund, zwei Hunde
    Swedish: Stop it
    German: Den Hund, einen Hund, dem Hund, einem Hund, des Hundes, eines Hundes, den Hunden, der Hunden
    Finnish: Sup
    English: NO
    Swedish: NO
    German: NO
    Finnish:
    English:
    German:
    Swedish:
    Finnish: Koira, koiran, koiraa, koiran again, koirassa, koirasta, koiraan, koiralla, koiralta, koiralle, koirana, koiraksi, koiratta, koirineen, koirin
    German:
    Swedish:
    Finnish:
    English:
    Finnish: Aaaand... koirasi, koirani, koiransa, koiramme, koiranne, koiraani, koiraasi, koiraansa, koiraamme, koiraanne, koirassani, koirassasi, koirassansa, koirassamme, koirassanne, koirastani, koirastasi, koirastansa, koirastamme, koirastanne, koirallani, koirallasi, koirallansa, koirallamme, koirallanne, koiranani, koiranasi, koiranansa, koiranamme, koirananne, koirakseni, koiraksesi, koiraksensa, koiraksemme, koiraksenne, koirattani, koirattasi, koirattansa, koirattamme, koirattanne, koirineni, koirinesi, koirinensa, koirinemme, koirinenne
    English:
    Swedish:
    German:
    Finnish: Wait! then theres koirakaan, koirankaan, koiraakaan, koirassakaan, koirastakaan, koiraankaan, koirallakaan, koiraltakaan, koirallekaan, koiranakaan, koiraksikaan, koirattakaan, koirineenkaan, koirinkaan, koirako, koiranko, koiraako, koirassako, koirastako, koiraanko, koirallako, koiraltako, koiralleko, koiranako, koiraksiko, koirattako, koirineenko, koirinko, koirasikaan, koiranikaan, koiransakaan, koirammekaan, koirannekaan, koiraanikaan, koiraasikaan, koiraansakaan, koiraammekaan, koiraannekaan, koirassanikaan, koirassasikaan, koirassansakaan, koirassammekaan, koirassannekaan, koirastanikaan, koirastasikaan, koirastansakaan, koirastammekaan, koirastannekaan, koirallanikaan, koirallasikaan, koirallansakaan, koirallammekaan, koirallannekaan, koirananikaan, koiranasikaan, koiranansakaan, koiranammekaan, koiranannekaan, koiraksenikaan, koiraksesikaan, koiraksensakaan, koiraksemmekaan, koiraksennekaan, koirattanikaan, koirattasikaan, koirattansakaan, koirattammekaan, koirattannekaan, koirinenikaan, koirinesikaan, koirinensakaan, koirinemmekaan, koirinennekaan, koirasiko, koiraniko, koiransako, koirammeko, koiranneko, koiraaniko, koiraasiko, koiraansako, koiraammeko, koiraanneko, koirassaniko, koirassasiko, koirassansako, koirassammeko, koirassanneko, koirastaniko, koirastasiko, koirastansako, koirastammeko, koirastanneko, koirallaniko, koirallasiko, koirallansako, koirallammeko, koirallanneko, koirananiko, koiranasiko, koiranansako, koiranammeko, koirananneko, koirakseniko, koiraksesiko, koiraksensako, koiraksemmeko, koiraksenneko, koirattaniko, koirattasiko, koirattansako, koirattammeko, koirattanneko, koirineniko, koirinesiko, koirinensako, koirinemmeko, koirinenneko, koirasikaanko, koiranikaanko, koiransakaanko, koirammekaanko, koirannekaanko, koiraanikaanko, koiraasikaanko, koiraansakaanko, koiraammekaanko, koiraannekaanko, koirassanikaanko, koirassasikaanko, koirassansakaanko, koirassammekaanko, koirassannekaanko, koirastanikaanko, koirastasikaanko, koirastansakaanko, koirastammekaanko, koirastannekaanko, koirallanikaanko, koirallasikaanko, koirallansakaanko, koirallammekaanko, koirallannekaanko, koirananikaanko, koiranasikaanko, koiranansakaanko, koiranammekaanko, koiranannekaanko, koiraksenikaanko, koiraksesikaanko, koiraksensakaanko, koiraksemmekaanko, koiraksennekaanko, koirattanikaanko, koirattasikaanko, koirattansakaanko, koirattammekaanko, koirattannekaanko, koirinenikaanko, koirinesikaanko, koirinensakaanko, koirinemmekaanko, koirinennekaanko, koirasikokaan, koiranikokaan, koiransakokaan, koirammekokaan, koirannekokaan, koiraanikokaan, koiraasikokaan, koiraansakokaan, koiraammekokaan, koiraannekokaan, koirassanikokaan, koirassasikokaan, koirassansakokaan, koirassammekokaan, koirassannekokaan, koirastanikokaan, koirastasikokaan, koirastansakokaan, koirastammekokaan, koirastannekokaan, koirallanikokaan, koirallasikokaan, koirallansakokaan, koirallammekokaan, koirallannekokaan, koirananikokaan, koiranasikokaan, koiranansakokaan, koiranammekokaan, koiranannekokaan, koiraksenikokaan, koiraksesikokaan, koiraksensakokaan, koiraksemmekokaan, koiraksennekokaan, koirattanikokaan, koirattasikokaan, koirattansakokaan, koirattammekokaan, koirattannekokaan, koirinenikokaan, koirinesikokaan, koirinensakokaan, koirinemmekokaan, koirinennekokaan
    Swedish:
    German:
    English: Okay, now you're just making things up!
    Finnish:
    Finnish: And now the plural forms...

Thank you. Now you understand why I'll never learn how to use articles and prepositions properly. Cases are so much easier.

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 03:38:32 PM »

Tell that to the English-speaking student of Finnish. Tongue

biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »

What kind of art?

Contemporary and pop art. Smiley

Not posting
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »

What kind of art?

Contemporary and pop art. Smiley

"art"

Undecided

-Samuel Coleridge
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 03:55:29 PM »

Tell that to the English-speaking student of Finnish. Tongue

Well for starters nobody talks like that in the real world. That kind of lists are fairly artificially constructed. Also, people will undertand you despite possible mistakes with cases. You might get few smiles due to funny grammar but then again it's not that serious. Smiley

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »

My ancestors didn't move anywhere. Poland came to them.

Thank you. Now you understand why I'll never learn how to use articles and prepositions properly. Cases are so much easier.

How many have you got? 50?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 05:28:25 PM »

I'm 32 years old. I have taught in secondary schools for the past 9 years (1 year as a science teacher, and 8 as a math teacher).

I'm currently in my tenth year in education, working as a coordinator of a night school program, which includes both teaching and guidance counseling duties. This spring and summer, I will also be teaching dual credit courses: College success 101, and Logic and Reasoning (an intro philosophy course).

I am just about to finish my M.A. in Philosophy, that is, as long as my thesis is accepted in December. After that I will take Latin courses to prepare for the Latin competency exam. Additionally, I will be getting ready to take the GRE.

My long term goal is to earn a PhD in philosophy with an emphasis in the Catholic philosophical tradition, and I would eventually like to become a professor of philosophy at a Catholic university (hopefully not too pie-in-the-sky).

In the mean time, I will be applying to teach intro level philosophy courses at the local University and Community college.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »

How many have you got? 50?

Had too google this but apparently we have 15. It's just that we can combine them together. For example:

pöytä - table
pöydällä - on the table
pöydällänsä - on his/her table
pöydällänsäkään - not on his/her table either

etc.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:34:01 PM by Alpo » Logged

Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: Old Belief?
Jurisdiction: Antiochian?

"Петр [Мартюшев] говорит им: иду ловить рыбу."

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 05:51:58 AM »

Hello there,

I'm a 19-year-old Russian-American, born and raised in Johnson's Polar Bear Garden.

Currently, I'm unemployed, doing my college's General Education Requirements, and completely unsure of where my life is headed. If all else fails, I might just end up becoming a commercial fisherman like everyone else around me. I've already got a salmon permit headed my way and, considering that there is only ever some 700 of those particular ones floating around, they aren't exactly cheap.

primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 07:57:04 AM »

Well,
Im Henry and I'm a 34 yr old in Virginia and this is my 2nd year as a teacher. I teach Information Systems at my old high school. I was a network engineer who left the industry briefly and tried my hand at insurance. I ditched insurance after I realized it sucked.

I have quite a few hobbies. Cooking, fishing, reading, ancient history, I love cleaning, dating, and collecting ancient coins, Im a musician (jazz and blues bass mostly, but getting into ancient music), martial arts, wrestling (the real kind), soccer, paper and dice role playing games, and Im a huge video gamer.

PP
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:57:32 AM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 08:10:17 AM »

PP, yeah being a network engineer in the IT world is a nightmare. Its the fastest way to become an alcoholic.

Lol@insurance, what kind? Got a buddy who thinks its the gateway to the riches. I think he is with Farmers? Had to take a test, supposedly it was difficult.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 08:13:10 AM »

PP, yeah being a network engineer in the IT world is a nightmare. Its the fastest way to become an alcoholic
My unofficial hobby......I really like the sauce Smiley

Lol@insurance, what kind?
Life insurance & Annuities through Genworth (spits on ground).

Got a buddy who thinks its the gateway to the riches.
It is, for the slave masters  laugh

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 08:37:51 AM »

LOL what a coincidence, my company posted on their website this morning for Oct Job of Month is a Network Engineer.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Nektarios_In_E.S.

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2013, 10:33:14 AM »

That's what's supposed to be my hobby now. But even worse: I should read them aloud. Because this academic year I finally started the Arabic Studies at Warsaw University. And I have problems with some sounds and, more, with nice linking of the words, as it has to be; I don't have problems with recognizing the letters, as I've been writing and reading (slowly, with vocalization) Arabic for a few years.

Anyway: my name is obvious, my father is Serbian and the mother is Polish (Roman Catholic). I came back to the faith of my fathers almost 2 years ago. I'm 22 and live in Poland. Probably my writing style and appearance look serious, but I'm not such person Wink

and few things I hate (too much shorten services and lack of their proper order - I mean the scheduling, concerts during Divine Liturgy, ignorance in regard with Orthodoxy and Christians from Arab speaking countries, sayings that Kosovo is not Serbian

Why study arabic? Do you plan on visiting an arabic-speaking country in the future?

Serbian people are really cool! I'm actually very close to a Serbian family as great friends of mine.  They bring me cool things whenever they go back to Serbia like hats and t-shirts.  Grin

I also believe Kosovo is Serbian -no doubt!  This is something I studied about years ago as I am a big fan of history -in particular, ancient history.  Plus, it was one of my majors when I was in college.

Do arabic-speaking people tell you that Kosovo is not Serbian? You confused me when you wrote: "
and Christians from Arab speaking countries, sayings that Kosovo is not Serbian

I love your avatar as I adore the Byzantine two-headed eagle symbol. Since I also love drawing and painting, I drew that shield with pen but with a little variation of adding a sword by the cross and I put it up at my work.  I also wrote on it: "Само слога Србина спасава" -over the shield Wink
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »

Why study arabic? Do you plan on visiting an arabic-speaking country in the future?

I’ve been once in Egypt and once in Tunisia a few years ago (before these revolutions). Arabic and the culture, music and so on of Arabic-speaking areas have been my passion (hobby?) since the childhood. And after a few years of trying to get into these studies (it’s really difficult as there are only 15 places and I had problems with achieving a good result from one exam and that was not mine fault but it’s a long story) finally I managed to do it this summer Smiley

Serbian people are really cool! I'm actually very close to a Serbian family as great friends of mine.  They bring me cool things whenever they go back to Serbia like hats and t-shirts.  Grin

I also believe Kosovo is Serbian -no doubt!  This is something I studied about years ago as I am a big fan of history -in particular, ancient history.  Plus, it was one of my majors when I was in college.

Do arabic-speaking people tell you that Kosovo is not Serbian?

It’s great to hear that! Cheesy And yeah, we have some cool t-shirts with special slogans Wink And it’s cool you know some facts, even from college Wink

It was just an accidental order, some Poles (but not only) say such things.

I love your avatar as I adore the Byzantine two-headed eagle symbol. Since I also love drawing and painting, I drew that shield with pen but with a little variation of adding a sword by the cross and I put it up at my work.  I also wrote on it: "Само слога Србина спасава" -over the shield Wink

You know, some of the users can call you too much hyperdox or something like that Wink But I appreciate such works Wink I have similar saying, but rewritten by st. Nicholas Velimirovic, put one the doors to my room Wink (I don’t consider myself as a Serbian nationalist, really Wink)

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »

200 million people speak arabic.
it's a useful language.
 Smiley
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »

it's a useful language.
 Smiley

Nobody speaks Fusha natively and the dialects aren't mutually intelligible.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:46:05 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »

it's a useful language.
 Smiley

Nobody speaks Fusha natively and the dialects aren't mutually intelligable.

Is that a single language anymore in any meaningful sense?

Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »

52 years old
I have a wife and three children (male)
Born in Germany
Raised Lutheran (LCMS and WELS)
Converted to Orthodoxy.
Reader in the Serbian Orthodox Church
Trained to work on aircraft (FAA A&P License)
Worked most of my life in nuclear power plants
Currently re-assigned to Reliability Engineering after a 10 year vacation as a Nuclear Planner
Main hobby is playing World of Tanks
Secondary hobby is my recent building of a Walther P38 pistol out of both WWII and post war spare parts

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2013, 08:08:43 PM »

52 years old
I have a wife and three children (male)
Born in Germany
Raised Lutheran (LCMS and WELS)
Converted to Orthodoxy.
Reader in the Serbian Orthodox Church
Trained to work on aircraft (FAA A&P License)
Worked most of my life in nuclear power plants
Currently re-assigned to Reliability Engineering after a 10 year vacation as a Nuclear Planner
Main hobby is playing World of Tanks
Secondary hobby is my recent building of a Walther P38 pistol out of both WWII and post war spare parts

The only post I read in this whole thread. People, learn the importance of formatting!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »

Or that reading Punch's posts never get old. I still love his detailed story(ies) in the nuclear plant. I never can look at nuclear energy the same way again.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ByzantineReformed

Faith: Reformed Christianity
Jurisdiction: Presbyterian Church in America

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »

Hi all,

I'm a Reformed Christian of Greek ancestry, 34 yrs old, father of four and a fifth on the way.

Not trying to convert anyone or be converted.  I have a great respect for Eastern Christianity and LOVE the liturgy and architecture.

I'm continuing to pray for the unity of the Orthodox churches in America and as an amateur church historian I hope to see it - and the Great and Holy Council - in my lifetime.  (Heck, conservative Calvinists need to work on our own unity too...)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »

Didn't see this thread earlier.

Justin. 34. Citizen of PA. I enjoy laughing at dumb jokes, repeatedly cycling through interests/hobbies, and being scatterbrained.

I became Orthodox in 2001. At the moment I am in skeptics anonymous and working on step 8 (go to church!).

As for my posting here: I do too much of it, I give out too much personal information, and many would argue that I am too jokey (actually I think I'm one of the most serious people here, but that's another thread)

Let's see... what else. Oh, the dating thread. 90% of what I write in there is fiction. However, every once in a while a post is completely accurate and real-to-life, and even in the fictional posts I often use my real life experiences or desires as a starting point.

I hold grudges. I pretend like I don't, and sometimes I don't, but then I get in a bad mood and remember that mean thing you said 8 years ago (or whatever).

This is getting long.

Why am I writing like this?

Maybe because people like lists much more than a single block/paragraph of information?

I don't know.

Well anyway...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:32:18 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »

I'm a Reformed Christian of Greek ancestry, 34 yrs old, father of four and a fifth on the way.

Welcome Smiley

I would say congratulations on the upcoming birth... but I think with that many you probably need prayers more than congrats  Grin

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2013, 04:51:48 PM »

I'm from the north east
I am the Orthodox-Catholic moderator
I joined the Orthodox church from the Greek Catholic Church quite some time ago
I like the colour blue

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »

Okay, I'll bite.

I'm 41. I was born in Greece, raised Orthodox, spent several years teaching languages and several more doing CS for a major branch of public transport, then moved to the UK and proceeded to marry and have a son.

I'm not gainfully employed currently, but keeping house and acting as PA to my son are busy business... and that's without even factoring in my numerous writing projects. I'm training on-and-off to be a proofreader and copyeditor.

I enjoy literature in all its forms, movies, music (both quite eclectically), cats, yoga, several dance disciplines, pen-and-paper RPGs, and learning foreign languages. Not necessarily in that order.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox church
Elder

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2013, 10:38:37 PM »

My name is Laird. 18. I am a Canadian/Bermudian from Bermuda.

I am in college studying business/insurance.

I like playing squash and frisbee, reading, and foreign languages.

I am Baptist.

"Do not deceive yourself with idle hopes that in the world to come you will find life if you have not tried to find it in this present world." - Theophanis the Monk
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »

Canadian/Bermudian...there's a combination you don't see every day.  Smiley 

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

smokeala

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »

There is no need for introductions. I am only ether evaporating into smoke.
Laird
Elder

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2013, 12:16:13 AM »

especially when you don't know what the heck is Bermudian or Bermuda  Cheesy  ... im assuming

"Do not deceive yourself with idle hopes that in the world to come you will find life if you have not tried to find it in this present world." - Theophanis the Monk
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2013, 12:18:04 AM »

especially when you don't know what the heck is Bermudian or Bermuda  Cheesy  ... im assuming

We know about the Triangle. Did you materialized from there?

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Laird
Elder

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2013, 01:43:39 AM »

We know about the Triangle. Did you materialized from there?

Yep

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »

Oh heck why not!  Tongue

I'm David, I'm 19 and I'm from Kansas I'm a Psychology/social work student and also a cashier at a local grocery store. I converted to Orthodoxy from Roman Catholicism in 2010. I eventually plan(God willing!) on attending seminary. My hobbies include reading, writing, baking, camping and theater as well as being a compete and utter duffus at times  Grin

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
crazyms

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »

Hi! I'm new here and to Orthodoxy in general. I'm a southern married 27 year old mother of 3. I started looking into Christianity again to hopefully find a denomination I could deal with at the request of my 6 year old son wanting to go to church. I found Orthodoxy and finally found it. I am excited to find a local church to get involved with soon. I spend my time crafting, cooking, shooting, and a number of other things but mostly chasing after kids. I'm glad to have found this forum as I learn more and transition my family into our new religion.
Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: Old Belief?
Jurisdiction: Antiochian?

"Петр [Мартюшев] говорит им: иду ловить рыбу."

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »

Hi! I'm new here and to Orthodoxy in general. I'm a southern married 27 year old mother of 3. I started looking into Christianity again to hopefully find a denomination I could deal with at the request of my 6 year old son wanting to go to church. I found Orthodoxy and finally found it. I am excited to find a local church to get involved with soon. I spend my time crafting, cooking, shooting, and a number of other things but mostly chasing after kids. I'm glad to have found this forum as I learn more and transition my family into our new religion.

That's an interesting way of getting here.

It's a nice change of pace.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »

Welcome to the forum, crazyms Smiley

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 10:51:16 PM »

Welcome to the forum! Smiley

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2013, 06:18:47 AM »

I hadn't noticed this thread previously and I'm glad Michal initiated it.

My name is Neil - no surprise to anyone who's ever read my posts, which I almost always sign.

I live in Massachusetts, am older than I care to remember, divorced, proud dad to 5 biological and 2 stepchildren - 4 girls/3 boys, aged 37 to 10 (yeah, really  Roll Eyes  ), and grandpa to a little guy who's 9 months old. I've been Melkite for 4 decades and sometimes accused of being too accepting of the differences between/among our Churches, but I'm passionate in believing God's will is that they unite, though it won't happen in my lifetime.  

Most of my on-line time is in the wee hours, after coming home from work at a federal agency (that shall go unnamed, so as to reduce the brickbats thrown at me).  I post heavily at ByzCath, where I'm a long-time member and Global Mod; I've been a member here for many years also, though I post less frequently. Virtual though they are, I treasure many o/l friendships that I've forged at the 2 sites.

"Iinformation-mongeror' well describes my preferred o/l role. Few threads are as attractive to me as one that delves into arcane minutiae about Churches and denominations - mainstream EO/EC/OO/OC obviously, but also the more esoteric bodies such as Old Ritualists, Anabaptist and Utopian sects, and vagante (a particular interest, on which I can wax eloquent to the point of being soporific).

I'm a bibliophile with interests focused on history, biography, classical lit (broadly defined), folklore/fantasy, children's lit, and the literature of oppression. A snob when it comes to proper use of language, style manuals hold places of honor on my shelves. Folk music, genealogy, liqueur, photography, philately, depression glass, and model trains round out my interests - a list that, looking at it, is probably telling as to my age.

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:47:16 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »

it's a useful language.
 Smiley

Nobody speaks Fusha natively and the dialects aren't mutually intelligable.

Is that a single language anymore in any meaningful sense?
Yes.

btw, my sons learned to speak fuSHa natively.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »

well done!
 Smiley

is there an orthodox approved version of the Bible in arabic available yet?
i want to combine my hobbies by reading the Bible in arabic in public places...
 Wink
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2013, 06:36:23 PM »

i want to combine my hobbies by reading the Bible in arabic in public places...
 Wink

That reminds me of how I've had some random Arabic Orthodox chant as my ringtone. Maybe I should do it again. I'd love to see face of some immigrants when they realize that a) a non-Muslim Finn has Arabic chant as ringtone b) a non-Muslim Finn has Christian Arabic chant as ringtone.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2013, 07:22:18 AM »

please do, then we can change the world together!
 Wink
i have this as my ring tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHJRpdElV8U
('you are the Lord of assistance')

for my work phone i have gone more inclusive and have a popular bollywood song (don't know what it is called, got it from a friend with the arabic name 'guitar'!)
bollywood is almost mainstream in uk!
Jude1:3

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: USA

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »

Hi Friends,

I'm new to the board. I came across this forum after looking into Orthodoxy. I want to give you a little background on my journey so far:

I was raised in a small town Baptist Church. I had never even heard of Orthodoxy until about 3-4 years ago when I started researching Church History and Apologetics. All we had in my small town was Catholic, Mormon, First Baptist, Southern Baptist, Methodist and a very very small percentage of Charismatic home type of Churches.

After high school I began checking out different Churches. I attended an Assemblies of God Church for almost 2 years. It was polar opposite of the Baptist Church I grew up in, but the members of the Assemblies of God Church seemed to have more zealousness then most of the people I attended church with at the Baptist Church. The negative side to the Assemblies of God Church was that it just seemed Chaotic and strange sometimes. Lots of Emotion just for the sake of emotion. Almost as if they had to conjure up the moving of The Holy Ghost . It's kind of hard to explain. Everyone would pray in Tongues all at the same time.

Another negative aspect was that they would always make you doubt your salvation and have an alter call like every Sunday. I found out later that the Arminian, Wesleyan theology, had a lot to do with that. I just knew there was just something not right about the Church but I couldn't really explain it.

I've attended Calvary Chapels now for a couple of years now off and on. It's hard to explain but I just know something is not right. Now, I know that there are many people Who truly Love The Lord Jesus Christ in Calvary Chapels, but I honestly think there are some wolves hanging out in that Church.

I started trying to study Apologetics, because I wanted to know what and why I believe what I do. I also started studying Church History. That is what lead me to research Orthodoxy. I work with some Coptic Orthodox from Egypt also and they are great people. I have a Kinship with them and I honestly believe it's because of The Holy Spirit of God.

From what I've learned about Orthodoxy it has given me a great respect for you guys. My main desire is to return to the most ancient form of Christianity 100%. I am SOOO Disgusted with modern Christianity where you walk in to a mega church and they have a Starbucks/Gift Shop ready for your cash. Maybe The Lord is calling me out of Protestantism and into Orthodoxy.

I wanted to join this board so I could learn more and ask questions I have been wrestling with lately. I'm a member of Carm Forums and I've posted a few times in the Orthodox section.   

P.S. My AV Picture is of Fedor Emelianenko . He is an MMA fighter and Russian Orthodox.

Thank You Very Much and I look forward to discussion.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »

Cool, a thread where we get to talk about ourselves!!!  laugh

My name is Chris and I am a 32 year-old high school administrator. I majored in math for my undergraduate degree, and started teaching soon after graduation. I have been in education ever since.

I recently completed my M.A. in philosophy at a Catholic liberal arts college, and I soon plan to apply to a doctoral program. When I grow up I want to be a philosophy professor.  Smiley

I am the oldest of six siblings, and I come a very interesting Catholic family. We are very proud of our Hispanic heritage and we love Red Chile (not chili) poured all over our food.

I'm in love with all things Byzantine, and I am currently in the process of transitions from the Latin Church to the Ruthenian (Byzantine) Catholic Church.

Personality? Silly, off-beat, nerdy, out-going (in most situations), love to be around friends and family, but paradoxically, truly an introvert underneath it all.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Syriac.Aramaic

Faith: Christian Syriac Orthodox

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2014, 12:54:36 PM »

Didn't see this thread earlier, and because i love this forum and i will probably spend more time here, i take the chance to introduce me self.

Im at the age of 17.
Studying jurisprudence.
Born in Sweden, but i'm not swede, my parents are from the Christian parts of turkey, and they immigrated to sweden because of harassment by the muslims in Turkey.

Born and raise in strict syriac orthodox manners, and are growing religious every day that pass by.

My dream is to be a monk.

PS, Notice that i'm probably the youngest on this forum hehe.

Rejoice in the joy of our god.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »

schlomo!
welcome  Smiley
our churches are good friends. your church gave us loads of things like patriarchs, monks, ninevah's fast etc.
we even have a monastery in egypt called the syrian monastery! (deir al suriani)
may God bless and protect your patriarch, bishops (especially those who suffer captivity, the antiochian one and the syriac one), other clergy, laity and you!

may God guide u in your life and give you lots of patience as you dream about the future.
 Smiley
(mabsoota is the female version of the word 'happy' in egyptian arabic)
Syriac.Aramaic

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2014, 05:30:12 PM »

schlomo!
welcome  Smiley
our churches are good friends. your church gave us loads of things like patriarchs, monks, ninevah's fast etc.
we even have a monastery in egypt called the syrian monastery! (deir al suriani)
may God bless and protect your patriarch, bishops (especially those who suffer captivity, the antiochian one and the syriac one), other clergy, laity and you!

may God guide u in your life and give you lots of patience as you dream about the future.
 Smiley
(mabsoota is the female version of the word 'happy' in egyptian arabic)
Besheino!
Thanks for the welcoming, and of course our churches is very good friends, as so with the people of the coptic church.
And yes our church has a great history and has contributed many things to Christianity. Also the Syriac/Aramaic language that was spoken by Jesus Christ him self.
The monastery is well aware, also the situation for the Christians in Egypt. We have u always in our prayers together with our brothers and sister in Syria.
Thanks for your kind words my loved friend, and may god protect the Christan's of Egypt. I heard that any activity of the Muslim brotherhood is no longer allowed which is great.

God bless you.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »

Välkommen, Syriac.Aramaic! Glad to see more people living in Scandinavia here. I'm a Finnish Orthodox Christian. I'd love to  visit a Syriac church at some point. There aren't in here as Finland has much fewer OO immigrants than Sweden has.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:58:01 PM by Alpo » Logged

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »

Current occupations: Ski and snowboard technician, junior and intermediate art teacher (subbing right now), musician, song-writer.
Sports: Habs/Chargers/Clippers/Roughriders fan.
Nationality: Canadian.
Heritage: Mostly German, and a bit of Irish/Scottish/English, Dutch, and Romanian.
Bad habits: Thinking and drinking too much.
Family: Husband to a beautiful wife and father to a rowdy and athletic three-year-old son.
Meyers-Briggs: INFP
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:50:57 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Syriac.Aramaic

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:44 AM »

Välkommen, Syriac.Aramaic! Glad to see more people living in Scandinavia here. I'm a Finnish Orthodox Christian. I'd love to  visit a Syriac church at some point. There aren't in here as Finland has much fewer OO immigrants than Sweden has.
Tack!
Ur always welcomed in our church, when you visit sweden, then u surly need to visit one of our churches. We have many here around the country.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2014, 10:49:04 AM »

Just a old guy who forgot his password, not much posting just alot of thinking and observing the younger folk...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »

Just a old guy who forgot his password, not much posting just alot of thinking and observing the younger folk...

Good to see you again, old buddy. Glad you found your password.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Patapouf

Jurisdiction: none

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2014, 05:05:30 PM »

Hello my name is John I'm 50 years old and I'm from Portugal. 'm Orthodox but not belong to any jurisdiction. I often joke that I'm an Orthodox vacant. Glad to see that increasingly the Orthodox faith will be spreading throughout the world and increasingly, young people are interested in matters of faith.
My compliments to all and God bless us.
Ps: I read and speak English but writing is more difficult, so excuse the Google translator.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »

Hello my name is John I'm 50 years old and I'm from Portugal. 'm Orthodox but not belong to any jurisdiction. I often joke that I'm an Orthodox vacant. Glad to see that increasingly the Orthodox faith will be spreading throughout the world and increasingly, young people are interested in matters of faith.
My compliments to all and God bless us.
Ps: I read and speak English but writing is more difficult, so excuse the Google translator.

Welcome Patapouf! We have a Portuguese Language sub-forum as well!

Bem-vindo Patapouf! Também temos um sub-fórum de língua portuguesa!

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Ferd Berfel

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2014, 02:05:17 AM »

Hello. I've posted a couple of times, but I missed this thread until now. My name is John.

I'm a recent convert to Orthodoxy; previously, I worked in a protestant church as an associate pastor. My journey from there to here is a rather long story, but what's important is that I'm home.

I'm a twisty puzzle collector; in my avatar is a picture of me with my 11x11x11 Rubik's cube.

I work in a substance abuse detox facility, primarily with alcoholics, but I've also dealt with hard drugs like meth and heroin.

I enjoy heavy metal music; I write and record my own music and always enjoy finding new bands to listen to.

I'm also an avid chilihead; hot sauces and hot peppers are an absolute necessity for my diet.

So there you have it. Nice to meet you all. Smiley
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2014, 09:56:09 AM »

I'm also an avid chilihead; hot sauces and hot peppers are an absolute necessity for my diet.

Oh blessed of the Father, enter into the joy of your Lord even before you enter into the joy of your Lord.

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Ferd Berfel

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »

Oh blessed of the Father, enter into the joy of your Lord even before you enter into the joy of your Lord.

I don't even know what you mean by this, but it made me laugh  laugh
Syriac.Aramaic

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »

Hello. I've posted a couple of times, but I missed this thread until now. My name is John.

I'm a recent convert to Orthodoxy; previously, I worked in a protestant church as an associate pastor. My journey from there to here is a rather long story, but what's important is that I'm home.

I'm a twisty puzzle collector; in my avatar is a picture of me with my 11x11x11 Rubik's cube.

I work in a substance abuse detox facility, primarily with alcoholics, but I've also dealt with hard drugs like meth and heroin.

I enjoy heavy metal music; I write and record my own music and always enjoy finding new bands to listen to.

So there you have it. Nice to meet you all. Smiley

Welcome ! God bless, love to read that you have find your settlement in orthodoxy.
Could you in any way post your convert story?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:01:46 PM by Syriac.Aramaic » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »

I like you, that's all.  It's a good thing.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Ferd Berfel

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2014, 02:13:16 AM »

I like you, that's all.  It's a good thing.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

Alrighty then, I like you too. Smiley

Welcome ! God bless, love to read that you have find your settlement in orthodoxy.
Could you in any way post your convert story?

I'd be happy to, but I fear that it's really not all that exciting. It has a lot more to do with my Protestant background as a minister, and I feel that I'm rather new to Orthodoxy to be seriously testimonializing yet. Still, if there's some curiosity, I'd be happy to share.

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2014, 11:11:05 AM »

we are all very curious!
 Smiley
Eruvande

Faith: Anglican

« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2014, 04:20:51 AM »

Greetings!
I've lurked for a while but thought I'd pop in and finally say hello.
I'm from the UK, used to be reformed baptist. I discovered Orthodoxy in a Christian Chatroom while I was busy trying to convince everyone that Calvinism was the truth.
I’m a married mother of four and very lax member of the British Orthodox Fellowship.
I’m currently trying to work out where God wants me!
Ferd Berfel

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:19 AM »

Greetings!
I've lurked for a while but thought I'd pop in and finally say hello.
I'm from the UK, used to be reformed baptist. I discovered Orthodoxy in a Christian Chatroom while I was busy trying to convince everyone that Calvinism was the truth.
I’m a married mother of four and very lax member of the British Orthodox Fellowship.

Welcome!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2014, 10:39:57 AM »

Hullo!

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »

"Very lax member" is still better than "not a member".  Wink 

Welcome!   Christ is risen!

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Welcome to the forum, Eruvande.   Smiley
Beggar at the Cross

Jurisdiction: Roman (Archdiocese of San Francisco)

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »

Hi Everyone!  Christ is risen!

I'm a convert to the Catholic Church from Protestantism.  Before becoming Catholic, I looked into Eastern Orthodoxy and attended an OCA parish for 6 months or so.  My interest in Orthodoxy has recently been rekindled, though, so I'm here hoping to learn and interact with Orthodox folks for some mutual edification.  God Bless you all!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »

Welcome (officially unofficially)  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:53:01 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

methodius
Elder

Faith: orthodox - OCA
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada

« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2014, 01:58:29 AM »

HI !
Christ is risen!

This is a good place, fun, informative, and sometimes a pain because it makes you (shudder) think.

Look forward to seeing a lot of you  Smiley

kyrie eleison
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »

My name's Porter, I'm forty-one, live in Oregon, don't presently have an occupation -- and the ladies to whom I'm devoted are Bonnie (spouse), Aftasie (three-year-old), and Omilie (six-month-old) (the children are pictured below).

My background is Amish-Mennonite, and the community in which I grew up was a forty-minute drive from groceries or gas, way out in the Appalachian foothills. Theology is something I've wrestled with all my life, usually with enjoyment, sometimes with a little madness -- but pious culture is what I really miss. My wife and I have requested to become catechumens at a church in West Portland; it's mostly converts but they do have one Greek priest.

It's good to meet you all! and these forums are invaluable.

Khristòs anèsti!

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2014, 09:51:59 PM »

Theology is something I've wrestled with all my life, usually with enjoyment, sometimes with a little madness -- but pious culture is what I really miss.

Smiley

Truly he is risen!

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2014, 09:56:44 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Welcome to the forum, Porter.   Smiley
methodius
Elder

Faith: orthodox - OCA
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2014, 12:59:10 AM »

Truly He is Risen!
and welcome to our group

kyrie eleison
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2014, 01:00:25 AM »

Welcome Porter Smiley

Mystes
Pathomachos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church

One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church

« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »

Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to have arrived at this forum, being able now to share within a worldwide community Smiley I come from Lithuania, an eparchy of the Russian Orthodox Church. I'm currently undergoing an official catechetical course in Orthodoxy in preparation for Chrismation, although I had my first encounter with Orthodoxy in 2011, when I took a course in History of Christianity (I'm an undergraduate student of Philosophy). At that time I even found a local parish where Divine Liturgy was celebrated in my vernacular (which is somewhat of a miracle in a country predominated by Russian-speaking Orthodox believers and Slavonic customs). However, I got distracted again until recently, when I met a Catholic priest in October 2013. It should be taken into account that I was a rather sinful soul, for many years, since my early teens, I was fascinated by occult thought and even dabbled in it, dealing with Tarot quite deeply. There were many moments when I considered converting and confessing my sins but I just couldn't make it. Nevertheless, that October I found the strength to make a full confession of one's life and also received the sacrament of Holy Unction. Since then I started recovering all my previous experiences with Orthodoxy and comparing it with Catholicism. Eventually, all of this lead to an ever increasing conviction and awareness that Orthodoxy is my true calling. So here I am.  Smiley

Ad majorem Adonai gloriam!
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2014, 02:50:57 PM »

Welcome!

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »

welcome! your story is very similar to a friend of mine.
is occult religion popular in your part of the world?

may God guide you and protect you.
Mystes
Pathomachos

« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »

Well, I'll definitely say this - it's filled with New Age babble, although my country is regarded, in a way similar to Poland, as a highly conservative Catholic country (people like to mock and say 'The Land of Mary on Earth'). During the Soviet era, most of the Russian population was cutt-off from their religious roots, occult practices of various sorts are deeply grounded in Russia, Lithuania isn't an exception. There has also been a revival of exorcist practice and pastoration in recent years, the media would often quote how people are queuing up just to see or speak to an exorcist (there are only 5 of them in the entire country, 1 per diocese, so you can imagine the demand).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:43:20 PM by Mystes » Logged

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2014, 03:57:33 PM »

do you mean the russians were cut off from the church so they turned to the occult?
and now they are getting exorcism and so will come back to the church?

i have another friend from a country near yours and she says many people are far from the church. also the churches were not always welcoming.
once, when she was catholic, she visited a russian orthodox church with some friends and the priest hit her because she was catholic and not orthodox!

she is now orthodox, despite that...
Mystes
Pathomachos

« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2014, 04:14:40 PM »

No, I didn't mean that Russians went into occultism because of losing their religious origins - that would be an oversimplification. It's just that the great 'silver age' of Russian culture never had the opportunity to reach its full maturity, a sort of 'golden age' which was evidently caused by the Bolshevik revolution of 1917. From then onwards, generations of Russians were cut-off from religious upbringing despite the fact that the Church was still active in many ways (secret celebration of liturgy etc.). Although there were allowances for religious worship per se, the Church was forbidden to preach its faith in the open without being subject to ideological distortion, religious education could no longer take place at schools, religious teacing materials could not be published, thus Orthodoxy lost its implicit characteristics, those of defining the culture people were living in. All of this provided a breeding ground for New Age culture. Lithuania was part of the USSR not so long ago (this year was the 24th anniversay of reestablishing Lithuanian independence), so naturally it was affected by the cultural processes prevailing there. As for exorcisms, I meant to say that exorcist practice has become an increasing interest in Lithuania which could be attested to a genuine pursuit of faith, a symptom of spiritual battle and condition, however, not a way of 'returning to the Church' (unless in a strictly formal sense).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:17:54 PM by Mystes » Logged

mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »

thanks for explaining.
i have relatives in romania and so i was wondering if you were referring to persecution.
may God bless all those who are searching spiritually in lithuania and all the places affected by communism in the past or currently.
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2014, 04:43:08 PM »

Hello everyone,

My name is Sam, and I've been on this forum long enough to appreciate some of the unique personalities you find on here.  Wink

This forum really helped me when I was investigating Orthodoxy, and since I have been received into the Church I've been trying to do my best to help other inquirers figure things out.  My own personal journey has taken me from Catholicism, to atheism, to deism, to theism, to Catholicism, to Eastern Catholicism, to Orthodoxy.  Besides religion, my other hobbies include playing the guitar and watching hockey.  I also attend college, but that's usually the last thing on my mind.

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
littlepilgrim64
Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »

Hello all!  

A bit about myself:

SPIRITUAL JOURNEY: Raised Roman Catholic.  In my early 20's was involved in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal for a year or two, then left Catholicism entirely and began attending an Assembly of God church for about a year.  Ended up meeting a guy (my former husband) and began dating him; he was Reformed/Presbyterian and that is how I was introduced to Reformed theology (Calvinism) initially. I have remained in these circles for about 25 years or so. (Now . . . don’t be trying to calculate this girl’s age . . LOL.)  

Currently I'm alternating between attending services at a Presbyterian church and attending liturgy at my local Greek Orthodox Church.  Over the course of the last number of years I would look into Orthodoxy, attend a few Divine Liturgies, do some reading and listen to podcasts on Ancient Faith Radio and then put it on the back burner. A period of time would pass and I would begin again reading, listening to podcasts, etc.  This time there is no looking back for me.  I ask you remember me in your prayers as I continue on my journey toward Orthodoxy.

RESIDE: In the South, but I'm a Northern transplant.  

MISC STUFF:
Ethnicity: Andalucian (Spanish) and Slovak.

Education: Some college.

Occupation: Medical transcriptionist (yes, some of us still exist . . . LOL)

Sports: BIG Pittsburgh Steelers fan (some of my upbringing was in “the Burgh”) and NY Mets fan.  

“Girly” things I enjoy: Crocheting, cross-stitch; a novice quilter.  Picking up finds at yard sales.  Baking/cooking. Enjoy taking time to writing cards/letters to friends and sending via snail mail (though I do Facebook too).  

Music: Have been involved in church and community choirs.  Enjoy performing sacred choral music.

Writing:  I am long-winded . . . .forgive me.  

Everyone have a good night!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:57:46 PM by littlepilgrim64 » Logged
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2014, 10:16:08 PM »

You had me at BIG Steelers fan.  Kiss

littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »

Start of training camp at St. Vincent's will be here before ya know it  Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »

Start of training camp at St. Vincent's will be here before ya know it  Smiley

I live about 5 miles from St. Vincents, I'll have to decide whether to try and go... guess I'll see how the crowds, weather, etc. are. If I go I can figure out something Orthodox to yell at Troy  Grin  Tongue

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2014, 11:11:42 PM »

Welcome to Sam G and littlepilgrim64!  Smiley

Georgii

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German Diocese

« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2014, 08:00:15 PM »

Male, age 50, by birth Presbyterian, working as a translator/editor between English, Russian and German.

Lived the first half of my life (but whose life is it anyway?) in the US, the most recent half in Germany. Married (Orthodox wedding) to a cradle Russian Orthodox for the last 17 years. One son, almost 13 years old.

Chrismated in a Moscow Patriarchate parish in Baltimore this last Holy Thursday. Still travelling around the US, but looking forward to getting home to ROCOR in Germany.

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »

Welcome Georgii!
juha

Jurisdiction: Finland Helsinki, Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople

« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2014, 02:25:14 AM »

Hello friends! I am new to the forum. Age 55,father of one,single parent, converted to orthodoxy 1985, psychotherapist, hobbyist photographer, Helsinki orthodox parish.
God bless!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2014, 02:34:26 AM »

Welcome Smiley

Georgii

Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German Diocese

« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2014, 04:01:27 AM »

Occupation: Medical transcriptionist (yes, some of us still exist . . . LOL)

Yeah, we do show our age. My favorite great aunt (Lord grant her Your Heavenly Kingdom) was a court reporter, and while there was still a Cold War I did something for the US Department of Defense that was called "transcription" -- my part in trying to figure out what those darned Rooskies were up to and to keep them from taking over the world  Huh.

But now I pray for the salvation of those killed in the fratricidal strife in the Ukrainian Lands (an interesting way to dodge the question of whether to put the "the" in Ukraine).

And all of my paternal relatives are Southerners transplanted to the North, so I can kind of see where you, littlepilgrim, are coming from in that way, too.

my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment
Hīlhētes

"Assum est, inquit, versa et manduca!"

« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »

Been lurking around here on and off, but I'm finally ready to post.   Grin 

My name is Eric.  I'm turning 24 in December, and I was born and raised in Toronto, Ontario.  I'm currently in college studying Broadcasting & Film, and I'm starting an internship for school next week. 

I was raised in an Evangelical household, but I became disillusioned with Christianity a few years ago, and almost became agnostic.  Then, in 2011, one of my best friends took me to his church and introduced me to Orthodoxy, and in Summer 2013 I decided that it was the truth.  I still need to be become a catechumen, though, lol.

My hobbies and interests include hiking, biking, writing, film, history, linguistics, and geopolitics.   Smiley
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:41:07 PM by Hīlhētes » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2014, 08:44:13 PM »

Welcome!

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »

Welcome to the Forum, Hīlhētes!!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Zois

« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2014, 06:36:03 AM »

Hello! Smiley
I'm Zois (Ζώης). I'm 16 years old and from Greece, but unfortunately I live in Germany.

If you have any questions, you are allowed to ask. Wink Cheesy
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »

Hello! Smiley
I'm Zois (Ζώης). I'm 16 years old and from Greece, but unfortunately I live in Germany.

If you have any questions, you are allowed to ask. Wink Cheesy

Hello, good to see you on the board.  Smiley

Not posting
NanaDeborah

Faith: Former Charismatic
Jurisdiction: Attending an Antiochian church

« Reply #127 on: Yesterday at 10:24:58 AM »

I wish I had seen this sooner!  I am probably older than most of you here.  I am married with two grown children and 10 grandchildren ages 7 months to 14 years, so do the math.  Hence the "Nana" part.

I am currently employed in the district office of our local US Congressman, but not so interested in politics any more.  I am involved with constituent services (you would not believe the stuff people call their Congressman about.  I should write a book.)

I love to sew and quilt, and when I get breaks from work, I like to cook.  Planning to retire next year, take some photography classes and travel to see the natural wonders of the USA, taking thousands of pictures.

I am a serious lifelong introvert who is trying to learn to more adequately and eloquently express myself, so please forgive my often rambling posts.  My mind needs to learn discipline so I am sure you will help me stay on task here.

My husband is retired military, so we had an opportunity to live abroad for a few years, in Greece, New Zealand, and Japan.

I don't have much Orthodox experience, but a lot of life experience, so come on over, have some milk and cookies, and let's talk.

Accept the fountains of my tears, O Thou Who drawest the waters of the sea by the clouds.
littlepilgrim64
Elder

« Reply #128 on: Yesterday at 12:11:52 PM »

NanaDeborah - Good getting to know you more through this post  Smiley  Your life sounds so interesting! A belated "Welcome" to you!
Zois

« Reply #129 on: Today at 05:07:32 AM »

I wish I had seen this sooner!  I am probably older than most of you here.  I am married with two grown children and 10 grandchildren ages 7 months to 14 years, so do the math.  Hence the "Nana" part.

I am currently employed in the district office of our local US Congressman, but not so interested in politics any more.  I am involved with constituent services (you would not believe the stuff people call their Congressman about.  I should write a book.)

I love to sew and quilt, and when I get breaks from work, I like to cook.  Planning to retire next year, take some photography classes and travel to see the natural wonders of the USA, taking thousands of pictures.

I am a serious lifelong introvert who is trying to learn to more adequately and eloquently express myself, so please forgive my often rambling posts.  My mind needs to learn discipline so I am sure you will help me stay on task here.

My husband is retired military, so we had an opportunity to live abroad for a few years, in Greece, New Zealand, and Japan.

I don't have much Orthodox experience, but a lot of life experience, so come on over, have some milk and cookies, and let's talk.

Welcome, NanaDeborah!
I have one question, because your life seems to be very satisfying and nice and, even if I am just 16 years old, I think it is be great to be married and have a wonderful and harmonic life with my family, and to have a successful career, which must not bring be too much money, but enough to feed my family. I still go to school and I don't plan to marry in the next future, but still, my question is: Are you happy with your life? Because you really seem to have lots of life experience, a happy family and a successful career and that's what I am aiming for.
sakura95
Love Live School Idol Festival noob :(
Elder

Faith: Deciding between Coptic and Greek Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Constaninople and Alexandria

« Reply #130 on: Today at 07:19:06 AM »

Ermm....Hi (⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄)⁄  I have been posting here for quite some time.

I am a Malaysian Chinese as some of you would know. Currently, I'm studying Business with Economics in the UK with hopes of pursuing a masters in Behavioral Economics, hopefully anyway. Generally, I'm a particularly shy person so while I might be quite 'vocal' here, I would be more quiet and introverted in real life. I also have an odd thing for looking feminine for some unknown reason.

My religious background is an odd mix of Buddhism, Protestantism and Catholicism and now I'm Orthodox....at least in belief which is better than nothing  Wink

As for my interests, I love philosophy(I hope to be able to somehow pursue a degree in it), Behavioral Economics, Theology, Manga, Adventure Time, Anime, girls and emotional music, particularly those that are poetic and tell a story. I also do sketches sometimes during my free time, mostly based on real people such as singers and girls I know...at least those attractive based on my POV.

« Last Edit: Today at 07:24:45 AM by sakura95 » Logged

Lord Have Mercy on my weak and doubtful soul
Twenty Nine

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #131 on: Today at 08:22:49 AM »

Hello,
I am 38, married with four children. Converted from Roman Catholicism to Orthodoxy in 2001.

By day I am an accountant, by night I am a distance-learning seminarian at St. Sophia Ukrainian Orthodox Seminary.

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #132 on: Today at 08:37:14 AM »

Hello,
I am 38, married with four children. Converted from Roman Catholicism to Orthodoxy in 2001.

By day I am an accountant, by night I am a distance-learning seminarian at St. Sophia Ukrainian Orthodox Seminary.
I thought you were 29.

[/lamejoke]

Inquirer
Aspiring antiaphthartodocetist

Faith: Ruthenian Catholic
Jurisdiction: ...but contemplating Orthodoxy

« Reply #133 on: Today at 08:45:02 AM »

Hello. I was raised as a Hanukkah/Passover Jew (the equivalent of Easter/Christmas Christians), functionally atheist. Had an epiphany when I was 17 and was baptized in a Roman Catholic Church. I have a B.A. in theology. Got married when I was 22, currently have one child. I moved to a rural area about a year ago and couldn't find a single Tridentine-rite Mass or sufferable Novus Ordo parish within an hour of my new house, so I go to a Ruthenian parish. Since about a month before the Synod on the Family in Rome convened I have been strongly considering converting to Orthodoxy.

I love tacos and naps. Not a very exciting person unfortunately.

I want to remain anonymous so no photo/real name. But if you're curious, I look exactly like Gendo from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

ΔΙΚΑΙΩΝ δὲ ψυχαὶ ἐν χειρὶ Θεοῦ
Justorum animæ  in manu Dei sunt
Праведных не души в руце Божией
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #134 on: Today at 08:49:46 AM »

Wow, I didn't know this post existed. Smiley

My name is BethAnna.  I've been here since 2010.  I have three grown children and five (one is on the way) grandchildren.  I have a german shepherd (mine) named Jess and two cats (hubby's) named Roadie and Petra.

I live in a big old house built in 1857 that's been in my husband's family for four generations.  Some times I squawk about it, but I'm squawking less now that I can do the laundry without an umbrella.

I am Orthodox (convert).

I love to learn, write and sculpt.  Haven't done the sculpting in a while, but once my husband is back on his feet I will get back to my pottery classes and start carving reliefs into the pottery.

Fav subjects of study: History, MicroBiology, NeuroBiology (specifically the brain) and Sociology.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #135 on: Today at 02:34:05 PM »

i am glad your leak is fixed.
(if i understand you right).

i hope you have also sorted your bug problem.

it british english, a buggy (plural - buggies) is a type of plastic basket on wheels
that you put your baby or small kid in to avoid carrying it all the time.

so when i saw your post in the prayer thread, i had images of parents running manically around
with their small kids on wheels, accidently causing you all kinds of random distress!

i suppose that would have been easier to sort out though, i posted it in case it gave you a laugh
 Wink
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #136 on: Today at 03:35:50 PM »

i am glad your leak is fixed.
(if i understand you right).

i hope you have also sorted your bug problem.

it british english, a buggy (plural - buggies) is a type of plastic basket on wheels
that you put your baby or small kid in to avoid carrying it all the time.

so when i saw your post in the prayer thread, i had images of parents running manically around
with their small kids on wheels, accidently causing you all kinds of random distress!

i suppose that would have been easier to sort out though, i posted it in case it gave you a laugh
 Wink
I had visions of Amish buggies careening around. I decided not to post that in a prayer thread though. lol

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: