OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:54:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about an Antiochian Liturgy in Florida  (Read 2756 times) Average Rating: 0
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2013, 11:41:34 AM »

Is there a particular reason for that?  I've seen both, but never based on liturgical season.  

On Sundays when one of the Matins Gospels of the Resurrection is chanted, the Gospel is brought out for the people to venerate during Psalm 50 with the Resurrection side up so that the people are venerating the icon of the Resurrection on the cover of the Gospel.
I suppose that the reason why we do not use the Hand Cross during the Paschal season, is that the season itself is a celebration of the Resurrection of Christ. It is just one of the traditions for the Paschal season, like the Priest holding the Paschal candle when he censes during the Paschal season.

Fr. John Morris

Some blessing crosses, particularly those which are engraved, rather than in bas-relief, are double-sided. One side shows the Crucifixion, the other the risen Christ. During the Paschal season, a priest with such a cross simply presents the "resurrectional" side for veneration.
This is what I've seen done in the parishes I've visited

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2013, 01:24:01 PM »

Is there a particular reason for that?  I've seen both, but never based on liturgical season.  

On Sundays when one of the Matins Gospels of the Resurrection is chanted, the Gospel is brought out for the people to venerate during Psalm 50 with the Resurrection side up so that the people are venerating the icon of the Resurrection on the cover of the Gospel.
I suppose that the reason why we do not use the Hand Cross during the Paschal season, is that the season itself is a celebration of the Resurrection of Christ. It is just one of the traditions for the Paschal season, like the Priest holding the Paschal candle when he censes during the Paschal season.

Fr. John Morris

Some blessing crosses, particularly those which are engraved, rather than in bas-relief, are double-sided. One side shows the Crucifixion, the other the risen Christ. During the Paschal season, a priest with such a cross simply presents the "resurrectional" side for veneration.
This is what I've seen done in the parishes I've visited

That is correct. However, when I was in his diocese Bishop Basil told me not to use the hand cross during the Paschal season. I have seen priests from Syria and Lebanon use a small Gospel to bless the people in place of the hand cross during the Paschal season. The rubrics in the Liturgikon state that one should bless with the Paschal candle during the Paschal season.

Fr. John
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »

In Romania the gospel book is always out for kissing alongside the icon on the small stand in the middle of the Church.
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2013, 01:50:37 PM »

Not in here. Up here congregation usually sings Our Father and Creed. In my former parish we also sang troparion of St. Nicholas.

That I think was the hardest part of switching from a Greek church to an OCA one. For me at least, the tune used for the Our Father and the Creed was difficult to replicate in the beginning. In fact, seeing Western-style notation (which makes even less sense to me than Byzantine notation) in a church was pretty shocking. I had completely forgotten how truly diverse our Church's ecclesiastical music is, despite my mentor giving me a lesson on the different chanting styles of our world once before.

When I attend, I've got a book in my hand (which, normally, I'd prefer not to need)

I have a question. I'm a bit addicted to having a book with me during Divine Liturgy. I find it helps me pay attention during church, but conversely, it has prevented me from observing the liturgy because my face is buried in a booklet. In fact, the first time I attended Washington D.C.'s Western Rite church, the head acolyte afterwards suggested next time I return, that I let go of the transcription of the Liturgy of Saint Gregory and instead watch.

I've never really tried memorising the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom since I've always had a book with me to follow along. Are books of the Liturgy training-wheels and should I start trying to memorise the Liturgy and not use a book?

The Antiochian Archdiocese publishes a complete set of books with Byzantine chant using Western notation.

Fr. John Morris
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »

Never seen anything like that.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »

We have one in my parish.  This isn't the one, but it is the same idea:

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2013, 10:48:05 AM »

^ In many of the churches found in the Carpathians, among the Galicians, Lemkos, Rusyns and Romanians, it was common to see a large wooden cross with either a painted icon of Christ Crucified or a bas relief in the front of the Church year round. It was (and in come parishes it remains the case) customary for an appointed curator to reverse the cross as depicted in  Mor's picture during the Paschal procession while the Church was empty, and keep it so for the duration of the Paschal season. Same thought process, I suppose.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »

Not in here. Up here congregation usually sings Our Father and Creed. In my former parish we also sang troparion of St. Nicholas.

That I think was the hardest part of switching from a Greek church to an OCA one. For me at least, the tune used for the Our Father and the Creed was difficult to replicate in the beginning. In fact, seeing Western-style notation (which makes even less sense to me than Byzantine notation) in a church was pretty shocking. I had completely forgotten how truly diverse our Church's ecclesiastical music is, despite my mentor giving me a lesson on the different chanting styles of our world once before.

When I attend, I've got a book in my hand (which, normally, I'd prefer not to need)

I have a question. I'm a bit addicted to having a book with me during Divine Liturgy. I find it helps me pay attention during church, but conversely, it has prevented me from observing the liturgy because my face is buried in a booklet. In fact, the first time I attended Washington D.C.'s Western Rite church, the head acolyte afterwards suggested next time I return, that I let go of the transcription of the Liturgy of Saint Gregory and instead watch.

I've never really tried memorising the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom since I've always had a book with me to follow along. Are books of the Liturgy training-wheels and should I start trying to memorise the Liturgy and not use a book?

The Antiochian Archdiocese publishes a complete set of books with Byzantine chant using Western notation.

Fr. John Morris

This isn't the old Kazan, is it?
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2013, 11:14:03 AM »

^ In many of the churches found in the Carpathians, among the Galicians, Lemkos, Rusyns and Romanians, it was common to see a large wooden cross with either a painted icon of Christ Crucified or a bas relief in the front of the Church year round. It was (and in come parishes it remains the case) customary for an appointed curator to reverse the cross as depicted in  Mor's picture during the Paschal procession while the Church was empty, and keep it so for the duration of the Paschal season. Same thought process, I suppose.

Yes all of our crosses are double sides like that including the one that stands at the altar.  At midnight on Pascha it is flipped and reveals an empty cross with the cloth hanging from it. 
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »

Yes all of our crosses are double sides like that including the one that stands at the altar.  At midnight on Pascha it is flipped and reveals an empty cross with the cloth hanging from it. 

Yes, I forgot about the cloth. That too.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »

Fr. John Morris

There is a Byzantine notation set available now for, at least, Vespers using the Kazan text and melodies.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2013, 05:56:22 PM »

You haven't lived as long as I have.  Wink
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »

You haven't lived as long as I have.  Wink

I've managed to visit a few places already.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24118.msg1039193.html#msg1039193
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:02:39 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24118.msg1039193.html#msg1039193

And yet, in none of them did you see a double-sided priest's cross, yet they exist.  police
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2013, 06:15:27 PM »

And yet, in none of them did you see a double-sided priest's cross, yet they exist.  police

In Ukrainian, and with it Rusyn, tradition, the Paschal Blessing is done with the hand cross. Many of the faithful probably would never look closely enough to notice the two sides.

I tire of the 'this is the right way, you're doing it wrong' based upon separate cultural development over two millenniums in some parts of the world and at least one in the other. Most of this stuff is  cultural 'window dressing' and doesn't go to the heart of rubrics, ritual or dogma. Yet it is one of the real obstacles to organic Orthodox unity in America at least......People will line up to fight to the spiritual death over such matters.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:15:53 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »

You haven't lived as long as I have.  Wink

Every Eastern Orthodox hand cross that I have ever seen has two sides, one for the Resurrection and one of the Crucifixion. However, I was told by Bishop Basil not to use the hand cross during the Pascal Season. I have not asked my current Bishop, Bishop Antoun about the matter.

Fr. John W. Morris
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: