OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 05:50:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone else have trouble with this?  (Read 653 times) Average Rating: 0
Scott

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: October 21, 2013, 03:03:24 AM »

Does anyone here have difficulty believing in the afterlife? Personally, its easier for me to believe in God than to believe in the afterlife. It's just natural for me to think that when I die I will cease to exist. What do you think?

"To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
Confucius
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 04:01:21 AM »

Does anyone here have difficulty believing in the afterlife? Personally, its easier for me to believe in God than to believe in the afterlife. It's just natural for me to think that when I die I will cease to exist. What do you think?

Having knowledge of God and His Kingdom (wouldn't call it after-life since life begins here and continues after physical death) is not the same as believing in them, having faith. Faith is the only way, the first step towards God who is a transcendent personal reality, is Love, and so human rationalities and proofs cannot take man beyond himself to God. Only through the heart we can actually have knowledge of God, have actual revelation of Him. Of course, God needs to reveal Himself, or else we are powerless in knowing Him.  So, He does not allow Himself to be trapped by the human mind or scientific method as if He is some sort of phenomenon without a personal will -- which could be understood only through the transcendent reality of love.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:02:31 AM by IoanC » Logged

WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:09:02 AM »

From what I understand, the Afterlife is borrowed from Eygptian culture where the Egyptians believed the bodies of the entombed went on the next life.

See this thread; http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,49557.0.html ...
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:47:52 AM »

I'm not so much hung up on the idea of an 'afterlife' as I am on the notion of 'forever.'  If you've ever tried to crawl all the way up inside that concept, you know it's terrifying. 

One hundred and eighty million years could pass one hundred and eighty million times, and not even nick the surface of 'forever,' because forever is infinite.

Even to be in heaven, or any pleasant place for that matter, 'forever' is still an absolutely terrifying thing to contemplate.  Human beings are linear.  We're finite, having a beginning and an end.  Our minds are also linear, and can comprehend finite things--things with beginnings and ends.  Try to comprehend something that is infinite, and a human being can approach madness. 

An afterlife is to exist after death.  It's a state of being.  I can handle that.  The duration, if it's forever, that I can't handle.

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »

I'm not so much hung up on the idea of an 'afterlife' as I am on the notion of 'forever.'  If you've ever tried to crawl all the way up inside that concept, you know it's terrifying. 

One hundred and eighty million years could pass one hundred and eighty million times, and not even nick the surface of 'forever,' because forever is infinite.

Even to be in heaven, or any pleasant place for that matter, 'forever' is still an absolutely terrifying thing to contemplate.  Human beings are linear.  We're finite, having a beginning and an end.  Our minds are also linear, and can comprehend finite things--things with beginnings and ends.  Try to comprehend something that is infinite, and a human being can approach madness. 

An afterlife is to exist after death.  It's a state of being.  I can handle that.  The duration, if it's forever, that I can't handle.

I understand exactly what you mean because I have contemplated "forever" and "infinite" many times before. If approached through human rationality alone, it is indeed impossible to grasp and even frightening. It is God who is infinite and eternal. Yet, through union with God man can part-take of God's eternity and share into His life. Man can be a temple of the infinite, can be a god. Man is created in the image and likeness of God, and this is actually much more frightening that the infinite itself. Smiley

Scott

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 03:14:57 AM »

Having knowledge of God and His Kingdom (wouldn't call it after-life since life begins here and continues after physical death) is not the same as believing in them, having faith. Faith is the only way, the first step towards God who is a transcendent personal reality, is Love, and so human rationalities and proofs cannot take man beyond himself to God. Only through the heart we can actually have knowledge of God, have actual revelation of Him. Of course, God needs to reveal Himself, or else we are powerless in knowing Him.  So, He does not allow Himself to be trapped by the human mind or scientific method as if He is some sort of phenomenon without a personal will -- which could be understood only through the transcendent reality of love.

I think you're saying that all you need is faith in God, coupled with God's revelation of Himself to you. Is that accurate? If that's true then any religion pretty much has the same teachings (have faith in God) and claim that their god has revealed himself to them. So how do we know who is right? It seems like the true God, if He wanted to be known, would leave some sort of physical scientific evidence (or something) of His existence.

I'm not so much hung up on the idea of an 'afterlife' as I am on the notion of 'forever.'  If you've ever tried to crawl all the way up inside that concept, you know it's terrifying.  

An afterlife is to exist after death.  It's a state of being.  I can handle that.  The duration, if it's forever, that I can't handle.
I don't know if its terrifying. . .
When I have tried to think about it, it is hard to wrap my mind around.
However, the idea of forever is one of the problems I have with the idea of an afterlife. I cant imagine living forever. It seems a tad absurd to me. I don't view my soul coming out of my body when I'm dead (or however you view life after death), I naturally view myself as being in nothingness; ceasing to exist. Further, I wouldn't want to exist forever. Does anyone, really?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:24:17 AM by Scott » Logged

"To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
Confucius
xOrthodox4Christx
OC.net guru

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

xOrthodox4Christx
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 03:25:16 AM »

I believe in the afterlife, but I don't see a problem with doubting, it's understandable.

My posting on this forum is currently on hiatus, until mid-June 2014.

Have a nice spring. Smiley
Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Greece

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 05:37:13 PM »

Christ taught about after life... So there is our proof...
When doubts come ignore them and pray... Wink

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 10:23:52 PM »

I like to think about life after,to me is as all that is good is shown,that time as we know it does not exist and love IS.
Robert scho

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »

Hi all, god bless;

Heres a concept on infinity.
Is it possible that the pure feedom in Christ is such a higher blessing than anyone could possibly know here that it would cast enough of a shadow on our existance here to be a detriment to our short test here?
I know this may push the boundries a bit.

Of course the reverse of this being of equal detriment only negatively.
I truely believe that the highest pleasure here might look like a "wippin",in comparison to heavens least.
Of which when considered in this light may help curtail the worse sins considering truth shed on sin shows its true worthless ugliness?

Faith enduring to the end of this life in Christ especially through the one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox church will net us an eternity we dont fully understand.

Our God saves us from a Powerful Advesary that we never could have seen coming and in his infinite grace loves and saves us.
We consider eternity and fear and what trumps infinity is the eternal grace of god,

For a Christian ending to our life, painless, blameless, peaceful; and a good defense before the dread judgement seat of Christ, let us ask of the Lord.
And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End.
Nicene
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 09:39:58 PM »

There are times when that doubt enters into the mind, like "What will this all amount to in the end?" But when I think about it, when I think on Christ I put such doubts away and I see his ressurection as the defeater of that. The defeater of death.

Thank you.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 09:46:39 PM »

This begs the question if time itself even exists in "forever". Wouldn't worry about it myself.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 07:38:28 AM »

I have no problem with the concept of afterlife.  Why is it easier to believe in the paradox of God and not the paradox of the afterlife?

Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
Elder

Faith: Old Believer
Jurisdiction: Chapelist

What's the big deal?

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »

Whenever I hear about people having doubts or trouble with certain concepts, I can't help but feel a bit uneasy about myself.

I find that I accept most things as they are. The Trinity? No problem! Afterlife? Sounds good! God became man so that man might become God? Why would I believe anything else?!

I don't doubt any part of the faith but am at a loss about why that is. Am I simply gullible or naive? How come it's so easy to take it all wholesale?

I've never struggled with belief. Never thought anything of it. I just believe, or at least think I do.

The problem with neologisms is that, until they catch on, no one knows what they mean.
Malina

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Patriarchate

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 09:15:24 AM »

In my opinion life is infinity, but it`s difficult to understand with our earthly sense of mind only. You know that for God 1 year could be as 1000 years and 1000 years could be as 1. If we believe in God, we must also believe in afterlife also, one without the other is impossible.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 09:54:12 AM »

No, so many innocents suffer torture & death from tyrants (from common gangsters to poltical leaders) that there must be the hope for them to be healed &  accountability for those who inflict pain. There must be, as hard as it might seem, the hope of forgiveness for all & we must take care to be accountable for own actions.

Antiochian OC N.A.
eyesmile

Faith: Christian

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »

I think in a way we will cease to exist as we are now in this temporal body and that is what you may be sensing, but think of others like friends or family near and dear even the Saints that have passed over and how spiritually alive they are.

Luk 20:38  For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.
1Co 2:9  But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
1Co 13:12  For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: