OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 04:28:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convert living with RC parents  (Read 601 times) Average Rating: 0
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« on: October 20, 2013, 12:43:56 AM »

Greetings,

I'm a college student who through careful study and prayer has come to embrace the teachings of the Orthodox Church and holds her beliefs as my own.  However, I'm still living at home while I attend college and both of my parents are lifelong Roman Catholics and I've attended Mass with them nearly every week since I can remember.  So far I haven't made my intent to convert to Orthodoxy a pressing issue with my family, but for the past three weeks I've been intending to attend Vespers and Matins at one of the local Orthodox churches yet every week something has come up with either my immediate or extended family (we have all gone through a hard loss in the past 3 months) that has prevented me from doing so.

I have three questions: What is the best way to discuss Orthodoxy with non-Orthodox family members? Would it be best to delay my outward conversion until I either have more freedom or things calm down? And, in the event that family events do prevent me from attending future divine services/liturgies what should I do?

Thank you, and God bless.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 01:22:38 AM »

Welcome to the forum. Middle question first.  What stage are you at? Have you talked to the Orthodox Priest about converting? There's really no hurry. It's relatively  common for people to be inquirers for a year of more before becoming catechumen and to be catechumen for at least another year before joining the Church. So, I at least, would say there's no harm in taking things slow. Go to the Vespers and Matins as you indicated. Which brings us to the third question. If there's no hurry just keep planning to go. I would think you can't be stopped all the time, so if you can't make one go to the next. As to the first question I didn't have the kind of experience with that which you describe so someone else may be better equipped to help with that.

Countdown to Chrismations and Baptisms
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 01:33:39 AM »

I'm converting too, I've pretty much made up my mind.  laugh

However, I also find that I need more time to deal with personal issues and learn some more about the liturgy.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 01:33:52 AM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Sam G
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 03:08:28 PM »

Maximum Bob,

I've had lengthy conversations with a local priest.  It was his recommendation that I start attending the services on Saturday night to ease into Orthodox liturgical life.  If I could attend with some consistency I'd be enrolled as a catechumen.

Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »

Ah, very good.  Like I mentioned previously,  there is time.  Though I would be a terrible example to follow given my own impatience at the same stage,  still for me patient or not,  it happened in God's good time.  If you may learn from me keep moving forward one step at a time, as your able, and give the timing to God.

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »

Since Orthodoxy isn't very different from Catholicism, it shouldn't come as too much a shock. Perhaps the best things to emphasize when telling them about the Orthodox Church is that it, like Catholicism believes that the Eucharist is truly the Body and Blood of Christ. The Orthodox also have a strong veneration of the Mother of God and the Saints. Start of common ground I suppose.
orthodox4life

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »

Greetings,

I'm a college student who through careful study and prayer has come to embrace the teachings of the Orthodox Church and holds her beliefs as my own.  However, I'm still living at home while I attend college and both of my parents are lifelong Roman Catholics and I've attended Mass with them nearly every week since I can remember.  So far I haven't made my intent to convert to Orthodoxy a pressing issue with my family, but for the past three weeks I've been intending to attend Vespers and Matins at one of the local Orthodox churches yet every week something has come up with either my immediate or extended family (we have all gone through a hard loss in the past 3 months) that has prevented me from doing so.

I have three questions: What is the best way to discuss Orthodoxy with non-Orthodox family members? Would it be best to delay my outward conversion until I either have more freedom or things calm down? And, in the event that family events do prevent me from attending future divine services/liturgies what should I do?

Thank you, and God bless.

I know you want your parents to be supportive but be prepared for the worst. I say that because it may be a shock for them at first. Give them time to get use to the idea and let them see a change in you. A living example is always the best witness.

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »

involve them early.
mention that you have read a bit of church history and would like to take a look at the orthodox church.

play it cool.
don't mention the word 'convert'!

if they freak out, patiently ask them what it is about the orthodox church that freaks them out, and listen quietly.
they have lived longer than you, so may have tales they want to share.

if they freak out a lot, leave it a month or two before you mention it again (eg. you could say how you 'popped in' to the church the other week).
Sam G
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 11:30:09 PM »

Thank you all for your replies.

I've attended small compline and vespers for the past two weeks.  It has brought me more peace than anything else I have experienced.

Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 12:50:04 AM »

Glad to hear it.

Tags: roman catholic  parents  Family  convert issues 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: