OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 11:16:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Masters of the Far East"  (Read 548 times) Average Rating: 0
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« on: October 19, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »

So someone referenced this book on Facebook called the Masters of the Far East by Baird T. Spalding. I started reading it and the author speaks of his time in the Far East, esspecially India. He said he met there a certain Master whom he called Emil, who used to show him a lot of things, communicate with nature, birds and even enter through locked doors, placed himself between two jackals that were eating a pray, etc. He said there were many such like masters in India, who are in harmony with nature and animals and often place themselves as mediators on behalf of people and protect villages, putting their bodies in front of villages, because wild animals don't attack them and so on. The author seemed to say that this masters he met did all that Jesus did and even more (as according to him even Jesus said people will). He even said there are masters in India over 500 years old who can prove it with papers. I just read a part of it, and I am interested to hear your feedback. What do you think?

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »

The author seemed to say that this masters he met did all that Jesus did and even more (as according to him even Jesus said people will). He even said there are masters in India over 500 years old who can prove it with papers. I just read a part of it, and I am interested to hear your feedback. What do you think?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 05:09:44 PM »

I do know that Spalding's claims have never been proven. Appearently, he never produced any evidence that he had been to India at all, and the other scientists, described as taking part in the expedition, has never been identified. Even if there existed immortal spiritual masters in India and Tibet, I would wonder why we haven't heard about them before.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:10:23 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 05:18:39 PM »

I am not at all surprised.  I read The Gurus, the Young Man and Elder Paisius last year and it describes quite a bit of spiritual forces at work in India and how they relate to the spirituality of Mt. Athos. http://www.stherman.com/Catalog/Elder_Paisios/guru_book.htm
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 05:22:04 PM »

I do know that Spalding's claims have never been proven. Appearently, he never produced any evidence that he had been to India at all, and the other scientists, described as taking part in the expedition, has never been identified. Even if there existed immortal spiritual masters in India and Tibet, I would wonder why we haven't heard about them before.

That affirmation is what stroke me the most. About 500 years old spiritual masters.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »

That affirmation is what stroke me the most. About 500 years old spiritual masters.

Didn't you laugh when you heard that?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 06:42:14 PM »

What do I think? Whom do these "Masters" serve, assuming they actually exist? And as for 500 year old folk, methinks a little poetic license is being used, i.e. they are considerably younger but incredibly wrinkled.

During one visit a local told showed me a road junction with a circular low walled enclosure in the middle. Apparently this was the site of child sacrifices to Matta Kali. So I guess we might assume that these "Masters" serve some similar deity and are something to be avoided.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »

Didn't you laugh when you heard that?

There are people back home who don't know how old they are because of non-existent or poor records.  It wouldn't surprise me if some claimed to be five hundred years old.  It also wouldn't surprise me if a white man seeking spirituality in the Far East believed it unquestioningly.  

I love you, white people, but really, sometimes you are just so silly!   Kiss

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »

I am not at all surprised.  I read The Gurus, the Young Man and Elder Paisius last year and it describes quite a bit of spiritual forces at work in India and how they relate to the spirituality of Mt. Athos. http://www.stherman.com/Catalog/Elder_Paisios/guru_book.htm

The Gurus... is an interesting account of one person's spiritual troubles, and his experience in one particular Indian religious sect, but as far as providing generalizations about Indian religion (or even worse, "the East") it's pretty worthless.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »

So someone referenced this book on Facebook called the Masters of the Far East by Baird T. Spalding. I started reading it and the author speaks of his time in the Far East, esspecially India. He said he met there a certain Master whom he called Emil, who used to show him a lot of things, communicate with nature, birds and even enter through locked doors, placed himself between two jackals that were eating a pray, etc. He said there were many such like masters in India, who are in harmony with nature and animals and often place themselves as mediators on behalf of people and protect villages, putting their bodies in front of villages, because wild animals don't attack them and so on. The author seemed to say that this masters he met did all that Jesus did and even more (as according to him even Jesus said people will). He even said there are masters in India over 500 years old who can prove it with papers. I just read a part of it, and I am interested to hear your feedback. What do you think?

First of all, I hate the title. Like the "Far East" is one monolithic religious block. India itself has crazy loads of competing, or at least very different, religions and traditions. I'm surprised people are still coming out with books with titles like this... I would expect it to have been published ca. 1895. Whatevs.

That said, there are all kinds of crazy stories to be heard about magic, wizards, ghosts, immortals, etc. for anyone who ants to hear them. In Daoism (which is China's closest equivalent to Hinduism) you hear about a lot of this stuff. My mom had all kinds of crazy stories about magic and witches from the jungle she grew up in.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 07:11:50 PM »

I've witnessed magic before ...  Smiley
Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »

First of all, I hate the title. Like the "Far East" is one monolithic religious block. India itself has crazy loads of competing, or at least very different, religions and traditions. I'm surprised people are still coming out with books with titles like this... I would expect it to have been published ca. 1895. Whatevs.

That said, there are all kinds of crazy stories to be heard about magic, wizards, ghosts, immortals, etc. for anyone who ants to hear them. In Daoism (which is China's closest equivalent to Hinduism) you hear about a lot of this stuff. My mom had all kinds of crazy stories about magic and witches from the jungle she grew up in.

This response reminds me of a Human Resources run 'Diversity awareness' training day when the usual and misleading term 'Asian' was used to describe people who originated from the Indian sub-continent. Such a rumpus followed when the course facilitator then tried to bring an Anatolian Turk and a Philipina into that same umbrella term. The language of these two objectors was good old Anglo-Saxon and suggested the nice middle class facilitator might rethink her text book view of Multiculturalism. Just travelling down one side of this immense sub-Continent brings into contacts with a raft of different languages, cultures and religions. Go to Malaysia and again a rich diversity. 'The Far East' actually seeks to encompass much but actually tells you nothing.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:22:41 PM by Santagranddad » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »

This response reminds me of a Human Resources run 'Diversity awareness' training day when the usual and misleading term 'Asian' was used to describe people who originated from the Indian sub-continent.

In America, "Asian" means "Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc."  Indians are "Indian".  Americans make me laugh, and I am one.  Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »

This response reminds me of a Human Resources run 'Diversity awareness' training day when the usual and misleading term 'Asian' was used to describe people who originated from the Indian sub-continent.

In America, "Asian" means "Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc."  Indians are "Indian".  Americans make me laugh, and I am one.  Wink

In the UK Asian almost invariably means from the sub-Continent. Everyone else gets labelled "Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, etc." A complete reversal of the way it is done on the other side of pond. Roll Eyes

Nought so queer as folk.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »

The Gurus... is an interesting account of one person's spiritual troubles, and his experience in one particular Indian religious sect, but as far as providing generalizations about Indian religion (or even worse, "the East") it's pretty worthless.

Some people might have the attitude that Eastern religions are simply misguided philosophies with empty rituals. 
Some people look at evidence of spiritual feats as affirmation of the validity of the particular tradition.  This particular assumption I sensed in the OP perhaps mistakenly.

A book like The Gurus... may help people gain an insight into the reality that there are many spiritual feats that may lie behind some of those "philosophies" and "rituals" but should at least question the true nature and origin of those spiritual feats.

I would NOT recommend the The Gurus... to someone who would want the sort of book you describe as . . .
providing generalizations about Indian religion (or even worse, "the East")

Peace

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »

Masters seems to be in the same genre as Nicholas Notovitch's The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ or even Paramahansa Yogananda's The Second Coming of Christ, in which one of the purposes is actually a defense of Christianity against a modern materialism/physicalism that presumes to reject as impossible various phenomena not currently explainable via a modern materialistic/physicalist framework. By showing the existence of a culture in which such phenomena still occur and are not denigrated as violating the laws of the cosmos, the facile dismissal of Christianity by the modern West, becomes less defensible.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:34:25 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 03:27:56 PM »

Masters seems to be in the same genre as Nicholas Notovitch's The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ or even Paramahansa Yogananda's The Second Coming of Christ, in which one of the purposes is actually a defense of Christianity against a modern materialism/physicalism that presumes to reject as impossible various phenomena not currently explainable via a modern materialistic/physicalist framework. By showing the existence of a culture in which such phenomena still occur and are not denigrated as violating the laws of the cosmos, the facile dismissal of Christianity by the modern West, becomes less defensible.

Well I stopped reading the book, because it became obscure to me from the first pages. It certaintly makes some big claims. Do you think those claims are real? Do you think such things still happen and exist in India today? How do you explain the existence of those things in a Tradition different than Christianity?
 Banned for creating a duplicate user account, sending a harassing PM, and for repeated violations of the forum rules.

+ Fr. George
Forum Administrator
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 10:49:10 AM »

At this point I just assume all Romanian posters are Dan in disguise until proven otherwise. Grin
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 11:06:24 AM »

EVerytime I see this topic on the list, my mind turns to 'Masters of the Universe' a cartoon which my kids watched thirty years ago.....
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »

I watched it, too.  Great fun.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 07:36:43 AM »

At this point I just assume all Romanian posters are Dan in disguise until proven otherwise. Grin

At the registration page we should add the question "Are you Dan-Romania?" The application of the one who fills in yes should then be automatically deleted.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:37:00 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: