OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 07:33:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the prison thread  (Read 507 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: October 18, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »

I wanted to open up discussion on the nature of prisons and their current state. I'm on the phone right now but ill throw up something more concrete.

I feel that our prisons are in need of much reform. Maybe even the idea of punishing we need to address first. Who decides someone gets x number of years anyway.

Supposedly prison rape in the States has gone down since they passed that law, but I don't know.

Anyone have any experience being in prison?

I wouldn't be able to handle it if I had to go.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »

Who decides someone gets x number of years anyway.

The state.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »

The state.
But who decides that say tax evasion is 8 years and whatever crime.

It just seems wholly arbitrary to me.

Judges have to be the worst people. I think judges will be judged much more harshly by Christ on the Last Judgement.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:21:02 PM »

There was a thread all about this in "Politics", IIRC.  Which is not to say it can't be discussed again here.  I've never been to prison.  The closest I ever got was driving by some.  

Was going to be part of a prison ministry in the Orthodox parish I had been a member of, but it never came to fruition.  Oh well....

Marc has experience in prison, but not as a prisoner I'm pretty sure.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »

The state.

Judges have to be the worst people. I think judges will be judged much more harshly by Christ on the Last Judgement.

Again, the state.  Some crimes in some states carry mandatory sentences.  Other laws don't but have sentencing guidelines applied by juries and/or judges. 

Did you want to discuss prisons or the pre-prison experience?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 03:25:21 PM »

The state.

They're so judgmental...

Proverbs 22:7
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »

The state.

In America is is the legislature that judges from state house.

Anyway, I've wasted too much time here today. We'll talk about this seriously another and not here.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 04:11:01 PM »

Having spent more days in the court system as an observer than I care to recount, I hate, hate, hate mandatory minimum sentences. Some/most of those sentences were passed by legislators to express displeasure with the class most likely to commit the crimes associated with them, while others were the result of a local need to keep prisons full.

Of course, there are ways around such things. One local judge will give a 20-year sentence and suspend all but one day of it upon the payment of a nominal fine. It still goes on the book as a 20-year sentence, but for many offenders credit for time served bounces them free that day. (Most crack offenders can't afford the bond and sit in jail for months awaiting trial or an opportunity to plead out.) The judge usually does this for lesser drug offenses.

If we're talking about jail/prison conditions themselves, of the three prisons/county lockups I've been in (again, as an observer), two were on exhibit especially because the people who run them think they border on the side of endangerment.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:12:32 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 07:58:49 PM »

I wanted to open up discussion on the nature of prisons and their current state. I'm on the phone right now but ill throw up something more concrete.

I feel that our prisons are in need of much reform. Maybe even the idea of punishing we need to address first. Who decides someone gets x number of years anyway.

Supposedly prison rape in the States has gone down since they passed that law, but I don't know.

I taught a class at Jessup State Prison ( "The Cut" ) for two years. The guards were scarier than the prisoners.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 08:18:45 PM »

I taught a class at Jessup State Prison ( "The Cut" ) for two years. The guards were scarier than the prisoners.
So did that really affect the behavior of the inmates?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »

The only thing I know about prisons is how inmates work out.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 10:19:24 PM »

That prison workout stuff is hilarious.  It makes me want to vomit.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 10:24:15 PM »

That prison workout stuff is hilarious.  It makes me want to vomit.

Why? It uses the same techniques as a lot of athletes. Military and police pretty much train exclusively using bodyweight and calisthenics.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 11:42:25 AM »

If you know the local laws and follow them then you won't get in trouble + sent to jail.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 01:45:54 PM »

If you know the local laws and follow them then you won't get in trouble + sent to jail.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:46:25 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »

Which movie is this from?

"Is that how it works in your neighborhood Leroy?"

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »

I got arrested once but I wasn't taken to prison or jail. They checked me into some home for troubled yuoth for the night. My dad went to prison once.

Anyhow, I think the ultimate problem with our prison system is overcrowding. Simply put, 90% of the people in prison don't really belong there. You can blame the "War on Drugs" for that. Many of these people who are nothing other than harmless drug users are coming out of prison worse than when they went in. A drug addict doesn't belong in the same environment as a convicted rapist, murderer, or robber.

End this ridiculous War on Drugs and then maybe we can begin some prison reforms.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: