OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:15:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: was someone rude to you on the internet?  (Read 527 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: October 17, 2013, 11:23:50 PM »

Proverbs 22:7
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:33:53 PM »

sometimes it is not a joke.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 11:56:49 PM »

Yes and I run to my mommy, crying .
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:31:18 AM »

I bet most of these people who like to bully people online are complete cowards in real life. That's why they hide behind their online pseudonyms. They probably never learned any real life social skills. It's pathetic really. But heck, if that's the only way they know how to build their self-esteem, so be it. Some of us are able to see it for what it is. So when we encourage others not to be boors online, we're actually trying to deter them from disclosing their inferiority complexes.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:33:52 AM »

So are you going to pass this form out in the "I don't like the Forum anymore" thread, Tallitot?
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 12:58:24 AM »

I bet most of these people who like to bully people online are complete cowards in real life. That's why they hide behind their online pseudonyms. They probably never learned any real life social skills. It's pathetic really. But heck, if that's the only way they know how to build their self-esteem, so be it. Some of us are able to see it for what it is. So when we encourage others not to be boors online, we're actually trying to deter them from disclosing their inferiority complexes.

Selam

This secret was divulged the day after the internet was put online for the general public.  Yes, that's exactly what those kinds of people do.  Not sure I agree with leaving it be, though.  Leaving it be is, imo, the main reason the internet, nearly every crack and crevice, is largely the bully's sandbox.  It's mob rule.  You have the truth that you really can't police 'stupid,' but then also, people need to stand up to that stuff.  When we leave it be, we condone it as acceptable behavior.  If you conducted yourself that way at work, you'd get fired.  If you did it at school (presumably when a teacher is around, and not in, like, a bathroom stall or the gym's locker rooms) then you'd get suspended or expelled.  If you did that at a friend or relative's house, you'd get shown the door.  We have to hold to even minimal standards of conduct, and yes, even on the internet.  It does appear that the mods on this forum look out for that sort of thing.  And if someone's a boor, it will manifest itself in other areas as well, so their secret's not really safe, even on a site where their snarkiness can result in punitive action.

As a PS to the OP, that form is hilarious.  I saved it to my computer.  I might alter it a tad, but I laughed my butt off.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:00:23 AM by newtoorthodoxy » Logged

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »

Your heart is pounding. Your face is red. Your fingers are shaking. Someone was rude to you on the internet.

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 03:19:52 AM »

Selam

This secret was divulged the day after the internet was put online for the general public.  Yes, that's exactly what those kinds of people do.  Not sure I agree with leaving it be, though.  Leaving it be is, imo, the main reason the internet, nearly every crack and crevice, is largely the bully's sandbox.  It's mob rule.  You have the truth that you really can't police 'stupid,' but then also, people need to stand up to that stuff.  When we leave it be, we condone it as acceptable behavior.  If you conducted yourself that way at work, you'd get fired.  If you did it at school (presumably when a teacher is around, and not in, like, a bathroom stall or the gym's locker rooms) then you'd get suspended or expelled.  If you did that at a friend or relative's house, you'd get shown the door.  We have to hold to even minimal standards of conduct, and yes, even on the internet.  It does appear that the mods on this forum look out for that sort of thing.  And if someone's a boor, it will manifest itself in other areas as well, so their secret's not really safe, even on a site where their snarkiness can result in punitive action.

As a PS to the OP, that form is hilarious.  I saved it to my computer.  I might alter it a tad, but I laughed my butt off.

This world has always been full of that rudeness , that is what the Gospels are about. Man is inherently evil and we are saved by the grace of God because we were incapable of keeping the law. I have seen bullying done by the teachers when I was young, and the bosses who steal, and friends who are rude as a way of life. Which actually according to God we are all evil.

If you look throughout history you see the so called civilised taking advantage of the so called barbarians, Blacks , Indians Jews and so on , so really what is perceived by the majority as civilized is seen through one way glasses.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 09:35:35 AM »

This is EXCELLENT!!!  I, too, have saved it to my computer.  One of your best posts EVER!!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:44:21 AM »

Selam

did you actually read through the form, Gebre?  Most of the "charges" have nothing to do with bullying but with people taking things WAY too seriously and personally, reading into others' posts and revealing their own insecurities.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 10:18:35 AM »

Selam
For the record, I am a complete coward in real life.  If I wasn't, I would be telling people rude things to their face instead of online.  Unfortunately, that usually ends up with me getting punched in the teeth.  You can only lose so many teeth before it makes life difficult.  Wink

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 10:46:36 AM »

Selam
For the record, I am a complete coward in real life.  If I wasn't, I would be telling people rude things to their face instead of online.  Unfortunately, that usually ends up with me getting punched in the teeth.  You can only lose so many teeth before it makes life difficult.  Wink

I stopped punching people in the teeth around fourth grade. It hurts way more than its worth.

So we should do OK.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 10:49:34 AM »

Selam

I stopped punching people in the teeth around fourth grade. It hurts way more than its worth.

So we should do OK.
Are you asking me out on a date?  If so, I accept.  Kiss

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »

Selam

So we should do OK.
Are you asking me out on a date?  If so, I accept.  Kiss

Well....who'da thunk it?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
WPM
Archon

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »

lol kinda sorta funny
WPM
Archon

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 12:24:26 PM »

Selam

I don't think that is necessarily true - while searching,browsing,and posting online. It is also search for people in real life.

lovetzatziki
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »

Selam

I said the same thing :

I think the main problem is some people consider this sort of fora / forum a joke while others take it seriously, seeking real spiritual dialogue and guidance on them. The problem is the first types. This is a Christian forum not a secular one. All the dialogues of this forum should be consumed under Christian ethics and politeness. The first types will always ridicule, make fun , disregard the spiritual questions of others and be THE TROLLS of the forum. The first category are here for the wrong motives and should be surveiled more strictly. The first type are probably the ones who need medical help. They probably don't go out in secular communities(online or in real life) doing this and come here to express their repressed emotions. They clearly are in disorder(both psychologically and in behaviour) so discipline is their medicine. Forum discipline and strict moderation can do nothing but help them, and help improve the forum, and help the people who are here for the good reasons. This is the solution by far. The forum off-topic trolls the "disordering" types, need discipline. They are sick and need treatment and need to let the rest who seek real spiritual dialogue in peace and stop disturbing them.

Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »

Selam

This world has always been full of that rudeness , that is what the Gospels are about. Man is inherently evil and we are saved by the grace of God because we were incapable of keeping the law. I have seen bullying done by the teachers when I was young, and the bosses who steal, and friends who are rude as a way of life. Which actually according to God we are all evil.

If you look throughout history you see the so called civilised taking advantage of the so called barbarians, Blacks , Indians Jews and so on , so really what is perceived by the majority as civilized is seen through one way glasses.

The mass murder of blacks, Indians and Jews is really rude.

Emily Post would never have tolerated it!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: