Author Topic: When Christianity goes bad...  (Read 1891 times)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
When Christianity goes bad...
« on: October 17, 2013, 08:17:59 AM »
A teenage girl in France narrowly survived a violent week-long crucifixion-style exorcism.

Police discovered the emaciated 19-year-old at a housing estate in Grigny, a southern Paris suburb, where she was allegedly bound to a mattress for a week in the position of Christ. AFP reports the girl was found dehydrated, in a state of shock and showed signs of having been beaten.

Four former members of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, including the victim’s boyfriend, are accused of carrying out the week-long crucifixion of the Cameroonian teenager to expel ‘her demons’.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/08/teenage-girl-crucified-in-france_n_4064821.html

This is why the Church is needed, because when people come up with their own ideas about religion, bad things happen.
God bless!

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Re: When Christianity goes bad...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:21:53 AM »
There was almost identical happening in a monastery in Romania a couple of years ago. The nun did not survive.

Idiots are everywhere.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 08:36:36 AM »
There was almost identical happening in a monastery in Romania a couple of years ago. The nun did not survive.

Idiots are everywhere.
I think I remember that.  As I recall, the Church had condemned the priest's methods and he did it anyways.  Still, I agree, idiots are everywhere.
God bless!

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:42:11 AM »

Idiots are everywhere.

I wouldn't call the two cases "identical".

In psychiatric wards patients used to be immobilized in countless ways. People with outstretched arms tied and feet bound together may vaguely resemble crucifixion. That doesn't have any ritualistic connotation - except for media snobs.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »
Most of my opinions about Chritianity gone bad are intertwined with politics, so...move on ....there's nothing here.....

Offline Eastern Mind

• High Elder
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch (Maronite)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:03:00 AM »
This happened to a poor girl named Annilesie Michel in the 60s, I think. Poor girl was starved to death and given no water. The Exorcism of Emily Rose is based off that story.
My anime double posts here.

^^^ It's been so long since I've been here I literally have no idea what that is even referring to o_O

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »
This happened to a poor girl named Annilesie Michel in the 60s, I think. Poor girl was starved to death and given no water. The Exorcism of Emily Rose is based off that story.

Are you sure her family refused to give her food or water or that the (Catholic) priests forbade it?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Lord have mercy.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »
A teenage girl in France narrowly survived a violent week-long crucifixion-style exorcism.

Police discovered the emaciated 19-year-old at a housing estate in Grigny, a southern Paris suburb, where she was allegedly bound to a mattress for a week in the position of Christ. AFP reports the girl was found dehydrated, in a state of shock and showed signs of having been beaten.

Four former members of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, including the victim’s boyfriend, are accused of carrying out the week-long crucifixion of the Cameroonian teenager to expel ‘her demons’.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/08/teenage-girl-crucified-in-france_n_4064821.html

This is why the Church is needed, because when people come up with their own ideas about religion, bad things happen.
Really?

Though to be fair, the last's denomination booted him out.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth