OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 05:28:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discerning good/bad advice over the internet?  (Read 826 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: October 17, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »

Since the internet is a wonderful world full of enchantments with the inclusion of feeblishly deranged minds, how does one seperate the wheat from the chaff?

I'm more so talking about advice in general, whether it be from dating, to finances, to careers, to fixing cars, to religion, to whatever you can imagine.

There is no shortage of stupidity in all of these categories, but even more so the sheep that follow it as gospel. I'm always a bit cynical whenever a large group of people agree on a particular piece of advice that is given on whatever subject.

Sometimes I will read something that will ring true but ends up actually being false. I just wish there was an easier way to parse through the enormous amount of information and get only the good stuff.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:34:53 AM »

Do not ask about anything serious some strangers to begin with?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 08:38:55 AM »

Well I think having anonymity when posting something serious gives you some privacy. For some it allows them to be more honest and not have a mask on.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »

Well I think having anonymity when posting something serious gives you some privacy. For some it allows them to be more honest and not have a mask on.

Same for people who respond you.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »

If you are afraid of being taken in by idiots and group-think, do some independent research before asking anything, just like you presumably would before bringing up the issue before non-internet people. Some things like dating can't really be decided this way, but in that case I'd prefer the advice of someone who you know who is successful at dating over random internet strangers who claim to be. Actually, the same goes for pretty much anything. The internet is better for sharing ideas and getting other perspectives than for making life decisions. You've got live with those. xTRUESTxORTHOxMONK@ECUMENIZM-IS-SATANIZM.NET does not.

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 08:57:09 AM »

Since the internet is a wonderful world full of enchantments with the inclusion of feeblishly deranged minds, how does one seperate the wheat from the chaff?

I'm more so talking about advice in general, whether it be from dating, to finances, to careers, to fixing cars, to religion, to whatever you can imagine.

There is no shortage of stupidity in all of these categories, but even more so the sheep that follow it as gospel. I'm always a bit cynical whenever a large group of people agree on a particular piece of advice that is given on whatever subject.

Sometimes I will read something that will ring true but ends up actually being false. I just wish there was an easier way to parse through the enormous amount of information and get only the good stuff.
I have found that the best advice generally comes from me, so if you have questions about anything pertaining to your life, they would best be directed to me along with a generous gift, and I will give you the wisdom that you crave.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 09:01:29 AM »

Anonymity is not a mask?  Nothing beats talking with real, live people who are experienced in such matters.  It's even better if it's someone you know and respect.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »

Anonymity is not a mask?  Nothing beats talking with real, live people who are experienced in such matters.  It's even better if it's someone you know and respect.

^This is the correct answer to Achrono's question. 

Triggie was kinda close, but really, for all internet related advice matters, it would be ME, not him that one should turn to.  I am, after all, not a real, live person.  Gratuities accepted but not required.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:53:10 AM »

Anonymity is not a mask?  Nothing beats talking with real, live people who are experienced in such matters.  It's even better if it's someone you know and respect.

Triggie was kinda close, but really, for all internet related advice matters, it would be ME, not him that one should turn to.  I am, after all, not a real, live person.  Gratuities accepted but not required.
You get what you pay for.  Go with someone who expects payment. Besides, J Michael barely even knows how to use a computer.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:53:33 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 10:02:45 AM »

Anonymity is not a mask?  Nothing beats talking with real, live people who are experienced in such matters.  It's even better if it's someone you know and respect.

Triggie was kinda close, but really, for all internet related advice matters, it would be ME, not him that one should turn to.  I am, after all, not a real, live person.  Gratuities accepted but not required.
You get what you pay for.  Go with someone who expects payment. Besides, J Michael barely even knows how to use a computer.

My inability ot use a komputer is in on whey connected ot the far superior advice (based on a MUCH longer tenure no this plant than Triggie can lay claim ot) that I have ot offer for FREE as a Christian offering two those in need.  I will get whatever reward is due me in H.......... Grin  (And no, I don't mean Hawaii!).

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 10:03:42 AM »

Feed me some delicious food, I'll give you advice.  Cash works, too. Wink

TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »

take it from her :-P
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »

I have a stash of the finest Northwestern Mongolian earwax.  What will that get me?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »

Trust ME, I'm NOT a doctor  Grin Grin.  (But I could pretend to be one.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:09:47 AM by J Michael » Logged

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »

You approach things with sobriety and discern good from bad. It really has to do with how much delusion is in ourselves; that's how we end getting fooled by false advice.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 10:14:20 AM »

No, thanks.  She's not real. Smiley

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 10:18:01 AM »

No, thanks.  She's not real. Smiley

Oh, great...She's not real, and he's an escaped inmate masquerading as a psychiatrist.  Wonderful.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »

I have a stash of the finest Northwestern Mongolian earwax.  What will that get me?

How much are we talking about here?  Prices sky-rocketed because of the US government shutdown; those politicians were buying all available NW Mongolian earwax.  They were getting so desperate that even Brooklyn non-virgin earwax was getting up to $30 an ounce!  You might want to get with my broker and get a great deal while prices are still good.

As far as advice for earwax, I can make you the finest shorlog and buuz all downed with delicious airag.  Maybe some boodog, too.  All seasoned with your stash.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 10:30:39 AM »

How much are we talking about here?  Prices sky-rocketed because of the US government shutdown; those politicians were buying all available NW Mongolian earwax.  They were getting so desperate that even Brooklyn non-virgin earwax was getting up to $30 an ounce!  You might want to get with my broker and get a great deal while prices are still good.

As far as advice for earwax, I can make you the finest shorlog and buuz all downed with delicious airag.  Maybe some boodog, too.  All seasoned with your stash.

I have roughly a pound.  It was extracted, after an amazingly difficult and dangerous but adventurous journey to the far reaches of Mongolia, from a select bevy of virgins, chosen by various elder shamans, with the utmost care and precision, over a period of many months.  Simply the finest I have yet found!

I have missed decent, let alone good shorlog and buuz since departing that fabled land.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »

I have roughly a pound.  It was extracted, after an amazingly difficult and dangerous but adventurous journey to the far reaches of Mongolia, from a select bevy of virgins, chosen by various elder shamans, with the utmost care and precision, over a period of many months.  Simply the finest I have yet found!

I have missed decent, let alone good shorlog and buuz since departing that fabled land.

Hmmm, no wonder my broker was going crazy.  The prices went up to $76,823.61 per ounce.   I bet you could get it even higher considering the time and trouble it took to acquire such a large amount.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 10:37:22 AM »

Hmmm, no wonder my broker was going crazy.  The prices went up to $76,823.61 per ounce.   I bet you could get it even higher considering the time and trouble it took to acquire such a large amount.

This is good advice.  Send me your address, social security number, and phone number and I will forward you some.  It WILL be worth your while.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 08:08:10 PM »

I listen to advice, and then do what seems good to me. The problem I have isn't with anonymous advice or that of strangers or acquaintances, but with advice from people I actually trust. Sometimes I follow that over and against my better judgment and things turn out awry.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »

I listen to advice, and then do what seems good to me. The problem I have isn't with anonymous advice or that of strangers or acquaintances, but with advice from people I actually trust. Sometimes I follow that over and against my better judgment and things turn out awry.

If you are a broken person, you gotten find a couple people to run your life for while not matter how badly till you can develop your own gut.

That is sorta the whole purpose of any therapy. Or parenting.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 12:22:12 AM »

I can't believe you found a picture like that in this context, on this of all forums. Unless Math was intentionally setting you up...the internet is an amazing place.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 09:37:36 AM »

If you are a broken person, you gotten find a couple people to run your life for while not matter how badly till you can develop your own gut.

That is sorta the whole purpose of any therapy. Or parenting.

And who amongst us is not broken, in some way?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »

Would love to get a copy of a handbook on parenting from orthonorm.

I mean since parents think kids are theirs it would make an interesting book...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:05:47 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 10:08:32 AM »

Does he have children whom he has parented?

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »

Since when is that a requirement?  Wink

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »

Since when is that a requirement?  Wink
Well I was just about to say that.

Nobody has the prior experience to be a parent.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 10:13:46 AM »

OK, I just have to ask - who is this, and may I repost this to my Facebook page??  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »

OK, I just have to ask - who is this, and may I repost this to my Facebook page??  Grin

C'mon, theistgal....It's Lucy dressed up as a priest for Halloween.  Grin

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »

I suspect it is Abbot Tryphon of All Merciful Savior Monastery (ROCOR) on Vashon Island, WA

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »

I suspect it is Abbot Tryphon of All Merciful Savior Monastery (ROCOR) on Vashon Island, WA

Very suspicious, indeed!

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »

There is a young man who would like say yes. I wish he would say no. He needs a few more years for those lessons to become clear.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 10:44:22 AM »

There is a young man who would like say yes. I wish he would say no. He needs a few more years for those lessons to become clear.

Huh

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 10:44:53 AM »

Oh and a buncha brothers and sisters some with steps.

Parenting is a lot easier than anyone can begin to believe, that is if you listen to "parents".

Wolves can parent a human child evidently. Frankly, I had been so luck.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »

Parenting is a lot easier than anyone can begin to believe, that is if you listen to "parents".

There's parenting and then there's parenting.  From your last sentence, you probably know what I mean.

I eagerly await your book (or at least a thread here) on how to be a parent, good, bad, and indifferent.  Or do I?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »

There's parenting and then there's parenting.  From your last sentence, you probably know what I mean.

I eagerly await your book (or at least a thread here) on how to be a parent, good, bad, and indifferent.  Or do I?
I want to parent my kids with no discipline.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 10:56:21 AM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »

Take things one step at a time, Achrono's.  First, find a woman who will accept your seed.  Then,....well....you know (I hope!).  Then, perhaps,  there will be little Achronos babies.....Eeek!

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 10:59:20 AM »

There's parenting and then there's parenting.  From your last sentence, you probably know what I mean.

I eagerly await your book (or at least a thread here) on how to be a parent, good, bad, and indifferent.  Or do I?
Let me know how that works out for you.  laugh

Oh, and I am mad at you for stealing my sig line that I stole from Iconodule.  You are hereby anathemized until further notice.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:59:38 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »

Is the reason why I turned out to be a lazy slob because I had no discipline?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 11:06:11 AM »

No.  You are a lazy slob because you are part of Generation Y.  Everyone knows that everyone that is in that generation is good for nothing. Gen X is where its at.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »

No.  You are a lazy slob because you are part of Generation Y.  Everyone knows that everyone that is in that generation is good for nothing. Gen X is where its at.

I was born in the wrong generation.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »

I was born in the wrong generation.
I squeaked in with a month to spare.  Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: