OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 02:11:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Titles  (Read 784 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: October 17, 2013, 05:59:18 AM »

I've noticed there are two ways to referring to priests: "Rev." and "Fr." however both are not neutral and imply some spiritual authority. Does the English have something like that but neutral? Only that notes the person is a minister.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:27:06 AM »

No.

'Fr' is short for 'Father' and is the established title for an Orthodox or Catholic clergyman of the presbyter rank, without any more bells and whistles.

Protestants, on the other hand, depending on their degree of aversion for Tradition, choose a variety of other titles to show that their clergy is not like them others. 'Rev' for 'Reverend' is the most common, although others prefer 'Dr', or throw out honorifics altogether and just say 'Pastor' or 'Parson' So-and-So.

High Church Anglicans favour 'Father' as well, but they're a small minority.

The only cases the 'Reverend' honorific is used for Orthodox clergy involve ranks from bishop and up, who can be addressed as 'Very Reverend' or 'Right Reverend' (corresponding to the Greek 'Sevasmiotatos' and 'Makariotatos').

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 06:28:26 AM »

I do not want to call eg. RC priests as "fathers".

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 06:30:35 AM »

The only cases the 'Reverend' honorific is used for Orthodox clergy involve ranks from bishop and up, who can be addressed as 'Very Reverend' or 'Right Reverend' (corresponding to the Greek 'Sevasmiotatos' and 'Makariotatos').

Not quite. Reverend, at least in written form, can be used for priests of Russian tradition in the English-speaking world.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:32:16 AM »

Tough luck, then.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 06:38:58 AM »

Certain Orthodox writers would refer to them as "pères" (with a slight derogatory nuance, as in "Frankish"). Not in French, but in Romanian, Greek, etc. 

For instance Fr. Rafail Noica, when rendering Elder Sophrony's correspondence with David Balfour from French into Romanian, left Saint Jean (of the Cross) untranslated.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »

That was unexpected. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 11:22:39 AM »

Batiushka Rose pray unto God for us.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »

I guess you refuse to call them "Roman" or "Catholic" also since they are neither of those.

Maybe "Frankish heretics" would be the most accurate?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:28:30 AM by Alpo » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »

Not quite. Reverend, at least in written form, can be used for priests of Russian tradition in the English-speaking world.

Not true, either. In the GOA 2013 Yearbook (published by the Archdiocese, btw), it clearly states that a Presbyter(priest) is to be addressed as Reverend Father (Rev. Fr.).

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Santagranddad
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 11:46:45 AM »

I my memory serves me correctly the accepted English manner for English priests was 'Mr'. British Army personnel who would never dream of calling any clergyman 'Father' quite amiably settled for 'Padre'.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 12:20:18 PM »

Not true, either. In the GOA 2013 Yearbook (published by the Archdiocese, btw), it clearly states that a Presbyter(priest) is to be addressed as Reverend Father (Rev. Fr.).

The usage I'm familiar with in English is that bishops, priests, and deacons are styled "Reverend", with the appropriate extras indicating whether the person is a bishop (e.g., "The Most Reverend"), archpriest (e.g., "The Very Reverend"), or deacon (e.g., "The Reverend Deacon" or sometimes "The Reverend Mr").  Priests are simply "The Reverend", no "Father" or anything else with it (unless they have a doctorate or something).  But this is in print. 

When addressing them personally, I don't think you should call them "Reverend Father" or "Reverend Deacon" or whatever.  It should be "Father X" or "(Father) Deacon X".  I suppose you could go with "Your Reverence", but I've never actually heard anyone do that.  It is sort of the equivalent of "Your Grace" for bishops (I don't think, for example, that bishops are ever styled "His Grace the Most Reverend", it's either one or the other).   

The style quoted from the GOA Yearbook sounds like an "ethnic" American usage rather than a standard American usage. 

I could be totally wrong on all of this, but it is consistent with my experience.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 12:26:01 PM »

Batiushka Rose pray unto God for us.

Аминь.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 01:04:28 PM »

Also, "Very Reverend" would correspond to an Archimandrite, "Apanosiotatos."

"Right" Reverend corresponds to a bishop, including a Titular Bishop, i.e. His Grace, the Right Reverend Andonios, Titular Bishop of Phasiane, is the Chancellor of the Holy Archdiocese of America.  
In Greek, O Theophilestatos Episcopos Phasianis Kyrios Andonios.

"Most" Reverend applies to a ruling diocesan hierarch of an archdiocese or a metropolis, i.e. The Most Reverend Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh.  O Sevasmiotatos Mitropolitis Pitsvourgu Kyrios Savvas.

Or The "Most" Reverend Demetrios, Archbishop of America, O Sevasmiotatos Archepiscopos Amerikis Kyrios Demetrios.

"Markariotatos," corresponds to the Heads of one of the autocephalous Holy Orthodox Churches, i.e. O Makariotatos Papas Ke Patriarchis Alexandrias Ke Pandis Afrikia, Kyrios, Kyrios Theodoros; His "Beatitude" The Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa, Lord, Lord, Theodore.

(Typically "Lord" is omitted in English language use. Kyrios is also translated to "Mr.")

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:15:43 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »

So what should an Evangelical Protestant ("call no man 'father'") call an Orthodox priest? I take it you're OK with being discourteous.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »

So what should an Evangelical Protestant ("call no man 'father'") call an Orthodox priest? I take it you're OK with being discourteous.

I had no problem calling an Orthodox priest "father" when I was inquiring into the Church.  I ran into trouble on what to call a bishop;  I had no idea.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »

I'm not about being discorteous. I want just not being submissive.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 01:35:45 PM »

If you know for a fact they have a doctorate degree, you can call them "doctor."

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »

Reverend? Pastor?

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »

Certain Orthodox writers would refer to them as "pères" (with a slight derogatory nuance, as in "Frankish"). Not in French, but in Romanian, Greek, etc. 

Or the Greek φρατωρ, the transliteration of frater.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »

Some of them you can address as "Monsignor" (not all priests bear this title, though); bishops are addressed with "Your [His] Excellence/Grace", cardinals "Your [His] Eminence", etc. These sound cold and distant enough for me. Latin "Pater" or Spanish "Padre" might work too - some say that cardinals or bishops wouldn't take too kindly to being called "just" that. Yet a Lutheran clergyman called Pope Benedict "Bruder Joseph" and he didn't mind at all...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:38:40 PM by Romaios » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »

I've noticed there are two ways to referring to priests: "Rev." and "Fr." however both are not neutral and imply some spiritual authority. Does the English have something like that but neutral? Only that notes the person is a minister.

Most American RC Priests ain't gonna care what you call them if it ain't something like child molester.

Really, I think it is no big deal. I call RC Priests Father and did when I didn't care about any religious mumbo jumbo.

Most RC Priests I've known have earned some degree of respect, two syllables at the least.

But I call most people by their titles if that is what they want, nothing is worse than calling a German professor with two PhDs what they should be called, tremble if they managed to get some master's degree as well.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »

That was unexpected.  

Why? Do you read his posts or know where he lives? (What board is this before I go spouting off about my problems with Polish RCs?)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:26:54 PM by orthonorm » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »

But I call most people by their titles if that is what they want, nothing is worse than calling a German professor with two PhDs what they should be called, tremble if they managed to get some master's degree as well.

PhD is an impartial title that does not require evaluating the person. If he was awarded a title "most successful PhD in the world" it would also contain opinion that I'd like to avoid.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 02:36:13 PM »

PhD is an impartial title that does not require evaluating the person. If he was awarded a title "most successful PhD in the world" it would also contain opinion that I'd like to avoid.

Even if he was considered to be the "most successful PhD in the world", he'd still be called "doctor."

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 03:06:42 PM »

Wait till you meet Herr Professor Doktor Doktor Magister Herzog, calling a man Pope will seem like an insult after that.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »

Wait till you meet Herr Professor Doktor Doktor Magister Herzog, calling a man Pope will seem like an insult after that.

Ah, the pleasant German folk and their titular customs laugh.  It's true, though;  you better get it right.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 03:12:30 PM »

Ah, the pleasant German folk and their titular customs laugh.  It's true, though;  you better get it right.
Especially if he's a Latinist and posts on the Internet .
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »

I'm confused why it is a problem to call an RC priest "Father" when that is the standard title used for priests of Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglican clergy in informal/colloquial/'secular' English. Jewish teachers of the Torah are referred to without prejudice in English as "Rabbi", but the non-Jews who refer to them by that standard title are not in fact treating them as their masters, even though that's what that word literally means. So what exactly is the problem? The title has exactly the level of 'submission' that you give to it, unless you want to follow the literalist Protestant argument against calling any man "Father", which as an Orthodox Christian you probably don't.

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »

Herr Professor Doktor Doktor Magister Herzog

I've always been intrigued by such repetitions: they remind me of biological taxonomy where certain species have their names doubled to distinguish them from second brand versions of themselves - vulpes vulpes, pica pica, etc.

Our bishops are also twice Lords: Kyriou Kyr, Mor Moran.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »

Herr Professor Doktor Doktor Magister Herzog

I've always been intrigued by such repetitions: they remind me of biological taxonomy where certain species have their names doubled to distinguish them from second brand versions of themselves - vulpes vulpes, pica pica, etc.

Our bishops are also twice Lords: Kyriou Kyr, Mor Moran.

Quit making my posts informative and useful.

Thanks.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 03:35:02 PM »

I'm confused why it is a problem to call an RC priest "Father" when that is the standard title used for priests of Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglican clergy in informal/colloquial/'secular' English. Jewish teachers of the Torah are referred to without prejudice in English as "Rabbi", but the non-Jews who refer to them by that standard title are not in fact treating them as their masters, even though that's what that word literally means. So what exactly is the problem? The title has exactly the level of 'submission' that you give to it, unless you want to follow the literalist Protestant argument against calling any man "Father", which as an Orthodox Christian you probably don't.

Or you are Michal and have likely your own reasons which don't get parsed in some social nicety flowchart.

Really, I am not surprised by his hesitance given other posts of his. I don't share it, but I don't assume everyone is me though. A novel notion here, I know.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »

The question was asked in the "Practice English" subforum, so for the sake of understanding why the answer to the question in the OP is 'no', standard English usage should be explained. Whether or not Michal or anyone has their own reasons for not wanting to call an RC priest 'Father' is a different issue than whether or not calling an RC priest "Father" in standard English is considered a sign of submission or an evaluative term. It isn't, or at least not any more than calling a Jewish teacher of the Torah 'Rabbi' could be considered the same. There are probably some who don't like that, either, for their own reasons; that's neither here nor there, as it doesn't make the title a sign of submission or a value judgment on the part of those who use it. It may, however, point to ideological motivations on the part of those who won't.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »

Asking because in Polish there is honorific that means a person is a Christian priest without any further implications.

(some Catholics refuse to use it for Protestants because they do  not consider their ordinations valid but that's another one topic)

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »

Yeah, there really isn't anything like that in English that I know of. "Father" as a title is a non-evaluative term for Catholic and Orthodox clergy in standard English; it only takes on prejudicial hues in specifically religious contexts, and often not even then (I have certainly heard and read statements from believers in many different creeds in which Catholic priests are referred to as "Father so-and-so", even in explicitly negative contexts). That's why I was confused about your reasoning.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »

Understood! Finally!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: